ADVERTISEMENT

How is the lawsuit going? Staley vs Missouri AD

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
How is the lawsuit going? Dawn Staley vs Missouri AD, Jim Sterk. Anyone hear anything? I hope she doesn't drop it. I look forward to his deposition. I see it was filed in Richland County. That is in South Carolina. It may be hard to get him served with process if he doesn't ever come back to your state. Using the long arm statute may not work, although that is what she is trying. I hear that the court has ruled that the lawsuit is subject to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), which requires the parties involved to meet with a neutral mediator within 210 days, in this case Sept. 20. I assume there is diversity of jurisdiction that might allow removal to federal court? I would do that if I were his lawyer.

Don't know much about the law, but as wrong as Sterk was, will Staley be able to prove that this caused some kind of harm to her or her program?

How is the lawsuit going? Dawn Staley vs Missouri AD, Jim Sterk. Anyone hear anything? I hope she doesn't drop it. I look forward to his deposition. I see it was filed in Richland County. That is in South Carolina. It may be hard to get him served with process if he doesn't ever come back to your state. Using the long arm statute may not work, although that is what she is trying. I hear that the court has ruled that the lawsuit is subject to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), which requires the parties involved to meet with a neutral mediator within 210 days, in this case Sept. 20. I assume there is diversity of jurisdiction that might allow removal to federal court? I would do that if I were his lawyer.
It's not necessarily a ruling for this case in particular. A lot of the counties in SC are under mandatory ADR requirements for both civil and domestic relations matters, Richland being one of them. I get ADR notices on all my cases.

Just a few weeks ago, I testified in a trial involving a civil case for which I was deposed in 2013. These things move slowly.

Don't know much about the law, but as wrong as Sterk was, will Staley be able to prove that this caused some kind of harm to her or her program?

She may not get substantial damages, it can't have hurt the BB program or her reputation very much. But she should get at least nominal damages, prove a point. As someone else pointed out, if one side wants to drag a case out, delay it, they often can. Will Staley still be interested in pursuing this in 2023?

Reactions: dallascock
Her attorney was smart for suing for less than $75,000 in damages, thereby keeping it out of federal court. ADR is mandatory, except in foreclosure actions.

She may not get substantial damages, it can't have hurt the BB program or her reputation very much. But she should get at least nominal damages, prove a point. As someone else pointed out, if one side wants to drag a case out, delay it, they often can. Will Staley still be interested in pursuing this in 2023?

I don't think she's after any monetary damages. She just wants to drag his name through the mud and force him to publicly restract his comments and apologize. If it does get dragged out, I wouldn't be surprised if his University didn't lean on him to get it over with and settle.

He directly stated that Coach Staley willfully fostered an environment of racial animus... She doesn't have to prove it.. The idiot is on tape... The defamation and damage of such a direct charge from an AD is all too obvious... She doesn't want money from that jerk... She wants a retraction and apology... That's what any decent human being would have offered immediately after the emotional misspeaks

I am sure Sterk's lawyers will try to move it to the venue from which he stated his bullsh!t. Not sure if that flies but if it gets heard in Richland County who would not side with her?

I am sure Sterk's lawyers will try to move it to the venue from which he stated his bullsh!t. Not sure if that flies but if it gets heard in Richland County who would not side with her?
Well, I for one am totally and completely impartial. If I were put on the jury, I would wait until I heard the entire case with all the facts first, and then I would voted in favor of Dawn. But, then again, not everybody is as fair and impartial as me.

Well, I for one am totally and completely impartial. If I were put on the jury, I would wait until I heard the entire case with all the facts first, and then I would voted in favor of Dawn. But, then again, not everybody is as fair and impartial as me.

I see what you did there...

This boston red sox prick is always negative on anything and everything on any issue effecting our program

you're not a very bright person..... you just gaze off into the distance with that blank stare on your face.

Paying attention isn't your big attribute

Last edited:
He directly stated that Coach Staley willfully fostered an environment of racial animus... She doesn't have to prove it.. The idiot is on tape... The defamation and damage of such a direct charge from an AD is all too obvious... She doesn't want money from that jerk... She wants a retraction and apology... That's what any decent human being would have offered immediately after the emotional misspeaks

I don't think a court can order a retraction or apology. It can award damages. To prove damages, she has to show injury. It isn't enough to say damages are obvious, an amount has to be shown.

Reactions: rogue cock
Her attorney was smart for suing for less than $75,000 in damages, thereby keeping it out of federal court.

I didn't catch that diversity jurisdiction and removal to federal court weren't possible because under $75,000. That was smart on her attorney's part.

I didn't know you could sue for having your feeling hurt......Lol, a philly kid suing over some words

Last edited:
I didn't know you could sue for having your feeling hurt......Lol, a philly kid suing over some words
At its oddest, weirdest, and most base core, this is an old white guy race baiting a younger African American woman to put her in her place. Her response is the polite Philly way of saying, "step out back and say that to my face, asshole!"

At its oddest, weirdest, and most base core, this is an old white guy race baiting a younger African American woman to put her in her place. Her response is the polite Philly way of saying, "step out back and say that to my face, asshole!"

not sure if i should cry or laugh

I always find internet proclamations of toughness hilarious especially when denigrating somebody who is willing to stick up for themselves in reality.

my feeling dont get hurt and sue someone when someone says something about me...see

my feeling dont get hurt when someone says something about me...see
you make my point for me! Of course it doesn't hurt you. You are anonymous avataron on a chat room that suffers no consequences for his words or actions. Let's see how glib you would be if you were slandered in the national media.

Reactions: DarkCock
you make my point for me! Of course it doesn't hurt you. You are anonymous avataron on a chat room that suffers no consequences for his words or actions. Let's see how glib you would be if you were slandered in the national media.

give me a break!!! candy ass society we live in today

Ironic that you call people candy asses, when they put themselves on the line and say "I ain't taking shit from you!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT