ADVERTISEMENT

How does a team build qb depth in today's game?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Here are the SEC starting quarterbacks right now:

Bentley -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Fromm -- Freshman
Guarantano -- Freshman
Franks -- RS Freshman
Locke -- Junior, started as freshman
Shurmur -- Junior, started as freshman

Hurts -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Patterson -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Stidham -- Sophomore, started as freshman (Baylor)
Mond -- Freshman
Fitzgerald -- Junior, started as sophomore

Johnson, Allen and Etling are the only senior quarterbacks.

Is a starting quarterback who stays in a program and waits his turn a thing of the past? If so, how can a team build qb depth?

Reactions: Jpcooper
Here are the SEC starting quarterbacks right now:

Bentley -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Fromm -- Freshman
Guarantano -- Freshman
Franks -- RS Freshman
Locke -- Junior, started as freshman
Shurmur -- Junior, started as freshman

Hurts -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Patterson -- Sophomore, started as freshman
Stidham -- Sophomore, started as freshman (Baylor)
Mond -- Freshman
Fitzgerald -- Junior, started as sophomore

Johnson, Allen and Etling are the only senior quarterbacks.

Is a starting quarterback who stays in a program and waits his turn a thing of the past? If so, how can a team build qb depth?

get a big enough lead n the game & put the 2nd qb in.:)

I don't know if this exactly answers your question or not, but the first thing that comes to my mind is; you gotta blow out teams that are inferior to you. You blow out teams and give your backups (QBs included) into the game. (I thought we should have gotten Scar is earlier than we did against Ark - and should have let him run some meaningful plays).
get a big enough lead n the game & put the 2nd qb in.:)
^This.

I don't know if this exactly answers your question or not, but the first thing that comes to my mind is; you gotta blow out teams that are inferior to you. You blow out teams and give your backups (QBs included) into the game. (I thought we should have gotten Scar is earlier than we did against Ark - and should have let him run some meaningful plays).

^This.

Alabama plays a lot of blowouts and they have a true freshman backup. Cooper Bateman, the kid who's been there forever, doesn't get any minutes. If Saban didn't play the true freshman, he knows the kid would transfer. So do you see the cycle?

The days of a quarterback like Dylan Thompson appear over, at major schools anyway. The only way to recruit 4 and 5 star quarterbacks is promise them early playing time.

As far as Scar goes, I wish he had some playing time. With Joyner coming in next year, I bet Boom will feel pressured to give Joyner backup reps. It's probably the wise move for the future. So I hope we blow out Wofford or Scar might never throw a pass while in a USC uniform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT