ADVERTISEMENT

How To Fix the Gamecock Football Program

So you're going from Rome is burning to let's build Mayberry. I like Mayberry, but it could compete with Byrnes, not Georgia.

So you're going from Rome is burning to let's build Mayberry. I like Mayberry, but it could compete with Byrnes, not Georgia.

Don't think it's realistic for South Carolina to be at Georgia's level in the next 1-2 years. Have to start somewhere. Thanks for reading!

Thanks, but that was a couple minutes of my life wasted that I can never get back. I think I have read the last of your "brilliant" commentaries. When you earlier complained about the color of the uniforms I didn't think it could get any worse. Apparently I was wrong. Perhaps you should consider another line of work. Football commentary just isn't your specialty.

Thanks, but that was a couple minutes of my life wasted that I can never get back. I think I have read the last of your "brilliant" commentaries. When you earlier complained about the color of the uniforms I didn't think it could get any worse. Apparently I was wrong. Perhaps you should consider another line of work. Football commentary just isn't your specialty.

Again, not sure why you're so upset over these things. I don't think anyone said this piece was "brilliant," but I personally don't think it's awful (could be wrong, have been before). Once again, the uniform thing comment was simply me stating personal preference and I am really confused as to why that caused you so much angst. As always, appreciate you reading!

I disagree with the article.
First off, the real issue on the recent decline is three-fold in my opinion:
1. Spurrier made a well-documented mistake with the initial comments about how long he will still be here. That certainly hurt this year's class. THe reality is, he probably won't be here 5 years from now, but as the best coach the program has ever had, he deserves the opportunity to try to turn this around more on his terms.
2. Keeping Ward hurt in some respects, but he had to keep him as much of the recruiting class was tied to Ward and we would have lost even more signees if Ward was fired.
3. South Carolina is a small and relatively week recruiting base compared to states like Georgia and Florida (where we also get a lot of kids from). When South Carolina was successful it was because we signed most/all of the top in-state recruits AND those in-state recruits were actually highly coveted on a national basis (Gilmore, Lattimore, Clowney et al). The last few years, the best recruits in this state weren't "national" recruits like their predecessors.

In terms of looking ahead to who might be next, whenever Spurrier decides on his own to leave..... yes, the person should have ties to the Southeast to cut down on the number of years it will take to establish himself with local high schools etc. Despite our recent woes, the Univ. of South Carolina is no longer a place where we have to gamble by going after an unproven young coordinator. We are a place that got Spurrier, Dawn Staley, and Frank Martin. Big names. No reason to take a step backwards with our expectations and take a gamble. THere's too much at stake. . Aim a lot higher otherwise we wend up with another Brad Scott or Sparky Woods. Hiring a 30 year old unproven head coach takes us off the map of being serious in the expecations that Coach Spurrier has allowed us to have (We used to be happy to be bowl eligible, now we're pissed about going 7-6 and winning a bowl game like last year). That's a good thing that Spurrier has done for us!

Go Gamecocks.

I disagree with the article.
First off, the real issue on the recent decline is three-fold in my opinion:
1. Spurrier made a well-documented mistake with the initial comments about how long he will still be here. That certainly hurt this year's class. THe reality is, he probably won't be here 5 years from now, but as the best coach the program has ever had, he deserves the opportunity to try to turn this around more on his terms.
2. Keeping Ward hurt in some respects, but he had to keep him as much of the recruiting class was tied to Ward and we would have lost even more signees if Ward was fired.
3. South Carolina is a small and relatively week recruiting base compared to states like Georgia and Florida (where we also get a lot of kids from). When South Carolina was successful it was because we signed most/all of the top in-state recruits AND those in-state recruits were actually highly coveted on a national basis (Gilmore, Lattimore, Clowney et al). The last few years, the best recruits in this state weren't "national" recruits like their predecessors.

In terms of looking ahead to who might be next, whenever Spurrier decides on his own to leave..... yes, the person should have ties to the Southeast to cut down on the number of years it will take to establish himself with local high schools etc. Despite our recent woes, the Univ. of South Carolina is no longer a place where we have to gamble by going after an unproven young coordinator. We are a place that got Spurrier, Dawn Staley, and Frank Martin. Big names. No reason to take a step backwards with our expectations and take a gamble. THere's too much at stake. . Aim a lot higher otherwise we wend up with another Brad Scott or Sparky Woods. Hiring a 30 year old unproven head coach takes us off the map of being serious in the expecations that Coach Spurrier has allowed us to have (We used to be happy to be bowl eligible, now we're pissed about going 7-6 and winning a bowl game like last year). That's a good thing that Spurrier has done for us!

Go Gamecocks.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post!

1. I don't understand why it's a good idea to announce Spurrier's retirement in the middle of the season when recruiting is slim pickings and he has been telling recruits he is going to be here another 4-5 years.
2. Why can't the new coach be more than 40 years old? We need a coach that is going to set us on the right track, we aren't hiring someone because we need him to be the coach for the next 25-30 years. Tee Martin? Touiasopo? sp? are you serious? Let's not bring a Tennessee player or some coach from Clemson that just signed on, or a west coast guy that just began his coaching career. Let's get a guy with a good bit of positive experience in the FBS as a head coach or one of the top Coordinators in the country that has worked closely with really good head coaches. Damn the money it's going to cost.

Rix, pretty good shot at the fixes. Everyone on this board has their own take on what or not needs to be done. Keep it up. Have thick skin and keep writing. Besides, it's fun to read the banter! Go Gamecocks.

1. I don't understand why it's a good idea to announce Spurrier's retirement in the middle of the season when recruiting is slim pickings and he has been telling recruits he is going to be here another 4-5 years.
2. Why can't the new coach be more than 40 years old? We need a coach that is going to set us on the right track, we aren't hiring someone because we need him to be the coach for the next 25-30 years. Tee Martin? Touiasopo? sp? are you serious? Let's not bring a Tennessee player or some coach from Clemson that just signed on, or a west coast guy that just began his coaching career. Let's get a guy with a good bit of positive experience in the FBS as a head coach or one of the top Coordinators in the country that has worked closely with really good head coaches. Damn the money it's going to cost.

Big gamble imo. I'd rather see us go after a lower level head coach.

I would not be totally opposed to something of this manner it still is not a recipe for success. I think the next hire is going to be the key here. We would lose this recruiting cycle regardless so that wouldn't be a big deal if we are changing staffs. The assistants will also be a very important key. The 'the job' rather than 'a job' is lame. If I work in a place....it is 'the' job' There can always be 'another job' so, like I said....lame ! The "has to be someone with no experience".. not.....that also means 'no name recognition, not good....no track record to measure, not good....and do we really want a 'learn on the job' guy for an SEC program. I think Lane Kiffin with his...lessons learned, dream job destroyed, and youthful attitude, would be perfect. This guy left Tennessee with the 5th rated recruiting class in his first cycle. I know the So.Cal. crap but he had former head coaches on staff and his dad. That was a disaster from the get go. They were all playing the 'looking for my next gig' game. I think that would be closer to what we need than what you suggest....but that's me.

A six-step plan that could bring South Carolina's football program out of its current tailspin and set the Gamecocks up for future success.

http://www.gamecockcereal.com/home/rixonlane/2015/9/23/how-to-fix-the-gamecock-football-program
I feel so dumb. I didn't realize this was a gag until I got to the list of potential coaches. Say no to any big name coach...weird, can you explain? Then, boom - Jeff Scott! Hilarious! And bunch of other guys that aren't even coordinators in the their current jobs!

Great stuff.

Reactions: NetworkX
Okay where to start

Step 1, you say Spurrier to announce his retirement now, that might be fine, that would enable Tanner to search for a coach. The big problem though, will the assistant coaches continue to recruit or just give up. I do think that this should be Spurrier's last year or he should sign a 6 year contract with buyouts if he retires before that date. We could chose not to enforce the buyout when the time comes for his retirement. If he retires this year, it should be announced a couple of days before the dead period for recruiting. Spurrier is still a good coach and we would not want to force him out, but changes on the staff is a must. I think Spurrier Jr should be moved to an admin position, or at least take away his recruiting duties.

Step 2, you always play the best player, it is not fair to seniors with their futures on the line, not to play them to build for the future. Really, sit Cooper and Wilds plus many others.

Step 3, we do not play in CUSA, Sun Belt or the AAC, why would we be interested in any of those names. I do not think age matters to tell you the truth. Go get the best head coach we can buy, your list does not have any experience as an OC or DC, or even experience in the SEC.

Step 4, I agree we should go out and get the best assistant we can get, I really believe this is where we have failed in the past. Again though your list leaves much to desire.

Step 5, I think everybody would agree to this, plus I think we could take a risk on a couple guys as well when they are from our state. This is the reason for my step 1, Spurrier retires now or sign a 6 year contract, the Jr. and So. classes are loaded with talent, and we would not want to miss out on those blue chips over Spurrier retirement talk.

Step 6, yes I know we should be patient, but we should show improvement on the recruiting trail by year 2.

I just don't understand the logic behind thinking that Tony Elliott or Jeff Scott would leave tater town for us. They were both just given raises by Dablow. Do you really think they would turn their backs on him and come coach us?
The bare minimum for a head coaching position is about 2 mil......an SEC one about 3 mil...I am sure neither makes anywhere close to that....and aren't worth the 2 or 3 million anyway....

That Jeff Scott as head coach is just to see if people are reading, right?

Why not? Not being sarcastic, honestly want a reason why Jeff Scott would not be someone that they should even look at (even if you disagree with every other name on the list).

No... Just no. Seriously, to invite that evil back in shows a serious lack of judgement.

I think that it would be a lack of judgement to not even consider a person because of something their dad did 15+ years ago, but we're just going to disagree on this one. Appreciate the thoughts.

I think that it would be a lack of judgement to not even consider a person because of something their dad did 15+ years ago, but we're just going to disagree on this one. Appreciate the thoughts.
Are you even a Carolina fan? Make a poll and see who would accept anything Scott back in the door here.

Why not? Not being sarcastic, honestly want a reason why Jeff Scott would not be someone that they should even look at (even if you disagree with every other name on the list).

Thanks for your article and you are a talented writer - don't let the others discourage you. Your piece last week proved eerily prophetic.

However, the reason Jeff Scott shouldn't be considered is that his father ran our program into the ground and hasn't done nearly enough to prove that he has the chops to be a Division I Head Coach. Yes, he's a great recruiter (so was his father). He hasn't even finished out a season as Offensive Coordinator and isn't even the primary play caller.

I'm afraid that you've simply looked to our rival as the model for how to build a program. That's one way that has worked in the ACC. I'm scratching my head to think if that model has worked for a recent national or SEC champion. One could argue Jimbo Fisher, but that was an official "coach-in-waiting" deal so he already had familiarity with the program and he was already in his '40's with a long stop at LSU (under Saban and Miles).

Be careful not to be guilty of chronological snobbery - i.e., thinking that youth is always better than experience. Yes, youth brings vitality and energy, something this program needs. But we've had our best success under proven head coaches:
Dietzel (ACC Championship)
Carlen (Heisman Trophy Winner and several decent seasons)
Morrison ('84, '87)
Holtz ('00, '01)
Spurrier -10 years at or above .500 with the three-year peak.

In my view, when it's time, we go after Dantonio, Gary Patterson, or a Chip Kelly (if he's available), and make sure they have an open checkbook (as you've suggested) to hire outstanding, younger assistant coaches who'll make full use of social media and truly build relationships with our recruits.

Just my $.02 worth.

Also, I think that we're not that far off from competing with UGA. We simply need a modernized offense (dual threat qb with most of our current personnel) and an attacking philosophy on defense. We have some good players, certainly enough to have an above average defense. What we're lacking is scheme, confidence, and motivation.

Thanks again for starting the discussion. Lunch break's over. Back to work...

Respectfully submitted,

HTCock

Thanks for your article and you are a talented writer - don't let the others discourage you. Your piece last week proved eerily prophetic.

However, the reason Jeff Scott shouldn't be considered is that his father ran our program into the ground and hasn't done nearly enough to prove that he has the chops to be a Division I Head Coach. Yes, he's a great recruiter (so was his father). He hasn't even finished out a season as Offensive Coordinator and isn't even the primary play caller.

I'm afraid that you've simply looked to our rival as the model for how to build a program. That's one way that has worked in the ACC. I'm scratching my head to think if that model has worked for a recent national or SEC champion. One could argue Jimbo Fisher, but that was an official "coach-in-waiting" deal so he already had familiarity with the program and he was already in his '40's with a long stop at LSU (under Saban and Miles).

Be careful not to be guilty of chronological snobbery - i.e., thinking that youth is always better than experience. Yes, youth brings vitality and energy, something this program needs. But we've had our best success under proven head coaches:
Dietzel (ACC Championship)
Carlen (Heisman Trophy Winner and several decent seasons)
Morrison ('84, '87)
Holtz ('00, '01)
Spurrier -10 years at or above .500 with the three-year peak.

In my view, when it's time, we go after Dantonio, Gary Patterson, or a Chip Kelly (if he's available), and make sure they have an open checkbook (as you've suggested) to hire outstanding, younger assistant coaches who'll make full use of social media and truly build relationships with our recruits.

Just my $.02 worth.

Also, I think that we're not that far off from competing with UGA. We simply need a modernized offense (dual threat qb with most of our current personnel) and an attacking philosophy on defense. We have some good players, certainly enough to have an above average defense. What we're lacking is scheme, confidence, and motivation.

Thanks again for starting the discussion. Lunch break's over. Back to work...

Respectfully submitted,

HTCock

Appreciate the thoughts and thanks for reading!

We asked for fixes, you came up with some....now we are pissed and insult you because they aren't what we would do....makes perfect sense.

I'm sick of reading SC is too small. Doesn't seem to affect Clemp. Also, doesn't seem to affect other schools from coming into SC and plucking away top talent. What a cop out argument!

Everyone knows the issue. Let's quit being so PC around here. SOS has assembled a poor staff, starting with Jr. He ran off one of our best RC's ever. He's delegated talent evaluation, recruiting and play calling duties to people who aren't really qualified to handle it, with the exception of GA. None of this will be fixed until SOS is gone.

A six-step plan that could bring South Carolina's football program out of its current tailspin and set the Gamecocks up for future success.

http://www.gamecockcereal.com/home/rixonlane/2015/9/23/how-to-fix-the-gamecock-football-program

Decent article but I'd go a step further. Why not try to become the Oregon of the southeast (or the Baylor/TCU of the southeast)? When hiring Spurrier's eventual replacement, why not go all-in with both an up-tempo offense and trendy branding via the partnership with Under Armor?

A legendary coach like Spurrier (or Holtz) can level the playing field as their name and resume gives the program instant credibility. But without someone like that as head coach, the style of play and branding of the program become key. How often can a program like USC really expect to beat the traditional bluebloods by attempting to be like them? Wouldn't it be better to stand out from the crowd? There are a few teams in this region running up-tempo offenses and a few that tinker with trendy uniform designs, but is anyone really doing both? Is there a program truly committed to that identity?

USC is among the few programs that seems willing to embrace "new" traditions. Consider Sandstorm for example. Didn't even exist a decade ago, yet quickly became a signature by which the program is recognized nationally. So why not hire a coach that will run 100 plays a game and partner with Under Armor to give USC a trendy new look?

Some will be offended by the suggestion, but it worked for Oregon (and Baylor). It could work here too, particularly since there aren't any other programs in the region truly committed to that model. So yes, if Chip Kelly happened to be available at the time Spurrier were to retire, it could be a perfect solution, particularly if USC had the marketing and branding to match.

Patience is not likely to be in abundance. There is going to need to be a big improvement by year 2 maybe 3 with the new coach, depending on how bad recruiting slides with a regime change. We're in the SEC now. It's time we start doing it the SEC way. Start getting results soon, or get a job somewhere else.

Here is what we do: 1. Spurrier retires at the END of the season. 2. We offer the job to Jeremy Pruitt, pay the man whatever it takes. 3. Georgia is sent reeling needing to find a new Defensive Coordinator and half of their defensive recruits follow him to Columbia. BAM!!! We are back just like that.

Don't think that ruling out a potential candidate because of who his father is would be a smart way to go.
Like I said...you can't be serious about hiring a "learn on the job" candidate at an SEC school trying to make a statement. He (Jeff Scott) and the others have proved nothing and that would be a gamble on the lines of Darren Horn. I said the 'a job' vs 'the job' is a silly thing....as long as you are coaching at a school it is 'the job'. To hire someone with no track record and just something to prove might be a recipe for disaster rather than a fix. I would take a young head coach from a smaller school who has had some success and that's still taking a chance. Why make it any chancier....?

Rixon- I believe you made some valid points but do question a few if you could answer these?

1) Why is the magic number 40yrs old? I believe that we need someone who has a proven record as a head coach... Otherwise, this could turn into Chad H. situation with baseball. Heck of an assistant and recruiter, BUT from the past few seasons appears to be a crappy head coach. I would aim as high as we could get for a Head Coach. Open the check book, we have saved enough money over the last few years, need to start spending some of our savings. Pay for the assistant coaches as well, get a few with ties to not only the southeast but other parts of the nation. They do grow talent outside of the southeast and I believe you have to reach out farther for the first couple of years to help with the current state of our program.
2) If we announce mid season that SOS is retiring, how do we lure a top named coach away from their current job mid-season. Say Chip Kelley was interested in coming to SC, you couldn't contact him until January at the earliest. This goes for many other HC or OC/DC that would fit what we were possibly looking for. That is way too late for this years class.
3) Recruiting is the biggest problem. I think we all can agree on that. How do we get away from recruiting these 2* and low 3*? Our current staff believes you can continue to recruit lumps of coal and making them into diamonds. This thought process is what is getting us further behind in the SEC. Would we cut the commitments from the guys for next year that wouldn't make it for other coaches? I'm not going to buy into the fact that we can't compete with other schools for top talent. We are losing our own state because our coaches have been sub-par in evaluating it over the past few years... How do you not jump on guys like Feaster as a sophmore? Or you let Quenshaud Davis go to UNC and you take Jody Fuller instead... JJ Arcega-Whiteside from Dorman goes to Stanford, I personally have had many conversations with him and he told me on his recruiting visit after the Mizzu game that Spurrier wouldn't come talk to him and that was the only reason he had come to the game.... YOU BURN BRIDGES WITH SC COACHES THAT WAY!!!

Rixon- I believe you made some valid points but do question a few if you could answer these?

1) Why is the magic number 40yrs old? I believe that we need someone who has a proven record as a head coach... Otherwise, this could turn into Chad H. situation with baseball. Heck of an assistant and recruiter, BUT from the past few seasons appears to be a crappy head coach. I would aim as high as we could get for a Head Coach. Open the check book, we have saved enough money over the last few years, need to start spending some of our savings. Pay for the assistant coaches as well, get a few with ties to not only the southeast but other parts of the nation. They do grow talent outside of the southeast and I believe you have to reach out farther for the first couple of years to help with the current state of our program.
2) If we announce mid season that SOS is retiring, how do we lure a top named coach away from their current job mid-season. Say Chip Kelley was interested in coming to SC, you couldn't contact him until January at the earliest. This goes for many other HC or OC/DC that would fit what we were possibly looking for. That is way too late for this years class.
3) Recruiting is the biggest problem. I think we all can agree on that. How do we get away from recruiting these 2* and low 3*? Our current staff believes you can continue to recruit lumps of coal and making them into diamonds. This thought process is what is getting us further behind in the SEC. Would we cut the commitments from the guys for next year that wouldn't make it for other coaches? I'm not going to buy into the fact that we can't compete with other schools for top talent. We are losing our own state because our coaches have been sub-par in evaluating it over the past few years... How do you not jump on guys like Feaster as a sophmore? Or you let Quenshaud Davis go to UNC and you take Jody Fuller instead... JJ Arcega-Whiteside from Dorman goes to Stanford, I personally have had many conversations with him and he told me on his recruiting visit after the Mizzu game that Spurrier wouldn't come talk to him and that was the only reason he had come to the game.... YOU BURN BRIDGES WITH SC COACHES THAT WAY!!!

1) Put 40 out there because I think SC needs someone to be "their guy." Holtz and Spurrier had both made their names at other places and I think the time has come for the Gamecocks to have a coach who can make his legacy in Columbia. Someone in the 40-year range would reasonably be able to put in 15-20 years at SC if things worked out. Of course, I totally understand the argument that a head coach of a lower level program is a safer hire than a coordinator whose never led a program. Just the path I chose for this piece.

2) The idea for announcing Spurrier's final ride now is based on the thought that South Carolina can't afford to remain below-average for another season while Spurrier gets his farewell tour. It sets you back another year in recruiting and does nothing to get the program closer to rebuilding. This can't be about Spurrier and his feelings, must be about the program as a whole, a program that still has to try and compete long after Steve Spurrier is no longer on the sidelines.

3) I don't understand some of the recruiting decisions made over the last few seasons, especially with regards to in-state players. Don't follow it closely enough to be able to answer why certain things are happening, but it's obvious that something needs to change.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate the questions and thoughts!

Reactions: Cocky4SC

No one would respect the kid. The players or any coaches. The only reason he is where he is is because of nepotism (example Jr.). He has no pressure and no way he can handle it here. Is he on anyone's short list save for high school HC?

Some of your points have some validity, but you lost all credibility with the two Clemson coordinators as possible replacements.

What have either really done to warrant it? Good grief!

After reading a sample of your writings there, I believe the name of the site needs to be changed to "Frosted Flakes".

Not only because some of the comments have been filled with flakiness, but it's the only "cereal" that has a tiger for it's mascot. More in line with what you write.

Jeremy Pruitt, is 41. Just saying. He's only been coaching college football since 2010 and has coached on 3 National Championship teams. 2 at Alabama. 1 at Florida state and has been the DC for Georgia since last year where he is making 1.3 million. Before 2010 he was a coach at the great Hoover HS in Alabama. He is also a former player at Alabama and middle tennessee state.

I don't know how old you are, or how long you've followed SC football, but I am old enough to remember the days after Scott's dismissal.

Every time that Jeff had a chance to defend his father in the media (which I would expect a son to rightfully do), he also trashed USC with as much venom as I have ever heard anyone do. Very hateful comments.

I hear rumors that he continues to do so to this day.
So, that is enough reason for me.

Jeff Scott has been a co-coordinator for a total of three games. So exactly what has he accomplished? You see anyone else beating his door down? He doesn't have the resume to be the coach at Wofford, much USC. Plus, Jeff Scott - come on. He ran USC down after his disgrace of a father left for tater tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT