ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Blanton Portal Transfer Really Disappointing, CSB and Staff Worked Hard Recruiting and Coaching Blanton for 2 Years. Hard Rebuild w/o Retention

Crazy Cock 89

Nov 27, 2011
The Solution is to require Players to sign contracts like the Pros. Give them the money. But i was always taught with money comes responsibility. Performance and commitment by contract. If the player leaves require he/she to pay back the money, because of Breach of contract. So it would be treated like a loan.

With Money comes responsibility/performance/commitment through a signed contract. CSB and Staff are going to Need to discuss a Plan/System/ Process to better Retain Starters/Contributors. Not all of them. But we need to decrease our number of Transfer Portal Deflections. I like CSB and I want him to be successful Coaching USC. I he can't minimize the number of kids leaving yearly it cost him and his Coaches their Jobs,
I know the contract option had already mentioned/discussed by other posters. But I thought it needed to be mentioned again to express my Point of View

Last edited:
Reactions: blsinsc
This is what college athletics has become. Isn’t it just wonderful? Maybe if you would have given more money, he would have stayed. Cash in your children’s college funds, take out a second mortgage on your house, we just can’t let Joe Bob hit the portal.

It's not disappointing to me.

I like seeing players that are taking the risks do what is good for them. It's the American way. Do what works for them.

This is freedom- doing what is best for them personally. Teams are great (but only if the players are the decision makers) but collective good is secondary in our system to the individual. That's what Americans celebrate. No reason college football should be the exception.

This is what college athletics has become. Isn’t it just wonderful? Maybe if you would have given more money, he would have stayed. Cash in your children’s college funds, take out a second mortgage on your house, we just can’t let Joe Bob hit the portal.
Not happening. Watching the Bowl Games, you are watching and listening to many players that are loyal and committed to their Schools and Teammates.

You have been reading to many Social Media responses 😅 😂🤣 by some of these kids like Juice Wells and Jaylen Nichols. This foolishness isn't on me or any of our fans. This is on the Players/Recruits that are demanding they receive a particular Sums of $$$.

Some of these kids are playing for the wrong reasons. This isn't the NFL, or a Semi-Pro League. Not all players are demanding large sums of money.

I actually have enjoyed watching the bowl games and listening to how some of these kids still love the game. How they put their Teammates before their own wants and needs.

Last edited:
Might as well get used to it...........................the horrific NCAA leadership has brought us to this point. College football is about bidding wars and there are no rules! As a former player, it's sad. I have no problem with NIL, I have a problem with no limit NIL! Game will go on, just without me!

Reactions: 92Pony
Large % of college football players are nothing more than hired mercenaries now with zero loyalty. They stop by here for a season if the money is enough. Then it's time to opt out of a bowl game, and get back in the portal, and off to the next school.

Large % of college football players are nothing more than hired mercenaries now with zero loyalty. They stop by here for a season if the money is enough. Then it's time to opt out of a bowl game, and get back in the portal, and off to the next school.
I've always described NFL players as mercenaries (fans consequently have to be loyal to the team as a local business, not the players, but many fans act like the players are actually there because they love their city 🙃). However, those NFL players at least have binding contracts that prevent them from sitting out games for trivial reasons or leaving when they please.

I like seeing players that are taking the risks do what is good for them. It's the American way. Do what works for them.

This is freedom- doing what is best for them personally. Teams are great (but only if the players are the decision makers) but collective good is secondary in our system to the individual. That's what Americans celebrate. No reason college football should be the exception.
Didn't you vow never to give a dime to the Gamecock NIL?

Didn't you vow never to give a dime to the Gamecock NIL?

I don't know. Probably. I have no such plans. Never even thought about it.

But that has nothing to do with what I hope players can earn and applaud them for looking out for themselves.

I hope all the businesses in my town make a lot of money and do well. But I don't shop at all of them.

I don't know. Probably. I have no such plans. Never even thought about it.

But that has nothing to do with what I hope players can earn and applaud them for looking out for themselves.

I hope all the businesses in my town make a lot of money and do well. But I don't shop at all of them.

You've thought about it. You stated it here several times that you would never give a dime.

Question-- You're an alleged champion of equity and unions, yet you seem to have no issue with a system that rewards the biggest wallets. It also typically rewards only certain players on any given team even though all players are instrumental to each other's success.

How do you reconcile the two and were you wearing a "Tax The Rich" shirt when you penned the post above? :)

You've thought about it. You stated it here several times that you would never give a dime.

Question-- You're an alleged champion of equity and unions, yet you seem to have no issue with a system that rewards the biggest wallets. It also typically rewards only certain players on any given team even though all players are instrumental to each other's success.

How do you reconcile the two and were you wearing a "Tax The Rich" shirt when you penned the post above? :)

I've never thought about giving. Wouldn't even know how to do it. I've thought about the collectives and the system.

I'm a fan of unions.

I think players should get big rewards if people are willing to pay them. But they aren't employees. There is no union.

I'm a fan of our progressive taxation system. Players that benefit can certainly pay their share at the applicable rates given their income.

Last edited:

Yeah, but given your ORANGE glow we understand your position! Makes one wonder HOW the Dabo has managed to keep players on the team and even forego the NFL in years past BEFORE NIL!! Hmmm, maybe there are PICTURES from the sheep pen??

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Yeah, but given your ORANGE glow we understand your position! Makes one wonder HOW the Dabo has managed to keep players on the team and even forego the NFL in years past BEFORE NIL!! Hmmm, maybe there are PICTURES from the sheep pen??

That's an odd- really stupid post. Haven't been accused of being a Clemson fan in a long time. LOL

I've never thought about giving. Wouldn't even know how to do it. I've thought about the collectives and the system.

I'm a fan of unions.

I think players should get big rewards if people are willing to pay them. But they aren't employees. There is no union.

I'm a fan of our progressive taxation system. Players that benefit can certainly pay their share at the applicable rates given their income.

Is that not you thinking below? You seem pretty definitive.

If you're a fan of unions, how can you also be a fan of a system that rewards the biggest wallets? It also typically rewards only certain players on any given team even though all players are instrumental to each other's success.

Do you like that some players will make tens of millions while others who are doing the same work and facilizing the big money player careers will get peanuts? That doesn't seem like a very fair system.

I will never contribute a dime to an NIL initiative.

If we win, that's great. If we lose, that's ok by me.

College football isn't that important. It's a sideline- a minor hobby for me. I enjoy watching our games but it's not that big a deal. I enjoy a lot of other hobbies more. It's an excuse to get together with a few close family members (less than 7 people) and eat and watch tv together.

I don't care if others like it or not. Doesn't impact me at all

I've often wondered how Clemson can go from outbidding the NFL to not being able to outbid fellow ACC teams in just a couple years.

Did some big boosters die or something?

Is that not you thinking below? You seem pretty definitive.

If you're a fan of unions, how can you also be a fan of a system that rewards the biggest wallets? It also typically rewards only certain players on any given team even though all players are instrumental to each other's success.

Do you like that some players will make tens of millions while others who are doing the same work and facilizing the big money player careers will get peanuts? That doesn't seem like a very fair system.

1) Nope- never thought about giving. Never had to as I always knew the answer.

2) As I said, I am a fan of unions. There is no union in college football.

3) The system will reward the best players or the players that can work out the best deals. That's great. That's the way it should be. Many players that aren't the best can still benefit- at least more than they ever did before. Some will pocket big money. Some will just do some local commercials for small sums - just like the free market would work for anyone else.

4) The biggest wallets will still have the big wallets. The big wallets have the big wallets now. The big wallets had the big wallets 25 years ago.

5) In a free market, there will always be some people that make a lot more money. That's not new. No reason why college football should be exempt from that reality because Americans really, really love the free market. There is no reason such a great system should exempt college football players.

Some players won't make as much. But schools can now pay players something at least to help them and that's a good thing. If they get better and perform better, they'll have the chance to make more money - again- this is the US system working.

Life isn't fair. Free markets aren't always fair. The economic system in our country has never been fair.

Last edited:
I've often wondered how Clemson can go from outbidding the NFL to not being able to outbid fellow ACC teams in just a couple years.

Did some big boosters die or something?
Taters are Clever and have been since they were caught Cheating during Danny Ford's tenure. Poker Chips, Gift Cards, Money Provided/Given through Mega Churches to players and their families, They didn't get all those great players just because of their Education and Facility improvements. I am not Gullible and Naive to their Craftiness. Dabo doesn't like the portal because it helped teams like FSU quickly Build their Team. Now everybody is giving money legally to players.

Leveled the playing field. They didn't win all those Conference and Naty Titles by being Great Christians and Choir and Altar boys.

Taters are Clever and have been since they were caught Cheating during Danny Ford's tenure. Poker Chips, Gift Cards, Money Provided/Given through Mega Churches to players and their families, They didn't get all those great players just because of their Education and Facility improvements. I am not Gullible and Naive to their Craftiness. Dabo doesn't like the portal because it helped teams like FSU quickly Build their Team. Now everybody is giving money legally to players.

Leveled the playing field. They didn't win all those Conference and Naty Titles by being Great Christians and Choir and Altar boys.

I get that line of thinking, but it only makes sense if Clemson was unique in paying players before NIL. Call me jaded, but i am of the opinion it was common place. So I'm left wondering what changed to take them from a major money player to now a minor one.

These players can FO as far as I am concerned. I will not give them even a dime I pick up off a parking lot. And, I say this humbly and modestly: I can afford to give a lot. There are a lot of great charitable causes that will make this world a better place for generations. Giving these kids money won't. Again, they can FO.
I’d rather give my money to a dog shelter than some arrogant, pompous ass 17-22 year old.

I am retired. So I do not have to concern myself with supporting a young family. To ask a young guy with a family to support to give monies to these 17-22 year-olds.....to me is at best, unthinkable and, at worst, insulting.

Stock, you seem a bit confused. In one post, you're talking about our fans "shooting for mediocrity" and in the next you're talking about never giving a dime to the NIL?

The reason Ole Miss has caught tailwind is because they are buying up players and are doing so very publicly. Their collective very well could be the biggest in the SEC.

Stock, you seem a bit confused. In one post, you're talking about our fans "shooting for mediocrity" and in the next you're talking about never giving a dime to the NIL?

The reason Ole Miss has caught tailwind is because they are buying up players and are doing so very publicly. Their collective very well could be the biggest in the SEC.
No, if the only way to win is for me the fan to pay to buy players, then it won't happen, at least not from me.

Yes, when there is the crutch about the schedule, that is settling for mediocrity.

Kiffin began winning relatively big early at Ole Miss prior to recruiting really kicking in. He led them to number 11 in the nation in only his 2nd year there and has not posted a losing season there. And their high school recruiting has not been extraordinary, averaging number 25 in the most recent recruiting cycles. No confusion at all, as you should be able to logically conclude.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's pretty simple. If you want success now, you are going to have to buy it. And Ole Miss really wants to win. They proved that under Freeze.

Reactions: Ward Jr
That Kiffen sure can coach them though.

I remember someone telling me once that he would be run out of town once he lost that qb from a couple years ago.

Instead, he's succeeded pretty well.

Arrogant, yes. But he can certainly coach.

Reactions: gamecock stock

You forgot to mention what another Wise Poster said, "Kids are going to Ole Miss, because they want to play for Lane Kiffen." It isn't just about the money.

When it comes to recruiting, Gamecock fans need to come to the realization that we have never been and never will be a recruiting powerhouse. When we have had success in football, it is when we had Head Coaches known for their coaching ability (Spurrier, Carlen, Morrison, etc), not their recruiting skill (Scott, Woods, Muschamp). I will never forget listening to Jim Carlen speaking when he said that he will never have great recruiting classes because he would never buy a recruit even one cup of coffee.

Kiffin and Drinkwitz are not turning the world upside down because of their recruiting abilities. Yes, they are bringing in some good players. But no one would confuse them with Jimbo Fisher who annually brought in Top 5 classes.

Last edited:
I am retired. So I do not have to concern myself with supporting a young family. To ask a young guy with a family to support to give monies to these 17-22 year-olds.....to me is at best, unthinkable and, at worst, insulting.
Exactly, I’m close to retirement but I have 3 grandchildren. I have three college funds set up that I contribute to. There’s no way I’d give to some 17-22 year old to play football.

You forgot to mention what another Wise Poster said, "Kids are going to Ole Miss, because they want to play for Lane Kiffen." It isn't just about the money.

According to that talent composite site, we actually ranked a spot higher than Ole miss. For the sake of arguing, call it even.

Then, accepting that, compare the seasons between the two.

NIL may help Ole miss going forward, but it hasn't given them a talent advantage over us to date. They've been ranked lower for the past few years at least.

According to that talent composite site, we actually ranked a spot higher than Ole miss. For the sake of arguing, call it even.

Then, accepting that, compare the seasons between the two.

NIL may help Ole miss going forward, but it hasn't given them a talent advantage over us to date. They've been ranked lower for the past few years at least.
The excuses made for Nepo Baby Beamer never stop. His lacking the guts to make needed changes on his staff is telling. Kiffin can do the X's and O's. But Beamer cannot. He needs a competent staff of coaches who can.

I think it's nuts. Many dozens of better places to invest money. That's why I'd never give money to a player.

I enjoy giving to the Oliver Gospel Mission and if I had any feeling (I never have had an idea to give money to a player) of giving extra dollars to anywhere (outside of my church), my wife and I like to write several checks a year and drop them off at the mission.

I donate each paycheck through my work to 4 charities- which my company matches which is a great deal.

But I'd never give money to athletes for their income. Twenty + years ago I was in the Gamecock Club but when my children were born, I started 529 plans so I stopped the Gamecock Club stuff.

Last edited:
No, if the only way to win is for me the fan to pay to buy players, then it won't happen, at least not from me.

Yes, when there is the crutch about the schedule, that is settling for mediocrity.

Kiffin began winning relatively big early at Ole Miss prior to recruiting really kicking in. He led them to number 11 in the nation in only his 2nd year there and has not posted a losing season there. And their high school recruiting has not been extraordinary, averaging number 25 in the most recent recruiting cycles. No confusion at all, as you should be able to logically conclude.

Kiffin had a good 2nd year just like Beamer.

Below are the teams Ole Miss beat in his 2nd season:

Austin Peay
Tulane
Liberty
Louisville
Vandy
Mississippi State
Arkansas
A&M
Tennessee
LSU

Since that point, it's been the Oxford Buyers Club.

P.S. - You and Lurker123 have almost identical writing styles and viewpoints. Just an observation.

The commentators on these games are normalizing the opt outs. Hey there is so and so on the side line. Yeah he opted out so he can stay fresh and ready for his NFL tryout. Yeah Bob he's done all he can for the school. Wouldn't want him to get hurt out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Robhawk29
Kiffin had a good 2nd year just like Beamer.

Below are the teams Ole Miss beat in his 2nd season:

Austin Peay
Tulane
Liberty
Louisville
Vandy
Mississippi State
Arkansas
A&M
Tennessee
LSU

Since that point, it's been the Oxford Buyers Club.

P.S. - You and Lurker123 have almost identical writing styles and viewpoints. Just an observation.
Kiffin's 2nd Ole Miss team finished just one spot out of the Top 10, much better than Beamer's 2nd USC team. They finished 11th to our 22nd or 23rd. And his 3rd Ole Miss team was competitive, unlike Beamer's sub-500 3rd team. And now there is talk of Ole Miss being a national pre-season TOP 5. And their next season schedule, except for Clemson, is similar to ours. And his recruiting in the high school ranks is nothing to write home about.And it's not just Ole Miss. Missouri is being talked about as being a playoff team next season. And of course, they broke through in Drinks 4th season...either as a Top 10 or close to it team. Heupel inherited a worse situation at UT. He started there the same time that Beamer started here. They are further along than us. The point: it is time for Beamer to make his mark next season, his 4th.

Not sure what your point is regarding Lurker. I could say the same about you and any other poster here.

Reactions: uscwatson21

Kiffin's 2nd Ole Miss team finished just one spot out of the Top 10, much better than Beamer's 2nd USC team. They finished 11th to our 22nd or 23rd. And his 3rd Ole Miss team was competitive, unlike Beamer's sub-500 3rd team. And now there is talk of Ole Miss being a national pre-season TOP 5. And their next season schedule, except for Clemson, is similar to ours. And his recruiting in the high school ranks is nothing to write home about.And it's not just Ole Miss. Missouri is being talked about as being a playoff team next season. And of course, they broke through in Drinks 4th season...either as a Top 10 or close to it team. Heupel inherited a worse situation at UT. He started there the same time that Beamer started here. They are further along than us. The point: it is time for Beamer to make his mark next season, his 4th.

Not sure what your point is regarding Lurker. I could say the same about you and any other poster here.

I'm not sure how to respond to this? Beamer had a tougher 2nd year schedule and performed slightly worse than Kiffin.....OK.

Since then, they've been buying players like FSU and UT or better. Head over to the UF board and look how many posts are decided to Kiffin and Ole Miss's NIL program. They are knotted that Ole Miss's collective is basically double that of UF's. Wonder how it would compare to ours. :)

Let's wait and see what the pre-season strength of schedule is. Ole Miss doesn't play Alabama, Clemson or Texas and their only ranked road game is LSU. We're at Alabama, Oklahoma and Clemson.

Missouri's schedule is probably not in the Top 30....again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tngamecock#

It's this guy's new whine. Anyone who argues with him or Mrs Satterfield are being accused of being the same poster, just signing in under different handles. It makes as much sense as the rest of his garbage posts.

Reactions: uscwatson21

Kiffin's 2nd Ole Miss team finished just one spot out of the Top 10, much better than Beamer's 2nd USC team.

This year he's finishing top 10 too. So TWO seasons at or near the top 10. And with similar levels of talent.

What do you think the reaction would be if Beamer did that? Even once? Doubt the excuses would flow so hard.

It's this guy's new whine. Anyone who argues with him or Mrs Satterfield are being accused of being the same poster, just signing in under different handles. It makes as much sense as the rest of his garbage posts.

As stated - it was an observation and an accurate one. A whine is a poster who won't respond to another because his feelings somehow got hurt in the course of dialogue.

This year he's finishing top 10 too. So TWO seasons at or near the top 10. And with similar levels of talent.

What do you think the reaction would be if Beamer did that? Even once? Doubt the excuses would flow so hard.

Buy the players and run the experiment. Talent trumps all over time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT