ADVERTISEMENT

How did we possibly win wearing all black?

Mar 14, 2007
How did we overcome it? People on this board are utterly convinced we can only win wearing certain uniform combos. I am wondering how it happened yet AGAIN.

Next year when we announce we are wearing black the same posts will pop up saying we NEVER WIN IN BLACK.

Because it wasn't a true blackout where much is made of it including the fans, marketing it, etc.

Now, you wanna talk impact of unis only? Camo.

How did we overcome it? People on this board are utterly convinced we can only win wearing certain uniform combos. I am wondering how it happened yet AGAIN.

Next year when we announce we are wearing black the same posts will pop up saying we NEVER WIN IN BLACK.

I've been one of those, and I've been wrong. We have won a couple in Black this year.

Reactions: Falcon2323
I think the only times we have won wearing all black is against Tennessee this season and back in 2016. Perhaps this is how the Gods want it? If so, then we must always wear all black only against Tennessee at home in the future. Against teams other than the Vols, we must NEVER wear all black!!!

GARNET is our PRIMARY color; now and FOREVER!

So says 67Gamecock. The Primary colors are blue, red and yellow. However our school colors are garnet AND black. Neither of them are primary or secondary. You may prefer garnet and that is fine. I prefer black and that is fine. We have had this disagreement before but just because you say something, even in all caps, don't make it so.

Reactions: Carolina4

We shouldn’t wear all black in 95-100 degree weather

I think the only times we have won wearing all black is against Tennessee this season and back in 2016. Perhaps this is how the Gods want it? If so, then we must always wear all black only against Tennessee at home in the future. Against teams other than the Vols, we must NEVER wear all black!!!

Yeah, because when we wear all garnet we can even beat Georgia.... oh wait never mind. Look if you don't like it that is your opinion. I do like it and that is mine. Using words like MUST and NEVER just really bugs me.

While I agree, it might be because many of us remember the fever pitch of being up 21-0 vs the Gators in a blackout, then getting curb stomped.

Which most often has to do with the level of competition we are playing and the attempt to "hype" up the players and crowd. If we were to have had a "black out" for the Costal Carolina type games then the frequency of winning in black would go way up.

*7-0. 21-0 was the year before in the Swamp. Guess you don't remember that well :D

Seriously...how could anyone think we were up 21-0 in that beating we took during the blackout. Opening drive was great. Awful after that.

Because it was UT. Would've won by 30 if we had worn a different combo.

Only 2-1 vs TN wearing all black. 2014 we wore all black and got outscored.

Goes back to 1983 - Joe Mo's first season. We wore all-black vs. Clemson. Lost an ugly one. The next colossal all-black melt-down was the Holtz-era UF embarrassment. I think it's happened vs. UGA as well somewhere along the way. All-black has historically not gone well.

But with the week-to-week uniform changes in the Muschamp era, all-black isn't quite the event it used to be. Its a good look, IMO. Especially with the matte black helmets. That said, I would prefer not to see all-black in a "big-time" game.

Technically speaking, the 2014 game was not 100% all black because we wore our white helmets. When we mention all black or blackout, it means black helmets, jerseys, and pants.

Caveat to that... prior to the Muschamp era, there were no black helmets. So, "black-out" games of prior eras did not include black helmets.*

* Holtz's final season, 2004, USC did switch to black helmets for the entire season. Also, during the Dietzel era, seniors wore black helmets, but his teams never wore black jerseys or britches.

Reactions: NYC_Gamecock
I did some research. Turns out we've lost wearing Garnet as well. And yes, I'm as shocked as you all.
4a57ab11429bcbdc26c060bd552d166f.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT