ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Basketball loss that still haunts you

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Richmond 1998, living in Richmond, Va and having attended VCU, I'm all for the bugs getting squshed whenever possible. I've mentioned I'm a Gamecock fan it almost never fails that someone brings this damn game up. Though I was a kid at the time, I knew enough to know the run we had been on as one of the top teams in the country was over. And we have not been a consistent top ten ranked team like that since, even when we made the final four run in 2017.

2006 SEC tourney championship game. 49-47 loss to Florida who we beat twice in regular season.
29 years into the SEC and we’re still searching for a conference tournament title.

Not to mention Florida would go on to win it all in the 2006 season

I haven’t thought about this game in years so it doesn’t “haunt”, but it’s definitely one of those that makes you say if only

Losing to Furman in 1974 NCAA tourney, anyone?
That one ranks right up there because it was an in-state school. We had 3 future N.B.A. players, but no true “Big Man”. By contrast, Furman had 7’1” “Moose” Leonard & not only was Clyde Mayes 6’9”, he was built like an NFL TE or DE. Despite that, Carolina had built an 11 point lead early in the 2nd half. That’s nothing today, but...in the days of no shot clock & no 3 pointer...we could have done a better job of milking the game clock. Had excellent ball handlers & free-throw shooters. Some young guys took some quick, low-percentage shots & Mayes + Leonard were killing us on the boards. Once the mo’ shifted in earnest, that was all she wrote!!

Reactions: mickmick7
For our generation, nothing comes close. That was a meltdown of catastrophic proportions.

No doubt. I kept watching the game thinking surely this won’t be a loss. Somehow BJ, Melvin or Larry will save the day. I still cannot believe we lost that game even today.

Honestly Richmond wasn’t even a shock to me. Much better opponent, much better coach. We had lost Larry Davis to graduation and had the 500 pound gorilla of choking to Coppin State questions all week.

For me it's Copping State. What a huge let down after such a great season and even beating Kentucky on senior day. We came out flat and finished even flatter. Just a brutal disappointing loss.

Honorable mention to the final four loss to Gonzaga. With a 100% Sin playing, there's no question in my mind we win that game and play UNCheat for the championship. Our defense alone would have given us an excellent chance to win it all.

1. Coppin State. Inexcusable. Basically ended Fogler's run as a hot commodity
2. The loss of all the coaches Hyman could've hired before he settled on a guy who made 1 tournament in 5 years at Western Kentucky. Our program has been brutal ever since.

For our generation, nothing comes close. That was a meltdown of catastrophic proportions.
I don’t know which one hurt more... Copin St or Richmond the following year...

The loss to the Zags a few years ago in the final four was not as painful for some reason even though it kept us out of the NC game..

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Richmond 1998, living in Richmond, Va and having attended VCU, I'm all for the bugs getting squshed whenever possible. I've mentioned I'm a Gamecock fan it almost never fails that someone brings this damn game up. Though I was a kid at the time, I knew enough to know the run we had been on as one of the top teams in the country was over. And we have not been a consistent top ten ranked team like that since, even when we made the final four run in 2017.

What yr?

2006 SEC tourney championship game. 49-47 loss to Florida who we beat twice in regular season.
29 years into the SEC and we’re still searching for a conference tournament title.

I haven’t thought about this game in years so it doesn’t “haunt”, but it’s definitely one of those that makes you say if only
That was a tough loss. I think it may be the worst because it kept us out of the NCAA. I took my two sons to the game. They were young and had fun. I think the statistic I remember most about that game was we missed more shots than they took. That was an unbelievable tournament for us. What an effort. Our shots were often short and I attribute that to having to play more games. They just seemed tired.

Nothing close...

BSJCBZJGLNBYRIHN4YCHBG3ESA.jpg

As has been posted a coupla times, the NCS loss in the ACC championship game. A loss that lies at Cremin's feet as he made a lazy pass to John and NCS player was just waiting for it.
Surprisingly our greatest MBB coach coached that game not to lose instead of to win.
It still bothers me after all these years. I saw that agony live on tv.

I was in the pep band and remember the layer of fog inside the Philadelphia Pelastra (sic). We couldn’t figure out why 2 teams 100 miles apart had to go there to play each other. Both teams Pep Band’s comprised 90% of the crowd.
In those days, the Palestra was known as the Cathedral of College Basketball.

Go Cocks!

N.C. State in Double-Overtime. 1970 A.C.C. Tourney Finals

Indeed! May have cost us the natty.
Many were anticipating a USC-UCLA matchup for the national title. Even if we had somehow beaten NCSU, I doubt we would have made it to the title game.

And thus, the 79-63 win over Wake Forest in the semi-final matchup the night before in which Roche injured his ankle is the Gamecock Basketball win which still haunts me.

As has been posted a coupla times, the NCS loss in the ACC championship game. A loss that lies at Cremins' feet as he made a lazy pass to John and NCS player was just waiting for it.
Surprisingly our greatest MBB coach coached that game not to lose instead of to win.
I want to like your post. I agree with the agony (I saw it on TV too). I can't like agony.

• Love
Reactions: jerryusc
As has been posted a coupla times, the NCS loss in the ACC championship game. A loss that lies at Cremin's feet as he made a lazy pass to John and NCS player was just waiting for it.
Surprisingly our greatest MBB coach coached that \game not to lose instead of to win.
the NCSU loss was like a death in the family

maybe worse

go cocks!

Coppin State is no doubt #1, but this game is a really close second for me. We weren’t high powered on offense by any means, but Tre Kelley was playing really well and we possibly could’ve won a couple in the big dance had we pulled this one out.

The more I think about this, maybe Gonzaga was the more difficult loss. Coppin State was embarrassing, but man we were so tantalizingly close to playing for a national title. Since I went out to Phoenix, it would have been really cool to see that Final Four team run out the tunnel for one more game.

If we would have won it then that South Carolina basketball team would have been like the Villanova team that upset Georgetown. One of the biggest Cinderella stories ever. I also can’t help but wonder how winning a national title in basketball would have helped the program. There’s a significant difference between making a run and winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT