ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest single Gamecock play this decade?

Anyone track down the CWS double play that went to the catcher during one of crucial innings? I'm foggy on it now, but it was a 4-2-3 or 4-1-3 double play. I still marvel that we beat a Bauer-led UCLA team for one of our championships.
Florida
The 2:25 mark

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
Tons of great plays here, but Clowney's hit is the only one that as soon as you saw it, you knew you had just seen something that would be remembered as one of the iconic plays of the sport. If the "greatest" play means the one with the most shock and awe, nothing else touches it.

If the definition of "greatest" play is the one with the most impact on Gamecock athletics, I think Merrifield's single to beat UCLA and bring us our first national championship in a major sport has to be it. In that moment, the Gamecocks finally broke through after 100+ years of frustration. Other national championships followed soon thereafter and even now, in the middle of one of the lowest points in Gamecock history, I think all Gamecock fans have a realistic expectation that we won't wait 100 years for our next national title.

If the definition of "greatest" play is the one that sent Gamecock Nation into the loudest frenzy, I think Ace Sanders' punt return against Georgia in 2012 is a strong contender. In probably the highest profile game in Gamecock football history, Ace's punt return basically put that game away in the first quarter.

Honorable mention: Silva's breakaway dunk against Duke in Greenville. I think at that moment, everybody knew we were the more athletic team and were about to run away with that game down the stretch.

Tons of great plays here, but Clowney's hit is the only one that as soon as you saw it, you knew you had just seen something that would be remembered as one of the iconic plays of the sport. If the "greatest" play means the one with the most shock and awe, nothing else touches it.

If the definition of "greatest" play is the one with the most impact on Gamecock athletics, I think Merrifield's single to beat UCLA and bring us our first national championship in a major sport has to be it. In that moment, the Gamecocks finally broke through after 100+ years of frustration. Other national championships followed soon thereafter and even now, in the middle of one of the lowest points in Gamecock history, I think all Gamecock fans have a realistic expectation that we won't wait 100 years for our next national title.

If the definition of "greatest" play is the one that sent Gamecock Nation into the loudest frenzy, I think Ace Sanders' punt return against Georgia in 2012 is a strong contender. In probably the highest profile game in Gamecock football history, Ace's punt return basically put that game away in the first quarter.

Honorable mention: Silva's breakaway dunk against Duke in Greenville. I think at that moment, everybody knew we were the more athletic team and were about to run away with that game down the stretch.

Great post. Echo you on the Merrifield play by your definition. I was actually less ecstatic and more relieved, even puzzled that we had just won the championship. By your criteria, I think Alshon's catch against Bama ranks up there. He was not going to be denied. We really miss those great players who can put us on their backs and will us to great wins.

I swear UF had men on base that whole game and only scored 1 run.

I think that’s the most intense Gamecock game for me ever as a fan. When you consider the high stakes (championship) combined with the way a good baseball game can drag the tension out over and over, it was just crazy. At least with a football game, there is a clock that will usually run out. With baseball, you can have 8 pitches to the same batter with bases loaded and never get a chance to breathe.

Reactions: taiwancock
Thanks for that video. Jefferies' catches in that game,including that one, were clutch. I agree that is the most important football play because it started us on the way to an SEC East championship. The Merrifield hit is my baseball choice because of its national championship association. Clowney's hit will always be the the best ever play, but he had so many. I loved how he would line up on one side away from the play and make the tackle near the line of scrimmage on the other side. It was an honor to watch him- he is the best athlete I have ever seen live. He did unfathomable things on the football field.

Reactions: DrMickey
Thanks for that video. Jefferies' catches in that game,including that one, were clutch. I agree that is the most important football play because it started us on the way to an SEC East championship. The Merrifield hit is my baseball choice because of its national championship association. Clowney's hit will always be the the best ever play, but he had so many. I loved how he would line up on one side away from the play and make the tackle near the line of scrimmage on the other side. It was an honor to watch him- he is the best athlete I have ever seen live. He did unfathomable things on the football field.

That video that Lawman shared of Clowney slinging Aaron Murray around like he was a rag doll ranks up there. How many times as Gamecock fans are we on the opposite side as a unstoppable defensive lineman or running back stomps our heart into the ground at the end of a game? Same reason why Lattimore is so special to us (everyone at the Swamp knew that Marcus was going to get the ball, and yet the Gator defense could not do a dang thing about it).

That video that Lawman shared of Clowney slinging Aaron Murray around like he was a rag doll ranks up there. How many times as Gamecock fans are we on the opposite side as a unstoppable defensive lineman or running back stomps our heart into the ground at the end of a game? Same reason why Lattimore is so special to us (everyone at the Swamp knew that Marcus was going to get the ball, and yet the Gator defense could not do a dang thing about it).
I still think of that performance as maybe the most impactful running back performance at USC. I was fortunate to be there, and he ran us into the SEC East title and the golden age of Gamecock football literally by himself that evening. It was special for Spurrier, for the fans and Marcus.

Reactions: taiwancock
The Clowney/ Ingram tag team on Aaron Murray was another great one. Clowney came through the Georgia oline like water though a screen door and Ingram with the scoop and score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT