ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Driver Fitting

Jbouton2

Jun 27, 2020
Has anyone had this done only to check driver shaft change possibilities? I'm thinking this versus looking for complete new driver. I have a Taylormade M2, stock shaft. I know there are newer clubs, but looking for other opinions. TIA

If you are going to pay for a fitting I would let them advise you. I had planned to go to Doc Griffin here in Columbia for a fitting a year and a half ago but had to reschedule it because of illness. Then Covid hit. He has since moved to some downtown golf club and his prices went up. If I were to go for a fitting now I would likely go to Koosa Golf. There's a guy there - older guy whose name I've forgotten - that really knows his stuff.

I use a 440 cc Callaway driver. It's 10 years old but I don't like the way the larger heads look - even though it is just 20 cc larger. My 9.5 Xtreme with the trinity shaft just suits my game right now. If I were to change I'd probably buy a Mavrik. The head doesn't look strange at address.

Reactions: agantt
Has anyone had this done only to check driver shaft change possibilities? I'm thinking this versus looking for complete new driver. I have a Taylormade M2, stock shaft. I know there are newer clubs, but looking for other opinions. TIA
There must be some reason you feel you need to do this. I say go with an independent person if you can find one. If you go to the big retail places, their intention will be to sell you as much as they can.

Not necessarily, I work part time at Dicks. We will fit you. $15. You are free to buy wherever.
In the abstract, that's always true. I think it depends on the particular people, their pay structure, etc. I suppose I am an exceedingly sales-resistant person. But I have felt pressure in the process, I'll just say that and no more. I'm not singling out Dick's, either. I use an independent clubmaker in Largo, Fl.

Reactions: cockofdawn
i couldnt hit the driver i have now until i switched to a stiff shaft.. the shaft has a lot to do with how you hit it. it is definitely worth trying

i couldnt hit the driver i have now until i switched to a stiff shaft.. the shaft has a lot to do with how you hit it. it is definitely worth trying
That's the advantage of a fitting. You can try different combinations of head and shaft to find the one that feels the best and which has the best metrics. (launch angle, club head speed, etc.)

Reactions: 01fatboy
Thanks to all replies. I was thinking along with these replies. I have options on fitting within Summerville, Mt P, Charleston. Used David Ayers in past. May check out the Golf House in Summerville.

I had a friend who got fitted (for irons). They sold him on a set of $1200 Mizunos with with “upgraded” graphite shafts. He hated the shafts and ended up going back to his old Lynx irons from the 90s. He was very bitter about his fitting.

He is the only person I have ever played with that shot under par for the round (with his old Lynx clubs lol), so he knows what he’s doing.

Thanks to all replies. I was thinking along with these replies. I have options on fitting within Summerville, Mt P, Charleston. Used David Ayers in past. May check out the Golf House in Summerville.
I highly recommend Bob at the GolfHouse. Really good dude, and great at what he does.

I might get fitted someday if I could consistently shoot in the 70s, but at 5’11” and 190lbs, I figure your standard R-flex clubs from off the rack will do me just fine. I’d probably pay to get fitted and they’d be like, “You need standard length, R-flex clubs” anyway.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
I might get fitted someday if I could consistently shoot in the 70s, but at 5’11” and 190lbs, I figure your standard R-flex clubs from off the rack will do me just fine. I’d probably pay to get fitted and they’d be like, “You need standard length, R-flex clubs” anyway.
This is where I am. Neither the driver nor any of the irons I play impacts my scorecard to even a marginal degree.

Now the putter......Mr. Cameron decides whether I go home happy or sad.

Reactions: bcaldw01
There must be some reason you feel you need to do this. I say go with an independent person if you can find one. If you go to the big retail places, their intention will be to sell you as much as they can.
Correct. I did remove shaft length from 45 1/4 to about 44. Realizing what it would do to shaft flex etc. I figure I would let an expert look at this. My iron fitting was a great experience. Believe I am going to the golf house in Summerville. Heard good things, not pushy on sales etc.

Reactions: king ward
Correct. I did remove shaft length from 45 1/4 to about 44. Realizing what it would do to shaft flex etc. I figure I would let an expert look at this. My iron fitting was a great experience. Believe I am going to the golf house in Summerville. Heard good things, not pushy on sales etc.
I myself need to look at the lengths of some of my clubs, particularly my longer hybrids.

Not necessarily, I work part time at Dicks. We will fit you. $15. You are free to buy wherever.
Can you get/give a discount for fellow gamecocks?Ive been wanting to go to the irmo store and see if they could see if my driver was ok for my swing.

Yeah, I'm afraid if I tried to get fitted for anything, the guy will tell me to come back when I can consistently hit the ball more often than missing it. 😄

Reactions: bcaldw01
Most of your swings come with the putter 😉

re-gripping & cleaning your existing clubs helps minimize the stress of adapting to “ NEW” clubs. We have a three different invite tournaments each year and they guys who show up with née $400 & $ 500 drivers..... never win, and seldom contend.

to each their own

Reactions: OldWiseCock
No necessarily. I went for a driver fitting at Golf Galaxy in Greenville (did an iron fitting last year at the same place). After hitting my current driver, multiple new driver and shaft setups, I was told that my swing speed said I should be R-flex. However my swing, particularly my downswing made a stiff flex the right shaft. He also said I could spend $500 and gain maybe 6 yards but he recommended staying in my current driver and revisiting it in two years.

I did switch from my Rogue with a stiff shaft back to my Cobra F7 with a custom stiff shaft set to 10.5 draw and weighted for low ball flight. I am very happy! My Mavrik irons are a tad short and 2 degrees flat. Very happy with them as well.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I had a friend who got fitted (for irons). They sold him on a set of $1200 Mizunos with with “upgraded” graphite shafts. He hated the shafts and ended up going back to his old Lynx irons from the 90s. He was very bitter about his fitting.

He is the only person I have ever played with that shot under par for the round (with his old Lynx clubs lol), so he knows what he’s doing.
Sounds like he got "sold" alright.

A good fitting should improve your game. A salesman will make it worse.

This is where I am. Neither the driver nor any of the irons I play impacts my scorecard to even a marginal degree.

Now the putter......Mr. Cameron decides whether I go home happy or sad.
My putting stinks right now. I hit my other clubs pretty well for an old man. (67)

I've tried different grip methods, different putter grips and different putters but nothing seems to make a difference.

Today I worked on it for an hour and a half after work. I tried both my Odyssey Stroke Lab and my Ping Anser and could not get the ball close to the hole from 20 feet with either one. A guy who was putting near me walked by and chatted for a minute. He said my tempo was too quick. That was it. I slowed my swing speed down and tried to swing back and through smoothly just by rotating my shoulders and without accelerating or decelerating the putter head. Suddenly they started falling. I was making good contact and not clunking it.

Will see if that works tomorrow on the course.

My putting stinks right now. I hit my other clubs pretty well for an old man. (67)

I've tried different grip methods, different putter grips and different putters but nothing seems to make a difference.

Today I worked on it for an hour and a half after work. I tried both my Odyssey Stroke Lab and my Ping Anser and could not get the ball close to the hole from 20 feet with either one. A guy who was putting near me walked by and chatted for a minute. He said my tempo was too quick. That was it. I slowed my swing speed down and tried to swing back and through smoothly just by rotating my shoulders and without accelerating or decelerating the putter head. Suddenly they started falling. I was making good contact and not clunking it.

Will see if that works tomorrow on the course.
Try this.I got it saved on my favorites in case someone needs some help on their putting.this has saved so many strokes.And the best tip I’ve ever seen on putting.

Try this.I got it saved on my favorites in case someone needs some help on their putting.this has saved so many strokes.And the best tip I’ve ever seen on putting.
Thanks. I've seen this video but I've never practiced the calibration points. Distance control is my biggest issue but it is because I am not very good at reading greens. I can read obvious breaks, but I don't do a good job of accounting for the grain, inclines and subtle breaks. I think it is partly because my eyesight has gotten worse.

My putter has gotten better, just by keeping my whole lower body really still
I have also found this to be true. Lower body and head. Yesterday, I realized that I lean into my putts too much and it causes my swing tempo to increase on the downstroke and my strikes to be clunky. I think it is the same with chips from off the green. Keep your lower body (feet, knees, hips) really quiet.

Thanks. I've seen this video but I've never practiced the calibration points. Distance control is my biggest issue but it is because I am not very good at reading greens. I can read obvious breaks, but I don't do a good job of accounting for the grain, inclines and subtle breaks. I think it is partly because my eyesight has gotten worse.
My 3 calibration points are middle of my feet,just inside of my right foot and just outside my right foot.What I do is take 3 balls and find a flat spot on the green if possible.hit the 3 from the middle,see and remember how far they roll.do the same for the others.I’ve always went by “feeling” how hard to hit it,now I know how hard to hit it.for me ,the middle goes around 5-6 ft on a regular green.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT