ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Riley, I don't know if he would be a good OC for Beamer

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
He may be on his list. Garrett Riley only has one season of playcalling experience. SMU did not face a Power Five opponent this season due to the Covid19 virus, but his offense struggled in the team's two games against AP Top 25 opponents.

Experience doesn't matter. At U of SC we're doing everything the opposite. We've become George Costanza with our last two hires. Might as well follow the same logic with coordinators.

Excellent analogy. We hire Beamer on the faint hope that he can be Dabo because nobody else has ever offered him a coordinator or HC position.

Quite a few high school coaches in the state put up big numbers. And am sure at least a couple are nice guys, which seems to be the highest requirement.

Last edited:
Excellent analogy. We hire Beamer on the faint hope that he can be Dabo because nobody else has ever offered him a coordinator of HC position.

Quite a few high school coaches in the state put up big numbers. And am sure at least a couple are nice guys, which seems to be the highest requirement.
Yes, "wants to be here" which is basically saying he likes us. Same thing was said about Muschamp. Nevermind that they were both desperate so of course they like anyone who likes them. They like us, all that matters. lol

Let me get this straight: there were fans here who complained that we by-passed Lincoln Riley to hire Muschamp. Now, there's talk that Beamer might hire Garret Riley to be OC, who had the 12th most productive offense in the nation this year and number 2 in his conference. But, there are reservations about hiring Garret Riley? To paraphrase Don King: "Only in South Carolina".

Let me get this straight: there were fans here who complained that we by-passed Lincoln Riley to hire Muschamp. Now, there's talk that Beamer might hire Garret Riley to be OC, who had the 12th most productive offense in the nation this year and number 2 in his conference. But, there are reservations about hiring Garret Riley? To paraphrase Don King: "Only in South Carolina".
This is the same logic that says Shane Beamer will be Frank Beamer. lol

Reactions: cadcock and Brace1
I get that, And I was not for hiring Shane Beamer. While Garrett has only one year as OC to judge him by, that one year was a solid "Grade A" performance. Am I wrong?
No, I agree there. At least he has some experience.

But when you combine his relative lack of it with Beamer's complete lack of it it's not a good combination. If Beamer's a "CEO coach" then we need to hire an OC with a great resume. Riley's is lacking, ESPECIALLY compared to his brother.

Reactions: Brace1
Strikes me as funny that the same fans who are adamantly against the Beamer hire also think we should end our OC search with Bobo.

No, I agree there. At least he has some experience.

But when you combine his relative lack of it with Beamer's complete lack of it it's not a good combination. If Beamer's a "CEO coach" then we need to hire an OC with a great resume. Riley's is lacking, ESPECIALLY compared to his brother.
I understand your point, and it's not a bad argument you make.

Strikes me as funny that the same fans who are adamantly against the Beamer hire also think we should end our OC search with Bobo.
LOL! Bobo is a hell no from me. I didn't like Muschamp hiring him other than hoping that Muschamp might leave him alone.

Reactions: Brace1
I understand your point, and it's not a bad argument you make.
And I will say, selling his brother's name might work with some recruits.

But we're still going to have to coach them up. More with less should be our guide to hiring coaches if we can't get successful coaches from the highest level.

And I will say, selling his brother's name might work with some recruits.

But we're still going to have to coach them up. More with less should be our guide to hiring coaches if we can't get successful coaches from the highest level.
Yes, I agree. I was against hiring Muschamp from the start. And when he said in his introductory press conference here that "if you can't recruit, you can't coach here", I KNEW his time here would end badly. Don't get me wrong: you have to recruit well to win in the SEC. BUT, "coaching" is more important than "recruiting" in football. The opposite is true in basketball since one blue-chipper can carry a team in that sport.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
I understand the offense improved this year, but
LOL! Bobo is a hell no from me. I didn't like Muschamp hiring him other than hoping that Muschamp might leave him alone.

I especially don't get the ones who suggest that we should keep Bobo for a transition year. We just came out of a 3 OCs in 5 years debacle. The last thing I want to see Beamer doing is changing OCs after the first year. That's an asinine suggestion.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
I understand the offense improved this year, but

I especially don't get the ones who suggest that we should keep Bobo for a transition year. We just came out of a 3 OCs in 5 years debacle. The last thing I want to see Beamer doing is changing OCs after the first year. That's an asinine suggestion.
Improved? We're 99th in total offense this year. 95th last year. I get that Bobo isn't completely at fault but it's his offense I don't think it is a fit for us. We need superior talent on the oline and WRs to compete with it. QB gets destroyed otherwise.

And that is a great point about having to fire Bobo a year later. Would be crazy. Beamer needs to hire his guys from the beginning whether I or anyone likes the hires or not. He needs to sleep at night with his decisions and not give into pressure from the administration/BOT or boosters.

In 3 years whichever way things are trending no one is going to blame anyone else but Beamer so I hope he demands his own staff from the beginning.

Reactions: DeBoer31
That is correct....many were justifiably upset that we passed on Lincoln Riley, an experienced, battle-tested Coordinator that had (at that time a good 15 years in the offense he runs)......much like a Chadwell or Napier.
We are also suspect of his little brother who was coaching RBs at App State a year and half ago and now has basically a half a year of a weird season under his belt playing Stephen F Austin and Temple.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be a candidate...but you can see why many of us were upset we passed on that caliber of guy to run our offense and four years later are four years behind the curve, looking at someone with 1/3rd the resume and experience.

That is correct....many were justifiably upset that we passed on Lincoln Riley, an experienced, battle-tested Coordinator that had (at that time a good 15 years in the offense he runs)......much like a Chadwell or Napier.
We are also suspect of his little brother who was coaching RBs at App State a year and half ago and now has basically a half a year of a weird season under his belt playing Stephen F Austin and Temple.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be a candidate...but you can see why many of us were upset we passed on that caliber of guy to run our offense and four years later are four years behind the curve, looking at someone with 1/3rd the resume and experience.
Riley passed on us, not vice versa.

I don't know if he is right either, but the plain simple truth is this; we hired Beamer to do a job. We have to trust that the hire was the right one, and that he will do a good job from evaluating and recruiting and development to hiring assistants.

Some folks might want to, but I'm not going to spend the next 4 years second guessing everything he does including what kind of car he chooses to drive.

Last edited:
Riley passed on us, not vice versa.
I guess we never really know for sure on these things- I have heard it both ways. Ray passed on him for lack of experience, but I also heard OU let him know Stoops was moving on soon and they wanted him- I suspect that is the truth of it, and even if we had hired him, he would have left a year or two later to go back there.

He may be on his list. Garrett Riley only has one season of playcalling experience. SMU did not face a Power Five opponent this season due to the Covid19 virus, but his offense struggled in the team's two games against AP Top 25 opponents.

Sonny Dykes offense, Riley just held the clipboard. Think Roper and Cutcliffe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT