ADVERTISEMENT

How was CFP committee chosen?

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Did they apply? Politic?
Having a member of your program on that panel no doubt is a major benefit! Recuse or not the whole committee (and any other committee for that matter) operates under a “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours system”. Dan R. may leave the room. But his wishes are no doubt in the minds of the others.
Every year or two the committee should be replaced with a new group!!!!!

Reactions: 92Pony
I get where you're going with this. Another Clemson conspiracy. Although I do agree with you that no member of the committee should have a direct affiliation with one of the schools. I don't see anything wrong with Bobby Johnson being on it, but having Clemson's AD on it can allow folks like yourself to scream conspiracy.

If these people had no ties to ANY football program then we probably wouldn't have a very knowledgeable or credible group. What other members have very close ties to a school. I thought Wisconsin's AD was on it?

I get where you're going with this. Another Clemson conspiracy. Although I do agree with you that no member of the committee should have a direct affiliation with one of the schools. I don't see anything wrong with Bobby Johnson being on it, but having Clemson's AD on it can allow folks like yourself to scream conspiracy.

If these people had no ties to ANY football program then we probably wouldn't have a very knowledgeable or credible group. What other members have very close ties to a school. I thought Wisconsin's AD was on it?

I have No issue with Clemsin being in top 4 right now. Firmly at number 2 though? Damn right it’s fishy!
Should be no problem finding another group to do it for 2 years. Then change again.

Clemson is the only school that has it's AD who also happens to have a son on the football team as part of the playoff selection committee. There also the only school with two members that have strong ties to the school (AD, former QB). The ACC is the only conference with three members represented. Nothing fishy at all.

Same committee as the last two years and I don't think there's anything fishy about 2015 or 2015 in favor of any ACC team. Clemson ahead of Miami and Oklahoma doesn't make sense to me either but saying that it's fishy is a bit ridiculous. Just because we don't agree with the committee on their ranking of the team that happens to be your school's rival doesn't mean something fishy is going on.

Clemson should be 4th. Is it insane to put them second? Not really. Is it insane to put Penn State 2nd? Yes. 2nd, 3rd, 4th at this point isn't really a big deal. We all know if Clemson wins out they are anywhere from 1-3.

I don't think there is anything fishy going on. Anybody that thinks so is WANTING something to be fishy. If there becomes a pattern of things, then we can talk.

Wether they belong in the top 4 now is irrelevant (to this thread). The CFP committee should cycle through with new members. Because IF it comes down to 2 equal teams a team like Clemsin will benefit from having so much influence within the committee. So I see no reason why it would hurt to recruit new members.

Just to play devil's advocate here, what if the committee has done a great job, as they have so far Inc my opinion. Then you change out the whole committee and the next group blows it in their first year.

Just to play devil's advocate here, what if the committee has done a great job, as they have so far Inc my opinion. Then you change out the whole committee and the next group blows it in their first year.

This could happen. But it’s a risk I think must be taken. Don’t change them all out at once. Make it a three year cycle and have 4 drop each year.

Reactions: CJ Thriller
Did they apply? Politic?
Having a member of your program on that panel no doubt is a major benefit! Recuse or not the whole committee (and any other committee for that matter) operates under a “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours system”. Dan R. may leave the room. But his wishes are no doubt in the minds of the others.

Well conveniently that's exactly how it works. Each committee members serves a 3 year term.

http://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/9/20/1133931387_131504027187609963.aspx

Did they apply? Politic?

Multiple members have already been replaced and more will be replaced next year.

Past Selection Committee Members
Barry Alvarez - 2014, 2015, 2016
Mike Gould - 2014, 2015
Pat Haden - 2014
Oliver Luck - 2014
Tom Osborne - 2014, 2015
Condoleezza Rice - 2014, 2015, 2016
Michael Tranghese - 2014, 2015

Reactions: Judson1
Multiple members have already been replaced and more will be replaced next year.

Past Selection Committee Members
Barry Alvarez - 2014, 2015, 2016
Mike Gould - 2014, 2015
Pat Haden - 2014
Oliver Luck - 2014
Tom Osborne - 2014, 2015
Condoleezza Rice - 2014, 2015, 2016
Michael Tranghese - 2014, 2015
Then it's high time for the taters to rotate off. Like the OP said, guarantee you there's some 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' going on. If it were Ray Tanner and an SC alum in the committee, and USC were close to being considered, taters would be screaming as well.

Reactions: Judson1
Clemson is the only school that has it's AD who also happens to have a son on the football team as part of the playoff selection committee. There also the only school with two members that have strong ties to the school (AD, former QB). The ACC is the only conference with three members represented. Nothing fishy at all.

First of all Bobby Johnson was a WR and DB. Second he hasnt had a tie to Clemson since 1972. How you consider that a "strong tie" is beyond me. If anything I would say hes an SEC lean because of all his years at Vandy. The only two are for the ACC are Beamer and Radakovich.

Then it's high time for the taters to rotate off. Like the OP said, guarantee you there's some 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' going on. If it were Ray Tanner and an SC alum in the committee, and USC were close to being considered, taters would be screaming as well.
About half of the groups term is up in Feb 2018 including Johnson and Radakovich. Oregon has an AD and former player (who was prez of NCAA) but nobody is screaming about that.

Kirby Hocutt February 2018
Christopher B. Howard February 2020
Jeff Bower February 2019
Herb Deromedi February 2019
Tom Jernstedt February 2018
Bobby Johnson February 2018
Jeff Long February 2018
Rob Mullens February 2019
Dan Radakovich Clemson February 2018
Frank Beamer ] February 2020
Steve Wieberg February 2018
Tyrone Willingham February 2018
Gene Smith February 2020

First of all Bobby Johnson was a WR and DB. Second he hasnt had a tie to Clemson since 1972. How you consider that a "strong tie" is beyond me. If anything I would say hes an SEC lean because of all his years at Vandy. The only two are for the ACC are Beamer and Radakovich.
He's a tater grad. What are you taking about? Of course that would be considered a strong tie

Just like a tater to say an Alumni doesnt have strong ties- that’s HILARIOUS

He's a tater grad. What are you taking about? Of course that would be considered a strong tie

Why? Sure its a tie to the school but that doesnt mean he bleeds orange. I know Clemson grads who pull for USC and USC grads who are Clemson fans. Hell my cousin bleeds orange and hes probably gonna end up at SC because he wants to go to the USC College of Pharmacy.

Selection chairman Kirby Hocutt said that while Clemson and Miami are very similar on paper statistically, the group gave the slight edge to the Tigers based on their wins over ranked opponents, especially Auburn.

He mentioned the committee has paid special consideration to the injury to quarterback Kelly Bryant in Clemson’s loss to Syracuse.

“The selection committee continues to factor in the injury to the quarterback in the Clemson game and the fact that he returned in the next game and returned to full speed and that continues to be a factor in our discussions of Clemson,” he added.

11/14/17

Tie or no tie....IT DOESN'T MATTER. Anybody with a brain realizes Clemson deserved to be in playoffs the last two years, and will deserve to be in if they win three more games.

Let it go guys

Tie or no tie....IT DOESN'T MATTER. Anybody with a brain realizes Clemson deserved to be in playoffs the last two years, and will deserve to be in if they win three more games.

Let it go guys

Once again you fail to realize the topic of this thread. If they win out yes they should be in. But that’s not the subject here.

Selection chairman Kirby Hocutt said that while Clemson and Miami are very similar on paper statistically, the group gave the slight edge to the Tigers based on their wins over ranked opponents, especially Auburn.

He mentioned the committee has paid special consideration to the injury to quarterback Kelly Bryant in Clemson’s loss to Syracuse.

“The selection committee continues to factor in the injury to the quarterback in the Clemson game and the fact that he returned in the next game and returned to full speed and that continues to be a factor in our discussions of Clemson,” he added.

11/14/17
Flawed logic by the selection committee by factoring in the injury to Clemson's QB. Injuries are part of the game. That same committee is hyping the 'slight edge' to the Tigers based especially on the win over ranked Auburn - although AU was playing without their best RB and probably best player in Kerryon Johnson (1035 yards rushing through 8 games, 15TDs, 129 yards per game). A rational person would conclude that Clemson's 8 point win over a team playing without their best player should be somewhat tarnished. But, the committee seems to speak out of both sides of its mouth.

The current ADs of Ohio St, Arkansas (was fired yesterday), Oregon and Texas Tech are also on the committee.

Last edited:
Y'all...it's no different than CRT and HP being on the NCAA Baseball Committee. You know...that committee that picks host sites, the field of 64 and the 8 National Seeds. And trust me, there have been years that we've benefited from it, especially in the recent past.

I️ haven’t had ties to USC since graduation in 1981, but I️ have strong loyalty. You’re not being honest if you think Johnson does not feel loyal to Clemson. His ties are not to any team in the hunt, but Clemson!

The first two years unfortunately the inbreed sCUm clearly belonged there. If they win out unfortunately they belong again. The good news is if our guys man up we have something to say about that. Where the taters on the committee come in is if it’s a judgement situation. If all hell breaks loose and a two loss team goes in and they have lost to either us or Miami real close their tater guys will play a role. Yeah I know they can’t vote or influence the decision.... I call bs on that. All said, I’ll be glad when they rotate off.

Since the Bama starting LB missed the second half due to injury, does the committee think we should have co-national champions?
Flawed logic by the selection committee by factoring in the injury to Clemson's QB. Injuries are part of the game. That same committee is hyping the 'slight edge' to the Tigers based especially on the win over ranked Auburn - although AU was playing without their best RB and probably best player in Kerryon Johnson (1035 yards rushing through 8 games, 15TDs, 129 yards per game). A rational person would conclude that Clemson's 8 point win over a team playing without their best player should be somewhat tarnished. But, the committee seems to speak out of both sides of its mouth.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Since the Bama starting LB missed the second half due to injury, does the committee think we should have co-national champions?

If it looks like a loss in the second half maybe a QB in the future will be asked by the coach to take a dive;).

Did they apply? Politic?

Obviously , the Clemson mafia bribed all the powers players to load the group with Clemson biased members. The amazing thing is that Clemson was able to continue to pay off the local police department , statewide media , ACC referees , and mega star recruits ,

This has all been accomplished with only A-She -She money.

That Clemson mafia will indeed be brought to their knees soon. I have heard that USC is hiring a special prosecutor to look into Clemson’s collusion with all things powerful in Collrge football.

11/14/17
THIS is a problem.... They admitted OU was hurt by their loss to Iowa St (a better loss than Clemsons and they have better wins), yet did not take into account their injuries in the loss to Iowa St.
Claimed Miami was ahead of OU because they had zero losses, Claimed Clemson was ahead of Miami because their horrible loss to Syracuse was because of injuries.

You cant pick one team and one game out to factor in "injuries" IMO They screwed up with this admission in public. It puts their entire process into question going forward.
I was quite frankly shocked at such a arbitrary decision to pick out one game and talk injuries with one team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT