ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock pause basketball because of covid19 wont play Wofford Thursday. *

Covid hoax strikes again. Bunch of crap.
Science is hard. I realize that not everyone can understand. There’s no shame in that. It’s a little like the moon landings - it could be fake until you look at the actual science and hear it described by the many thousands of scientists who can explain it. Covid is similar. Immunology is hard. It was one of the hardest sections I had in grad school. Public health policy is difficult - there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of strong opinions. That’s why smart scientists make careers out of it. That’s why scientists get so frustrated when well known leaders disparage common sense things like wearing masks and a quarter of the country decides their rights are more important. And sure, there are a few scientists who say Covid is no big deal - but they are shunned by the weight of knowledge of the world-wide science community and the many thousands of scientists across all disciplines around the world that are working to solve this problem.

Again, all of this is difficult. You don’t have to understand it. But you should ask yourself why so many very smart people think Covid is a big scary deal. You don’t have to read the scientific journals, as I’m sure they are beyond your understanding. That’s ok. But you can read the Cliff’s notes. If your news network doesn’t give you this type of scientific information, you should check other sources occasionally. Not every day, as it might be unsettling at first.

If it's actual positive tests with no follow-up negative results, we could see 3-4 games cancelled. A good thing we're so close to the holiday break - that could limit the total number of games lost...

Reactions: bayrooster
Science is hard. I realize that not everyone can understand. There’s no shame in that. It’s a little like the moon landings - it could be fake until you look at the actual science and hear it described by the many thousands of scientists who can explain it. Covid is similar. Immunology is hard. It was one of the hardest sections I had in grad school. Public health policy is difficult - there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of strong opinions. That’s why smart scientists make careers out of it. That’s why scientists get so frustrated when well known leaders disparage common sense things like wearing masks and a quarter of the country decides their rights are more important. And sure, there are a few scientists who say Covid is no big deal - but they are shunned by the weight of knowledge of the world-wide science community and the many thousands of scientists across all disciplines around the world that are working to solve this problem.

Again, all of this is difficult. You don’t have to understand it. But you should ask yourself why so many very smart people think Covid is a big scary deal. You don’t have to read the scientific journals, as I’m sure they are beyond your understanding. That’s ok. But you can read the Cliff’s notes. If your news network doesn’t give you this type of scientific information, you should check other sources occasionally. Not every day, as it might be unsettling at first.
Science is when hypothesis is 100% proven. We have a lot of hypothesis so far and are not 100% proven. Do shut downs stop anything or do they just delay it? Does any mask besides K95 mask help? Those are questions that have not been answered. When this has passed then you will have data to support what the science actually is and not what is guessed to be.

Science is when hypothesis is 100% proven. We have a lot of hypothesis so far and are not 100% proven. Do shut downs stop anything or do they just delay it? Does any mask besides K95 mask help? Those are questions that have not been answered. When this has passed then you will have data to support what the science actually is and not what is guessed to be.
That’s not what science is

One of the first things learned in even a mediocre high school science class is that a scientific hypothesis cannot be proven 100% correct. It can only be proven incorrect. That said, the entire premise of your post is incorrect.

One of the first things learned in even a mediocre high school science class is that a scientific hypothesis cannot be proven 100% correct. It can only be proven incorrect. That said, the entire premise of your post is incorrect.
The principles and empirical processes of discovery and demonstration considered characteristic of or necessary for scientific investigation, generally involving the observation of phenomena, the formulation of a hypothesis concerning the phenomena, experimentation to test the hypothesis, and development of a conclusion that confirms, rejects, or modifies the hypothesis.

Science must also be reproducible. There is no such thing as settled science. Science must always be open to testing, and re-testing.

At one time the earth was flat, according to the "settled science" of the day.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Houston has reported several cases in their program and halted things also. So one of the two teams had something and exposed the other it looks like. Not sure which way it is though.

You don't understand logical positivism or the scientific method do you?

The principles and empirical processes of discovery and demonstration considered characteristic of or necessary for scientific investigation, generally involving the observation of phenomena, the formulation of a hypothesis concerning the phenomena, experimentation to test the hypothesis, and development of a conclusion that confirms, rejects, or modifies the hypothesis.
Nice copy and paste, you can confirm a hypothesis but it can almost never be 100% proven because there are countless conditions (many unable to be even considered by the scientist) where it might not be that scientifically- stating it is 100% is just a lie.

you are wrong and no copy and pasting will help that

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
end-of-the-world.jpg

These are all debatable topics, as opposed to the post I was referring to that called Covid a hoax. There can be reasonable discussions here. I will push back a little, though.

True science is rarely 100% proven hypothesis, and that’s ok. Research involves saying I’ve got a great idea, trying to prove it, and then handing it to the rest of the science community to confirm or deny. Picture a huge funnel with lots of ideas toward the edges. Over time, the research gets more and more centered, eventually leading to consensus. With Covid, there are still many unknowns, but consensus is gathering from treatment options to mechanism of action to immune response. We know a ton more than we knew in March. But we will never be 100% proven. That’s ok. That’s how all fields of science gather toward consensus.

Of course N95 masks are the most effective mask technique, but they are expensive and uncomfortable and not readily available. Lesser effective masks decrease total number of droplets, from your end if you wear one, and from my end if I wear one. Decreasing the infectious dose greatly improves the chances that your own immune system (both innate like nose hairs and mucous and systemic) can prevent an infection. Think of the difference between kissing a spouse who is an asymptotic spreader vs sharing an isle in the grocery store for two minutes with an asymptotic spreader who is wearing a cloth face mask.

And of course lockdowns COULD work, but not partial lockdowns, and frankly not any practical form of lockdown that the economy could survive (a month of everyone on earth staying home would remove Covid, but that ain’t happening). But lockdowns, even partial ones have been shown to decrease cases for a few months everywhere they have been done. There is much debate over whether they are a good idea, but little debate that they decrease cases. I imagine that in most local places, the only thing that could lead our conservative leaders to consider it would be disaster at the hospitals, with a loss of ability to manage the sick and dying.

Anyway, those are some thoughts for debatable points like yours. But with my original snarky post, I was simply addressing the “hoax”. Good luck and stay safe!!!

Last edited:
Nice copy and paste, you can confirm a hypothesis but it can almost never be 100% proven because there are countless conditions (many unable to be even considered by the scientist) where it might not be that scientifically- stating it is 100% is just a lie.

you are wrong and no copy and pasting will help that
Science says the air we breathe is made of nitrogen, oxygen and trace gases. Is that 100% proven or not? You didn't read the last sentence in the definition of proven Science, did you? It's all good. Thanks for your input.

Am I the only one who thought this was sarcasm?
it isnt a Hoax, Neither is the Flu, Bronchitis, etc etc etc.. The Left and the Media needed this to have any chance at stealing an Election.. It is Blown out of proportion... at first many "Experts" said that MILLIONS of Americans would die from this, they had to blame the POTUS and make him look as bad as possible.. How many die from the FLU in America in a normal year?? 50,000?? i guarantee many, that have unfortunately and sadly, passed away "With COVID" very well would have passed with a regular Flu strain... Again, i dont think it was a HOAX, but it was used To Perfection by the left.. AS several Liberal "Stars" have noted, COIVD was "God's" gift to the Liberals..

Houston has reported several cases in their program and halted things also. So one of the two teams had something and exposed the other it looks like. Not sure which way it is though.

Seeing as how Kelvin Sampson and his son sat out the game, I can come up with a pretty good guess as to which team may have caused the problem we have now..

Science says the air we breathe is made of nitrogen, oxygen and trace gases. Is that 100% proven or not? You didn't read the last sentence in the definition of proven Science, did you? It's all good. Thanks for your input.
Do you think every breath you take has the exact same ratio and gasses in it? Nope? Then it’s not 100%

I mean you put it right in your question, “trace gasses” is an unidentifiable variable and thus not 100% verifiable

I don't think anyone thinks the existence of the virus is a hoax. But the drama, exaggerations, and hysteria propaganda present themselves as such; indeed, "DrMikey"s post above is an example of that. The .gov websites and the msm/social media juggernaut tell two different tales. One is pounded daily into the brains of the populace, the other requires some digging. We each have our own personal experiences; mine include a friend that passed away with physicians unable to determine COD and so was attributed to covid even though all tests were negative, and another involving a life long friend with a history of blood disorders and infections whom I had gone to the hospital twice in the past 20 years to (fortunately prematurely) say goodbye to, who about three months back was hospitalized with covid, on a ventilator for an extended period, and was discharged three days after receiving the antibody+zinc treatment. If there's ANYONE on the planet that should have died from contracting a deadly disease on top of everything else this guy has, it was him. He is now in PT and back writing articles for some hobby car magazine.

My personal opinion, and thats all it is, is to either shite or get off the pot. Society has always faced diseases. If we are not going to face it, then shut everything the #$%^ down and put everyone on the dole. Just quit dicking people around.

And you do know that the composition of our atmosphere has changed over time, right?

These are all debatable topics, as opposed to the post I was referring to that called Covid a hoax. There can be reasonable discussions here. I will push back a little, though.

True science is rarely 100% proven hypothesis, and that’s ok. Research involves saying I’ve got a great idea, trying to prove it, and then handing it to the rest of the science community to confirm or deny. Picture a huge funnel with lots of ideas toward the edges. Over time, the research gets more and more centered, eventually leading to consensus. With Covid, there are still many unknowns, but consensus is gathering from treatment options to mechanism of action to immune response. We know a ton more than we knew in March. But we will never be 100% proven. That’s ok. That’s how all fields of science gather toward consensus.

Of course N95 masks are the most effective mask technique, but they are expensive and uncomfortable and not readily available. Lesser effective masks decrease total number of droplets, from your end if you wear one, and from my end if I wear one. Decreasing the infectious dose greatly improves the chances that your own immune system (both innate like nose hairs and mucous and systemic) can prevent an infection. Think of the difference between kissing a spouse who is an asymptotic spreader vs sharing an isle in the grocery store for two minutes with an asymptotic spreader who is wearing a cloth face mask.

And of course lockdowns COULD work, but not partial lockdowns, and frankly not any practical form of lockdown that the economy could survive (a month of everyone on earth staying home would remove Covid, but that ain’t happening). But lockdowns, even partial ones have been shown to decrease cases for a few months everywhere they have been done. There is much debate over whether they are a good idea, but little debate that they decrease cases. I imagine that in most local places, the only thing that could lead our conservative leaders to consider it would be disaster at the hospitals, with a loss of ability to manage the sick and dying.

Anyway, those are some thoughts for debatable points like yours. But with my original snarky post, I was simply addressing the “hoax”. Good luck and stay safe!!!
I'll only debate one of your points. I am a retired infusion pharmacist. As a daily routine, I we always wore masks to reduce the likelihood of contaminating the sterile products which we manipulated (from bacteria and droplets). The masks were disposable so we only used them once. I am an advocate of keeping reasonable distancing, hand cleaning, and resisting touching the point of entry areas of the face - eyes, nose, and mouth. However, to think that the way masks are worn is effective is denying the obvious. Most are more fashion statement than anything else. They're probably rarely cleaned and usually not worn properly. They provide a false sense of security. As I'm sure you know - viruses are tiny and a mask won't stop them (think BBs being shot at a chain link fence). They will stop droplets, but so will the common courtesy of turning your head and covering your mouth. I'm also an advocate of protecting the vulnerable and allowing the natural course of herd immunity, but that's another discussion.

I'll only debate one of your points. I am a retired infusion pharmacist. As a daily routine, I we always wore masks to reduce the likelihood of contaminating the sterile products which we manipulated (from bacteria and droplets). The masks were disposable so we only used them once. I am an advocate of keeping reasonable distancing, hand cleaning, and resisting touching the point of entry areas of the face - eyes, nose, and mouth. However, to think that the way masks are worn is effective is denying the obvious. Most are more fashion statement than anything else. They're probably rarely cleaned and usually not worn properly. They provide a false sense of security. As I'm sure you know - viruses are tiny and a mask won't stop them (think BBs being shot at a chain link fence). They will stop droplets, but so will the common courtesy of turning your head and covering your mouth. I'm also an advocate of protecting the vulnerable and allowing the natural course of herd immunity, but that's another discussion.
you’re not stopping the virus particles you are stopping the aerosol droplets you breathe out (or in)

and yes turning your head will reduce the likelihood as will wearing a mask

Reactions: DrMickey
Also attempting a herd immunity without a widely available vaccine is completely asinine and dangerous not to mention not even completely sure possible with covid 19

Reactions: DrMickey
Some of y'all are ridiculous, over a quarter million people have ready died from complications of this virus in this country in less than a year. More than 3 times the amount of people that could fill out Williams-Brice stadium and some still think it's a hoax and overblown. Right now we're on pace to outdo the amount of US casualties in WWII which is the most amount death by Americans in combat. The saddest part is if we all weren't so stubborn we could have minimize the impact on businesses and the general health if we just took the proper measures to help minimize it's spread.

Also there is a false equivalency to you using masks as a pharmacist which your number one goal is prevention of bacteria which can thrive and persist on fabric

however covid 19 does not do well on fabrics and thus when people do not actively clean them, letting them dry out for hours or days will be fine,bacteria will persist but not the virus

Science must also be reproducible. There is no such thing as settled science. Science must always be open to testing, and re-testing.

At one time the earth was flat, according to the "settled science" of the day.
Millions on Facebook still believe it to be true that the world is flat- they brag about having member “from all AROUND the world”! 🤦‍♂️

Most who have contracted the virus say that they always wore mask. IMO and I repeat.... IMO the vaccine and then herd immunity is the only thing that will stop this. Still 98 percent recovery and most who get it don't even know they have it. JMO, JMO,JMO

Reactions: bucketdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT