ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Football Loss That Still Haunts You

I've become hardened and cynical about GC FB after decades of mostly disappointment. Now I usually don't expect a big time win but still can get excited when it happens. My attitude kinda POes me because it was fun/not fun getting so up for a game.

The best coach IMO was Jim Carlen. The fact that he was fired says it all about the attitude of the powers that control USC FB. Would get so excited when those teams won and so POed when they lost. Wife would laugh at me because I let a FB game mean so much.

Now, am kinda low key excited about Shane. He's likeable and for some reason I feel he will kick some ass of non-performing coaches and players. He knows what it takes to win and doesn't have the gold digger attitude of unowho. If he can get the fans, team and players to buy in we may see a better future than we did with SS.

push off ?
Someone already mentioned that one but IMO we had the better team in 2007 as well. That was the one they kicked a FG as time expired, which was ironic because the year before was the wide right game.

88 Georgia Tech undefeated, Ellis a Heisman candidate, and lose to a team with no D1 win in 2 years.

01 Arkansas. Undefeated ranked #9 and lose to a 2-3 team on a last second blocked FG

07 Vandy

Could go on all day

88 Georgia Tech undefeated, Ellis a Heisman candidate, and lose to a team with no D1 win in 2 years.

01 Arkansas. Undefeated ranked #9 and lose to a 2-3 team on a last second blocked FG

07 Vandy

Could go on all day
Yes that trip to Lanta was a bummer, especially sitting in the sun ☀️

Couple of rules.

1) DO NOT SAY NAVY (time to put that one to bed).

2) Has to be a loss by 10 points or less

For me it was the Push Off game at Clemson in 2000. I was on The Hill and it happened right in front of me. I can’t forget the extended arm nor the freaking roar when he caught the ball.
I was so angry after the push off that it might have been the beginning of the the end of my first marriage.

I was in the backyard kicking this bucket around repeatedly to the point that I hurt my foot. My wife thought I had lost my mind and I kind of had.

I promised her and myself at that point that I was never going to take a football game that seriously again. I haven't.

2013 at Tennessee was pretty rough though.

Yes that trip to Lanta was a bummer, especially sitting in the sun ☀️

I was too young to remember Navy. 88 GT was my first true introduction to Gamecock sports. Then late that spring being up 14 on Louisville with 1 minute left and losing due to a brawl made 8 year old me realize being a Carolina fan wasn't going to be easy

Couple of rules.

1) DO NOT SAY NAVY (time to put that one to bed).

2) Has to be a loss by 10 points or less

For me it was the Push Off game at Clemson in 2000. I was on The Hill and it happened right in front of me. I can’t forget the extended arm nor the freaking roar when he caught the ball.
I was in their west end zone and watched us take the lead with the TD scored on the fumble recovery in the end zone (Watson fumbled, can’t remember who recovered). Was a great feeling but quickly went away with the no call on that “completion.”

If it's not Navy (and it certainly is) then it would have to be Auburn in the SEC title game. I know it doesn't meet your random criterion of 10 points or fewer, but I've never believed in arbitrary rules anyway. 2010 SECCG to Auburn is certainly the most important game we lost.
Of course you are right, but we had already lost 3 games that year and we knew $cam was the man that season.

Some of these others like Auburn/LSU/UT in 2011/12/13 were so much worse because we had a real chance at history and we were kind of even media darlings.

Those 3 games basically wrecked our program but we didn't know that at the time.

2013 at UT no doubt . No way we should have lost that game . UT was awful and we should have won by 2 scores . I just remember that kid for UT making that miracle 1 handed catch on 3rd and a mile that ended up costing us the game . In my opinion that game cost us a potential shot to take things to the next level . Awful awful loss .

Reactions: Gradstudent
NAVY! However, if we are not counting that game, for me it would be the '86 game vs NCST......a 23-22 loss. I was at that game and remember it like it was yesterday. On one of the the last plays with 33 seconds left and State with 4th down and long from our 35 yard line or so, their QB (Kramer) throws one to the end zone. The receiver was well covered and he had to push off of our defender to make the winning catch. There was a penalty flag thrown in the end zone for the the push off but the official hurriedly rushed over and simply picked it up and put it in his back pocket. I was crushed not only because of the loss but I had witnessed for the first time up close the corruption that can occur in college football. The game has never been the same for me ever since that day.....

Reactions: jerryusc
NAVY! However, if we are not counting that game, for me it would be the '86 game vs NCST......a 23-22 loss. I was at that game and remember it like it was yesterday. On one of the the last plays with 33 seconds left and State with 4th down and long from our 35 yard line or so, their QB (Kramer) throws one to the end zone. The receiver was well covered and he had to push off of our defender to make the winning catch. There was a penalty flag thrown in the end zone for the the push off but the official hurriedly rushed over and simply picked it up and put it in his back pocket. I was crushed not only because of the loss but I had witnessed for the first time up close the corruption that can occur in college football. The game has never been the same for me ever since that day.....

I was not there and did not see it on TV, I was a kid at the time, heard a lot of games in mid 80's messing in the garage with my Dad on the radio, but some highlights came on youtube in 2012.

I was excited I could see some footage from this game and see what everyone was talking about!

You did not say, but I heard for years, we were not offsides on the prior play to the last one, and the game should have ended, but we were offsides to me, # 84 left foot it at the same place as the ball, LOL.

Hard to see the push off, the NC State guy is moving backwards though and our 2 guys dont act like they get knocked forward much from the replay, more of jump and miss, but I was not there. Its not big obvious Rod Gardner push off shove in my opinion.

Last play starts at 2:20 and the offsides is before

Last edited:
The 1977 ClemSux game (Fuller to Butler catch in the endzone) took the breath out of me as did the 2006 Florida game when Jarvis "Pothead" Moss blocked Ryan Succop's 48 yard FG to secure their win.

I've become hardened and cynical about GC FB after decades of mostly disappointment. Now I usually don't expect a big time win but still can get excited when it happens. My attitude kinda POes me because it was fun/not fun getting so up for a game.

The best coach IMO was Jim Carlen. The fact that he was fired says it all about the attitude of the powers that control USC FB. Would get so excited when those teams won and so POed when they lost. Wife would laugh at me because I let a FB game mean so much.

Now, am kinda low key excited about Shane. He's likeable and for some reason I feel he will kick some ass of non-performing coaches and players. He knows what it takes to win and doesn't have the gold digger attitude of unowho. If he can get the fans, team and players to buy in we may see a better future than we did with SS.
What does cynical mean?

I was not there and did not see it on TV, I was a kid at the time, heard a lot of games in mid 80's messing in the garage with my Dad on the radio, but some highlights came on youtube in 2012.

I was excited I could see some footage from this game and see what everyone was talking about!

You did not say, but I heard for years, we were not offsides on the prior play to the last one, and the game should have ended, but we were offsides to me, # 84 left foot it at the same place as the ball, LOL.

Hard to see the push off, the NC State guy is moving backwards though and our 2 guys dont act like they get knocked forward much from the replay, more of jump and miss, but I was not there. Its not big obvious Rod Gardner push off shove in my opinion.

Last play starts at 2:20 and the offsides is before

Yes. We were definitely offsides on the previous play. However, the push off was equally as egregious as the Rod Gardner push off (I was in the stands for that game as well). It was compounded by the fact that the ref actually threw a flag on the play. Additionally, there was movement on the offensive line prior to the ball being snapped. The video clip you are referencing does not show the entire end zone and does not truly depict what actually occurred. I was sitting on the 20 yard line on that end of the field with the sun at our backs so I had a clear view of what took place. I was with my cousin who was a season ticket holder at State and he agreed that we got hosed.....

Last edited:
Navy game had the most damage. Cost a trip to the national championship. The way things were going that year I’ll always believe Gamecocks would have won it

UNC in Charlotte 2 years ago....Boy did that help UNC recruiting while hurting us in Charlotte and the rest of NC close to our border....

I love to hear the UNC fans say their has now been a fence wrapped around NC...The jokes on them as Dabo can go into NC and get practically who he wants...well unless of course UGA is recruiting the same athletes in NC....

Still think there was a good chance we lose in taterville the next week even if we had beaten Navy. We’ll never know, of course. I can just see us holding an Orange Bowl bid & losing to that bunch. We had lived a charmed existence up until that day. If the magic coach was gonna turn back into a pumpkin, I would rather have it happen in Annapolis than UPC (had been there for 2 humiliating defeats in which we were heavily favored. 1976 &...esp. ...1980). While Navy was a big disappointment (imagining what might have been), it doesn’t “haunt” me nearly as much as it does many on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT