ADVERTISEMENT

Here is what is REALLY happening with University’s

R

Reddfoxx1

Nobody is playing college football This fall, unfortunately
They never were.

They are delaying the announcement until the Universities can collect deposits on tuition and dorms (non-refundable and private agreements). Otherwise, students might delay attending en masse.

College is a giant money suck now. They are hoping this is a one year thing. SEC will be the last domino.

Schools can’t change conferences, even for one year.

Reactions: SmokinStokesBBQ
It would probably have more to do with online classes. Both my kids WANT to be on campus. Maybe not so much in class but on campus. If they came out and said online classes only all the dorm fees etc would be gone. Hell I just made tuition payments today including on campus housing and fraternity fees..

Reactions: Reddfoxx1
I have not been getting my hopes up, so I have not been following. Don't these decisions have to do with amateur status? The discussion of unionizing is scary to the universities. There is a ton of liability. I never really thought it would happen. It's just so stupid that Plan A was to wait until the very end and hope that the virus "washes away".

I have not been getting my hopes up, so I have not been following. Don't these decisions have to do with amateur status? The discussion of unionizing is scary to the universities. There is a ton of liability. I never really thought it would happen. It's just so stupid that Plan A was to wait until the very end and hope that the virus "washes away".
Northwestern tried to unionize in 2014, was shot down by the NLRB. But things have evolved quickly the last six years, and it definitely appears both the amateur status and organizing rights of players are evolving too.

I guess I just can't imagine why that would be a deciding factor.

I don’t think football is a factor for not showing up, but virtual vs in-person learning would definitely make a difference. I think what the OP is saying is that they had to give the appearance of everyone coming back (including letting everyone know football was being played) in order for everyone to come back.

In reality, the schools know they’re going to be sending kids back off campus once the outbreaks at every single school flair up (and they will). In one week, the north Georgia school district that went back with no masks are quarantining almost 900 out of 35,000 students because of exposures. That’s one, three day week. No campus will be able to curb the spread.

Going on record to say that the SEC will play football this fall. Too much money at stake for them not to - both short and long term. Looking forward to revisiting this thread in late September.
I'm with ya!

I don’t think football is a factor for not showing up, but virtual vs in-person learning would definitely make a difference. I think what the OP is saying is that they had to give the appearance of everyone coming back (including letting everyone know football was being played) in order for everyone to come back.

See, I don't think playing football or not made any difference in kids coming back to campus. I don't think parents made decisions to send kids back with football in mind.

So the notion that football was floated out there with no real intention of playing seems absurd to me.

See, I don't think playing football or not made any difference in kids coming back to campus. I don't think parents made decisions to send kids back with football in mind.

So the notion that football was floated out there with no real intention of playing seems absurd to me.

You aren't getting the point. The point is the school making sure everyone gets on campus. If they cancelled football when the school knew they'd have to, then the general student population would know that they will be going virtual at some point next semester for sure and would probably take a semester off until they are back in person (instead of paying full tuition for half a semester online).

By saying that football is going forward, and having those guys in for workouts, it gives the appearance that the school is 100% into on-campus learning. The OP was suggesting that this was the plan and was just a ruse to make sure they had as many students as possible paying for the semester.

You aren't getting the point. The point is the school making sure everyone gets on campus. If they cancelled football when the school knew they'd have to, then the general student population would know that they will be going virtual at some point next semester for sure and would probably take a semester off until they are back in person (instead of paying full tuition for half a semester online).

By saying that football is going forward, and having those guys in for workouts, it gives the appearance that the school is 100% into on-campus learning. The OP was suggesting that this was the plan and was just a ruse to make sure they had as many students as possible paying for the semester.

No, I get that contention, that they wanted kids paying and back on campus. I am saying that I don't think playing football or not would affect students' decisions to sign up for the semester.

So if the ruse would have no impact, it seems a silly idea to go through all the effort.

I think the simplest answer is the truth here. They made (and some are still making) an effort to have a season.

No, I get that contention, that they wanted kids paying and back on campus. I am saying that I don't think playing football or not would affect students' decisions to sign up for the semester.

So if the ruse would have no impact, it seems a silly idea to go through all the effort.

I think the simplest answer is the truth here. They made (and some are still making) an effort to have a season.

It's fine that you'll never get it. Others will.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Going on record to say that the SEC will play football this fall. Too much money at stake for them not to - both short and long term. Looking forward to revisiting this thread in late September.
SEC & ACC will play and collect big TV money. Look for some schools that are in "cancelled conferences" to try to play, even if only a 4-5 game schedule (if allowed to).

It would probably have more to do with online classes. Both my kids WANT to be on campus. Maybe not so much in class but on campus. If they came out and said online classes only all the dorm fees etc would be gone. Hell I just made tuition payments today including on campus housing and fraternity fees..

Agreed - we need to have all of the college kids go back on campus and party for 3 to 4 weeks to ensure everyone gets infected with C-19 and then after 4 weeks, they will have herd immunity on campus. A person that I worked had a diabetic high school kid get C-19 and she just recovered. For most kids (i.e. 99.97%+), the virus may make them feel bad, but most will probably be asymptomatic and recover A-OK - I have been trying to get my older kid to go ahead and get the virus so he can recover. But he believes all of the horror stories - although some of these same kids would have no problem marching down the street protesting and unmasked. And by the way, the C-19 virus particulate even penetrates HEPA filters which are 99.97% efficient to 0.3 micron particles; whereas, the C-19 particulate is supposedly in the 0.07 to 0.09 micron particle size. Some of the particles will get hung up on the filter media, but not all.

Are students actually spending money to move on campus for online classes with no football also?

What a con why would anyone waste that money

How can it be any different that a football player gets the virus versus a regular student getting it?

Nobody is playing college football This fall, unfortunately
They never were.

They are delaying the announcement until the Universities can collect deposits on tuition and dorms (non-refundable and private agreements). Otherwise, students might delay attending en masse.

College is a giant money suck now. They are hoping this is a one year thing. SEC will be the last domino.

Schools can’t change conferences, even for one year.

The numbers are coming down and will continue to do so.

But now the presidents think its time to bow out.

Basically proving your point to some degree. They were not watching the new case numbers, they were watching the tuitions come in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT