ADVERTISEMENT

I’m no QB expert, but I think Jake Bentley’s mechanics are wrong or off

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
i wonder if he is throwing off his back foot...

He really hasn’t looked good throwing the ball since the Clemson game and once he gets into a rhythm, it late in the game...

Granted, Deebo isn’t out there catching the balls, but he seems to make up for the bad passes that Jake Bentley was throwing...

Any thoughts on this???

i wonder if he is throwing off his back foot...

He really hasn’t looked good throwing the ball since the Clemson game and once he gets into a rhythm, it late in the game...

Granted, Deebo isn’t out there catching the balls, but he seems to make up for the bad passes that Jake Bentley was throwing...

Any thoughts on this???
He doesn't step into his throws. He still uses just his arm strngth.

Yep, he starts off the game way too shaky and that HAS to change. He overthrows his receivers constantly but generally makes good decisions. His downfield passing is still a work in progress, but you can't expect a QB to hit every throw on target down the field.

Overall he's more than serviceable but he cannot win you a game... yet.

Better hope his daddy doesn't read that you guys are questioning his technique. The QB whisperer will get upset.

Looks like a young man under a lot of stress. Wants to do well for the team, lead the others, set the example, and causes his own pressure to rise. Somehow the coaches need to relieve all that stress and let the athletic ability shine through. I saw the same signs in Shaw. He was afraid to make an error and displease the head ball coach so he wore it all on his shoulders. Jake seems to hesitate some or not be confident in many throws. Some of the protection failures have been on him for not getting the ball out. But getting beaten up back there takes a toll. I hope this is something he can work through and lead the team to a decent finish. However, I'd like to give backup some snaps and a chance to throw a few in a game so will be ready if needed.

Ok, so I’m not totally off when watching Jake throws the ball...

Isn’t this what the QB coach or Offense Coordinator should be fixing in practice???

When BM was here last year, I thought the same thing that Brandon couldn’t throw and when Jake came in, Jake played great to get us 3 wins... But it turns out to be coaching (Roper)... Jake didn’t have the luxury of learning the offense like Brandon did coming into 2016 Spring practice, so Jake was a better QB before Roper got his hands on him during the off-season...

Ok, so I’m not totally off when watching Jake throws the ball...

Isn’t this what the QB coach or Offense Coordinator should be fixing in practice???

When BM was here last year, I thought the same thing that Brandon couldn’t throw and when Jake came in, Jake played great to get us 3 wins... But it turns out to be coaching (Roper)... Jake didn’t have the luxury of learning the offense like Brandon did coming into 2016 Spring practice, so Jake was a better QB before Roper got his hands on him during the off-season...
Hard to blame Roper. Even if you don't like his offense, hard to deny his ability to coach QBs.

Reactions: funktavious
You throw off your back foot when you have defenders in your face. Cut down the sacks and suddenly he starts completing more passes. Math 101.

Reactions: snucock63
I know enough to know he has very good mechanics..The issue seems to be he is very excitable and sails a few high balls on occasion...But he throw too many great balls to have mechanical issues...Our wr have to win more of the 50/50 and the back shoulder throws...They are freshmen and will get better at that...But Chad Terrell should have had a TD while Edwards should have had 2 more huge catches

Truth be told, I've been spoiled by Connor Shaw and his ability to get additional yardage when plays break down. Jake is a dropped back passer that gets to jacked up at the beginning of each game and over throws the receivers. By the time he settles down the receivers are spent.

Reactions: E-Cut_22
Better hope his daddy doesn't read that you guys are questioning his technique. The QB whisperer will get upset.
Cheap shot. Just think of where we would be at qb if Jake Bentley had not come our way and doubt he would have had champ not hired dad away from Auburn.. Granted he's not perfect and has room for improvement. Playing behind our ol with the exception of possibly this game would make any qb nervous. Limited run game to take the pressure off.Tacklers in his face. Question? Would be be better off without the Bentleys? I don't think so. Dad is a good recruiter and not that bad as a coach. Put the saddle up and stop riding these guys.

His footwork is horrible; but can be corrected. It looks like it has gotten worse this year. It's very inconsistent and a huge reason why he throws high at times. Again, it can be corrected, and you hope they are working on this.

Would you rather be in position we were in last year? He gets a little hyped to start games, rushes a little and throws high. However, protection issues adds to that. Anybody would rush. Look at his decision making, and great throws. He will just keep getting better. Glad he is our QB. Competitor that loves game.

How many of you guys are qualified to analyze his footwork and mechanics? I'm the first to admiti never played QB and don't know jack about it, but do any of you really? I can parrot what commentators say with the best of them, but sometimes they talk just to hear themselves talk.

How many of you guys are qualified to analyze his footwork and mechanics? I'm the first to admiti never played QB and don't know jack about it, but do any of you really? I can parrot what commentators say with the best of them, but sometimes they talk just to hear themselves talk.
Not I...never played QB (except Y-league). But not stepping into your passes is pretty easy for the casual fan to pick up, as is locking onto a receiver and not going through progressions. Those are easy to see.

I think it's a combination of three things:

1. High expectations
2. Trying too hard to make a big play
3. Lack of confidence in consistent protection from line and backs

I'm no expert either.

As a fan myself, it always interests me how "mechanics" are of such an interest to some sports fans.

Me, I don't care if someone throws underhanded if ball gets where he wants it to go.

Nor do I expect a 19-year-old kid to throw with the accuracy of Tom Brady, or be perfect every game, I just want them to play hard and have fun and represent well.

But, to each his own.

Reactions: HI Cock
Well he has come full circle and now he can become the leader he thought he was after the NC state game.

After a couple of good games last year the media hyped him up and many of us expected Johnny Football in avGamecock jersey this year. Now the media and many of us have torn him apart, ripped him to shreds. The circle of life is now complete and I think he has been humbled enough he can lead the team

I'm no expert either.

As a fan myself, it always interests me how "mechanics" are of such an interest to some sports fans.

Me, I don't care if someone throws underhanded if ball gets where he wants it to go.

Nor do I expect a 19-year-old kid to throw with the accuracy of Tom Brady, or be perfect every game, I just want them to play hard and have fun and represent well.

But, to each his own.
Supposedly Philip Rivers has terrible mechanics. Don't think many Charger fans have been complaining about him.

Reactions: E-Cut_22
We went from one extreme to the other. If Jake tailgated with Stephen Garcia before the game, it would eliminate those overthrows.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yep, he starts off the game way too shaky and that HAS to change. He overthrows his receivers constantly but generally makes good decisions. His downfield passing is still a work in progress, but you can't expect a QB to hit every throw on target down the field.

Overall he's more than serviceable but he cannot win you a game... yet.
Well, if that game is against the C-USA, he has a good chance.

We went from one extreme to the other. If Jake tailgated with Stephen Garcia before the game, it would eliminate those overthrows.
That would be a sight...
E40bEHT.gif

Not I...never played QB (except Y-league). But not stepping into your passes is pretty easy for the casual fan to pick up, as is locking onto a receiver and not going through progressions. Those are easy to see.

I think the whole "going through the progressions" thing is a bit above the casual fan. I know some routes are timing routes, and other times he may have a specific target. I don't know, but it seems that coaches have implied as much when they call specific plays or packages for specific personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT