ADVERTISEMENT

Giving some thought to going to the Tenn game this year

AtlasShrugged

Aug 23, 2004
What are your thoughts on things to do there? Does USC do much before the day of the game?

Game day the Knoxville Gamecock Club usually reserves the 2nd floor of Calhouns on the River for a BBQ buffet.

But they haven't the last time we played in Knoxville or at least the last two times we play the Vols in Neyland. I have attended a number of games in Knoxville and I always went to Calhoun's on the River before the game. Man, it was great BBQ and it was fun meeting great Gamecock fans.

But, I heard a couple of years ago that the Knoxville Gamecock Club had disbanded. I hope that is not true.

If you're bringing family, getting in a little time in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg gives you plenty of family friendly options.

If it's just the guys I would probably second Calhouns.

Game is two weeks earlier than normal this year. Most of the time the weather has been good. There were 1 or 2 visits when it was colder than a hookers heart up there.

Another question about the USC vs UT game. For years the game was always played during the Halloween weekend (the closest Saturday to Halloween) that is the way I could always know when the game was played and hence I could make plans to attend. I remember one year in Knoxville, the game may have actually been played on Halloween, it was the year the crazy guy (sorry can't think of his name off the top of my head) that was only there one season before he took off for Southern Cow coached UT. Anyway, UT came out in black jerseys to go with their orange pants. Man, it rained for that game and we left early. Plus, part of I-40 was blocked and we had to go through Johnson City.

Also, noteworthy of that game was one of our best defensive backs was injured in warm- ups and didn't tell the coaches. He missed on a couple of plays big time that resulted in TDs for the Vols and went along way towards sealing our fate for the game.

Last edited:
If you're bringing family, getting in a little time in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg gives you plenty of family friendly options.

If it's just the guys I would probably second Calhouns.

Game is two weeks earlier than normal this year. Most of the time the weather has been good. There were 1 or 2 visits when it was colder than a hookers heart up there.

I was there for the first Gamecock win ever at Neyland . And for that game it was colder as you say "than a hooker's heart". I remember going to the concession stand right before the end of the game and getting the last cup of coffee out of that coffee maker. The attendant had to turn the coffee maker upside down to get that last cup of coffee. It was so cold I would have paid a $100 for that coffee. LOL! Then I ran back to our seats to see the end of the game. My best friend made his way towards the exit before the end of the game. In order to win the game the Gamecocks had to grind out a first down and when they did I was so ecstatic man, I was jumping up and down along with many other Gamecock fans.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on things to do there? Does USC do much before the day of the game?
Game time and your arrival day/time could open up some options. As stated by another Poster, the Calhoun's thing didn't happen the last game in Knoxville. Many USC fans stay in cabins near Sevierville & drive in for the game. If time permits, you can go to the Ijams Nature Center to walk down by the river, paddle board in the quarry (if not too cold), etc. "The Strip" is on Cumberland Ave & will be filled with folks bar hopping. Market Square and Gay Street to the East of the stadium have some really cool restaurants, craft/high-gravity bars, etc. Is it possible to walk to both areas from the stadium? Yes, I've done it sober and not. That said, it's a nice haul over to the Square in some hilly terrain.
The leaves should be awesome, but be prepared for Myrtle Beach traffic in Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg especially after 10 am.
As far as parking, I can't recommend anything. We are hosted by UT Alumni & have never had to find our own parking.

Friday night steaks at Ye Olde Steak House. On the Pigeon Forge side of Knoxville but several miles out of Knoxville. Worth a drive over the night before if you're staying in the Pigeon Forge - Sevierville area. Steak doesn't get any better.

I was there for the first Gamecock win ever at Neyland . And for that game it was colder as you say "than a hookers heart"

The 1st game that came to mind was 2001, when Haynesworth and Stephenson waved that flag around after the game. It always seems 10 degrees colder when you lose. Bought some hot chocolate at that game. Turned to chocolate milk before I took a sip. It was selling good because trying to maximize profit they put about 1/10 of a packet in there. I stayed in my car most of the pre game it was so cold.

I was at the win too @Freddie.B.Cocky. But when that FG went through it felt sunny and 75. Can't tell you how many times we blew it in Neyland before finally winning one. Lots of close games, most of which went UTs way at the end

I going to try and make that game this year. I only missed one game at UT since that game Holtz was coaching and it went into OT. I think that was the first OT game we had ever played and we lost. I could be wrong about it being the first OT game we ever played but I don't think I am wrong. I do painfully remember the loss.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, I have been before and will probably do it again.

[QUOTE=" Can't tell you how many times we blew it in Neyland before finally winning one. Lots of close games, most of which went UTs way at the end[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for that. I personally saw many of those heartbreaking loses at Neyland. One of the losses that still haunts me to this day. Is late in the game we were leading and UT had the ball and then fumbled. One of our DBs was right there at the ball and tried to recover the fumble. How he missed that fumble is beyond me to this day. Anyway, UT recovered the fumble and eventually kicked a FG to win the game. Man, that was our game and it was stolen from us. Dang, hate it to this day.

I am going to tell you what, I don't think I ever remember any coach getting so many calls to go their way near the end of the game than Fat Phil. Gosh, it's unbelievable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT