ADVERTISEMENT

How committed to running the ball do you want us to be?

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
How committed to the running game do you want Carolina to be tomorrow?
UGA is tough to run on as we all know. There will be a lot of no gain runs.
How long do you want Coach McClendon to take the beating trying to establish the run? 1 quarter? All game?
This question is for the non experts. The real experts will tell us all after the game what we shoulda done.

Reactions: tngamecock#
We have to threaten them deep before we can run it. All opponents know Muschamp prefers to dink and dunk. So dbs squat at 12 yards. Coincidentally that has every defender in the box to stop the run. If we are smart enough(big if) to Chuck a few deep early we will find room to run it.

We have to threaten them deep before we can run it. All opponents know Muschamp prefers to dink and dunk. So dbs squat at 12 yards. Coincidentally that has every defender in the box to stop the run. If we are smart enough(big if) to Chuck a few deep early we will find room to run it.
If we were to connect on a couple deep passes early on best believe the draw play will be there, followed by some play action to underneath routes with a few screens mixed in there.

Reactions: PC31
that is way off, they actually like to go deep often and defenses are forcing us to dink and dunk by giving up the short passes

To many dogs on our sideline. Makes this game feel awkward anymore.

We all know their offensive line outweighs our D line.

But the same can be said about our offensive line. I expect to see some toughness and productive runs. We can’t use the too small excuse on offense.

If we don't commit turnovers I predict it will be closer than many predict. If that happens the pressure turns on UGA and who knows. Our turnovers and penalties have been our own worst enemy. If we play with a consistent game plan and no turnovers, I will be happy. That will show progress and what is needed in the other games such as UF, UT, Vandy and App St.

It depends on how we are doing running the bal . If it is not effective, then we have to use it in the play action. Maybe even quick passes to the back to help the running game.

We were able to run on Bama. If we capitalize on a strong showing running the ball by going over the top, I'll feel pretty good.
Bama’s defense was hesitant against our run game, because they didn’t know what we would do in the passing game, because we had a new QB at the helm. Also Alabama’s defense is not that strong this year they’re playing a lot of freshman who’s learning on the fly. Still it was a good showing against a strong defensive opponent!

We need to stick to the run game for 4 quarters but it has to be balanced. We need to throw the ball “vertically” not side to side if we’re gonna have any success against that Bulldog defense. If we come out throwing those swing passes on the first drive, then we’ve already lost because Georgia will shut that down along with our running game! I agree with that we need to go downfield early, but not with the deep passes, I’m thinking the 7-15 yard routes and hit them in between with the run. Then take your deep shots because the defense will know, it has to defend the whole field.

I think “committed to the run” goes right up there with “pin their ears back”.

I think about some of Spurrier’s games where he stuck with the run - it was because Lattimore was dragging 5 defenders into the end zone.

If the run is not working, and you are going 3-and-out again and again, you are an idiot for being committed to the run. If your running back is gashing for 8-12 yards at a clip, you are a genius for being committed to the run.

As for this particular pre-game plan, a previous poster noted that with our current team, running will require at least trying to throw long. I agree completely.

Bama’s defense was hesitant against our run game, because they didn’t know what we would do in the passing game, because we had a new QB at the helm. Also Alabama’s defense is not that strong this year they’re playing a lot of freshman who’s learning on the fly. Still it was a good showing against a strong defensive opponent!

If we can run, convert in Red zone and get a few TO's we win.
Failure in any of above and we lose

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT