ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks sailing team

sandlapper59

Jan 24, 2015
This past weekend, collegiate teams from 18 universities competed in sailing races on the waters bordering my town of Oriental ,NC. This was the fourth year that this event has attracted greater participation in the compettion. As racing sailboats was my main arena of competitive sport, I follow these events with interest. As might be expected, teams from further south generally dominate in races held this early in the year for the obvious reason of being able to practice more often. The single Gamecock team did very well, placing fourth with Clemson in third and Jacksonville taking the two top places. The Gamecock team is prominently sailing hard in one of the attached photos.

This is one sport where male and female athletes compete on completely equal terms although the Olympics still split them.

http://towndock.net/news/collegiate-sailors-attend-sailpack-regatta-2018

Reactions: Minarcsik
This past weekend, collegiate teams from 18 universities competed in sailing races on the waters bordering my town of Oriental ,NC. This was the fourth year that this event has attracted greater participation in the compettion. As racing sailboats was my main arena of competitive sport, I follow these events with interest. As might be expected, teams from further south generally dominate in races held this early in the year for the obvious reason of being able to practice more often. The single Gamecock team did very well, placing fourth with Clemson in third and Jacksonville taking the two top places. The Gamecock team is prominently sailing hard in one of the attached photos.

This is one sport where male and female athletes compete on completely equal terms although the Olympics still split them.

http://towndock.net/news/collegiate-sailors-attend-sailpack-regatta-2018
Used to race Hobie 16's back in the day, the absolute most fun you can have on the water! Learned to sail off of Myrtle back in the early 80's! Miss those days....

Reactions: Gaimcock
Used to race Hobie 16's back in the day, the absolute most fun you can have on the water! Learned to sail off of Myrtle back in the early 80's! Miss those days....
Same here, back in the 80s and right off the coast of Myrtle but basically right beside the Springmaid pier! Wonder if we've met back then?!?!

Downwind Sails......Charlie and the gang. Division 9 Hobie Fleet. Nothing like flying on a reach and hitting a sea turtle! 80169 was my sail number!

Downwind Sails......Charlie and the gang. Division 9 Hobie Fleet. Nothing like flying on a reach and hitting a sea turtle! 80169 was my sail number!
Man, one time my buddy and I were out about 4 miles or so and I was hanging over the high side of that 18' catamaran, when all of a sudden a high wind gust pushed us COMPLETELY OVER!! I mean the sail was straight down in the water and both hulls were upside down! Man, this big F'n shark just kinda cruises by!! Took a few, but we got the boat back upright and then cruised on! Guess youda needed to be there to perfectly appreciate how all that looked at the moment!!

Man, one time my buddy and I were out about 4 miles or so and I was hanging over the high side of that 18' catamaran, when all of a sudden a high wind gust pushed us COMPLETELY OVER!! I mean the sail was straight down in the water and both hulls were upside down!

You “turtled” .. which is a very difficult situation to overcome..especially offshore...I’ve been there before.. huge props to you for overcoming that dilemma..

Man, one time my buddy and I were out about 4 miles or so and I was hanging over the high side of that 18' catamaran, when all of a sudden a high wind gust pushed us COMPLETELY OVER!! I mean the sail was straight down in the water and both hulls were upside down!

You “turtled” .. which is a very difficult situation to overcome..especially offshore...I’ve been there before.. huge props to you for overcoming that dilemma..
It’s not too bad if your mast is sealed but if they fill with water you are there until help arrives. Been there done it both ways.

danny_dristorMember
New

Did the same thing in Charleston Harbor...Years ago. Needed the Coast Guard to come out and pull the Catamaran back upright.

danny_dristorMember
New

Did the same thing in Charleston Harbor...Years ago. Needed the Coast Guard to come out and pull the Catamaran back upright.

Man, our mast was sealed and I was already leaning on one of the ropes we used to pull her back over. It came up very slow at first, then she just kinda started to straighten out on her own! That was in 1988, my junior year in Cola!!

It’s not too bad if your mast is sealed but if they fill with water you are there until help arrives. Been there done it both ways.
The mast was sealed and my buddy Richard rolled the sail up/in and we got her back up in about 20 minutes and then kept getting it!

danny_dristorMember
New

My brother and I decided to sail around Fort Sumter one summer. That water gets rough out there! I was glad to get back in the harbor that day. Wish I still had my boat ...I would go sailing this weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT