ADVERTISEMENT

I am usually the decisive type, but cant make up my mind on

USCLaw85

Dec 18, 2016
how to feel about our football situation. One minute I feel like we are stuck in a rut , the next I feel like we are making some progress. One minute I envision us pulling off some big wins next year, then the next I remember the UVA debacle. The one thing I do feel better about is we are starting to have some alternatives at QB but then I wonder if the coaches will even give anyone else a chance until Jake leaves. I try to remain optimistic that some success is just around the corner and then I look at our schedule. For right now, I think we will have a somewhat tough year next year and then a breakthrough year the next , but then again …………..see what I mean ? Heaven help me.

Reactions: mavcock and Brace1
Wouldn't read much into the "tough year" hype. In terms of winnable games, very similar to last year. We have a tough schedule, but so does the rest of the SEC. This is Year 4 of Muschamp. We should be making strides.

UNC was 2-9 last year with close wins against Western Carolina and PITT.

Charleston Southern is Charleston Southern.

Alabama is a great team but no better than the team we beat in 2010 in Spurrier's 5th year and also is the team that got crushed by our friends. Saban still refers to 2010 as his best team ever from a talent standpoint.

Missouri is on the road this year. They have a new QB (Bryant). Talent-wise about the same.

UK is at our place this year. Snell is gone. We've lost 5 straight. Should be a win this go-around.

UGA is in Athens. They will be ranked highly - but no different than when we played them last year. Whether at home, in Athens, or in Malta - It's a loss. Be very surprised if Muschamp beats Smart & UGA more than once in his USC tenure.

UF is at our place this year. It's a game we should win, but we'll see.

UT is on the road but they are barely better than Vandy. Should be a road win.

Vandy is at home. Muschamp is good at beating Vandy. Win.

App State at home. Should be a W.

A&M on the road. We haven't beat A&M yet but have played them as well on the road as we do at home.

Clemson at home. It's the rivalry game at home and, like UK and UGA, they are looking for 6 straight. More winnable than last year.

-----

Let's go ahead and factor in the loss from BAMA, even though we totally felt like we had a decent chance the last time they visited WB....More winnable games as home this year in UK, UF and possibly Clemson.

If we're worried about trading UT and Missouri on the road for the three aforementioned at home, then yes - it becomes a brutal year.

I not sure but Ray needs to go so we have someone with a clue about hiring coaches. We could easily be hiring all three major sports in the next two years.

The AD should be worried a lot more about BB and baseball than football.

Wouldn't read much into the "tough year" hype. In terms of winnable games, very similar to last year. We have a tough schedule, but so does the rest of the SEC. This is Year 4 of Muschamp. We should be making strides.

Alabama is a great team but no better than the team we beat in 2010 in Spurrier's 5th year and also is the team that got crushed by our friends. Saban still refers to 2010 as his best team ever from a talent standpoint.

Missouri is on the road this year. They have a new QB (Bryant). Talent-wise about the same.

UK is at our place this year. Snell is gone. We've lost 5 straight. Should be a win this go-around.

UGA is in Athens. They will be ranked highly - but no different than when we played them last year. Whether at home, in Athens, or in Malta - It's a loss. Be very surprised if Muschamp beats Smart & UGA more than once in his USC tenure.

A&M on the road. We haven't beat A&M yet but have played them as well on the road as we do at home.

Clemson at home. It's the rivalry game at home and, like UK and UGA, they are looking for 6 straight. More winnable than last year.

-----

Let's go ahead and factor in the loss from BAMA, even though we totally felt like we had a decent chance the last time they visited WB....More winnable games as home this year in UK, UF and possibly Clemson.

If we're worried about trading UT and Missouri on the road for the three aforementioned at home, then yes - it becomes a brutal year.

That looks like 8-4, maybe 7-5 with bad bounces or refs, or 9-3 with good ones and an upset.

Reactions: funktavious
I hope you are right but Champ got here knowing we were short on DB. After 3 years we were more short of DB. So if n.o improvement this year two years from now we are probably looking at empty stadium and having to hire a new head coach to get fan interest back.

how to feel about our football situation. One minute I feel like we are stuck in a rut , the next I feel like we are making some progress. see what I mean?

No! No one can understand what you mean! Try again ... What progress do you see??? That we have options at QB and don't use them??? That we signed 4 DE's and one 3 star RB? Oh! and one 3 star and one 2 star WR's??? What PROGRESS do you see??? Why do you see us pulling off some Big Wins? Because we are South Carolina??? Who are these Big Wins going to come against? Maybe, I just misunderstood. Are you talking about this year???

Last edited:
I think Martin might wiggle off the firing hook next year by winning maybe 19-20 games and finishing high enough in the SEC to get invited to the Dance. That would take some pressure off Ray. But if we Don't Dance, Frank's Had his Last Chance.

Our lines of scrimmage will definitely be better this year. 3rd and short will be more favorable to us this year. Our running game will be better even though we are not better at RB. We weren't very good at TE last year and am hoping Bentley Sr. can improve that position this year. If we can find a TE that can block then our running game will be solid. Bottom line on offense is if Bentley has his best year then we can win 9.

Our defense will be better. Still thin at DB though. Great incoming talent to provide depth. Last year we brought in 3 true freshman to start. Huge difference.

I hope I'm wrong but I see the excuses coming already in football for mediocre results:

This season's excuse: tough schedule

Next year's excuse: rebuilding, new qb

Never ending cycle. Hoping for the best, but expecting the usual results.

I hope I'm wrong but I see the excuses coming already in football for mediocre results:

Until that's proven incorrect, I am of the same mind. Show me - starting in Charlotte - the site of our most recent humiliation.

I think y'all could have a better team than last year and still only win 6 or 7 games against that schedule.

You have to play what could easily be the 3 best teams in the country next year. A&M is probably going to be at least top 15-20 and that's on the road. Florida won 10 games last year in Mullen's first season and are probably more likely to improve than regress in 2019.

If we are setting lines right now i think Bama, @georgia, and Clemson are all something like 17 point spreads (give or take a couple pts), and at A&M and Florida are in the 5-7 range. You can probably expect to win 1 of those 5, but more than that would be a little surprising.

The rest of the schedule is manageable, but a few of those games definitely aren't locks. I think Kentucky takes a big step back in 2019 and that streak likely ends this year, but i wouldn't count on Tennessee being terrible again next year. At Missouri should be a good game. Taking 6 out of 7 here isn't unreasonable, but some of those games that may look like layups (UNC, Tenn, App State) probably aren't quite layups.

Unless Muschamp fields a team that's quite a bit stronger than expected, i think y'all kind of just get done in by the schedule this year. Winning 8 games would easily be the biggest accomplishment of Muschamp's tenure.

Reactions: Sending an SOS

Ding Ding Ding !!! You nailed it . Top programs make changes not excuses .

Reactions: king ward
how to feel about our football situation. One minute I feel like we are stuck in a rut , the next I feel like we are making some progress. One minute I envision us pulling off some big wins next year, then the next I remember the UVA debacle. The one thing I do feel better about is we are starting to have some alternatives at QB but then I wonder if the coaches will even give anyone else a chance until Jake leaves. I try to remain optimistic that some success is just around the corner and then I look at our schedule. For right now, I think we will have a somewhat tough year next year and then a breakthrough year the next , but then again …………..see what I mean ? Heaven help me.
It's the offseason bliss. We hear about all this great improvement the team is doing (on the LOS, at QB, etc.) but none of it matters because it's in practice and there's no real measuring stick. Other teams are surely "making progress" too.

Remember all the great improvement we were doing last year - especially after beating Michigan in the bowl game with our new OC? So believe it when you see it.

On the other hand... Hope springs eternal, and it should be that way. Otherwise life is just misery.

Reactions: USCLaw85
We'll win 6-7 games, go to Shreveport and Ray Tanner will give everyone raises followed by more pleas for money bracketed between bragging about the Palmetto Cup and women's track. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Dang what a bunch of whiners
We have upgraded our talent since Muschamp arrived It takes time to recruit high level players and develop them
We have better talent and depth on defense
The DL. Linebacker secondary
We have depth at QB and OL
We have talent at W R with depth
Most experience and depth throughout that we have had overall on the team in champs tenure
It was never a one or two year fix
Any way post away with all the negative if feel the need
I see positives along with things that need to improve
If you see no positives then so be it

Ding ding ding. Where will all of you be posting the hate and negative if we win ?
Or just jump back on the wagon ?

I think Martin might wiggle off the firing hook next year by winning maybe 19-20 games and finishing high enough in the SEC to get invited to the Dance. That would take some pressure off Ray. But if we Don't Dance, Frank's Had his Last Chance.

What, you channeling Johnnie Cochran now?

Or maybe Jackie Chiles?

Reactions: king ward
We have upgraded our talent since Muschamp arrived It takes time to recruit high level players and develop them
Most experience and depth throughout that we have had overall on the team in champs tenure
Completely agree....and if I didn't know better, I'd think they were all the "I want it now" crew that many ascribed to the Millennial generation.

Reactions: funktavious

AGREE ALSO.....

Reactions: rogue cock
Ding ding ding. Where will all of you be posting the hate and negative if we win ?
Or just jump back on the wagon ?
I'm always on the wagon even when it flips occasionally. I said "hoping for the best". If they prove me wrong I'll gladly admit it. With the players we have returning this is the year to make strides.

Reactions: USCLaw85
So how many wins do you see for next season?

Something else that will follow those excuse seasons will be staff raises. I like Ray but you just can’t reward average results out of fear of losing coaches.

Reactions: sclawman77
Something else that will follow those excuse seasons will be staff raises. I like Ray but you just can’t reward average results out of fear of losing coaches.
Agree totally. Bad message that sends if you're getting rewarded for mediocre results.

You are absolutely correct with every point . However the only thing that matters are W’s and L’s . None of those factors matter if you can’t win big games . So far his track record at both UF and USC is inability to beat good opposition. If that doesn’t change next year it will get ugly .

-----

I believe you need to look a little closer look at UNC’s 2018 performance. They were terrible at winning, but they were competitive in all games but Miami. They had a terrible QB, but have 3 good but inexperienced ones this year. 3, 4,and 5 stars respectively

-lost to Cal by 7 in Berkeley
-beat Western Carolina by 23, not a “close game” as suggested
-lost to UVa by 10 in Charlottesville
-beat Coastal Champ Pitt in Pittsburgh
-lost to Syracuse by 3 in OT at Syracuse
-lost to NCSU in OT
-lost to VaTech by 3
-lost to GaTech by 10
-lost to Duke by 7 in Durham

Just flat out blew games late against Syracuse and VaTech

Last edited:
This team has gotten noticeably better every year under Muschamp. The problem is that the record will not show it. The dumpster fire that was the East a few years ago is over. What might have been with UGA, UF, UT all replacing coaches at the same time a few years ago, but they are all better now

5 games as big underdogs - Clemson, Bama, UGA, UF and A&M (They are 1,2,4,8,11 on the ESPN early top 25)

Mizzu and UK are toss ups - Would call UK a win, but... App would have been here if the coach had not left

5 wins - UT could be and issue, but a lose to any of these would be a very bad sign

If this team is hit with the injury bug like last year, it could go completely off the rails

The 2020 schedule is not much better by the way - replace Bama with LSU

I feel the same way about football. Always have - even when we were winning. With Spurrier, you knew he could come up with a big play on offense, but the defense seemed fragile - especially after Ward took over. I want to see us stay healthy next year and show some aggressiveness on defense. We have some talented players if they can just get on the field. But deep down inside that voice is saying, "they won't win big under Muschamp."

Agree totally. Bad message that sends if you're getting rewarded for mediocre results.

Tanner keeps extending Muschamp because he’s so scared of other schools coming after him. No major P5 school is going to come after a coach who averages 7 wins. Hopefully Tanner won’t be stupid enough to extend his contract again if we only win 6 or 7 games this year, but I won’t be shocked if he does.

This team has gotten noticeably better every year under Muschamp. The problem is that the record will not show it. The dumpster fire that was the East a few years ago is over. What might have been with UGA, UF, UT all replacing coaches at the same time a few years ago, but they are all better now

5 games as big underdogs - Clemson, Bama, UGA, UF and A&M (They are 1,2,4,8,11 on the ESPN early top 25)

Mizzu and UK are toss ups - Would call UK a win, but... App would have been here if the coach had not left

5 wins - UT could be and issue, but a lose to any of these would be a very bad sign

If this team is hit with the injury bug like last year, it could go completely off the rails

The 2020 schedule is not much better by the way - replace Bama with LSU

A few notables from the Dumpster Fire below. Outside of the coaching turmoil, the 2015 Dumpster Fire would have set the 2018 Team on fire.

Deebo Sameul
Skai Moore
TJ Hollman
Jamarcus King
Marquvavius Lewis
Bryson Allen-Williams
Rashad Fenton
Steven Montac
AJ Turner
Ty’son Williams
Mon Denson
Donell Stanley
Zack Bailey
Javen Charleston
Chris Lammons
Chaz Elder
DJ Smith
David Wiliams
Jordan Diggs
Dante Sawyer

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tanner keeps extending Muschamp because he’s so scared of other schools coming after him. No major P5 school is going to come after a coach who averages 7 wins. Hopefully Tanner won’t be stupid enough to extend his contract again if we only win 6 or 7 games this year, but I won’t be shocked if he does.
It will be extended....every coach in the P-5 had their contract extended unless they were being fired. It's just the way it is....if you don't extend it, it sends a message to everyone (including recruits) that the coach has lost the confidence of the administration and is going to be fired. It would destroy recruiting. If you remember, Clemson extended Bowden's just a few months before he "resigned."

I ain't predicting for this season we will be better but we have to be. I'm waiting for the August casualty report before getting too excited BUT if we can dodge off the chart injuries we will be in games at the end and win our share.

Reactions: rogue cock
I know I’ve beaten a dead horse on my feelings about Ray (as AD only, best coach ever, that is becoming tarnished imo) and Boom, but looking from a purely business standpoint we are not getting much roi at the moment, and the Belk Bowl isn’t helping as the last game. Even if Clemson was just average right now, we are 1 and forever against the SEC teams that matter. Certainly nothing accomplished to deserve a raise. And to say it’s to secure, or support your HC is ridiculous. He already had a multi-year contract at $3mm per. He might deserve a pass with this 2019 schedule, but should not get one. He’s had almost one full recruiting cycle under his belt, and player development is still an issue in some areas. Gonna take something this year to spark some interest in this program I think.

I know I’ve beaten a dead horse on my feelings about Ray (as AD only, best coach ever, that is becoming tarnished imo) and Boom, but looking from a purely business standpoint we are not getting much roi at the moment, and the Belk Bowl isn’t helping as the last game. Even if Clemson was just average right now, we are 1 and forever against the SEC teams that matter. Certainly nothing accomplished to deserve a raise. And to say it’s to secure, or support your HC is ridiculous. He already had a multi-year contract at $3mm per. He might deserve a pass with this 2019 schedule, but should not get one. He’s had almost one full recruiting cycle under his belt, and player development is still an issue in some areas. Gonna take something this year to spark some interest in this program I think.
He's had two full recruiting classes. The one he partially inherited when he was hired isn't considered a full recruiting class for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT