ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Veterans Day!!!

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
My dad was a WWII vet.
He enlisted in the navy at 17 years old. His mom, the widowed mother of 5 sons, signed for him to enlist at 17. He went from being a skinny kid who had never been outside Liberty SC to serving on a destroyer. Out of 5 sons, my paternal grandmother sent 4 off to serve in WWII. The only one who didn't enlist was the youngest. The war ended before he got old enough to enlist
So thank you to all the veterans, especially Gamecock Larry!

My dad was a WWII vet.
He enlisted in the navy at 17 years old. His mom, the widowed mother of 5 sons, signed for him to enlist at 17. He went from being a skinny kid who had never been outside Liberty SC to serving on a destroyer. Out of 5 sons, my paternal grandmother sent 4 off to serve in WWII. The only one who didn't enlist was the youngest. The war ended before he got old enough to enlist
So thank you to all the veterans, especially Gamecock Larry!
My Dad was 24 in 1941 so he was considered old. He was a 1st Lt in Army Signal Corps and operated (secret) radar installations in New Guinea. Despite the native women sharpening their teeth to a point and making them black be eating beetle nuts, he said they started to look good after a while.

My Dad was 24 in 1941 so he was considered old. He was a 1st Lt in Army Signal Corps and operated (secret) radar installations in New Guinea. Despite the native women sharpening their teeth to a point and making them black be eating beetle nuts, he said they started to look good after a while.
Actually, the average age of a soldier in WWll was over 24. Vietnam had a much lower average

My uncle George was a B-24 Liberator pilot flying out of Italy during WW2. He and his crew of 10 were denied their R&R in Paris due to a shortage of hotel rooms, even though they had completed the required 15 bombing missions over Germany. During “Big Week” in February 1944 where the allied air corps were concentrating on cutting off Germanys oil and fuel production facilities was the 19th and final mission. En-route over Streyr, Austria his Liberator was hit straight on by the German ace Otto Haus. (Haus would be shot down and killed later that day). Uncle George is buried in a church yard in Steyr near where his plane crashed. He was 23 years old. Three of his crew parachuted to safety. The oldest, Jesse Bradley passed away not too long ago. I would have loved to have met him. R.I.P. the crew of “Stardust”.

Had a relative that was an Army chaplain ( Wofford grad ). He perished when a German sub torpedoed his troop ship in the North Atlantic. We always believed he gave his spot on a life raft to another crew member. I gave $100 towards a plaque at Wofford where his name is engraved along with the other Wofford chaplains who lost their lives during war.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT