ADVERTISEMENT

Herein Lies The Reason That Our Football Ceiling Will Forever be Limited...

Why would you need five years when the answer is very obvious in present day? All five years does is allow deep pocket schools to create a deeper separation and their reputation for success will carry on far beyond any amendment to the system.
Five years was arbitrary. Saying we know all there is to know right now is more arbitrary.

That’ll happen. Degrees for sale!
Yep, kids with rich parents probably cant ask a parent to come buy off the English professor. Most parents probably would be mad at the kid for that.

But a 20 yr old multi millionaire player? His money, his checks? Hey professor, how much you make, $70k a year? How about I give you $100,000 right now, you give me an A, no one has to know.

Even worse, how is a position coach that is making $400,000 going to react to a kid he is coaching making 5x as much? Might be like some of the professional “stars,” those players may do what they want to do, not what the coach wants.

Reactions: uscwatson21
When you finish your book "How To Schmooze America's Largest CFB Donors Even Though They Never Attended Your School" please let us know.
My aren't you the snarky one today.
200w.gif

Reactions: Ward Jr
...at least in the current environment. My brother, known on some Gamecock boards as Spinal Tap, copied this from the Sports Talk board. It tells the awful truth. We cannot compete.

USC offered OG Keyshawn Blackstock (6-5 315) of Coffeyville JC, KS and Covington, GA on November 2nd and immediately became a major player for a player regarded by some as the top interior offensive lineman available in junior college this recruiting season. Blackstock included the Gamecocks in his top 12 and took an official visit the weekend of November 16th.

After the visit, Blackstock spoke highly of Shane Beamer and offensive line coaches Greg Adkins and Lonnie Teasley. He said relationships with the coaches was a big part of his decision. But the Gamecocks did not make his top five which he released earlier this week. He settled on Oregon, Southern Cal, Michigan State, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

NIL opportunities are important to Blackstock in the recruiting process, and according to his father, what USC showed him in that area did not match up with the competition.

“He’s not necessarily all about money. He’s not one of those kids,” Keith Blackstock said earlier in the week before his son released his to five. “You’ve got all these schools offering all these opportunities, and you’ve got South Carolina that’s literally at the bottom of the whole crop when it comes to what they can offer a kid. It kind of sucks, you know. It may be a great school. It ain’t about money, but one injury and you can never play football again. That’s one of the things at South Carolina, they don’t really have opportunities like some of the other schools do. NIL stuff. NIL opportunities.”

Schools have been warned by the NCAA that using NIL as a recruiting tool is forbidden.

“Other people are using that as a recruiting tool,” Keith Blackstock said. “I’m not downing anyone. He did like South Carolina a lot. Other schools are offering opportunities for it and giving you examples. South Carolina just doesn’t have those things. It’s nothing against them. Other schools are using that as a recruiting tool, and me, personally, I don’t think that should be done. Nothing is guaranteed. With any kid, you can’t really guarantee them NIL money, but they just give them examples of people who played their position or who was their size, something that can resemble that kid that gives them some intimate idea. That’s some of the other schools whole selling point. It’s not Keyshawn’s selling point, but when you have a coach that he really likes and then they bring that up, it looks good. But the main thing with Keyshawn though is depth chart. He’s more concerned about a depth chart than anything else. Even if you’re offering him two million, if he doesn’t get to play, what is two-million dollars? But because he is who he is, he knows that football isn’t guaranteed. He knows the chance of going to the NFL is slim, and you want to be compensated. He wants help his mom out. He just wants to be in a position to take care of his family. I told him he shouldn’t have to think like that, but he wants to.”

Keyshawn Blackstock has taken official visits to Illinois, USC and Michigan State. His father said he is going to try to visit Oregon or Oklahoma before making a final decision next week.
On this aspect I actually think the NIL has HELPED us. We haven’t had many decent QBs in 100 years and then we land Rattler immediately. I’m not sure how much of the current turnaround is Beamer and how much is NIL as the two are intertwined.

We may not be the richest state in the country but we’ve always thrown money at Gamecock football proportionally more than other states.

I tend to be optimistic in this regard. Maybe NIL allows us to constantly compete with the powers more than before. It’s not like we were killing it for the past 120 years.

**For the record I don’t love the NIL/Transfer Portal era, but it’s here and we’re not doing bad in it.

Reactions: turncock
On this aspect I actually think the NIL has HELPED us. We haven’t had many decent QBs in 100 years and then we land Rattler immediately. I’m not sure how much of the current turnaround is Beamer and how much is NIL as the two are intertwined.

We may not be the richest state in the country but we’ve always thrown money at Gamecock football proportionally more than other states.

I tend to be optimistic in this regard. Maybe NIL allows us to constantly compete with the powers more than before. It’s not like we were killing it for the past 120 years.

**For the record I don’t love the NIL/Transfer Portal era, but it’s here and we’re not doing bad in it.
Rattler has had two good games for us up to now. Our NIL level won't be good enough. The NIL would need to get to a high level in terms of linemen and linebackers as well. I do think this staff can get us to near-Spurrier levels in terms of optimum wins and losses, but with divisions going away, don't look for an SEC Championship trophy - ever. And programs that top out below the top tier tend to slip eventually. Potential premier prospects lose faith. In the short term, I suppose we could have a monster year and get the 12th playoff spot - but I'm putting that out there as a stretch - to humor people. That's just my projection. If I'm incorrect, it's good.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Rattler has had two good games for us up to now. Our NIL level won't be good enough. The NIL would need to get to a high level in terms of linemen and linebackers as well. I do think this staff can get us to near-Spurrier levels in terms of optimum wins and losses, but with divisions going away, don't look for an SEC Championship trophy - ever. And programs that top out below the top tier tend to slip eventually. Potential premier prospects lose faith. In the short term, I suppose we could have a monster year and get the 12th playoff spot - but I'm putting that out there as a stretch - to humor people. That's just my projection. If I'm incorrect, it's good.
I respect your opinion and enjoy the banter even if there are parts I disagree with.

I think you’re right about an SEC championship being a pipe dream. It’s hard to imagine us being good enough to be better than ALL of those programs at the same time...and that’s no knock. I believe Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy, Miss State, Texas A & M and Ole Miss are likely in the same boat.

This is a reason I push for an expanded playoff. We may never win the SEC, but we have been top 15 caliber several times throughout our history and some in the SEC. There was a year I think we were the best team in the SEC (at least the East), but the schedule did us no favors that season and Georgia benefitted despite beating them head to head.

...at least in the current environment. My brother, known on some Gamecock boards as Spinal Tap, copied this from the Sports Talk board. It tells the awful truth. We cannot compete.

USC offered OG Keyshawn Blackstock (6-5 315) of Coffeyville JC, KS and Covington, GA on November 2nd and immediately became a major player for a player regarded by some as the top interior offensive lineman available in junior college this recruiting season. Blackstock included the Gamecocks in his top 12 and took an official visit the weekend of November 16th.

After the visit, Blackstock spoke highly of Shane Beamer and offensive line coaches Greg Adkins and Lonnie Teasley. He said relationships with the coaches was a big part of his decision. But the Gamecocks did not make his top five which he released earlier this week. He settled on Oregon, Southern Cal, Michigan State, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

NIL opportunities are important to Blackstock in the recruiting process, and according to his father, what USC showed him in that area did not match up with the competition.

“He’s not necessarily all about money. He’s not one of those kids,” Keith Blackstock said earlier in the week before his son released his to five. “You’ve got all these schools offering all these opportunities, and you’ve got South Carolina that’s literally at the bottom of the whole crop when it comes to what they can offer a kid. It kind of sucks, you know. It may be a great school. It ain’t about money, but one injury and you can never play football again. That’s one of the things at South Carolina, they don’t really have opportunities like some of the other schools do. NIL stuff. NIL opportunities.”

Schools have been warned by the NCAA that using NIL as a recruiting tool is forbidden.

“Other people are using that as a recruiting tool,” Keith Blackstock said. “I’m not downing anyone. He did like South Carolina a lot. Other schools are offering opportunities for it and giving you examples. South Carolina just doesn’t have those things. It’s nothing against them. Other schools are using that as a recruiting tool, and me, personally, I don’t think that should be done. Nothing is guaranteed. With any kid, you can’t really guarantee them NIL money, but they just give them examples of people who played their position or who was their size, something that can resemble that kid that gives them some intimate idea. That’s some of the other schools whole selling point. It’s not Keyshawn’s selling point, but when you have a coach that he really likes and then they bring that up, it looks good. But the main thing with Keyshawn though is depth chart. He’s more concerned about a depth chart than anything else. Even if you’re offering him two million, if he doesn’t get to play, what is two-million dollars? But because he is who he is, he knows that football isn’t guaranteed. He knows the chance of going to the NFL is slim, and you want to be compensated. He wants help his mom out. He just wants to be in a position to take care of his family. I told him he shouldn’t have to think like that, but he wants to.”

Keyshawn Blackstock has taken official visits to Illinois, USC and Michigan State. His father said he is going to try to visit Oregon or Oklahoma before making a final decision next week.
Its way more complicated than this one account. Look at the mass exodus at A&M (25 leaving via the portal). No one out spends that group and yet? I believe we are on the right track with a charismatic coach, good assistants, and a family atmosphere. Being so strongly swayed by a NIL pitch a mistake.

Graduation, progressing with athletic skills, fitting in with a good team atmosphere, and for the elite-making it to the NFL is the best pathway. NIL in an out of control process will lead to the A&M scenario.

Its way more complicated than this one account. Look at the mass exodus at A&M (25 leaving via the portal). No one out spends that group and yet? I believe we are on the right track with a charismatic coach, good assistants, and a family atmosphere. Being so strongly swayed by a NIL pitch a mistake.

Graduation, progressing with athletic skills, fitting in with a good team atmosphere, and for the elite-making it to the NFL is the best pathway. NIL in an out of control process will lead to the A&M scenario.
Hey, I like the coach; I like the staff. We'll finish perennially somewhere in the second fourth of a division-less league. Most of our people will like be satisfied, as Iowa fans have mostly been through the years. Our discerning people know we can't reach the absolute ceiling.

Not everyone who uses the NIL liberally will be ruined by it. Those who aren't will be the teams we can look forward to seeing above us. No problem. I'm good with it. Just get us at least to Charlotte, with an Orlando or Tampa thrown in once in awhile for pleasant diversion.

Reactions: uscdoc and turncock

There will definitely be intrateam chaos with different players being paid dramactically different compensation. This is a recipe for disaster.

However, the best recruits and portal players are going to be headed to the larger payouts on a consistent basis no matter what. There's no way they are going to turn down potentially millions a year to play college football while their NFL future remains an unknown.

Also, most of the teams who can produce the largest donor pulls are also the ones who already had the reputation for getting players to the NFL. The NIL system is completely warped and college football is shot unless they find a way to get Jeannie back in the bottle to some degree.

Hey, I like the coach; I like the staff. We'll finish perennially somewhere in the second fourth of a division-less league. Most of our people will like be satisfied, as Iowa fans have mostly been through the years. Our discerning people know we can't reach the absolute ceiling.

Not everyone who uses the NIL liberally will be ruined by it. Those who aren't will be the teams we can look forward to seeing above us. No problem. I'm good with it. Just get us at least to Charlotte, with an Orlando or Tampa thrown in once in awhile for pleasant diversion.
Agree. CFB is now going to be much more like going to a Broadway show than any athletic event. Outside of rare David-Goliath scenerios, teams that win it all will no longer be looked upon as anything other than the biggest shills in the bunch.

King ward spreading the doom as always… such a negative fixed mindset. You dont think there folks working on this problem rn? Also have you noticed we are succeeding despite this?

King ward spreading the doom as always… such a negative fixed mindset. You dont think there folks working on this problem rn? Also have you noticed we are succeeding despite this?
I'll let you know when we are succeeding. If I proclaim it, you know it's true. Right now we have a two-game win streak.

The NCAA should take this NIL crap back to the supreme court and tell them to wake up and overturn their previous decision
That won't be happening. There is another approach that could work which would involve the NCAA prohibiting NIL collectives tied to any school. That would not impede a player's right to seek and find NIL opportunities on his own, even with the help of an agent. Therefore, I believe it would stand up in court.

Reactions: gamecock stock
That won't be happening. There is another approach that could work which would involve the NCAA prohibiting NIL collectives tied to any school. That would not impede a player's right to seek and find NIL opportunities on his own, even with the help of an agent. Therefore, I believe it would stand up in court.
I agree. Don’t have a clue how they would go about it but the NCAA and schools can certainly institute rules that would improve the current situation

Reactions: king ward
The 'have nots" (NIL-poor) in college football need to band together and pressure the NCAA to do something like this. If not, NIL will, if not kill, badly disable college football. I would think that ESPN has a dog in this fight and has a vested interest in college football thriving.

The 'have nots" (NIL-poor) in college football need to band together and pressure the NCAA to do something like this. If not, NIL will, if not kill, badly disable college football. I would think that ESPN has a dog in this fight and has a vested interest in college football thriving.
There are things that can be prohibited by schools that would not violate NIL rights.

The program is, and will be, limited by recruiting prowess unless the conditions around them change. Right now in the SEC Alabama and Georgia are just selecting who they want. Then the vast majority of players are left for the others after not getting either of those two. UT has made serious upgrades in recruiting, and Napier seems to be recruiting well at UF. And if he can recruit just the state of Florida, they will be strong again. Then there is Clemson up the road who show no signs of their recruiting diminishing. And the NIL will take its toll. That is why Dabo hates it so much. And it effects USC. This is a small state. Splitting NIL money between two power 5 programs. Neither can hope to keep up with the Bamas, Georgia's, TAMU, etc. Carolina will be what it has been for the majority of their history. With 12 games these days, USC will usually be a 6-8 ein team just depending on the schedule.and breaks.

The program is, and will be, limited by recruiting prowess unless the conditions around them change. Right now in the SEC Alabama and Georgia are just selecting who they want. Then the vast majority of players are left for the others after not getting either of those two. UT has made serious upgrades in recruiting, and Napier seems to be recruiting well at UF. And if he can recruit just the state of Florida, they will be strong again. Then there is Clemson up the road who show no signs of their recruiting diminishing. And the NIL will take its toll. That is why Dabo hates it so much. And it effects USC. This is a small state. Splitting NIL money between two power 5 programs. Neither can hope to keep up with the Bamas, Georgia's, TAMU, etc. Carolina will be what it has been for the majority of their history. With 12 games these days, USC will usually be a 6-8 ein team just depending on the schedule.and breaks.
Dabo and about a hundred other coaches hate it

We are limited, until we learn how to “stop the run”. Does any defense give up the corner more than we do?

So should we feel bad or something? The Yankees have the highest payroll and best players it seems every year.........they don't win the World Series often. This guy tries to make his son sound noble, then basically says it's about the money (after saying it's not about the money). He'd make a good politician.

If college football goes down the toilet and turns into 6 teams playing for a title each year........so be it. I guess I'm old school wishing college was still a rah rah love your school type place. It appears those days are over. I watch anytime a Gamecock team is playing in whatever sport men or women. I guess there may be a day I care about football the least if it's simply who has the most money. But if SC is playing, I'll be watching.

I always told my kids growing up there will always someone with more, and someone with less so be happy with where you are and help those with less. Even the NFL is smart enough to know everyone suffers if the teams with the most money can buy a championship. They have rules to keep things interesting. So one day it may be the fans of 5-10 teams are the only ones watching and then you'll see a change.
You will be dead and gone when that happens. This kid’s father is not saying just give him money, but if we are not at least speaking of what some players have accumulated in the NLI (like the women’s BB players) then kids who see better opportunities will hit the portal if they are already here or not come due to no communication of this topic.

Why would you need five years when the answer is very obvious in present day? All five years does is allow deep pocket schools to create a deeper separation and their reputation for success will carry on far beyond any amendment to the system.

Which raises a deeper question (Wait-a-minute .... 'raises a deeper question', Am I nuts?) ...

Is Prostitution morally wrong if you make a lot of money doing it?

I think the NIL will drive some smaller schools out of the football business.
I totally agree. Perhaps they may not get out of football all together but rather, form the equivalent of a second NCAA (for teams similar to the Ivy League). No scholarships, no free room & board, you buy your own books. The only freebies being food, lodging & transportation to/from away games and a good meal, AT THE UNIVERSITY, for home games. BUT then we got guys who wanna play for the love of the game, itself.

I, personally, would like to see some academic enforcement. You don't obtain a certain grade point average, this year ... you don't play football next year. .... I do realize Mr R.D. Neck would never go along with that though.

LOL!!! Can you imagine a primadonna washing their own uniforms & jock straps??? Yeah, I know, Mom washed mine for 4 years .... guess I was just spoiled rotten.

Reactions: king ward

They aren't tied to the school now. Completely independent. Schools can't stop what they are doing if they wanted to. NCAA certainly can't either.

There will definitely be intrateam chaos with different players being paid dramactically different compensation. This is a recipe for disaster.

Also, most of the teams who can produce the largest donor pulls are also the ones who already had the reputation for getting players to the NFL. The NIL system is completely warped and college football is shot unless they find a way to get Jeannie back in the bottle to some degree.

Ya know, something that I never even heard mentioned, let alone discussed but, .... now since money is all that matters in CFB, because of the vast wealth of their total alumni base, wouldn't it be a hoot if the Ivy League made some policy changes and became the dominant conference in college football???

Don't laugh or scoff. Did anyone foresee or even consider the implications N.I.L. would have as of today? And what about tomorrow ... when 'dirty' money gets involved? You know it's gonna eventually happen.

Today's starting offensive line is brought to you by, Dewey, Screwem and Howe, Personal Injury Attorneys with a Heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: turncock
I am tired of athletes saying “I got to take care of my family.” When a guy that is making $20 mill leaves to go somewhere to make $30 mill says that he seems small. Now, it’s filtered down to the NIL money. They ought to just go ahead and say “It’s about the money. I want more money.” I could respect that more than the the gonna take care of my family bs. The greatest percentage of us are taking care of our families better than the rich do and we drive trucks, build houses, teach school, sell stuff, farm, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT