ADVERTISEMENT

How did the basketball team get banged up already?

QuakeandShake

Oct 18, 2018
Frank Martin said if we knew anything about basketball as fans than we could undetstand losing to Augusta. Also the team is banged up. How? Asking for a friend

I agree with Frank on this one. Our fan base has its share of self proclaimed experts who are completely ignorant.

I agree with Frank on this one. Our fan base has its share of self proclaimed experts who are completely ignorant.
Well to be fair, we are picked 11th in our league by the actual experts. There is VERY little reason to be hopeful about this season. And our out of conference schedule? Ambitious is a nice word.

Reactions: ddw1263
Well to be fair, we are picked 11th in our league by the actual experts. There is VERY little reason to be hopeful about this season. And our out of conference schedule? Ambitious is a nice word.
No argument on these points. We weren't good last year, didn't add any obvious talent to change the pre-season perception, and our OOC schedule probably has 5 expected losses.
But, my point directed at the OP stands. If someone can't understand how several players can get injured during pre-season practices, then someone doesn't understand how competitive sports work. Practice/intra-squad scrimmages can be physical. Unfortunate things can happen (sprained ankles, broken fingers, etc), and players bodies can break down at times.

No argument on these points. We weren't good last year, didn't add any obvious talent to change the pre-season perception, and our OOC schedule probably has 5 expected losses.
But, my point directed at the OP stands. If someone can't understand how several players can get injured during pre-season practices, then someone doesn't understand how competitive sports work. Practice/intra-squad scrimmages can be physical. Unfortunate things can happen (sprained ankles, broken fingers, etc), and players bodies can break down at times.
I gotcha man... I'm not being chippy... I just get super frustrated at how we are the only program in the history of history to make it to a Final Four and get NOTHING out of it. Nothing.

Reactions: ConKreteCock
Even more concerning than injuries is the fact that the scorer we recruited (Jermaine Couisnard) is still being held out. As all of us Carolina fans know, we always catch the raw end of "academic issues," so I'm just mentally preparing myself for him not playing at all this year.

Ankle injury from exhibition game. Knee surgery that player is 100% yet. Not sure when the other ankle injury occurred.

I gotcha man... I'm not being chippy... I just get super frustrated at how we are the only program in the history of history to make it to a Final Four and get NOTHING out of it. Nothing.
Hey, everything you said was correct. It was beyond frustrating to see the team build to where it was, only to watch it take a HUGE (probably a 3-year) step backwards.

And I'll agree with the other point Frank made (regarding the loss to Augusta.) Sure, no one should be thrilled with what they saw. But, Frank clearly let/forced that loss to happen. Coaches get ticked off at their teams, sometimes. Players need to learn the consequences for not doing what they are coached to do. So, if Frank wants to send a message by benching players, not calling time-outs or plays in a meaningless pre-season scrimmage, then so be it. It meant nothing.

Hey, everything you said was correct. It was beyond frustrating to see the team build to where it was, only to watch it take a HUGE (probably a 3-year) step backwards.

And I'll agree with the other point Frank made (regarding the loss to Augusta.) Sure, no one should be thrilled with what they saw. But, Frank clearly let/forced that loss to happen. Coaches get ticked off at their teams, sometimes. Players need to learn the consequences for not doing what they are coached to do. So, if Frank wants to send a message by benching players, not calling time-outs or plays in a meaningless pre-season scrimmage, then so be it. It meant nothing.
I wouldn't be feeling any better if we'd beaten Augusta by 15.

Reactions: Jon Snow
Frank Martin said if we knew anything about basketball as fans than we could undetstand losing to Augusta. Also the team is banged up. How? Asking for a friend
giphy.gif

Last edited:
A really, really strong team usually beats a D2 team by doubling the opponens score.

HOOSIERS!

I know the team can be banged up through physical practices.

Blaming the fans for not understanding losing to Augusta is pure BS. If you check my posts I have been a Martin supporter. This is just inexcusable and blaming fans (if this is true) is an even worse look

Reactions: rogue cock
Martin's in your face style of coaching isn't for everyone, which I believe is one reason we can't seem to land top notch talent. Under armor is NOT A BASKETBALL BRAND, which hurts with AAU (street agent coaches)! NIKE and ADIDAS have that market cornered and pay lots of money for signatures on LOI's on signing day. Just my .02 worth on why USC hasn't been able to capitalize on the Final Four appearance. Martin is a great defensive coach, but his recruiting success has not been so successful???

Sure stings knowing what we failed to capitalize on with 33-6 AND now a Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT