ADVERTISEMENT

Good News...Steve Spurrier is still our coach

Clemson has been better than the competition at this point in the season. On the other hand, the in-conference competition has been dismal.

When yall were winning 11 games, at least we helped your strength of schedule. You're certainly not returning the favor. It's like a backhanded way of getting back at us.

I don't care what our in-conference competition is. I just want us to win football games. "They don't put pictures on the scorecard."

When yall were winning 11 games, at least we helped your strength of schedule. You're certainly not returning the favor. It's like a backhanded way of getting back at us.

I don't care what our in-conference competition is. I just want us to win football games. "They don't put pictures on the scorecard."

LIke I said earlier, it's not your fault some of the teams are down on your schedule. That doesnt change the fact that the schedule has turned out to be VERY weak. Going into the season it looked like a more difficult schedule than it looks now. Ga Tech is not as good as they were. FSU doesnt appear to be as strong as they have been. We are really bad. Your toughest road game is Louisville???

LIke I said earlier, it's not your fault some of the teams are down on your schedule. That doesnt change the fact that the schedule has turned out to be VERY weak. Going into the season it looked like a more difficult schedule than it looks now. Ga Tech is not as good as they were. FSU doesnt appear to be as strong as they have been. We are really bad. Your toughest road game is Louisville???

I completely agree. The ACC is the fast track to the CFB Playoff with one pre-requisite; not likely you could climb your way into the CFBP from being unranked in the pre-season. In the ACC, you will need to have national credibility/respectability before they ever kickoff the first game. Even though we've lost 5 out of the last 6 to South Carolina, Clemson has built national credibility through non-conference wins over the last 4 years.

In the SEC, if you ran the table, it wouldn't matter if you were pre-season ranked #1 or #110, you'd be in no matter what.

The truth is, nobody has really won a NC or made the playoff from starting the season unranked anyways (recently that is.... Clemson did it in 1981... those were much different times). And so........ likelihood of Clemson running the table on ACC is greater than the likelihood S. Carolina runs it in the SEC...... thus.... I'm glad to be in the ACC. The SEC money gap is a major problem for schools like Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, etc..... not Clemson.

E

Except the difference is much bigger than you are willing to admit

Given our recent football facility improvements and the fact we break ground in January on a 157,000 square foot /$63 million dollar football operations facility.............. It's safe to say any money gap that exists has not had any impact whatsoever. That's not even mentioning any on the field production.

Given our recent football facility improvements and the fact we break ground in January on a 157,000 square foot /$63 million dollar football operations facility.............. It's safe to say any money gap that exists has not had any impact whatsoever. That's not even mentioning any on the field production.
Except for the fact that everything we've built is bigger and better than Clemson's version of the same facility. Other than that, you're right.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
Of course you don't buy a solar-powered system and wake up the very next morning with $80,000 added to your bank acct. But, you will see major differences in a few years. USC has the ability to spend $20,000,000 per year than CU.

Except for the fact that everything we've built is bigger and better than Clemson's version of the same facility. Other than that, you're right.

Let me give you some perspective.... "The Doddie", which I know is a great facility, is 40,000 square feet at $13 million. The Rice Athletic center(great facility as well) is 68,000 square feet at $8.5 million.

Take those two great facilities, put them together, add another 40,000 square feet and $41 million dollars to the price tag. And oh, by the way....... This is one building dedicated to one sport (football)

So...... Back to you guys building everything bigger and better..............can't wait to see what Tanner decides to copy cat build....... Since Hyman has maxed out the credit card already and donors are sooooo excited about writing checks right now.

Let me give you some perspective.... "The Doddie", which I know is a great facility, is 40,000 square feet at $13 million. The Rice Athletic center(great facility as well) is 68,000 square feet at $8.5 million.

Take those two great facilities, put them together, add another 40,000 square feet and $41 million dollars to the price tag. And oh, by the way....... This is one building dedicated to one sport (football)

So...... Back to you guys building everything bigger and better..............can't wait to see what Tanner decides to copy cat build....... Since Hyman has maxed out the credit card already and donors are sooooo excited about writing checks right now.
Why the hell are you comparing a football operations facility to an academic enrichment center? Here's the true comparison:

Vickery Hall 27,000 sq ft
The Dodie 40,500 sq ft

Not sure why you call it copying when we do it bigger and better every time.

Glad to see you worried about our debt. But I shouldn't have to remind you that we don't operate on an ACC budget.

Why the hell are you comparing a football operations facility to an academic enrichment center? Here's the true comparison:

Vickery Hall 27,000 sq ft
The Dodie 40,500 sq ft

Not sure why you call it copying when we do it bigger and better every time.

Glad to see you worried about our debt. But I shouldn't have to remind you that we don't operate on an ACC budget.

Last time I checked we had 100 yards in the indoor facility plus the end zones. Ours is 80,000 sq/ft, yours is 110,000 sq/ft.... Lah Dee freakin dah. By the way, we're adding heat and AC this winter AS IF any recruit really cares. Remember when all those guys decomitted last year? They all said, " this is so hard for me because the indoor facility there is going to be 20,000 square feet bigger than most schools and I didn't want to give that up."..... C yeah, I don't remember it either.

We don't recruit on facilities alone, that's why we're kicking your tail in recruiting. I brought up the Dodie and Rice so you would have some perspective on how big the thing is and how much we are spending per square foot.

Texas has more revenue than any other school. They have won 1 national title in football the last 40 years.

You're hanging on to a lie if you think money and facilities will get you the success you want in football.

Last time I checked we had 100 yards in the indoor facility plus the end zones. Ours is 80,000 sq/ft, yours is 110,000 sq/ft.... Lah Dee freakin dah. By the way, we're adding heat and AC this winter AS IF any recruit really cares. Remember when all those guys decomitted last year? They all said, " this is so hard for me because the indoor facility there is going to be 20,000 square feet bigger than most schools and I didn't want to give that up."..... C yeah, I don't remember it either.

We don't recruit on facilities alone, that's why we're kicking your tail in recruiting. I brought up the Dodie and Rice so you would have some perspective on how big the thing is and how much we are spending per square foot.

Texas has more revenue than any other school. They have won 1 national title in football the last 40 years.

You're hanging on to a lie if you think money and facilities will get you the success you want in football.
Our issues with recruiting, and we've still done pretty well, have more to do with Spurrier's lack of attention to it. That will be addressed heavily with the new coach. Spurrier even admitted it was part of his decision today.

But facilities absolutely make a difference. No other reason to keep improving them.

Money and facilities get you the coaches and the players you need to win. That's really not even an argument unless you're just completely naive. Maybe you are, I don't know.

BTW, Texas has 2 NC's in the last 40 years. And 31 AP top 25 finishes. Oh, and 15 Southwest/Big 12 Championships. I'd say facilities are doing pretty well for them.

Our issues with recruiting, and we've still done pretty well, have more to do with Spurrier's lack of attention to it. That will be addressed heavily with the new coach. Spurrier even admitted it was part of his decision today.

But facilities absolutely make a difference. No other reason to keep improving them.

Money and facilities get you the coaches and the players you need to win. That's really not even an argument unless you're just completely naive. Maybe you are, I don't know.

BTW, Texas has 2 NC's in the last 40 years. And 31 AP top 25 finishes. Oh, and 15 Southwest/Big 12 Championships. I'd say facilities are doing pretty well for them.

Hire an up-and-comer. Let them hire about 20 new people in the football office, increase your recruiting budget and you will be fine.

By the way....... Please show us all where Texas won that second National Title in the last 40 years...... See link.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs

Hire an up-and-comer. Let them hire about 20 new people in the football office, increase your recruiting budget and you will be fine.

By the way....... Please show us all where Texas won that second National Title in the last 40 years...... See link.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs
I prefer a proven coach with a good balance of great recruiters and great on field coaches. But the attention will certainly be on recruiting with this hire so maybe it is an up and comer type.

I screwed up and went back 45 years. But the point was more about the top 25 finishes and conference championships that came in 2 great conferences.

there working on this building too or it may already be done im not sure
sheepbarn1-300x203.jpg

The Sheep Barn will be renovated to become the Barnes Center, a place for student activity and engagement. Innovation is an amazing thing.
Heres the link
http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediar...uilding-to-house-new-student-activity-center/

I prefer a proven coach with a good balance of great recruiters and great on field coaches. But the attention will certainly be on recruiting with this hire so maybe it is an up and comer type.

I screwed up and went back 45 years. But the point was more about the top 25 finishes and conference championships that came in 2 great conferences.

Just make sure the proven guy won't be eligible for social security during his first decade at the helm.

Recruiting has changed so drastically in the last 5-6 years, you gotta have someone that's willing to innovate and play the new game (mostly kissing the @$$es of 15, 16 & 17 year old high school football players and building up their egos through social media). Coaches from the old school hate this and I don't blame them one bit, but it's necessary now.

Just make sure the proven guy won't be eligible for social security during his first decade at the helm.

Recruiting has changed so drastically in the last 5-6 years, you gotta have someone that's willing to innovate and play the new game (mostly kissing the @$$es of 15, 16 & 17 year old high school football players and building up their egos through social media). Coaches from the old school hate this and I don't blame them one bit, but it's necessary now.
I wouldn't mind a guy in his mid 50's that can hire a staff that knows how to recruit. Some of the best programs in the country have coaches that fit that bill. Bama, LSU, Baylor, Utah, TCU, and Michigan State all have coaches in their mid 50s or older. And the other ones have coaches over 50 like Michigan, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and FSU.

Recruiting comes down to hiring the right people. A HC only has limited contact. They still have to be prepared to seal the deal. But not hiring the right people after guys like Beamer, Graham, EJ, Lawing, etc left was a bigger factor in our drop off than Spurrier himself not liking it.

I wouldn't mind a guy in his mid 50's that can hire a staff that knows how to recruit. Some of the best programs in the country have coaches that fit that bill. Bama, LSU, Baylor, Utah, TCU, and Michigan State all have coaches in their mid 50s or older. And the other ones have coaches over 50 like Michigan, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and FSU.

Recruiting comes down to hiring the right people. A HC only has limited contact. They still have to be prepared to seal the deal. But not hiring the right people after guys like Beamer, Graham, EJ, Lawing, etc left was a bigger factor in our drop off than Spurrier himself not liking it.

I agree with all of that. I don't envy athletic directors for this part of their job, which of course is the most important part. There's so much that goes into winning college football games now, it's not as easy as just being one of the top brands out there (see Southern Cal, Texas, Michigan, Florida last several years, etc.....). I tend to agree with the breakdown of: 60% talent, 30% culture and 10% coaching. Since the coaches are responsible for developing the culture....they kind of go hand in hand. I know that's not a popular percentage breakdown on this board, but I tried to tell you guys over the summer that John Hoke could be a phenomenal defensive coordinator, but you won't know this year because there will still be talent deficiencies everywhere. Give John Hoke the 2011 gamecock starters and you would be making comparisons to the '85 bears.

Coaching is the difference maker in closely contested football games. Clock management, run/pass on critical plays, going for it on 4th down, etc........ in most games, it never comes down to that. Until recently, Spurrier was really good at that. Dabo was TERRIBLE at clock management when we first hired him. Now, he's just average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT