ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski

Cocky_11

Jan 31, 2014
If he does pull the upset Saturday, will he be the youngest starting QB ever in a South Carolina uniform to do so to a Top 5 team?

Reactions: brianlafe
It will be the third game of his true freshmen season. I can't think of an example of a true freshmen leading USC to a win over a top 25 team that early in a season, much less a top 5.

If memory serves, Carolina only has five wins in program history over top 5 teams:

1981 - 3rd ranked UNC (Gordon Beckham - junior)
2009 - 4th ranked Ole Miss (Stephen Garcia - sophomore)
2010 - 1 ranked Alabama (Stephen Garcia - junior)
2012 - 5th ranked Georgia (Connor Shaw - junior)
2013 - 5th ranked Missouri (Connor Shaw - senior)

...will get hit HARD on Saturday.

Don't be fooled by any of Alabama's comments. They are very well-coached by Saban on not giving opposing teams bulletin board material. They are full well planning to abuse our OL and eat Ryan's lunch.

...will get hit HARD on Saturday.

Don't be fooled by any of Alabama's comments. They are very well-coached by Saban on not giving opposing teams bulletin board material. They are full well planning to abuse our OL and eat Ryan's lunch.
I'm okay if they eat Ryan's lunch, I suppose. I just don't want them to eat Ryan for lunch. We have 9 more games to play after Saturday.

Reactions: HI Cock and Brace1
It will be the third game of his true freshmen season. I can't think of an example of a true freshmen leading USC to a win over a top 25 team that early in a season, much less a top 5.

If memory serves, Carolina only has five wins in program history over top 5 teams:

Closest thing I can think of was Tanneyhill beating No. 18(?) in his first or second career start. That was in the second half of the season though.

Reactions: GandBinNC
The will be able to write their running game against us for sure. Still not convinced we are being taught right on Dline.

Reactions: Brace1
Nothing wrong with hope.
giphy.gif

Dylan Thompson started the 2013 game at Mizzou so he officially gets credit for that one. As we know, Thompson came in and rescued several games Connor started, so it’s all good.

Closest thing I can think of was Tanneyhill beating No. 18(?) in his first or second career start. That was in the second half of the season though.

Great memory - per Wiki, Mississippi State was ranked #15 at the time. You're right - that was Tannyhill's first starting nod, following an 0-5 start to the season and the infamous "players volt" the week leading up to the MSU game.

I was at that game, as well as the Tennessee game two weeks later (Hank Campbell's great tackle to stop a UT 2 point conversion and preserve the win), as well as the great win at Clemson to end the season. Carolina finished winning 5 of their last 6, narrowly losing a hard-fought 14-9 game to Florida in the Swamp for their only loss during that stretch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT