ADVERTISEMENT

Hey USC baseball gurus.....

Travel ball. Or at least the fact that so many kids now are playing a single sport year round. Ask any sports medicine or orthopedic surgeon and they will tell you kids need to play 3-4 different sports a year. In my sons school the varsity baseball team is full of kids that play year round (even though the head coach tells them not to). Almost none play football because they are afraid of getting hurt. The problem with baseball is that it is the most asymmetrical sport. A disproportionate amount of work/stress is placed on the throwing arm and shoulder. I had an Orthopedic Dr recently tell me he sees kids who have lost full range of motion in their throwing arm/shoulder because they have overworked that one set of muscles (ex. Internal rotation of the shoulder).

Maybe the kids should swim instead of playing defensive end or some such.

Glad you mentioned parents. They don't get enough of the blame imo. Kid might play on a travel team that plays 2 weekend tournaments a month, yet the same kid will play as a pick up player for someone else the other two weekends. Thanks in large part to a parent thinking Little Johnny needs to pitch more. That imo is the biggest problem of all.
"Little" Johnny would probably do well to shoot hoops or swim laps on those other weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT