ADVERTISEMENT

How To Fix the Gamecock Football Program

USC is in a very good position to go after and bring in just about any coach. No need to go after a coordinator who hasn't been given the keys to the car just yet. Contemporary offense is key, and for that there are plenty of young proven head coaches out there.

A six-step plan that could bring South Carolina's football program out of its current tailspin and set the Gamecocks up for future success.

http://www.gamecockcereal.com/home/rixonlane/2015/9/23/how-to-fix-the-gamecock-football-program

Ok, before I get serious, I have to say, you have balls of steel to suggest two Clemson guys (as in both are coaches AND alum) for your HC position. BALLS OF STEEL. Just wow... I laughed out loud.

Ok, here we go.

1. Not a bad idea. If SS IS ready to go after this year, that may be a plan. My only concern is that unless you have a replacement already hired when you make this announcement, you can kiss off this recruiting class. Who wants to sign with a program with no staff after this year? (you don't want to handicap your incoming coach by telling him he can't have the staff he wants, but a situation where NO ONE'S job is safe is really bad for recruiting.) Yes, that's a short term problem, but a class of two and three stars is going to hurt you for 4 years and frankly, you need some good players RIGHT NOW. Getting any of those guys to commit before the season is over is unlikely IMHO.

Instead (especially if SS ISN'T ready to say he's leaving) you do the HC in waiting thing. I'm not a big fan of this generally, but if it's done right (see FSU) it can really help out while you are dealing with an awkward situation where you have a HC that may need to go, but actually firing him is not something you want to have to do.

That way, you can bring in a guy that can recruit and connect with young people and is the future of the program, while still doing right by the winningest coach you've ever had.

2. Again, I see where you are coming from. But in college football, you play to win. There's a BIG difference between 2-10 and 5-7... plus you have to expect that USC will improve some over the course of the year. If you are sitting at 3 or 4 wins with a couple of games left, you still have a bowl on the table. You write off the season now and you have no idea of what could happen down the road. Play the best players IMHO... if these young guys ARE the future, coach them up and let them earn playing time. If the staff does as you suggest, they are quitting on the season. The players aren't stupid, they will see this and quit too. I wouldn't want to play for a staff that has packed it in after 3 games.

3. Well, hiring the right successor is a good start, but how exactly do you go about it? I'll agree with the youngish part, but why do you want someone w/o HC experience? Pick someone young with a couple of years of success at a small FBS school or a lot of success at the Division 2 level. Spend some money and get an up and comer for sure, but also someone who's been in the big chair before and doesn't have to learn how to do his job on one of college football's toughest stages.

4. No.... and not just no, HELL NO! Hire a young, hungry guy to run the show and recruit like hell. BUT then surround him with a couple of coordinators that know their shiit. Maybe former long time OCs/DCs that got promoted to HC and it didn't work out... Guys that will be at USC a while and won't immediately jump at the 1st HC job that is offered to them. That will give your HC time to grow up and become more comfortable in the SEC before he has to know everything. This will cost money... North of 1 million per coordinator. THEN hire those young energetic position coaches that can coach AND recruit.

5.Again, I have to disagree. While you want to recruit strong in state, frankly players are going to be either Clemson or Carolina fans. Going to the other school isn't going to happen all that often and really, how many hot and heavy battles between USC and Clemson for a premium recruit have there been in the last 10 years? Maybe 5 or 6? Not an issue IMHO and the recruiting between Clemson and USC swings back and forth a lot from year to year. USC needs to learn to recruit out of state. When's the last time a 5-star guy from UNC, Florida, or Georgia gave you the time of day? (I honestly don't know the answer here, but however many there are, it isn't enough). You CAN'T be a successful team and recruit in-state only. There's simply not enough talent here for one Division 1 school, much less two. USC simply has to start getting some premium guys from elsewhere.

6. Agreed. The program is down for sure. That's not going to fix itself overnight. Frankly, no matter who you hire, they are not going to be as good as SS when it comes to play calling and simply coaching em up. With Tenn and UGA getting better, it's going to take a while before you can challenge for the SEC east again. That's going to be a painful process (for Carolina fans... I'm personally OK with it).

Anyway, I enjoyed the article. Some good thoughts there.

Step 1- spend the money, on anything football related. I don't care if you have to take a second mortgage out on the stadium, spend money like you're Bama! Every other sport takes a back seat for now. Women's baseball is fun but let's get real, football is what we all get excited about.

Step 2- cheat. Learn from Auburn and Clemson. Everyone knows they cheat and nobody says a word. Cheat like that! Be smart about it though.

Jeremy Pruitt, is 41. Just saying. He's only been coaching college football since 2010 and has coached on 3 National Championship teams. 2 at Alabama. 1 at Florida state and has been the DC for Georgia since last year where he is making 1.3 million. Before 2010 he was a coach at the great Hoover HS in Alabama. He is also a former player at Alabama and middle tennessee state.

I have thought about him as UGA's next coach, and would be all for it except for 1 thing. He is a Bama alumni, when Saban leaves and he has had some success as a head coach, he would bolt back to Bama in a heartbeat. Might not be the case, but afraid it that's what happens.

A six-step plan that could bring South Carolina's football program out of its current tailspin and set the Gamecocks up for future success.

You know they have a 12 step plan that will help cure you of your 6 step plan. ;)

Last edited:
Hang on...you're advocating for USC to hire either Jeff Scott or Tony Elliott as the next HC? Dude...they're not even through their first season as OCs!!

To be fair, I've no problem hiring coaches who have served at Clemson; business is business.

But be honest...you're only trolling the USC fan base now.

I feel so dumb. I didn't realize this was a gag until I got to the list of potential coaches. Say no to any big name coach...weird, can you explain? Then, boom - Jeff Scott! Hilarious! And bunch of other guys that aren't even coordinators in the their current jobs!

Great stuff.

Yep!! God knows I'd rather see Derick (sp?) Dooley than Jeff Scott any damned day!!!!

Not only did I enjoy that piece, but aside from the aforementioned Scott/Elliot stuff, I couldn't agree more.

Starting with the announcement of spurriers inevitable retirement. I like the idea. Fill the seats. Bring more attention to our program. The media would flock to cola in droves to tell the story of the gamecocks winningest coach and sec legend.

I'd go a different route in the hire and if you can get a guy like chip kelly, you do it.

Reactions: scirish77
Decent article but I'd go a step further. Why not try to become the Oregon of the southeast (or the Baylor/TCU of the southeast)? When hiring Spurrier's eventual replacement, why not go all-in with both an up-tempo offense and trendy branding via the partnership with Under Armor?

A legendary coach like Spurrier (or Holtz) can level the playing field as their name and resume gives the program instant credibility. But without someone like that as head coach, the style of play and branding of the program become key. How often can a program like USC really expect to beat the traditional bluebloods by attempting to be like them? Wouldn't it be better to stand out from the crowd? There are a few teams in this region running up-tempo offenses and a few that tinker with trendy uniform designs, but is anyone really doing both? Is there a program truly committed to that identity?

USC is among the few programs that seems willing to embrace "new" traditions. Consider Sandstorm for example. Didn't even exist a decade ago, yet quickly became a signature by which the program is recognized nationally. So why not hire a coach that will run 100 plays a game and partner with Under Armor to give USC a trendy new look?

Some will be offended by the suggestion, but it worked for Oregon (and Baylor). It could work here too, particularly since there aren't any other programs in the region truly committed to that model. So yes, if Chip Kelly happened to be available at the time Spurrier were to retire, it could be a perfect solution, particularly if USC had the marketing and branding to match.

Glad to see you back....always enjoy your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT