ADVERTISEMENT

GG Jackson to NBA?

ToddFlanders

Mar 30, 2007
I've looked at four mock drafts. Two have him as the 14th pick, one at 15 and one at 21. All see him as a project that will get drafted on potential.

Is there any reason to stay at this point? If he's a consensus 1st round pick, then the first two years of his first contract are guaranteed. Using last year's numbers for the mock draft projections that would be either $8M, $7.6M or $5.7M. That's some real cash.

Of course he could try and play his way higher (even 10th get's you $2M more than the 14th selection), but then he runs the risk of being exposed if his "potential" doesn't start to show itself.

I dont follow the draft and such, is this year's projected players considered weaker than most year's? Is next year's considered stronger? Reason I ask is seems like the teams who tend to live and die on one and dones havent had all that good of year.

Announcers last night were sold on him. I'm not. He showed more emotion last night than I have seen all season. I haven't watched a lot of Carolina basketball this year, but he seemed to have emotion or care at the last moment. I say see ya!! Didn't do much for us anyway.

Reactions: uscwatson21
He’ll be a D-League player, may get bench action in the NBA, but he’ll jump around from team to team. He’s way too young to have any early meaningful time.

Definitely. He needs some seasoning and won’t be an impact player for a couple of years. Another year in college would definitely benefit him. I just wonder if the guaranteed millions pretty much seals the deal.

Reactions: ElectricalCock89
This is one time that the potential is greater for him if he were to stay.
Why not enjoy one more year of college life? If the coaches hit the transfer portal with the intensity level that I think they will.
Next year GG could triple his $$$$$
Then from the family prospective. GG is close to home and I am sure he will be making a couple of million in college,

It’s a very tough decision for him. Let’s say he comes back to USC and plays similar to this year. Now, he’s stuck and may as well stay all 4 years like Sindarius. I would at least go through the process, do the combine, and see if I could get a promise from someone. At his age, a lot of teams think they can mold his potential into something useful.

Announcers last night were sold on him. I'm not. He showed more emotion last night than I have seen all season. I haven't watched a lot of Carolina basketball this year, but he seemed to have emotion or care at the last moment. I say see ya!! Didn't do much for us anyway.
The announcers have been talking him up all year. I don't think ANYONE could live up to the hype they've been giving him. There were times this year that he looked like he had an attitude problem and maybe he didn't get along with coach Paris but I think last night showed how much he cares about his teammates. I'd love to have him back next year but it's up to him to choose between NBA money or another year of college with this team. Looks like most of our guys are coming back. Maybe he'll stay and we can lure in another 5* to play alongside him.

As for not doing much, I think he did plenty for us this season... doubt we'd have won as much without him but I did think it was funny yesterday with our lineup at times. Imagine someone tuning in and seeing GG on the bench and Eli Sparkman in the game. :>) That being said, I'm glad Sparkman is a Freshman because I've been really impressed with him the past few games. He used to get garbage minutes and seems like a crowd favorite but his reactions are much quicker now and he can drain the 3. The more he plays, the better I feel about having him in there. I think he'll be fun to watch the next 3 years.

GO COCKS!!!

Only reason I could see coming back would be because this year was really his Senior year in high school and being even further away from home in the pro world is tough for someone that young.

But, he put in his year and I think he learned some valuable lessons - and knows what he needs to work on.

He took the coaching and was treated like anyone else - probably for the first time in awhile.

Have to give him credit for coming to South Carolina and staying home.

I'd take the money and run. He can fly his parents out to see him all the time.

This is one time that the potential is greater for him if he were to stay.
Why not enjoy one more year of college life? If the coaches hit the transfer portal with the intensity level that I think they will.
Next year GG could triple his $$$$$
Then from the family prospective. GG is close to home and I am sure he will be making a couple of million in college,

If he could make $2M, or even $1.5M by staying in college he should definitely do that. I don't think that's the market though. Wong at Miami was really sought after - and opened recruitment to all comers last season. He ended up staying at Miami for $400k. Jackson would get more, but it's hard to imagine 4x that number.

And he could play himself into better money. Betting on being one of the top 3 picks is kind of a pipe dream, but let's say he ended up 5th pick instead of 14th. Using last year's numbers the 5th pick got 4yrs/$33M ($14.8 Guaranteed) and the 14th pick got 4yrs/$18.7M ($8M guaranteed). So there is significant upside to getting picked higher, but also a lot of opportunity costs. Specifically, losing out on money for a year to stay in college (whatever the difference is between NIL and rookie contract), and you also delay the opportunity for the big paycheck in Year 5 in the league.

I don’t say see ya….but you are right about the other night. First game I’ve seen where he played defense and hustled and even got rebounds in a team concept. You could tell it finally hit him. I wish he could’ve had that attitude all year, but let’s face it doing what he’s doing at 17 we all probably needed some seasoning.

To me his question is different than someone contemplating the WNBA. The highest salary in the WNBA is around $250,000. If you can make seven or 8 million then I’ll be honest he needs to go knowing that he’s not going to dominate anybody until he has a few years of weight training and maturity. But it’s hard to turn down that kind of money if you go in the first round. Otherwise come back to school get stronger work on playing in the SEC, and then you’re likely a top 10 pick. Either way it’s life changing money.

The question is, at 18, do you want to be on the road away from people that care about you playing in the D league? The money will come…..it’s just there is no guarantee he will be drafted in round 1 this year regardless of projections. And as we all know, there is no turning back once you commit to the draft.

If he could make $2M, or even $1.5M by staying in college he should definitely do that. I don't think that's the market though. Wong at Miami was really sought after - and opened recruitment to all comers last season. He ended up staying at Miami for $400k. Jackson would get more, but it's hard to imagine 4x that number.

And he could play himself into better money. Betting on being one of the top 3 picks is kind of a pipe dream, but let's say he ended up 5th pick instead of 14th. Using last year's numbers the 5th pick got 4yrs/$33M ($14.8 Guaranteed) and the 14th pick got 4yrs/$18.7M ($8M guaranteed). So there is significant upside to getting picked higher, but also a lot of opportunity costs. Specifically, losing out on money for a year to stay in college (whatever the difference is between NIL and rookie contract), and you also delay the opportunity for the big paycheck in Year 5 in the league.

he could also risk an injury that would move him from a draft pick to not being drafted at all.

He gone

I don’t say see ya….but you are right about the other night. First game I’ve seen where he played defense and hustled and even got rebounds in a team concept. You could tell it finally hit him. I wish he could’ve had that attitude all year, but let’s face it doing what he’s doing at 17 we all probably needed some seasoning.

To me his question is different than someone contemplating the WNBA. The highest salary in the WNBA is around $250,000. If you can make seven or 8 million then I’ll be honest he needs to go knowing that he’s not going to dominate anybody until he has a few years of weight training and maturity. But it’s hard to turn down that kind of money if you go in the first round. Otherwise come back to school get stronger work on playing in the SEC, and then you’re likely a top 10 pick. Either way it’s life changing money.

The question is, at 18, do you want to be on the road away from people that care about you playing in the D league? The money will come…..it’s just there is no guarantee he will be drafted in round 1 this year regardless of projections. And as we all know, there is no turning back once you commit to the draft.
If you have good representation, you have a pretty good idea of the range you are going to go once you go through the combine and team workouts. Several players are promised to be picked at a certain spot if they remain in the draft. Further, he can come back if he is not getting positive feedback about his draft status amongst the teams. So, it doesn’t hurt at all for him to put his name in and see how it goes.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
If you have good representation, you have a pretty good idea of the range you are going to go once you go through the combine and team workouts. Several players are promised to be picked at a certain spot if they remain in the draft. Further, he can come back if he is not getting positive feedback about his draft status amongst the teams. So, it doesn’t hurt at all for him to put his name in and see how it goes.
How'd it go for PJ Dozier?

How'd it go for PJ Dozier?
Different situation. PJ had a medical condition that depressed his draft stock and PJ is back in the NBA now with the Kings. PJ is not the best example of a cautionary tale of putting your name in the draft.

Further, he can come back if he is not getting positive feedback about his draft status amongst the teams. So, it doesn’t hurt at all for him to put his name in and see how it goes.
I do not mean to be insensitive about this and I do want Jackson to come back, but I hope Jackson and the others can make up their mind right now If they want to stay or not. South Carolina needs to know now how many scholarships are available to offer so they can proceed scouting the transfer portal immediately. I think currently, they only have one scholarship to offer so there will be at least one new face along with the two incoming freshmen next season.

Different situation. PJ had a medical condition that depressed his draft stock and PJ is back in the NBA now with the Kings. PJ is not the best example of a cautionary tale of putting your name in the draft.
Fair enough. I just remember everyone here saying he shouldn't go but he left anyway and went undrafted. Maybe he should have stayed another year.

When you have had a Six Year NBA career anyway it really doesn’t matter where you were drafted. You can play woulda, coulda with any situation. He could have played all four years like Sin and be out of the league within two years. The NBA draft is completely opposite to the thinking of many people. You rarely increase your draft by staying additional years. The NBA usually makes up its mind about you after your Sophomore year. It’s hard to increase your draft stock after that time. By that time, they are looking at the Freshman two years behind you. For example, Sin dominated his Senior year and was the SEC Player of the Year. That effort got him drafted 58th out of 60 draft selections a couple months later. The NBA had already pegged him as a tweener that was not quite quick enough to play the 2 and not quite big enough to play the 3.

I think GG is kind of limited with his options and has to go pro based on the NBA changing their rules soon. Isn't that the biggest reason he decided to reclassify and come in a year early.
We all need to remember he should have been playing his senior yr of high school this past season instead of being with us. He made All SEC freshmen team, I'd say that's a pretty good season.

It seems that his choices are limited due to all that happened this season. He could choose to stay but it would not be for money reasons. He did help this year. It did not result in more wins but
it helped in the direction of the program. Another year in college would be good for his developement as a person as well as body maturity. Looks like he will be leaving.

He’s likely gone. NIL helps make it a possibility to come back. If the NIL money is significantly greater than the money GG would get once his evaluation comes back, then he will likely come back. Less wear and tear on the body and still the ability to collect that pro money at a later date.

However I think it’s best at this point he go and get acclimated to the pro game. We’re no where close to a contender and won’t be next year either.

He’s likely gone. NIL helps make it a possibility to come back. If the NIL money is significantly greater than the money GG would get once his evaluation comes back, then he will likely come back. Less wear and tear on the body and still the ability to collect that pro money at a later date.

However I think it’s best at this point he go and get acclimated to the pro game. We’re no where close to a contender and won’t be next year either.
I have a hard time believing his commercial demand at his time would yield an NIL package of that caliber. The entire aura around our program at this time is miasmic.

I have a hard time believing his commercial demand at his time would yield an NIL package of that caliber. The entire aura around our program at this time is miasmic.
On the surface that’s true. However we were able to offer Rattler one of the best in the country coming off a Dukes Mayo win and a 6-6 regular season. We weren’t exactly lighting the World on fire when that deal was done so the potential for one with GG exists, even if the team isn’t good. Just a matter of if we want to get it lined up or not.

On the surface that’s true. However we were able to offer Rattler one of the best in the country coming off a Dukes Mayo win and a 6-6 regular season. We weren’t exactly lighting the World on fire when that deal was done so the potential for one with GG exists, even if the team isn’t good. Just a matter of if we want to get it lined up or not.
It ain't the same thing, not by a long stretch. We are in the Bottom 10 of major conference basketball programs at this time. I'm saying that arbitrarily but we all know it's true. People ain't going to be lined up to bankroll this mess.

It ain't the same thing, not by a long stretch. We are in the Bottom 10 of major conference basketball programs at this time. I'm saying that arbitrarily but we all know it's true. People ain't going to be lined up to bankroll this mess.
I don’t disagree about the state of our program. However basketball is still an individual sport marketed by stars. GG has talent and could be in the NBA soon enough. He’s put up numbers similar to Anthony Edwards at UGA. Edwards became a 1 pick and is tearing it up in the NBA.

I don’t disagree about the state of our program. However basketball is still an individual sport marketed by stars. GG has talent and could be in the NBA soon enough. He’s put up numbers similar to Anthony Edwards at UGA. Edwards became a 1 pick and is tearing it up in the NBA.
I don't see anyone buying him for another year. The energy level surrounding the program doesn't suggest otherwise. But I'm not pretending to know what's behind Door #3.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I didn’t see anything in Jackson that said 5⭐. Has attitud problems and was always shooting only threes.
this kid needs two more years to prove he has elite potential.

Reactions: uscwatson21

He is going to be a lottery pic (top 10) in the NBA draft. The hire you on potential and he would be better served to go get the money which would not change drastically if he came back. He will develop quicker and acclimate to the pro game by practicing daily with the pros. He will be a solid pro before it's all over and I think he will do considerably better than PJ or Sin. Time will tell, the kid from Christ Church is with Portland Trailblazers, 20 y/o and 7'1 after one year at Florida State. He will be fine. I wish him well!!

He is going to be a lottery pic (top 10) in the NBA draft. The hire you on potential and he would be better served to go get the money which would not change drastically if he came back. He will develop quicker and acclimate to the pro game by practicing daily with the pros. He will be a solid pro before it's all over and I think he will do considerably better than PJ or Sin. Time will tell, the kid from Christ Church is with Portland Trailblazers, 20 y/o and 7'1 after one year at Florida State. He will be fine. I wish him well!!

He's not going to be a top 10 pick. More likely in the 20s than top 10. Maybe high teens low 20s based on potential.

Even at the No.20 pick, GG would be guaranteed 5.4 million over 2 years with the probability of being optioned another 2 years if he shows any type of promise. GG would get that money if they optioned him down to the G League for the next two years. The NBA Draft has become very similar to the MLB Draft. Being optioned down to the minors at 19 and 20 years of age is not considered a failure for that prospect. If you need time to become an NBA prospect, I would rather do it with a couple mil in my bank account. Further, he gets to his second contract quicker if he develops. With this set of facts, the top prospects are not using college to learn how to play anymore. They use college for brief exposure to show how they compare athletically to a high level of competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddFlanders
Easy decision at this point. If I were him though, I'd leave the possibility of returning open (but not to USC). If he's a first rounder on everyone's boards - definitely take the money and run. If he could slip, maybe come back - but to a contender.

Easy decision at this point. If I were him though, I'd leave the possibility of returning open (but not to USC). If he's a first rounder on everyone's boards - definitely take the money and run. If he could slip, maybe come back - but to a contender.
WTF not come back to us???...

WTF not come back to us???...

The team will be building, but should still be on the path of a losing season next year (or hopefully .500 or a little better). But building for sure.

Unless they can put some real players around him (instead of guys that will develop down the road), why come back and have a repeat of this season? Go play for a team where he can make a difference.

I think it's all moot anyway. I have a feeling he will perform well enough in the combine that teams will be scared to miss out on his potential (with the size and skill he already has).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT