ADVERTISEMENT

Heres why NIL is gonna be especially brutal on USC

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Seeing where “we” fans are falling way short on giving our $$ to Garnet Trust to keep players from leaving. Well here is why USC is gonna be hit especially hard by this NIL/portal nightmare: Because we are so loyal.

USC fans sell out 85,000 seats during 0-22 streak. We had the best atmosphere in CFB on Kentucky night for a 3-6 (at the time) team.

But then, we are hit with players who wont show that loyalty back. 50% of portal entries dont ever play again. And they’re willing to risk that to try to force more $$ from fans. And they are willing to give up what we would all consider a DREAM of a lifetime, a chance to be a Gamecocks football player.

Its just off putting, in particular for fan bases like South Carolina, Nebraska, and orhers who will sell out the stadium no matter the record of the team, but then have scholarship players bail on the dream if we dont pay even more. Our fans just arent gonna do it in mass numbers

Seeing where “we” fans are falling way short on giving our $$ to Garnet Trust to keep players from leaving. Well here is why USC is gonna be hit especially hard by this NIL/portal nightmare: Because we are so loyal.

USC fans sell out 85,000 seats during 0-22 streak. We had the best atmosphere in CFB on Kentucky night for a 3-6 (at the time) team.

But then, we are hit with players who wont show that loyalty back. 50% of portal entries dont ever play again. And they’re willing to risk that to try to force more $$ from fans. And they are willing to give up what we would all consider a DREAM of a lifetime, a chance to be a Gamecocks football player.

Its just off putting, in particular for fan bases like South Carolina, Nebraska, and orhers who will sell out the stadium no matter the record of the team, but then have scholarship players bail on the dream if we dont pay even more. Our fans just arent gonna do it in mass numbers

Interesting line of thought.

I wonder when/if some sort of backlash will start over the "students" making as much as they do. Part of it is the market, people will start to question if an extra star is worth that much money.

Then, to your point, we're going to start asking if it's worth it for a kid who won't be here next year.

I almost hit the “Like” button to OP
But I do not like it
Because it is true

We need a true button
“True”

Reactions: Lurker123
I have money. And I will never give to GT or whatever NIL program we have. Call me old fashion but loyalty and trust goes a long way with me. I get closer every year to not renewing.

Reactions: Cybercock
I have money. And I will never give to GT or whatever NIL program we have. Call me old fashion but loyalty and trust goes a long way with me. I get closer every year to not renewing.

I have heard more than a few people say something similar.

The first reason is usually that they are giving to the university and AD already.

The second reason is usually in line with your post.

The third reason resonates a lot. It usually starts with what people USED to give, and how much a deserving charity can do more with that same money.

With college football becoming a "free agent every season" free for all of bidding, I see a lot of people checking out.

Reactions: Cybercock
This is quite the time of turmoil. Some was imposed externally with the SCt mandating NIL. But much of the damage or change was caused by the sudden implementation of the lax portal rules. That was self damage by the NCAA. They should have had "sit out a year" to use the portal.

This is quite the time of turmoil. Some was imposed externally with the SCt mandating NIL. But much of the damage or change was caused by the sudden implementation of the lax portal rules. That was self damage by the NCAA. They should have had "sit out a year" to use the portal.

And no exception for grad school transfer either. Graduate and transfer, still sit a year.

This is not going to change much anytime soon. It is what it is.

Money is what matters. That's true in pro sports. It's true in college sports.

it gets bigger every day.

Jon Rahm just signed with the Saudi Royals for what could be $500 million dollars (rumors it could be that high).

The best best for USC is to start recruiting members of the Saudi Royal family (nieces, nephews, great grandchildren, etc) and then have the telemarketers bombard the Royals for donations to Garnet Trust.

If you’re already not attending games why would you give one cent to a sport you can care less about. For those that attend 1-2 games a year. That’s support enough. That equivalent to minimal giving. For the ones that have season tickets. I’m going to guess it’s not all about must win every game. Keep putting a competitive team on the field and fans will show up. So far Beamer has done that. If you’re looking for fans to support GT or NIl. I’m guessing that’s not happening anywhere. That’s for the big donors and business owners to write off on taxes , etc.

Can we now end this thread and start 5 more just like it. They are easier to keep up with when we have 5-6 of the same ones going . The 1-2 day old threads get too bogged down with spam bots going back and forth.

Reactions: Ward Jr
It is difficult to ask fans for additional support to basically maintain our position in the SEC.

Schools like Texas, USC-W, FSU, Oregon, etc. now have the ability to accelerate their programs via big donors/corps and TV markets.

This isn't our situation as a member of the hypercompetitive SEC.

Our fans are faced with the dilemma of basically paying extra if we want to continue to view the same product we've seen for years (unless a big donor shows up to skew the process.)

Tough sell.

I have less a problem with grad transfers than I do these redshirt sophomores who are already on their third school.

Agreed.

A grad transfer has stayed long enough, and even graduated. Of you're goingbto let anyone transfer, those would be a good place to start.

But I've often said, kill the immediate transfer, make the kids sit a year, and it will make a dent in this portal foolishness.

It won't fix it, but it will make a dent.

This is not going to change much anytime soon. It is what it is.

Money is what matters. That's true in pro sports. It's true in college sports.

it gets bigger every day.

Jon Rahm just signed with the Saudi Royals for what could be $500 million dollars (rumors it could be that high).

The best best for USC is to start recruiting members of the Saudi Royal family (nieces, nephews, great grandchildren, etc) and then have the telemarketers bombard the Royals for donations to Garnet Trust.

Ha.

The big delineation is that the NFL and PGA both at least attempt to keep it a competition on the field.

College Football in it's current format is quickly becoming a competition of bank accounts.

Reactions: usc_nc
I have less a problem with grad transfers than I do these redshirt sophomores who are already on their third school.

I have less of a problem with it too, but it will become more of a problem if they make kids sit a year. You will see more rushing to get their degrees in 3 years so they can transfer once in those 3 years and then immediately for their 4th year. Ridiculous for a kid to play at 3 school in 4 years.

I have less of a problem with it too, but it will become more of a problem if they make kids sit a year. You will see more rushing to get their degrees in 3 years so they can transfer once in those 3 years and then immediately for their 4th year. Ridiculous for a kid to play at 3 school in 4 years.

If we're going to allow ANY transfers, my first choice would be to go with the grads. They at least graduated. If they rush to get a degree in 3 years? I'd pat them on the back and say good job.

After that, they should sit a year. Maybe even that year sitting counts as a year of eligibility. That would certainly curtail the insanity.

I see your point. However...USC Alumni and our great fanbase have a reputation of loyalty out of proportion to the "product" on the field. And we have watched Bama, Clemson, and UGA teams win national titles while we sit at home. I look at what is happening as a glimmer of hope for us. Now the bigtime cheaters cannot secretly buy athletes under the table, because we will have a shot at outbidding them. I love the Gamecocks and I love to see us win.

The idea that these college kids are "professional athletes" is just another psyops from the clueless and corrupt Progressives who thought carving up 10-year olds was a good idea. They keep repeating the message over and over on TV until people start believing it's true.

These kids aren't even old enough to legally drink beer. College is an education in the classroom and on the field. If you don't want Universities or corporations to use your name, you should be able to opt out of that.

Give every player on the team $25K a year and they'll probably work together much better than one kid getting $5 million while others get zero.. Also, health and injury/career insurance should be provided in full from schools. Transfer portal would remain the same. You're free to move anywhere you want and start playing immediately - but the $25K remains the same wherever you go. If you want to go straight to the NFL or some combine, you can do that straight out of high school like baseball and basketball players.

I give money to great charities that do good, not to entities for entertainment purposes. Could I? Yes. I'm probably upper middle class. But, winning games is not high on my priority list. I don't believe that's my purpose on this earth.

Some schools that thought they would be NIL winners are hurting. For example, OU's star QB Dillon Gabriel to Oregon. A&M losing so many 5-stars they bought with NIL. Georgia lost Brock Vandegrift to Kentucky.

At this point FCS football is what I'll be following. College football is unrecognizable from just a few years ago.

Our fans are faced with the dilemma of basically paying extra if we want to continue to view the same product we've seen for years (unless a big donor shows up to skew the process.)

The new interest for our fanbase will likely become the portal. You can always get hyped about new names and pretend they’re going to change your fortune.

I’m amazed how excited some of our fans are about picking up transfers that were backups at their current schools.

The new interest for our fanbase will likely become the portal. You can always get hyped about new names and pretend they’re going to change your fortune.

I’m amazed how excited some of our fans are about picking up transfers that were backups at their current schools.
I no longer get excited about any recruit or transfer we pick up. As things stand now, they are here today and gone tomorrow.

I no longer get excited about any recruit or transfer we pick up. As things stand now, they are here today and gone tomorrow.
Same here. The thrill of college football is just about gone. The allure was that they were our guys. Us against y’all. We’d follow recruiting, see our young guys come in, and watch them grow.

The first problem for me was when guys started sitting out bowl games. Deebo sitting out, standing on the sidelines, watching Virginia beat us 28-0, opened my eyes.

Players demanded that they have the right to earn NIL money. That right was granted.

They cannot demand our respect.

These players are going to kill the very thing that they needed so much, college athletics.

Same here. The thrill of college football is just about gone. The allure was that they were our guys. Us against y’all. We’d follow recruiting, see our young guys come in, and watch them grow.

The first problem for me was when guys started sitting out bowl games. Deebo sitting out, standing on the sidelines, watching Virginia beat us 28-0, opened my eyes.

Players demanded that they have the right to earn NIL money. That right was granted.

They cannot demand our respect.

These players are going to kill the very thing that they needed so much, college athletics.
Well said. They will get "theirs" now, whatever "theirs" is. But for kids now in the 4th grade playing "pee wee" football, college athletics will be in the "hospital" by the time they are seniors in high school, unless real changes are made.

Just to be clear, the great charities, I mentioned above, I give to annually are:

S.t Judes Childrens Cancer Hospital;
the Greenville South Carolina Children Shriners Hospital (for the handicapped child);
UNICEF;
Matthew 25 Ministries in Cincinnati who are active in helping communities hit by disasters;
my local Salvation Army;
my local animal shelter;
a local childrens home that, among other things, provides safety for abused children; and
and a local agency that assists the elderly, poor with food, help with utility bills and transportation.

If you can help a good worthy charity with whatever you can afford, I urge you to do that. Hell, even as little as $25 can help. I don't know about you but, I waste $25 just leaving unnecessary lights on in my home.

When Star Trek actor Lenord Nimoy passed away, his friend and colleague, actor William Shatner did not attend the funeral. Instead he had his 2 daughters represent him. Nimoy's death was sudden. Shatner had previously obligated himself to be a celebrity fundraiser for the Red Cross. Shatner chose to keep his promise to the Red Cross, instead of going to the funeral.

Shatner said (and I'm paraphrasing) there is no legacy. No one really remembers anyone (for long), There have been many great stars who are gone and no one cares. But what lives on are good deeds. If you do a good deed, it reverberates to the end of time. It's the butterfly effect thing.

Shatner might be right....you know? I believe, what he said, is the right thing to do. And as a bonus, we will end up getting the ultimate reward.

In other news, Garnet Trust email from Friday has a significant bump in match donations since the email from Sunday. Long way to go, but going a lot better than I expected.

In other news, Garnet Trust email from Friday has a significant bump in match donations since the email from Sunday. Long way to go, but going a lot better than I expected.

Does it matter if we're spending that money on non P5 players and backup P5 players?

Just to be clear, the great charities, I mentioned above, I give to annually are:

S.t Judes Childrens Cancer Hospital;
the Greenville South Carolina Children Shriners Hospital (for the handicapped child);
UNICEF;
Matthew 25 Ministries in Cincinnati who are active in helping communities hit by disasters;
my local Salvation Army;
my local animal shelter;
a local childrens home that, among other things, provides safety for abused children; and
and a local agency that assists the elderly, poor with food, help with utility bills and transportation.

If you can help a good worthy charity with whatever you can afford, I urge you to do that. Hell, even as little as $25 can help. I don't know about you but, I waste $25 just leaving unnecessary lights on in my home.

When Star Trek actor Lenord Nimoy passed away, his friend and colleague, actor William Shatner did not attend the funeral. Instead he had his 2 daughters represent him. Nimoy's death was sudden. Shatner had previously obligated himself to be a celebrity fundraiser for the Red Cross. Shatner chose to keep his promise to the Red Cross, instead of going to the funeral.

Shatner said (and I'm paraphrasing) there is no legacy. No one really remembers anyone (for long), There have been many great stars who are gone and no one cares. But what lives on are good deeds. If you do a good deed, it reverberates to the end of time. It's the butterfly effect thing.

Shatner might be right....you know? I believe, what he said, is the right thing to do. And as a bonus, we will end up getting the ultimate reward.
Well, that's just like, Shatner's opinion, man. (aka "taking a Shat")

At this point FCS football is what I'll be following. College football is unrecognizable from just a few years ago.
Me too. I played FCS and it’s awesome. Its got best of both worlds, still smallish innocence of HS ball, but great D1/FCS level players and the Saturday college vibe. Week 1 is The Citadel hosting Charleston Southern, already have hotel booked for that one!

Furman vs Montana playoff game was incredible also. Overtime thriller.

FCS is gonna be far more entertaining than the soon to be FBS-NFL 2.0 full of selfish millionaires who care nothing about their team other than a paycheck

Reactions: SCGCock07
FCS is gonna be far more entertaining than the soon to be FBS-NFL 2.0 full of selfish millionaires who care nothing about their team other than a paycheck
Hasn't either North or South Dakota State won 10 of the last 12 FCS championships? Doesn't sound entertaining to me.

Reactions: adg4419
Matt Rhule says that some teams have 6 or 7 $1 million players playing for them. I know that the richer programs are fine with that. But, that is not sustainable and good for the game of college football. I expect there to be changes in order to cut out that cancer.

My son was excited the other day and told me there is a new NCAA football game coming out. The light went off in my head and reminded me that is what started all of this. I remember playing NCAA football when I was in college.

This all could be avoided if they just said from the beginning "If you want to be a STUDENT ATHLETE then you get a scholarship and and education in return for your participation. If you want to be PAID then join the new NFL Minor League"! Oh, the nfl didn't want to put forth the effort nor the funding so College FB has to suffer! Might not be popular, but I'd rather watch a TEAM of guys playing for THEIR SCHOOL and TEAMMATES rather than auditioning for another team to pay more!!

Reactions: bogiecock
This all could be avoided if they just said from the beginning "If you want to be a STUDENT ATHLETE then you get a scholarship and and education in return for your participation. If you want to be PAID then join the new NFL Minor League"! Oh, the nfl didn't want to put forth the effort nor the funding so College FB has to suffer! Might not be popular, but I'd rather watch a TEAM of guys playing for THEIR SCHOOL and TEAMMATES rather than auditioning for another team to pay more!!

Agreed.

But I understand the legality of why the "kids" are able to get NIL.

Matt Rhule says that some teams have 6 or 7 $1 million players playing for them. I know that the richer programs are fine with that. But, that is not sustainable and good for the game of college football. I expect there to be changes in order to cut out that cancer.

This is the free market. Happens all the time in companies too.

This is the free market. Happens all the time in companies too.
Yes and, it does. A look at my handle should tell you I'm a stock market investor and believe in the free market. Are you old enough to remember 1973 and the college football landscape pre-1973? I am. It was not pretty nor competitive for schools like South Carolina. Prior to that, football scholarships that schools could offer was unlimited. The richer a school was, the more scholarships they could offer. Free market capitalism at work. The NCAA schools' Presidents and Athletic Directors pushed through a limit of 105 scholarships per school, in 1973. Additional reductions were made in 1978 to 95 scholarships, and again in 1992 to the current number of 85. If history is any indication, I would be VERY surprised if the NCAA does not have constitutional lawyers working on a plan that would survive any legal challenge. As I previously said, it would be for the good of the college football game, to cut out that cancer, so we don't go back in time to the pre-1973 era. As the old adage goes: History might not repeat itself. But, it can rhyme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT