ADVERTISEMENT

GG Jackson visit today

This young man is not coming to South Carolina folks. I think we all know that.

I know, I know. But he's not. We've been down this road a lot of times.
I hope you don't mind if we continue to discuss it anyway.

You can pat yourself on the back if your statement happens. Have a good one.

I hope you don't mind if we continue to discuss it anyway.

You can pat yourself on the back if your statement happens. Have a good one.

I don't recall ordering anyone to avoid talking about it - at least not yet.

It's not a matter of patting myself on the back. Anyone is always free to waste time talking about anything - me included.

I hope not. If he goes to the G league that could start a trend where the best players don’t even play college basketball anymore. I’ll admit the reasons are selfish but I’m 100 times more likely to watch a college game than a G league game.
That has already started. Keenan had a Top 25 guy in the 22 Class go to Overtime Elite, another pro to NBA team, that plays the prep schools like IMG. I don’t know how that fits within NCAA rules. Seems like that would make the guys that want to go on to college from the prep schools ineligible, Also, G-League Ignite has been getting 3-4 of the Top guys from a High School class for the last couple years. Jalen Green (Rockets) and Jonathan Kuminga (Warriors) both went the G-League Ignite route before getting drafted the next year. There were a couple of other guys, but they either got drafted in the Second Round or went undrafted.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Let those that are not interested in an education go to the G league. That’s what it is for. I would rather watch players that go to class and stick around for a few years. I can’t stand this OAD environment that has been created.

I hope not. If he goes to the G league that could start a trend where the best players don’t even play college basketball anymore. I’ll admit the reasons are selfish but I’m 100 times more likely to watch a college game than a G league game.
I don't even know what G League is. That's how much I pay attention to MBB these days. The NBA sucks and we are so irrelevant it's not even funny.

I don't even know what G League is. That's how much I pay attention to MBB these days. The NBA sucks and we are so irrelevant it's not even funny.
This statement is part of the reason we are irrelevant. The fastest rising star in the NBA (Ja Morant) is a SC native and the players we want eventually want to get to the NBA. Seriously, I think some of you guys just don’t like basketball because you have no idea where the game is headed. G-League Ignite is a viable option for Jackson given his status as a top prospect in his class. Still hoping he chooses us, but anyone surprised by this truly doesn’t understand today’s game.

Let those that are not interested in an education go to the G league. That’s what it is for. I would rather watch players that go to class and stick around for a few years. I can’t stand this OAD environment that has been created.
So, AJ Wilson upsets you? He’s a OAD in reverse as a Grad Transfer.

This statement is part of the reason we are irrelevant. The fastest rising star in the NBA (Ja Morant) is a SC native and the players we want eventually want to get to the NBA. Seriously, I think some of you guys just don’t like basketball because you have no idea where the game is headed. G-League Ignite is a viable option for Jackson given his status as a top prospect in his class. Still hoping he chooses us, but anyone surprised by this truly doesn’t understand today’s game.
So, it’s my fault that we suck and can’t recruit?

Reactions: cockofdawn
So, it’s my fault that we suck and can’t recruit?
Kind of. ....Because you represent a part of what our basketball atmosphere is like. If a kid is being recruited, does he want to go somewhere that doesn’t have the feeling of relevancy and think his ultimate personal goals suck? No, he will go to a Duke or Kentucky where he will be celebrated and his professional achievements will be celebrated for the next generation to see. Yes, the attitudes of the fanbase matters.

Kind of. ....Because you represent a part of what our basketball atmosphere is like. If a kid is being recruited, does he want to go somewhere that doesn’t have the feeling of relevancy and think his ultimate personal goals suck? No, he will go to a Duke or Kentucky where he will be celebrated and his professional achievements will be celebrated for the next generation to see. Yes, the attitudes of the fanbase matters.
I’m 59 years old. A diehard since 1968. Roche and McGuire were my heroes. I’m not a Johnny come lately fan. I’ve stuck with us through thick and thin but I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen the top 3 men’s teams in the situation we are now. Football has promise but I don’t see it with Basketball and Baseball right now. Frank couldn’t recruit off of the Final Four, you think he can now?

You want to blame the fans instead of the guy making about $3.5 Million a year.

I’m 59 years old. A diehard since 1968. Roche and McGuire were my heroes. I’m not a Johnny come lately fan. I’ve stuck with us through thick and thin but I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen the top 3 men’s teams in the situation we are now. Football has promise but I don’t see it with Basketball and Baseball right now. Frank couldn’t recruit off of the Final Four, you think he can now?

You want to blame the fans instead of the guy making about $3.5 Million a year.
No, Martin is at fault too, but fans play a part. You can’t build a program with the following attitude: We really want you, but only if you do what I want and stay in school at least 3 years. Otherwise, damn you and you really are not that good anyway. That’s the attitude that permeates too much of our fanbase and that attitude gets out and is noted by potential prospects. So, if we fire Martin tomorrow, we will probably be in a similar place 5 years later.

No, Martin is at fault too, but fans play a part. You can’t build a program with the following attitude: We really want you, but only if you do what I want and stay in school at least 3 years. Otherwise, damn you and you really are not that good anyway. That’s the attitude that permeates too much of our fanbase and that attitude gets out and is noted by potential prospects. So, if we fire Martin tomorrow, we will probably be in a similar place 5 years later.
Only if the hire is like our current HC. Most would care less if they stay 1 or 2 years IF the program begins to win consistently and play in the NCAA March Madness. NIT is not enough. I don't care for the 1 and done, but if we win, great! Need a coach to develop the players, Martin is not the man. Who is, I don't know. But I'm not being paid to know this, someone else is.

You can’t build a program with the following attitude: We really want you, but only if you do what I want and stay in school at least 3 years. Otherwise, damn you and you really are not that good anyway.
What!!??? Not so. Many have built a program with kids that wish to stay many years. In fact, most have.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Only if the hire is like our current HC. Most would care less if they stay 1 or 2 years IF the program begins to win consistently and play in the NCAA March Madness. NIT is not enough. I don't care for the 1 and done, but if we win, great! Need a coach to develop the players, Martin is not the man. Who is, I don't know. But I'm not being paid to know this, someone else is.
That’s not true. We’ve hired several coaches before Martin and it’s basically the same. Odom, 1 NCAA appearance, no wins. Horn, no NCAA appearances. Fogler, 2 NCAA appearances and the most embarrassing loss in school history. Fig Newton, nothing. So, is it just the coach?

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
That’s not true. We’ve hired several coaches before Martin and it’s basically the same. Odom, 1 NCAA appearance, no wins. Horn, no NCAA appearances. Fogler, 2 NCAA appearances and the most embarrassing loss in school history. Fig Newton, nothing. So, is it just the coach?
It starts with the coach and how well players are developed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT