ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski in the transfer portal

EqgekUdXMAAQ_Go.jpg

Reactions: crown&cock
Sorry he is going. I really liked him. But in all likelihood had Bentley not been hurt last year, he probably wouldnt have played much last year. And he was unable to beat out Hill for the job this year. The coaches said the reason Hill won the job was simply that he was better. And when the change at QB was made it was to a dual thread guy. Bringing in Ryan really wasn't going to be much of a change over Hill. Good luck to him.

He is a fine young man but not near the talent he was billed to be. He went through two camps here and could not win the job either time. He had more than a fair chance at it but his mechanics were never great, his timing was off with receivers, he was not that athletic and had at best mediocre arm strength. He was pretty accurate on short throws in some games in 2019, and in others he was spraying it all over the field. Any throw attempted beyond about 10-15 yards was a complete prayer. I know why so many fans have come here to gripe about him leaving (to trash the staff that is staying and trying to win here... Odd some show more loyalty to players that quit than coaches who are HERE) but he simply was not good enough to win the starting job on a team that won 5 games over the past two years. I wish him well but he is not an SEC QB.

Unfortunate but not surprised. Wish nothing but the best for him moving forward
Ryan and his family have been nothing but a class act since they came here, and I wish them nothing but the best, wherever he goes. I think what set him back here was the knee injury, and the beating he took his freshman year. If you look at film of him early in the year, and compare it to later in the season you can see the difference; his footwork changed, I would guess because the knee made it painful to step into his throws, and he was often getting hit so often so quickly. Bobo picked it up right away when he saw Ryan throw; it’s one of the first things Bobo said about him, that his footwork wasn’t sound. Basically Ryan did the best he could to adapt to the adversity he faced, and it screwed up his fundamentals enough to make it difficult to correct. Not the kid’s fault at all, but at the beginning of the season, Hill was at least ready to go, and Ryan honestly wasn’t.

By the time that got straightened out, Ryan’s skill set wasn’t enough different from Hill’s to make a difference. Bobo could have played him, but in all likelihood, that would have set Ryan up just to get beat up like he had been before. With receivers that couldn’t stretch the field, defenses soon learned they could just load the box and bring more pressure than the line could block. Playing Ryan at that point wasn’t going to help that, and honestly, it wasn’t going to help his development either (Ryan can’t get away from the rush significantly better than Hill). Once Doty had enough grasp of the offense to play he at least could run away from some of the rush, so that made sense. I don’t think Bobo was playing favorites, or “ruined" Ryan, or “ran him off”. I think he tried to do what he thought was best for the team and for Ryan long term. If that ultimately means that what’s best for Ryan is a fresh start somewhere else, that’s what he needs to do. Let’s just wish Ryan and his family all the best. Their story deserves a happier ending, even if it can’t be here.

At some point during this 2-8 $hit show, Hilinski should have gotten a chance in a game to prove what he could and could not do.

Spare me the Collin Hill/Luke Doty “gives us the best chance to win” crap the last staff (including Bobo) spouted off. Anyone would have beat Vandy and we were 1-9 in the rest. Hilinski should have had the chance to throw more than 6 passes this year.

This. It isn’t that hard to understand unless you’re a blithering idiot.

Starting Hill was fine. What was indefensible was refusing to play RH after everyone could see the meh that was Bobo’s handpicked QB.

That smacked of an agenda. Very Muschampian.

The Bobo effect has been impressive thus far. Lol.

Compared to what
Compared to some of the geniuses here that can't -- or won't -- see how everything that's gone down led to this, it does make me a little prescient I'd say.
Who were the Gamecock fans proclaiming Hilinski would not transfer? Are some fans wearing garnet-colored glasses in regards to coaching hires and feel a need to unconditionally support every decision? Yes. But I can‘t believe anyone who paid attention to this season is surprised by this news.

I’m calling it now that it will snow in Colorado in January so I can also lay claim to being prescient also.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Just great. We’ve officially turned into an all out crap show. Can’t blame him though, I wouldn’t want to be on this train wreck either.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Curious to where he ends up maybe closer back West, I hope its not Colorado State, afraid of the threads that would occur.

Who were the Gamecock fans proclaiming Hilinski would not transfer? Are some fans wearing garnet-colored glasses in regards to coaching hires and feel a need to unconditionally support every decision? Yes. But I can‘t believe anyone who paid attention to this season is surprised by this news.

I’m calling it now that it will snow in Colorado in January so I can also lay claim to being prescient also.

Exactly. I caught heat on here for saying this months ago. I
Curious to where he ends up maybe closer back West, I hope its not Colorado State, afraid of the threads that would occur.

I’ve said all along I predict Miss State

Reactions: Gradstudent
I’ve said all along I predict Miss State

When Ryan committed here, the family moved across the country and one reason in some articles was to avoid the memories of playing in the PAC 10, going to the same stadiums for the parents, etc, seems like playing for Mike Leach would go against that reasoning.

But I dont know anything, just dont want it to be a Hilinski for Hill & Bobo trade with CSU.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said people denied it would happen. I clearly said they were blind as to "how everything that's gone down led to this."

Exactly right. And when they go to the restroom , don’t eat the big white mint! Hilinski went 4-7 injured against the 2nd toughest schedule in the country. SMH
And got beat by Appalachian State, after having a golden opportunity to win it at the end but badly overthrew Edwards while under no pressure. Isn’t that yalls mantra? Lost to appy state?

there’s more than enough people in the know saying there’s more to the Hilinski story than we know.

How is this kid being run off? There was competition every day at practice. He and he alone failed to win the starting job.
Practice is one thing to give the OC a go to. The fact is the team was behind in the second half a bunch and he never gave the guy a chance to see what he could do. This was just blind craziness. The story was I'm playing my guy no matter what. Looking at Hill's play at Colorado St., there was nothing that said he would be a good one.

At some point during this 2-8 $hit show, Hilinski should have gotten a chance in a game to prove what he could and could not do.

Spare me the Collin Hill/Luke Doty “gives us the best chance to win” crap the last staff (including Bobo) spouted off. Anyone would have beat Vandy and we were 1-9 in the rest. Hilinski should have had the chance to throw more than 6 passes this year.

AMEN, AMEN!!!!

It’s not “forever to thee” but “see ya”. I wish the best.

How is this kid being run off? There was competition every day at practice. He and he alone failed to win the starting job.
How many times are you going to post this? You've made your views clear. My view was that unless Hill was much, much, much better than RH, RH should play. Muschamp probably failed when he let Bobo bring Hill with him. He set the table for this debacle.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Muschamp couldn't evaluate offensive talent to save his life.

This kid and family were the very definition of class and dignity. I sincerely hope he catches on somewhere and absolutely crushes it . Muschamp ruined this young mans career just like he did with Bentley . Hopefully he finds great coaching and turns into a superstar. Just kind of sickened by how his situation was handled . It’s very hard to support this team right now .

And no chances down field, when he proved he could do it with speed and accuracy when he was healthy here.

I believe in my heart Hilinski never had a chance once Hill transferred here. Bobo was set on Hill from word "go". I don't know what Hill's statistics were at CSU but he didn't set the world on fire for the Rams, I can tell you that much.
They were in many ways very similar to/slightly better than HIlinski’s over an almost identical number of games played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT