ADVERTISEMENT

Has a former Gamecock ever been on a Super Bowl winning team?

Wow. Been a Skins fan since 1970 (end of the Sonny Jurgenson era) and have never heard that. Not as many sources for info back then. Going off memory the media kept saying George was banged up and Gibbs may start Smith. I remember thinking Uh oh there goes our chance of winning not only because George was hurt but he was using back up Doug Williams at QB. Who was to know that Williams and Smith would have career best nights that evening. Made Gibbs look like a genius. He called off the Dogs early that night. He could have put 70 on Elway and co. HTTR!!

never heard that about super bowl week and George, and I don't believe it either, that stuff comes out eventually when true.

He had well documented issues with the Saints early on but it is also well documented he was banged up, with injuries, at the super bowl at the end.

He ran the ball 378 times in his rookie year alone, with horrible blocking on a terrible Saints team, that is alot

He retired due to accumulated injuries, he was a big back and took a lot of hits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/05/george-rogers-feels-the-pain-of-a-football-career/

George Rogers feels the pain of a football career
Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2009, 7:32 PM EST
Hardly ever does a day go by without another story of a retired football player who’s living with health problems tied to his playing days. Today the story is that of George Rogers, the former Saints and Redskins running back who was the first overall draft pick and rookie of the year in 1981.

Rogers, now 50 years old, says he has daily pain in his knee, shoulder, shins, toes and thumb, all of which he traces to football injuries.

“Some days I hate to wake up,” Rogers says, “because I know I can’t stand on my feet. I have trouble walking some days. . . . Those are the battle scars you take with you when you leave that league. When they say ‘NFL,’ they mean it: ‘Not For Long.'”

Rogers also says he played through concussions, an issue that’s particularly sensitive for the NFL right now after Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked to testify before Congress on the matter. Rogers believes concussions on the playing field affect memory later in life.

“The older you get, the more you can’t remember anyway,” Rogers says. “I think (the concussions) affect your memory. Hey, you’re a running back. You’re probably taking more hits than anybody on the field, as far as taking licks, getting hit.”

Rogers led the league in rushing as a rookie with the Saints in 1981, and he led the league in touchdown with the Redskins in 1986. He retired at the age of 29 after the 1987 season, citing nagging injuries.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever
Timmy Smith had an amazing game out of no where, is the legend of that super bowl

But no one played fantasy football back then

His carries and production were increasing

In the NFC Championship game vs Minnesota, Timmy Smith was 13 carries for 73 yards and Rogers 13 carries for 46 yards.

Was George partying before the NFC Champ game as well? Ridiculous story if you ask me.

That gets left out.

Thanks. Thats who i meant. He went to my church as a kid in Irmo (Cornerstone Pres) and showed us video clips of him playing in the Super Bowl when we had a function. Think he had a pick. Very humble guy though.
I spent some time around Bobby after he retired from the Vikings with the all time interception record for that team. He indeed is a very humble guy and is faith driven. Good vibes from that gamecock !

The version I heard was that George staying up all night before the Super Bowl is what got Timmy Smith the start. George had 5 carries for 17 yeards in the game. That was basically the end of George’s career. Couldn’t get a job on any team the next year despite having “carried the team” to the Super Bowl.

I love him, but he HAD his problems
George was capable of a better career in the NFL. I think he could have had a hall-of-fame career. He had issues that undid him.

never heard that about super bowl week and George, and I don't believe it either, that stuff comes out eventually when true.

He had well documented issues with the Saints early on but it is also well documented he was banged up, with injuries, at the super bowl at the end.

He ran the ball 378 times in his rookie year alone, with horrible blocking on a terrible Saints team, that is alot

He retired due to accumulated injuries, he was a big back and took a lot of hits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/05/george-rogers-feels-the-pain-of-a-football-career/

George Rogers feels the pain of a football career
Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2009, 7:32 PM EST
Hardly ever does a day go by without another story of a retired football player who’s living with health problems tied to his playing days. Today the story is that of George Rogers, the former Saints and Redskins running back who was the first overall draft pick and rookie of the year in 1981.

Rogers, now 50 years old, says he has daily pain in his knee, shoulder, shins, toes and thumb, all of which he traces to football injuries.

“Some days I hate to wake up,” Rogers says, “because I know I can’t stand on my feet. I have trouble walking some days. . . . Those are the battle scars you take with you when you leave that league. When they say ‘NFL,’ they mean it: ‘Not For Long.'”

Rogers also says he played through concussions, an issue that’s particularly sensitive for the NFL right now after Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked to testify before Congress on the matter. Rogers believes concussions on the playing field affect memory later in life.

“The older you get, the more you can’t remember anyway,” Rogers says. “I think (the concussions) affect your memory. Hey, you’re a running back. You’re probably taking more hits than anybody on the field, as far as taking licks, getting hit.”

Rogers led the league in rushing as a rookie with the Saints in 1981, and he led the league in touchdown with the Redskins in 1986. He retired at the age of 29 after the 1987 season, citing nagging injuries.
Bad as that is, George is Mr. Adonis today compared to Earl Campbell. He's in terrible shape. But what a man.

Reactions: SCexpat38
If Sterling Sharpe's career had not ended with an injury in 1994, he would have won one in 1996 with the Packers. It is my understanding that Shannon gave him one of his rings in recognition for the positive influence Sterling had on him.
Remember who delivered the hit that ended Shannon Sharpe's career? That would be Brad Edwards.

Yes indeed. Earl was one of the greatest backs ever. Loved watching him run. He left everything on the field.
Bum Phillips used up everything Earl had, and he probably would have done the same thing to George had they stayed together long enough..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT