ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Riley, Kendal Briles or hire within?

All this talk about someone else calling plays is stupid....the plays we ran the last 2 games were not all new plays we ran them all year it is just we executed them!
Play calling is situational and based on what the defense is giving you. I don't recall anyone saying we had all new plays. The situational play calling has a lot to do with successful execution.

Reactions: Lurker123
maxresdefault.jpg

Or that statistics can prove anything. Definitely don’t want to be taking a guy that a fanbase that sees him every week wants gone. USC doesn’t need another program’s problem.
Briles problems at Arkansas have been his disagreements with the head coach Pittman over what to do after the star qb was injured. Arkansas just gave Briles a 20% raise to keep him there. The fan base was mad at him after the loss to Mississippi State, but that is not a good reason to hire or not hire him.

Offensive coordinator Kendal Briles a received raise to remain with the Razorbacks through 2024, according to copies of their contracts obtained by HawgBeat via an open records request.

P.S. I would be against hiring Briles, not because of what he has done at Arkansas, but because of the Baylor scandals.

In three years when we're hiring our next HC, we're going to look back and realize Beamer was the luckiest coach in the world the past two years.

Loggains was recruiting yesterday for Arkansas. I dont think its going to be him, or a deal is nowhere near close to being done.

The longer this drags out, I think the more uncomfortable all Gamecocks are going to get.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Vurt da Furk! This can’t be true. I’ve seen this play out a thousand times. Please tell me this is April fools.

I posted a week ago Beamer would F this up. Said that after listening to him ramble on about what he's looking for in an OC. Hope he can prove me wrong.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I posted a week ago Beamer would F this up. Said that after listening to him ramble on about what he's looking for in an OC. Hope he can prove me wrong.

Luckily social media saved us on this one. Not a good look for the future when the fans have to stop bad coaching hires.

Luckily social media saved us on this one. Not a good look for the future when the fans have to stop bad coaching hires.

Did the hire fall through? Granted it was never more than rumor, but are we sure it's dead?

Play calling is situational and based on what the defense is giving you. I don't recall anyone saying we had all new plays. The situational play calling has a lot to do with successful execution.
Absolutely... as does playing to a team's weakness. Both situational play calling and playing to a weakness seemed like a new concepts in the last two games. They worked so well they looked absent all season. Maybe they were idk.

I was asking, because all I've honestly seen is message board talk.

Sounds like Beamer is doing the same thing he does with the injury reports so no one has a grasp of what’s happening.

Just feels like Beamer can’t get anyone good willing to take the job.

Sounds like Beamer is doing the same thing he does with the injury reports so no one has a grasp of what’s happening.

Just feels like Beamer can’t get anyone good willing to take the job.

One other site had an article today that it's a real possibility now. Final stages, etc.

This move doesn't evoke confidence. Are we just that incredibly cheap?

One other site had an article today that it's a real possibility now. Final stages, etc.

This move doesn't evoke confidence. Are we just that incredibly cheap?

Money isn’t an issue.

It feels like Beamer wants to show everyone he’s smarter than them. We shall see if he is or not.

I am not knowledgeable about these things so, please accept the sincerity of my question. I am not criticizing your hopes at all.

BUT, you can wish all you want for a Vince Lombardi or a Don Shula but, what gives you any hope, whatsoever, that either Riley or Briles would even entertain the notion of discussing coming here as an OC, let alone actually making the move? Again, not criticizing but, would you, personally, ever even consider leaving a successful program to make a lateral move to work for Shane Beamer?

And I realize that you didn't bring it up but, for the Mike Shanahan hopefuls, ... OMG!!! he's almost as old as I am.

Please do not respond with any "Head Coach-in-Waiting" bait. Both Muschump & TexAss became laughing stocks after that faux pas.
Beamer said he had successful OCs from other D5 colleges calling him about the job. He indicated that he could have hired a "big name." Have heard other commentators say the same thing; that no one turned us down. Also, that money was not an issue.

Correct and the players have to execute them! satt cant execute it for them!
Makes me wonder how much voluntary extra film and rep time that pro and college players (good ones anyway) do is now being put aside by college players so they can go chase “the bag” and beg businesses for NIL $$ instead. Extra film study? Or go to Forest Acres and offer your talents to the businesses in exchange for $$.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT