ADVERTISEMENT

He hate me league is coming back...link

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
amp
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...al-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/amp/

Rod Smart. You know he played for Panthers too. Personally, I hope it is less ridiculous this time.....Vince M, probably NOT!

what if they came out with a lot of money and told college kids they would take them as sohpomores
This could be a significant development. The NFL's 3 year rule is arbitrary. If the XFL had no such rule you have to wonder if some can't miss future pros would take the money rather than risk getting hurt in college playing for free. The XFL would have to establish itself as economically viable for several years before you would see someone like a Clowney jump early. And they would have to have an out clause that allowed palyers to enter the NFL draft after the 3 years post high school. Vince said he doesn't want the XFL to be a development league for the NFL so they may not go this route but if they did it could hurt college football.

I think it can work if they approach it correctly, and it sounds that they might. The original XFL was too much WWF and not enough about football. Simplify the product with less gimmicks. Market it as a football league with patriotic, all-American values, that the average American can afford and you will find an audience.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
This could be a significant development. The NFL's 3 year rule is arbitrary. If the XFL had no such rule you have to wonder if some can't miss future pros would take the money rather than risk getting hurt in college playing for free. The XFL would have to establish itself as economically viable for several years before you would see someone like a Clowney jump early. And they would have to have an out clause that allowed palyers to enter the NFL draft after the 3 years post high school. Vince said he doesn't want the XFL to be a development league for the NFL so they may not go this route but if they did it could hurt college football.
While $100,000.00 in tuition and other costs over a four-year period pale in comparison to what a pro football player makes, I wouldn't call it "playing for free."

I think the XFL will never rival the NFL and any effort to go after the NFL will end badly. It’s the MOB/RICO/Jimmy Hoffa effect.

Seriously, a GOOD XFL will populated with medium talent players (past NFL prime or not quite good enough). Kids mentality will be ‘l’m good enough to play in the NFL’, so they only come to the XFL after the NFL rejects them.

Market for XFL is some subservient position to the NFL in favorable locations. And no outrageous shenanigans.

Won't work....again.
I'm not so sure. I give this version a much better chance. Here's why...

• McMahon says they won't repeat the gimmicks and this version will be family-friendly
  • The quality of play will be higher with a couple years to prepare
  • They will openly-embrace gambling which is where a lot of the money is in pro football
  • Innovations like fewer commercials and penalties, no politics, etc. will appeal to a lot of fans
  • Single-entity ownership could be a game-changer. This is what MLS did. It allowed that league to survive the early days and thrive recently. It allows the league to control costs and decision-making centrally whereas owners are basically "investor operators" of their clubs and own a portion of the league.
  • The stadium options could be MUCH better this time around: MLS has been building very nice, 20,000-30,000 seat stadiums all over the country and many of those owners would love to have another tenant to help pay-down their $250 million investments. So, there will be several very good stadium options without using any NFL or college venues or trying to shoe-horn a football field into a baseball stadium. Basically, what you see now with the LA Chargers playing at StubHub arena (LA Galaxy home venue) could be the norm for the XFL and that beats the heck out of what they were doing last time.

Granted, it will be tough for any new league to sustain interest with the power of the NFL and college football. But this attempt has a better chance than either the prior XFL or USFL in my opinion.

what if they came out with a lot of money and told college kids they would take them as sohpomores
Yep or even make it a one-and-done rule like the NBA.

Wouldn't even have to be that much money. For as little as $100K per year, many would forego college, play a couple years in the XFL, and try to get drafted or signed by the NFL thereafter. In fact, they may see it as an advantage because the pros wouldn't have limitations on practice time, and they wouldn't have to attend class and keep their grades up. Plus, if you're gonna risk a career-ending injury, might as well get paid for doing so.

I'll bet Josh Rosen would have taken that deal two years ago, not to mention a slew of other star players.

It's not as silly as it sounds.

Last edited:
Man I wouldn’t bet against Vince failing two times In a row . Love him or hate him , Vince is a marketing genius with Millions of dollars to throw away . He has already said he’s not competing with the NFL . I think if he put teams in smaller markets or markets with weak NFL teams ( Cleveland) then people are so football hungry they would support it . Orlando , San Diego , San Antonio , Birmingham , Oklahoma City , etc etc . It will never challenge the NFL but I’d rather watch half ass football than the best NBA or MLB all day long . There are plenty of good college players that aren’t NFL caliber that would give their right arms to play again . If Connor Shaw was the new QB for the San Antonio Mastadons .... I would probably check it out .

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Loved the "He Hate Me" jersey! What was that guy`s name and where is the pic?

Competing with the NFL is suicidal. Having some sort of working agreement with the NFL may very well be mutually beneficial.

If there's any league with which they'd be competing, it would be Arena Football, IMO

While $100,000.00 in tuition and other costs over a four-year period pale in comparison to what a pro football player makes, I wouldn't call it "playing for free."
$100,000 may be what the college tells its applicants it is worth, their true costs are far different. Imagine it in terms of adding just 1 scholarship athlete to a team. You give them an empty bed in a dorm, campus food and books, and put them in an already existing class with a professor you have already paid. Schools have gotten off lightly for decades.

It doesn't have to compete with the NFL, it merely has to be sustainable. The USFL would have worked if they had kept the spring schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT