ADVERTISEMENT

Good or bad, Clempson to the SEC talk is heating up

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001

This could be happening or the media got blindsided by the news last week and trying to drum up some more news.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucketdad
So...How just how many teams can one conference have? With Texas and Okla coming in that puts the SEC at 16 teams. I guess 18 teams with two 9 teams divisions?

So...How just how many teams can one conference have? With Texas and Okla coming in that puts the SEC at 16 teams. I guess 18 teams with two 9 teams divisions?
That's what everyone is having fun discussing.

There's REALLY no max number. It's all how it's structured and how much money they are going to be able to pull in on TV rights.

One insane idea is that the ACC splits up with half the teams going to B1G and the other half going to the SEC.

I'd love 18 teams. Grab VT and a NC school (NCSU maybe) for those markets. VT Football has a bit of an SEC feel to it, and we add a strong baseball team to the mix in NCSU.

The ACC teams have to pay a ton of money to leave early. It seems unlikely unless everyone is underestimating how much things will change.

Reactions: rogue cock

At least take 2 of those links away. I’ll let you guess which two….LOL

At this point, I don’t know what to pull for. Years back, I thought Clemson Being in the ACC would hurt them because the conference has a horribly week strength rating. It didn’t work out that way. Clemson breezes to an 11 or 12 win season every year, makes the playoffs, and at least partly because of all of their exposure and winning, they continue to kill it in recruiting.
Maybe The best thing for us is for Clemson to join the expanded SEC. Strength of schedule alone makes me think they lose at least two or three games a year. Wow that might be enough to get them into the expanded playoffs in the future, it wouldn’t make them appear to be an elite national program any longer.

I'd love 18 teams. Grab VT and a NC school (NCSU maybe) for those markets. VT Football has a bit of an SEC feel to it, and we add a strong baseball team to the mix in NCSU.
How do you think SEC tournament in Hoover would play out? I believe it could go away.

Nope. Y'all think we suck against them in recruiting now? Yeah, let's give them the SEC Ace to play why don't we.
And I sure as heck don't want them to be able to play the SEC card in baseball recruiting.
I’m not sure them being in the SEC in football hurts any teams recruiting against them. They seem to be recruiting nationally right now. I honestly don’t see how it would help them in baseball, either. As others have mentioned, the buyout to leave coupled with the easier path to the football playoffs keeps them where they currently are.

Why would the SEC want them, really? They add nothing to our TV market and they are not nearly the national brand that Kirk Herbstreit tries to make them. The NIL is going to take away their recruiting advantage because handing out cars and money is now legal, you don't need a church anymore. Dabo wouldn't want to move even if the money could be found to buy out of the ACC, he is smart enough to know his road to the playoffs would get a whole lot harder. Let them rot on the ACC vine and screw them all.

Reactions: sardis_flash
It would be highest degree to the bad if clemson joins the SEC. If clemson wins the SEC in football, you would NEVER hear the end of it. It also would be the darkest day for South Carolina football. If the join, I will hate it, but will not carry on like how Texas A&M handled the situation.

We’ve been in the SEC for 28 years. In those 28 years we’ve beaten Clemsux 10 times. Who cares if they come over here.

We obviously haven’t done much with that “recruiting advantage” we supposedly have by playing in the SEC.
We've beat them 11 times. We all know we got hoo dooed in 2000. I will never acknowledge that they won that game.

Honestly Clemson moving to the SEC what more than likely negatively affect Clemson's football as the only team who has consistently beat them as Alabama and they are in the SEC. Plus that would mean they probably have to start playing Georgia again regularly in Georgia has a pretty solid record against Clemson

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
It will be a lot easier to buy your way out of a media rights deal with just over three years left to run than one with 15 years left to run. I think the ACC teams are stuck.

Yes, it's gonna happen. The one card USC fans have always played on Clemson is that we're in the SEC and they're not. That'll be out the window. Now they'll have the same money we do and whatever recruiting advantages come with playing in the SEC.

I don't know how much it really affects us. We're going on 30 years have never seriously challenged for the SEC title in football. Our odds of ever winning will go sharply down once you have UT, OU, OSU, Michigan and Clemson in the fold. Is what it is.

It will be a lot easier to buy your way out of a media rights deal with just over three years left to run than one with 15 years left to run. I think the ACC teams are stuck.
ESPN will run ALL of the SEC programming starting in what? 2024?

ESPN runs all of the ACC programming already.

ESPN running ESPN...

I doubt anyone in the ACC is all that stuck regardless of how long their media rights deal is.

Honestly Clemson moving to the SEC what more than likely negatively affect Clemson's football as the only team who has consistently beat them as Alabama and they are in the SEC. Plus that would mean they probably have to start playing Georgia again regularly in Georgia has a pretty solid record against Clemson
UGA has a "pretty solid" record vs CU? UGA leads the series 42-18-4. Pretty dominant I would say.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Yes, it's gonna happen. The one card USC fans have always played on Clemson is that we're in the SEC and they're not. That'll be out the window. Now they'll have the same money we do and whatever recruiting advantages come with playing in the SEC.

I don't know how much it really affects us. We're going on 30 years have never seriously challenged for the SEC title in football. Our odds of ever winning will go sharply down once you have UT, OU, OSU, Michigan and Clemson in the fold. Is what it is.
I think the reason Clempson is currently recruiting so well mostly is because their incredible streak over the last few years in the CFP and winning two titles. If they move to the SEC, getting to the CFP and ultimately a title game gets significantly more difficult. They start losing more, the shine on their star dims.

If a HS player REALLY wants to play in the SEC, they are going to an SEC school. I think the conference argument with a recruit is not and has never been as strong as many Gamecock fans would like to think.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
ESPN will run ALL of the SEC programming starting in what? 2024?

ESPN runs all of the ACC programming already.

ESPN running ESPN...

I doubt anyone in the ACC is all that stuck regardless of how long their media rights deal is.
They're stuck as far as the ACC itself is concerned. Teams that get out have to pay. An ACC with fewer members means less TV revenue than what was negotiated. That was the justification for imposing the exorbitant exit fees on members following the Maryland departure.

And I just don't see CU leadership abandoning their honey hole.

They could join the SEC and never sniff another playoff.
Yeah, I guess you could argue the same about Oklahoma. I think the ACC is a bit more stable and makes more money than the Big 12. I have no idea how everything will shake out.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Yeah, I guess you could argue the same about Oklahoma. I think the ACC is a bit more stable and makes more money than the Big 12. I have no idea how everything will shake out.
Taters have been in the ACC for 68 yrs. I just don't see them leaving.

Taters have been in the ACC for 68 yrs. I just don't see them leaving.
Oklahoma and UT fans were tired of games against Kansas and Iowa State. Clemson fans pretend they don't care that they have boring opponents, but like I said, it will cost a lot of money to leave.

At this point, I don’t know what to pull for. Years back, I thought Clemson Being in the ACC would hurt them because the conference has a horribly week strength rating. It didn’t work out that way. Clemson breezes to an 11 or 12 win season every year, makes the playoffs, and at least partly because of all of their exposure and winning, they continue to kill it in recruiting.
Maybe The best thing for us is for Clemson to join the expanded SEC. Strength of schedule alone makes me think they lose at least two or three games a year. Wow that might be enough to get them into the expanded playoffs in the future, it wouldn’t make them appear to be an elite national program any longer.
Show me a schedule where they lose 3.

Take a look at our upcoming schedule. Is it that difficult to imagine that they might lose 2 or 3 with UGA, Florida, and ATM on the schedule?
You left out USC....they could lose 4.
ElasticTartKilldeer-max-1mb.gif

Let's say Clemson and FSU leave and come to the SEC...What does that do to the ACC then?

They settle for WVU and Rutgers or UCONN? You talk about a TV ratings plummet...

That big payout for leaving the ACC would mean little to Clemson or FSU as they have wealthy donors and with the payouts from the SEC getting bigger, I don't think it would be a problem.

If Clemson and FSU get 15-20 million more dollars from the SEC than the ACC, it pays for itself in 3 years...I say go for it...same to NCSU and VA Tech...if they want to come...I much prefer the latter than Clemson/FSU>

Those pussycats don't want to be in the SEC. The president will want it for the money. The AD and dabo will freak their minds if pushed into the SEC.

They're stuck as far as the ACC itself is concerned. Teams that get out have to pay. An ACC with fewer members means less TV revenue than what was negotiated. That was the justification for imposing the exorbitant exit fees on members following the Maryland departure.
Well, someone would have to pay. From an ESPN article posted yesterday...

ESPN, which owns the SEC Network, signed a $3 billion deal with the SEC last year that will give the network the broadcast rights to all the conference's football games starting in 2024.

Clemson pays some, The SEC pays some, ESPN pays some. These deals can always get done. That 20-year contract the ACC has with ESPN isn't their salvation. It's a death sentence. The ACC Network isn't generating nearly the cash originally estimated. The payout on that original 20-year contract is a pittance compared to the B1G and SEC payouts.

The ACC wants out of that contract. Schools leaving or coming in are grounds to renegotiate that contract and remove that noose from the ACC's neck.

Reactions: Jbouton2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT