ADVERTISEMENT

Has this massive nexus between politics and sport

I have never said that he was “out to disrespect veterans” although many are. I also know there is probably an equal amount that feel disrespected but understand that is a personal right to do so. I did say that I thought it was disrespectful. My opinion regardless of his intentions. I feel like he could have chose a different way to make his stand (or take his knee).
You said "although many are". Who are the many that's out to disrespect Veterans?

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Glad to see you are making points instead of just asking questions today. I like it.

So, we are still in the demean and destroy stages. Demean with academic terms like white privilege and micro aggressions and calling anyone who remotely differs with the protesters viewpoint horrible names. Then, get them fired, humiliated, whatever. The protests introduce the destroy stage, where property, people, institutions are attacked, and innocents and historians are peripheral damage. Destroy their peace of mind, destroy their quiet, uneventful lives.

Maybe, after all that, we arrive at a demand stage.

Here's an idea. Just skip to the demand stage, lay off the defund the police hyperbole, and put forth concrete proposals. Put forth the costs. Tell "white people" as you describe them what they, their families, their communities will have to pay in time and money. All people whatever their race are going to protect their family's welfare. In achieving national or societal goals, every American family starts inside their house in dealing with costs of personal vs civic vs political. And yes, there are costs for all sides.

African Americans have every right to demand equality and fair treatment. It is our unfulfilled promise. Current day "white americans" as you call them, have an interest in that, and also in their family's future. When push comes to shove, it does not come down to black and white. It comes down to each person and each family. It comes down to each heart. It comes down to the balance every one of us faces in setting familial priorities, caring about our countries, and our fellow man.

The only monolithic block here is not "white Americans." It is humanity, broken into smaller, more personal groups that all think differently, and all want freedom, joy, safety, for they and their loved ones, whatever their race.

Quit the name calling and fancy nomenclature and lay out some details. Big words scare people.

Very well said. As I stated in my previous posts, I am a man of accountability. If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. I fully agree that the use of the terminology of “white privilege” is in and of itself racist. It implies that someone is given something based on the color of their skin. So, one would then have to agree that “black privilege” exists or “Asian privilege” or etc... exists. It could be pointed out that certain percentages of different cultures get extra points added to their SAT scores because of their race. Or certain jobs have to be given to someone because of their race and not based on merits. I don’t agree with either.

I like the way that you have put it in that different people have different things that they look out for that is personal to them. I can fully understand and appreciate that.

Reactions: Lurker123
Listening and trying to sympathize is not that hard. But there are still people that can't do it. They try to minimize the concerns and experiences of other people and have a hard time accepting that we can do better. They don't get it, and they say insensitive things. I can see the forest for the trees, and these past few weeks are not about Targets and statues. We still have people that are reluctant to say that black lives matter, because they can't handle that nuance or are resistant based on some illogical fear. A line needs to be drawn, but I refuse to get swept up in the hysteria that says this country is falling apart when you had people of all backgrounds protesting systemic racism that we have failed at addressing since this country's founding. Sorry that you don't like the "big words", but that is not something that is inherent to one "side".
I understand your view. Your heart is certainly in the right place. I don't like the term microaggressions, but do they occur....definitely, sometimes. Do people see them when they are not there? Yeah. I found diversity training to be, basically, wordy and ineffective. We have moved from that to strategized societal campaigns on a broader scale. We always seem to take the wrong approach to resolving race issues in this country. You and I can have the same goal but see how to get there in very, very different ways.

I think we need to quit the attacks and counterattacks...and hear, not shut down, both sides. More of us than you know get it. We just need to find a common, decent way to become decent people.

I still think sports is more fun without politics, and it's gonna hurt the games. But, I digress.

Last edited:
White privilege raising its ugly heads. The people who came to be called United States citizens but at the time were British colonialists and subjects protested and demonstrated much like what is happening today, with the very notable exception that their protests were far more violent and deadly, and led to a war.

Today we celebrate that period of protest with national holidays and pride, and by saluting to the flag and what it represents, which is all the individual freedoms and rights that those protests won for us as a people.

But nothing has been ultimately won: if our freedoms and rights as citizens are as valued as we claim them to be, then they are also under threat and assault every single day, and not only by hostiles outside our country. Our founding fathers left us a great power and authority as owners of our nation, and as they say, with great authority comes great responsibility. We as a people need to be diligent every day, to ensure that our rights and freedoms we've won with bloodshed and lives are not infringed upon and whittled down or eroded away. We need to be militant that rights we are due are not merely empty words. We need to demand that the vision of a nation of true equality and freedom as the Constitution states, is realized and protected and defended, again every single day.

Soldiers going off to a foreign strange land to fight and possibly die defending those freedoms is but one way we as a people do it. We have battles to fight on our own sovereign soil. This is a way citizens outside the military do it.

The hypocrisy never ends, and is boundless......

“White privilege” is that how you view my posts? Because I believe that standing for the Anthem means something? Because I am open to civil debate? Because I appreciate the history of our country? Because I desire for every citizen to have equal rights? Because I believe that everyone has the right to kneel but don’t like the optics and message being sent to younger generations? Because I believe that there are better ways to exercise their right to protest makes me privileged?

Does your need to be “militant” include killing innocent people, burning of property, blocking major roads, occupying city blocks, or throwing rocks at the police? Does it excuse those who break the law?

Very well said. As I stated in my previous posts, I am a man of accountability. If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. I fully agree that the use of the terminology of “white privilege” is in and of itself racist. It implies that someone is given something based on the color of their skin. So, one would then have to agree that “black privilege” exists or “Asian privilege” or etc... exists. It could be pointed out that certain percentages of different cultures get extra points added to their SAT scores because of their race. Or certain jobs have to be given to someone because of their race and not based on merits. I don’t agree with either.

I like the way that you have put it in that different people have different things that they look out for that is personal to them. I can fully understand and appreciate that.

Everyday, every minute, in every life, people are focusing on their personal world. And those immediately in it. It's a forgotten aspect of big societal change.

Last edited:
I understand your view. Your heart is certainly in the right place. I don't like the term microaggressions, but do they occur....definitely, sometimes. Do people see them when they are not there? Yeah. It might surprise you to know I have led, consolidated and presented diversity training in my past. I found it to be, basically, wordy and ineffective. We have moved from that to strategized societal campaigns on a broader scale. We always seem to take the wrong approach to resolving race issues in this country. You and I can have the same goal but see how to get there in very, very different ways.

I think we need to quit the attacks and counterattacks...and hear, not shut down, both sides. More of us "white people" than you know get it. We just need to find a common, decent way to become decent people.

I still think sports is more fun with politics, and it's gonna hurt the games. But, I digress.

Absolutely agree with your thoughts and greatly appreciate them!

I also cannot wait for sports to return. Whether their is kneeling or not will not influence my decision to watch or attend. My beliefs are just that. My beliefs. I offer no excuses for them because they are mine. Everyone has that right and it is fun to debate and hear others thoughts and opinions.

But ultimately; as this is a sports forum, I cannot wait for competition in the athletic arena to return and allow us more opportunity to discuss what I believe we all have in common. Our passion for all things Gamecock!

So, how does he respond to you now? Does he still say "white privilege" to a black man? He seems to think that is some awesome retort to anyone else.

I think he has to consult his Tim Wise propaganda primer to figure it out.

But that response to me, specifically, is part of the unfounded hubris displayed by leftist maggots on a daily basis. Just accuse and attack, with no regard for the truth.

White privilege raising its ugly heads. The people who came to be called United States citizens but at the time were British colonialists and subjects protested and demonstrated much like what is happening today, with the very notable exception that their protests were far more violent and deadly, and led to a war.

Today we celebrate that period of protest with national holidays and pride, and by saluting to the flag and what it represents, which is all the individual freedoms and rights that those protests won for us as a people.

But nothing has been ultimately won: if our freedoms and rights as citizens are as valued as we claim them to be, then they are also under threat and assault every single day, and not only by hostiles outside our country. Our founding fathers left us a great power and authority as owners of our nation, and as they say, with great authority comes great responsibility. We as a people need to be diligent every day, to ensure that our rights and freedoms we've won with bloodshed and lives are not infringed upon and whittled down or eroded away. We need to be militant that rights we are due are not merely empty words. We need to demand that the vision of a nation of true equality and freedom as the Constitution states, is realized and protected and defended, again every single day.

Soldiers going off to a foreign strange land to fight and possibly die defending those freedoms is but one way we as a people do it. We have battles to fight on our own sovereign soil. This is a way citizens outside the military do it.

The hypocrisy never ends, and is boundless......
I think it is safe to say that, in general, people of color support the right of a player to kneel during the national anthem. To them, it is not a shot at the military, grandfathers, flags, or the sacrifices of previous generations.

Then, you have people that oppose kneeling and say that no cause is great enough to kneel during the anthem. This has to be a safe assumption.

It seems to not have dawned on the people that are in such hostile opposition that they're all white people. That being the case, they're either acknowledging that they cannot sympathize with other people or that these black people have a character problem.

It absolutely is white privilege, and I hate using those phrases, because for some reason, it is a non-starter for some white people. It's viewed as an attack on their work ethic and character. They think pulling one's self up by the bootstraps is doable for everyone. This whole conversation is about systemic racism, and for many, acknowledging that seems to be very problematic.

BS. Many blacks are against it and are sick of being used be liberal democrats.

ruined sports in general for you? Does not matter your political viewpoint, does all this make it " just not any fun anymore?"

Sports brought us together as a country once for shared reasons and shared loves; now it threatens to rip us further apart. It was an escape, now it will be an information zone, a live action simulation of cable news show and street protest. Litmus tests to play, attend, perhaps even join a Gamecock Club. Booster clubs will pay dearly for the wrong associations. Tailgates, if they come back, will be monitored for speech. Every cheer will be scrutinized or prohibited. Team attire will be scrutinized. Special nights for select political groups will create resentment, infighting and jealousy. Surely, there will be no more prayers before games. The only mention of God will be in curses from players, coaches and fans.

It will no longer build character; it will breed contempt. It will no longer entertain, it will drown you in causes and virtue signaling. Groups will battle for the playing field stage. It will become about anything but....the sport.

Who would spend their time and money on something fun that is so unpleasant and disturbing? Yes, politics has ruined the joy of sport.

It absolutely has for me.

I don't politics, conservative or liberal, in my sports. I want sports. Period.

This ignorance is going to infiltrate sports across the board. Forget ever watching ESPN again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT