ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski in the transfer portal

He is a fine young man but not near the talent he was billed to be. He went through two camps here and could not win the job either time. He had more than a fair chance at it but his mechanics were never great, his timing was off with receivers, he was not that athletic and had at best mediocre arm strength. He was pretty accurate on short throws in some games in 2019, and in others he was spraying it all over the field. Any throw attempted beyond about 10-15 yards was a complete prayer. I know why so many fans have come here to gripe about him leaving (to trash the staff that is staying and trying to win here... Odd some show more loyalty to players that quit than coaches who are HERE) but he simply was not good enough to win the starting job on a team that won 5 games over the past two years. I wish him well but he is not an SEC QB.
I simply believe he should have gotten more opportunities on a terrible 2-8 team.
I’m not convinced Hill is SEC caliber either

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said people denied it would happen. I clearly said they were blind as to "how everything that's gone down led to this."
Again, congratulations on proclaiming how your “called” something that everyone saw coming, Nostradamus.

Great kid, who got screwed over by Bobo bringing his QB, who should never have started, with him. For all the Bobo sunshine pumpers, there is a reason all of the UGA fans used to call him Coach Booboo. Best wishes to Ryan, a class act who deserved better at USC.

But, there is a huge difference between the SEC and MW and I mean a big difference.

Not to mention Hilinski was a true freshman playing SEC football when he accumulated his statistics.
The differences are incalculable from the perspective of handicapping one vs the other. Different people on different teams playing with different levels of experience with different talent around them and playing in different conferences. You seemed to be implying the stats were relevant, so I told you- they are very similar over an almost identical amount of time. That is what we can measure.

Hill was a failure here. Hilinski could not even beat him or a true freshman out for the starting role. Any implication Bobo had some special relationship with Hill that made him feel a responsibility to start him is BS, as born out by the fact they never took Hill out of a game except during blowouts while WM was here and then Bobo benched him after two quarters when he took over. Hilinski was NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER QBs. It is that simple.

The differences are incalculable from the perspective of handicapping one vs the other. Different people on different teams playing with different levels of experience with different talent around them and playing in different conferences. You seemed to be implying the stats were relevant, so I told you- they are very similar over an almost identical amount of time. That is what we can measure.

Hill was a failure here. Hilinski could not even beat him or a true freshman out for the starting role. Any implication Bobo had some special relationship with Hill that made him feel a responsibility to start him is BS, as born out by the fact they never took Hill out of a game except during blowouts while WM was here and then Bobo benched him after two quarters when he took over. Hilinski was NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER QBs. It is that simple.
Is it that simple? You have a HC that has put three QBs in the NFL all after he was no longer involved with them and an OC/QB coach who picked Jacob Park and a punter over Deshaun Watson. I don’t think it’s that simple at all.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Is it that simple? You have a HC that has put three QBs in the NFL all after he was no longer involved with them and an OC/QB coach who picked Jacob Park and a punter over Deshaun Watson. I don’t think it’s that simple at all.
Well... It is.

Too bad. Hilinski seems to be a good guy. Was sorry to see him not given a chance at all, especially when obvious that the season was going nowhere, and that Hill was average on his best day. I figured they knew he was going in the portal before Muschamp was fired and might have explained why he never even got mop up duty

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Still hard to believe someone with a year experience starting inSEC didn’t deserve more of a chance. I mean the team was terrible and Neither Hill or Doty were lighting it up. Hilinski did do some good things as a freshman

As it’s been said before on here,I think he was in a no win situation as a qb coming in already knowing the system and bye the time mushchamp got fired the new coach tried something different.But i do believe he should’ve got a chance to play more somewhere down the line.

Nope. At this point with closed practices and zero evidence to the contrary you are simply taking the word of two guys with a history of poor QB choices.

It also completely ignores the “competition” and scrimmage narratives.

But, the blissful gonna bleat bleat.

Nope. At this point with closed practices and zero evidence to the contrary you are simply taking the word of two guys with a history of poor QB choices.

No doubt in my mind that Hilinski would’ve been better than Hill this year. But all of these Bobo minions will be proven wrong when Ryan kills it with the right coaching at another program. Let’s revisit this thread in a couple years.

Hill had better receivers at CSU than Hilinski had here. Gallup is playing for the Dallas Cowboys now plus our offensive line is lacking and I'm trying to put it kindly. I don't believe Ryan got a fair shot while at USC. Plus, I don't think Hill or Luke D. will win a single SEC game with the exception of Vandy.

BS.

He is a fine young man but not near the talent he was billed to be. He went through two camps here and could not win the job either time. He had more than a fair chance at it but his mechanics were never great, his timing was off with receivers, he was not that athletic and had at best mediocre arm strength. He was pretty accurate on short throws in some games in 2019, and in others he was spraying it all over the field. Any throw attempted beyond about 10-15 yards was a complete prayer. I know why so many fans have come here to gripe about him leaving (to trash the staff that is staying and trying to win here... Odd some show more loyalty to players that quit than coaches who are HERE) but he simply was not good enough to win the starting job on a team that won 5 games over the past two years. I wish him well but he is not an SEC QB.

He did a jam up job for what he was thrown into .... all on a gimpy leg from having the snot knocked out of him over and over. He had great potential, and for him to get 6 passes this year was laughable. I have high hopes for Doty, but let's be real....we didn't get to see much in 2.5 games so the jury is still out. Bring in a few good receivers and an offensive tackle worth a shit, and I'd take Ryan all day long. Great kid and leader. Your analysis is off base.

Yes, I am taking it at face value because that is all the info we have. I feel that is more reasonable than making a bunch of conspiracies up about it like many have been doing- which is what people are doing by taking a different opinion. Say what you want about Bobo and Muschamp- I don’t personally believe they are just flat LIARS with nefarious intentions hell bent on destroying our program and running off all of our good players. That is kind of the sum of what I have seen intoned (or flat out stated) about these people on our boards recently. That is tinfoil hat nonsense. Muschamp wanted to win, Bobo wants to win. They played the guy they thought was best- to them that was the one with the most experience because it was the conservative move and Muschamp always did the conservative thing when he had input on offense. We know that much from seeing it play out for 5 years- They thought Hill was “better”. Then, after WM was fired they still did not turn to RH because he wasn’t as good as Doty... It is that simple. There is no secret agenda by Bobo to run off Hilinski.

He did a jam up job for what he was thrown into .... all on a gimpy leg from having the snot knocked out of him over and over. He had great potential, and for him to get 6 passes this year was laughable. I have high hopes for Doty, but let's be real....we didn't get to see much in 2.5 games so the jury is still out. Bring in a few good receivers and an offensive tackle worth a shit, and I'd take Ryan all day long. Great kid and leader. Your analysis is off base.

He played well in like... 2/3 of the eleven games he started. If you feel that is a “bang up job”, well OK... I have never seen a QB take a team to 4/11 wins and have the kind of fan loyalty RH had behind him. People make wholesale excuses for his mediocre play, but fast forward to 2020, and all the struggles of an offense with MUCH LESS talent around the QB were the direct fault of Colin Hill?
I am glad everyone thinks he is such a “great guy”. I have not seen him do much that tells me he could be an elite level SEC QB without a ton of improvement. It seems he would rather transfer than try to make those improvements here. Best of luck to him but I don’t understand the way some of you are reacting to our third string QB hitting the portal. It seems some of you have more loyalty to a kid who just quit on us than the players and staff who are here and committed to trying to improve this team.

Yes, I am taking it at face value because that is all the info we have. I feel that is more reasonable than making a bunch of conspiracies up about it like many have been doing- which is what people are doing by taking a different opinion. Say what you want about Bobo and Muschamp- I don’t personally believe they are just flat LIARS with nefarious intentions hell bent on destroying our program and running off all of our good players. That is kind of the sum of what I have seen intoned (or flat out stated) about these people on our boards recently. That is tinfoil hat nonsense. Muschamp wanted to win, Bobo wants to win. They played the guy they thought was best- to them that was the one with the most experience because it was the conservative move and Muschamp always did the conservative thing when he had input on offense. We know that much from seeing it play out for 5 years- They thought Hill was “better”. Then, after WM was fired they still did not turn to RH because he wasn’t as good as Doty... It is that simple. There is no secret agenda by Bobo to run off Hilinski.
Incompetence isn’t always intentional.

He played well in like... 2/3 of the eleven games he started. If you feel that is a “bang up job”, well OK... I have never seen a QB take a team to 4/11 wins and have the kind of fan loyalty RH had behind him. People make wholesale excuses for his mediocre play, but fast forward to 2020, and all the struggles of an offense with MUCH LESS talent around the QB were the direct fault of Colin Hill?
I am glad everyone thinks he is such a “great guy”. I have not seen him do much that tells me he could be an elite level SEC QB without a ton of improvement. It seems he would rather transfer than try to make those improvements here. Best of luck to him but I don’t understand the way some of you are reacting to our third string QB hitting the portal. It seems some of you have more loyalty to a kid who just quit on us than the players and staff who are here and committed to trying to improve this team.

I don’t support quitting on your team, when I played every game was a privilege. Ryan did a good job last year and showed promise. I like Hill but his lack of mobility is worse than Ryan’s on a gimpy leg. The main point I have is as poorly as the offense was doing in many games, changing QBs would’ve been a good idea.

I don’t support quitting on your team, when I played every game was a privilege. Ryan did a good job last year and showed promise. I like Hill but his lack of mobility is worse than Ryan’s on a gimpy leg. The main point I have is as poorly as the offense was doing in many games, changing QBs would’ve been a good idea.
That is fair. I wish they had played him a bit more too in the middle of the season when it was clear we had “lost it” on offense, but the move to a mobile guy/a “different type of player”... made the most sense at that point.

Reactions: tngamecock#
That is fair. I wish they had played him a bit more too in the middle of the season when it was clear we had “lost it” on offense, but the move to a mobile guy/a “different type of player”... made the most sense at that point.
A bit more? They didn't play him at all. When a coach won't give you reps when you're being beat down, you know something is up.

Ryan had a much quicker release the Hill, I don't buy the whole argument, we didn't play Ryan because of the O Line struggles. Obviously Bobo made a decision on Hill that a lot of us don't or didn't agree with, but he did this at CSU as well, and it failed here, I believe Bobo is fairly stubborn just like WM was.

Their was really no reason for Hill to get another snap after Texas A&M, and start Missouri. That Hill performance/tape was awful.

I think Bobo didn't want to play Ryan because if it worked and team looked better, he would of looked even more incompetent and definitely not have been here in 2021.

Other programs go through the growing pains of starting a true freshman qb and then keep playing him to get a return on the investment, we didn't do that by not playing Ryan much in 2020 in a lost season and I think that is what frustrates a certain part of our fan base, including me.

But Ryan is gone and we never got to see him much in 2020 and Bobo is here and it is what it is.

I wish Ryan and the family well in the future.

Last edited:
Two glaring things working for the theory of perceived or real bias of Bobo against Hillinski:

1. The thank you neglects Bobos name. Mentions the two head coaches but not position coach - a bit odd.

2. The announcement only came after Bobo officially retained, before that he had been working out with a former gamecock in Garcia, was front and center when Beamer first addressed the team, and tweeter Gauthier that he was ready to get to work with him.

With the rumors of him not putting in the work which may or might not be true can be a case of causation in which Hillinski felt the bias (perceived or real) in Hill being favored regardless of his work and ability and then checked out. But I feel the two facts above show that there is some sort of issue between RH and Bobo

Two glaring things working for the theory of perceived or real bias of Bobo against Hillinski:

1. The thank you neglects Bobos name. Mentions the two head coaches but not position coach - a bit odd.

2. The announcement only came after Bobo officially retained, before that he had been working out with a former gamecock in Garcia, was front and center when Beamer first addressed the team, and tweeter Gauthier that he was ready to get to work with him.

With the rumors of him not putting in the work which may or might not be true can be a case of causation in which Hillinski felt the bias (perceived or real) in Hill being favored regardless of his work and ability and then checked out. But I feel the two facts above show that there is some sort of issue between RH and Bobo
Damn, best post you've made. Very good points. Anyone who argues this is willfully blind. I await lifer lol

Reactions: Gradstudent
Sorry he is going. I really liked him. But in all likelihood had Bentley not been hurt last year, he probably wouldnt have played much last year. And he was unable to beat out Hill for the job this year. The coaches said the reason Hill won the job was simply that he was better. And when the change at QB was made it was to a dual thread guy. Bringing in Ryan really wasn't going to be much of a change over Hill. Good luck to him.
Paton Mannig wouldn't have beat out Bobo's boy Hill.

Reactions: MT4125 and Dizzy01
Wow, a freshman starting in the SEC playing injured most of the season has about the same stats as a 5th year starter that "knows" the system. Man that just stinks he didn't get playing time. Can ya say bias?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT