ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock player of the decade?

Based on some quotes from Staley taken from the article you linked, I am not sure that it was all about timing. It seems as though she felt snubbed and that had a lot to do with it. She also mentioned "some things" had transpired over the last few months. Was the Kapernick saga one of those things or Steph. Curry declining to go? Personally, I think they should have gone, regardless, and it should have been mandated by the USC administration. They are the only women's basketball national championship team NOT to attend the White House since 1983. Not a good look IMO.
Of course she felt snubbed, because she was snubbed. She basically begged for an invite and didn't get one for 6 months during the next season. Again you're doing a lot of assuming, what does Kapernick, Curry or anybody else have to do with Dawn? She has been very diplomatic and at a time when no one else wanted to go to the White House , Dawn was one of the few willing to go, if anything a national championship team not being invited in a timely manner is a worse look than not going, its even worse when you consider that we had to ask the governor to expedite the invite, especially when UNC was individually invited for 9 different dates that year, before ultimately declining. This forcing of personal political opinions on a coach's actions by fans, based on misinformation is what leads to a great coach like Dawn to seek employment elsewhere. We have top tier coach who has been a great ambassador to this university, I see no reason to throw her under the bus.

no idea what she looks like or her position. Almost no one does outside of Columbia. Nothing wrong with women’s basketball but i don’t follow it at all. Maybe if my little girl was on the team. If a women’s basketball player is our player of the decade then that is embarrassing.
You're projecting your opinion onto others, and that doesn't work. Just because you don't follow it, you are making the blanket statement that no one else does, and you're wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with A'ja Wilson being player of the decade. I hope you improve your attitude for your daughter's sake.

The decision as to whether or not they went to the White House should have been made by the athletic director and the university. Dawn Staley is paid handsomely by the University and the players get scholarships to represent the University. Dawn Staley’s politics should not have played into it.
Her politics had nothing to do with it. Do some research before posting.

Reactions: Gamekem
Her politics did play into it she said herself she only respected the office not the man.maybe you should do some research a-hole
Maybe you should brush up on your comprehension. Respecting the office is all that anyone needs to do.

I did follow women's basketball on their run to the title, but once they shunned their invitation to the White House due to politics, I stopped caring or following. I have to assume that decision was based on a team vote or maybe Staley directly, but either way, it was disgraceful. For this reason alone, I wouldn't nominate a player from that team.
Why disgraceful? Because some people who don't agree with your point of view might have the principle to act on their point of view? In any case that's not why they didn't go but even if it was, not disgraceful.

The decision as to whether or not they went to the White House should have been made by the athletic director and the university. Dawn Staley is paid handsomely by the University and the players get scholarships to represent the University. Dawn Staley’s politics should not have played into it.

Based on some quotes from Staley taken from the article you linked, I am not sure that it was all about timing. It seems as though she felt snubbed and that had a lot to do with it. She also mentioned "some things" had transpired over the last few months. Was the Kapernick saga one of those things or Steph. Curry declining to go? Personally, I think they should have gone, regardless, and it should have been mandated by the USC administration. They are the only women's basketball national championship team NOT to attend the White House since 1983. Not a good look IMO.

We haven’t gotten an invitation yet and that in itself speaks volumes. We won before those other teams won their championships. I don’t know what else has to happen.”

Staley said at the time she wasn't sure her team, which won the title in April, would go now if invited. The night her squad won the school’s first national championship, the Hall of Famer said the team would go to the White House because “it’s what it stands for. It’s what national champions do.”

That was before “some things,” as Staley put it in September, “transpired over the last few months. I haven’t talked to anyone about it. I got bigger fish to fry than worry about an invitation.”
So now the university should try to force people to do something, even if it is disruptive to the schedule after being disrespected, and even if it were to be something they were diametrically opposed to? These women aren't slaves, but intelligent thinking human beings capable of making their own adult decisions. The mentality of some people on here amazes me.

Reactions: Gamekem
And dumb enough to admit it.

insulting those that disagree with you like an 8 year old, doesn’t convince me or anyone else to change their position. Maybe public forums aren’t your thing? Good luck with your pre-pubescent retort. I hope women’s basketball wins every game but I have no interest. Happy new year.

insulting those that disagree with you like an 8 year old, doesn’t convince me or anyone else to change their position. Maybe public forums aren’t your thing? Good luck with your pre-pubescent retort. I hope women’s basketball wins every game but I have no interest. Happy new year.
LOL. This isn't about me. It's about you

No one is mentioning Christian Walker!! He is the right there with Aja when it comes to accomplishments. Back to Back NCs and played for a third!

The Best Carolina Baseball Player of all time in my opinion. His body of work statistically is one thing,
but the key hits in big games. Huge plays like a stolen base which turned into a run to beat Florida with a broken hand!! Defensively, the diving stop on the last out to beat Clemson back to back to send us on to play UCLA. The crushing three run homer to beat Coastal, just to name a few. This guy was Carolina Baseball for his three years!!

This web site states:

"Walker was by far the most consistent and prolific players of the decade, putting together a great three years, including an impressive performance in the 2011 championship series after breaking his hand. He ended his career hitting .336 with 30 home runs and 168 RBI and was on the College World Series All-Tournament team every single season he was at South Carolina."

He is in my opinion the Player of the Decade!!!

No one is mentioning Christian Walker!! He is the right there with Aja when it comes to accomplishments. Back to Back NCs and played for a third!

The Best Carolina Baseball Player of all time in my opinion. His body of work statistically is one thing,
but the key hits in big games. Huge plays like a stolen base which turned into a run to beat Florida with a broken hand!! Defensively, the diving stop on the last out to beat Clemson back to back to send us on to play UCLA. The crushing three run homer to beat Coastal, just to name a few. This guy was Carolina Baseball for his three years!!

This web site states:

"Walker was by far the most consistent and prolific players of the decade, putting together a great three years, including an impressive performance in the 2011 championship series after breaking his hand. He ended his career hitting .336 with 30 home runs and 168 RBI and was on the College World Series All-Tournament team every single season he was at South Carolina."

He is in my opinion the Player of the Decade!!!
Whether or not I agree that CW is the POD, I like how you support your argument, and that alone was worth the read.

Of course, we still have another year to go before the decade ends. Anything can happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT