ADVERTISEMENT

Henry and Sheppard Officially Out for SEC Tournament

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
Frank Martin said he has not met with either Henry or Sheppard and neither will travel with the team for the SEC Tournament.

Martin had previously said that he would revisit their suspensions before the SEC Tournament.

This is very disappointing to hear, and unfortunately doesn't bode well for their futures with the program. Just my opinion, but it's looking even more doubtful than before that these two players will be a part of the Carolina program going forward.

That's disappointing. We really needed them if we wanted to make a run and get an NIT berth. In tournaments like this you need as many warm bodies as you can get.

I'll have to disagree with you as to their future with the program. Barring something expulsion worthy, they'll both be back next year, and the year after. Shamiek hasn't played enough for us to say conclusively whether or not he's any good. Henry has had a few good games this year and a bunch of mediocre ones, but that still doesn't mean he's no good either. Remember how everyone was dumping on the Lithuanians last year? They turned out to be pretty good players. Let's not jump the gun on Henry. It normally takes forwards/centers a year or two to get up to speed. They're like offensive lineman: vital to success, but they take a couple years to develop.

And anyways, it just doesn't make any sense to me looking at it from the depth angle. Carrera, Chat, and Kacinas all graduate next year. If Henry and Sheppard transfer, that's five bigs leaving the program in two years, maybe six if, God forbid, Blanton doesn't recover. We'd have to devote our entire class next year to just big men, nothing else. We'd basically be starting over completely from scratch at that position. It's better to wait and see if Henry and Sheppard (and hopefully Blanton) turn into anything than to wipe the slate clean.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
That's disappointing. We really needed them if we wanted to make a run and get an NIT berth. In tournaments like this you need as many warm bodies as you can get.

I'll have to disagree with you as to their future with the program. Barring something expulsion worthy, they'll both be back next year, and the year after. Shamiek hasn't played enough for us to say conclusively whether or not he's any good. Henry has had a few good games this year and a bunch of mediocre ones, but that still doesn't mean he's no good either. Remember how everyone was dumping on the Lithuanians last year? They turned out to be pretty good players. Let's not jump the gun on Henry. It normally takes forwards/centers a year or two to get up to speed. They're like offensive lineman: vital to success, but they take a couple years to develop.

And anyways, it just doesn't make any sense to me looking at it from the depth angle. Carrera, Chat, and Kacinas all graduate next year. If Henry and Sheppard transfer, that's five bigs leaving the program in two years, maybe six if, God forbid, Blanton doesn't recover. We'd have to devote our entire class next year to just big men, nothing else. We'd basically be starting over completely from scratch at that position. It's better to wait and see if Henry and Sheppard (and hopefully Blanton) turn into anything than to wipe the slate clean.
I'm not saying they're not good enough to contribute. I'm just saying it doesn't bode well for their futures at USC given the fact that Coach Frank previously said he'd revisit their suspensions before the SEC Tourney rolls around, then the tourney is here and he says he hasn't visited with either player since they were suspended over three weeks ago (both players have not been allowed to engage in team activity). Just my opinion, but considering how small basketball teams are, if these guys were going to be part of the future at USC then I think Coach Frank would've been in contact with them. And seeing how the door was at least cracked open for their return for the SEC tourney, yet now that door is closed, I don't think that's a good sign.

I'm not saying these two are definitely done at USC, but I don't think it looks good.

Based on whatever the severity of their violations is, the reinstatement decision may be out of Frank's hands.

This post was edited on 3/10 11:07 AM by martwing

Originally posted by nikolas22:
Do we know why they were suspended?
The only detail given was that it was for "conduct detrimental to the team." So it could be literally anything.

Just 2 Southern Conference type players, compounded by their failure to follow the rules, that should seek more playing time at a different university.

This post was edited on 3/10 12:48 PM by bosoxcock

I wonder if the roster size for next yr. is reason for possibly not bringing these two back. I think we are expecting more incoming recruits than we have room for next yr. unless we make room for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT