ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Feel Like Cracking On Anybody Tonight...

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
I thought our greatly out-manned team played hard and never quit. I thought we played with honor. We must improve the tackling, even if it means bringing in somebody else to teach it. I thought we mismanaged the game on the goal line before halftime, when we still had a chance to be in it and especially in light of the fact we were to receive the second-half kickoff. Hilinski was a soldier and Dowdle was the back we always hoped he would be. As I stated on another thread, this game is not the measuring stick. The indicators lie ahead, save the one on opening day. But tonight, I'm proud of the effort and don't feel inclined to be angry at anyone. We have to go on from here and beat Missouri. We simply have to.

I thought our greatly out-manned team played hard and never quit. I thought we played with honor. We must improve the tackling, even if it means bringing in somebody else to teach it. I thought we mismanaged the game on the goal line before halftime, when we still had a chance to be in it and especially in light of the fact we were to receive the second-half kickoff. Hilinski was a soldier and Dowdle was the back we always hoped he would be. As I stated on another thread, this game is not the measuring stick. The indicators lie ahead, save the one on opening day. But tonight, I'm proud of the effort and don't feel inclined to be angry at anyone. We have to go on from here and beat Missouri. We simply have to.
I liked the do or die effort. Going for fourth downs, fake punts and fake field goals. Our defense got worse as the game went on. Bama punted once/twice?

I loved the effort but were still getting beat by 3 plus TDs. Very little progress since Muschamp second season. Hilinski was great.

Mismanaged was an understatement. And our tackling is terrible. Not upset just kinda confirmed to me that this program is not making progress. Did not expect to beat Bama but did expect to go into the 4th with a punchers chance and it was over middle 3rd.

I am baffled and disappointed at how poor our tackling is.

It’s a basic thing these guys should have been doing their entire lives before playing in college. Or do we/Carolina recruit players who never played football before.

Alabama is a school that is just straight up more serious about football and winning at it then the people in the golden tower at USC is. CoughTANNERcough

Oh, here is this 3rd Carolina guy to try and tackle me........ Let me stall for a split second so he falls down so I can simply jump over him and skip into the end zone......

Last edited:
I am baffled at how poor out tackling is. I would think we recruit players who have been playing football their entire lives. Or do we recruit players on defense who have never played football prior to college?
This is my biggest Hang up. After the 2014-15 season when we hired Muschamp the first thing I told my buddy was we may not win, but we’re gonna be dirty on defense, and I’ve yet to see a solid D. The man coverage today was refreshing though.

I have to disagree with only one of the statements made. "This game was not the measuring stick". If in his fourth season as our head coach, to get blown away by the second-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide, and for a coach to be known as a defensive guy, then this is truly a measuring stick of things to come. Blown assignments and tackling woes fall clearly on the shoulders of the coaches. Someone on that side of the ball should have been fired before this season but yet the missed tackles just keep on coming. Tue would have easily topped 500 yards passing and with probably six touchdown passes had Saban intended to run up the score on USC. I can assure you that "DAT-BOY" will keep his starter in the entire game in November and they will indeed try to curb stomp us as their QB vies for the Heisman Trophy. Winning games against inferior teams mean nothing. The true measuring stick is how one plays against the best. And after four years, we are not even close to being competitive with those seeking national championships every year.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with only one of the statements made. "This game was not the measuring stick". If in his fourth season as our head coach, to get blown away by the second ranked Alabama Crimson Tide, and for a coach to be known as a defensive guy, then this is truly a measuring stick of things to come. Blown assignments and tackling woes fall clearly on the shoulders of the coaches. Someone on that side of the ball should have been fired before this season but yet the missed tackles just keeps on coming Tue would have easily topped 500 yards passing and with probably five touchdown passes had Saban intended to run up the score on USC. I can assure you that "DAT-BOY" will keep his starter in the entire game in November and they will indeed try to curb stomp us as their QB vies for the Heisman Thropy. Winning games against inferior teams means nothing. The true measuring stick is how one plays against the best. And after four years, we are not even close to being competitve with those seeking national championships every year.
You get it. The rest dont.

Reactions: agantt
"Guys who stick thier face in the fan" is I think what Muschamp always says.
Hard to add much....my realization is that us taking all these positives away just means we are a middle of the pack football team.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

King we discussed numerous times in the game thread , the effort is there , the ability isn’t . When five stars face 2 and 3 stars these are the results . If I throw a very hardworking goldfish in a tank of Piranhas then guess who wins . If you don’t have the ability you gotta have a coach that can out maneuver and out coach the other guy and Champ , bless his heart , ain’t never gonna be that guy . Our 2010 that beat Bama was very talented but that Bama team was LOADED . They were miles ahead of us but the Ole ball coach out coached Saint Nick plain and simple . I saw a lot of effort and heart out there today but effort and heart doesn’t beat Elite Athleticism very often . Especially EXTREMELY well coached Athleticism . Do I think Champ will eventually get those type of players to come here ??? Honestly ... Nope . Those kids want to play for the best and right now we are way down the totem pole . Kids like Hillinski and Pickens are great pickups but what some don’t understand is teams like Bama , OSU and Clemson have guys like that sitting on the bench waiting for opportunity. It just is what it is

Last edited:
Jeez, some of you need to have a drink. I saw a team battling yesterday with a true freshman QB in his second start ever. There was poor tackling by our defense and they gave up way too many big plays but we did manage to put some pressure on Tua. We were robbed out of 2 TDs in the first half. In the end we moved the ball very well but couldn't quite finish drives. I think this team gets better as the season continues. We were never expected to beat Bama, UGA, or Clemson this season. We need to beat everyone else though. It all starts at Missouri next weekend

Moral Victory U. Screw that. Thats for losers. This program will never be remotely good with fans who celebrate trying. Tanner loves it.
You, sir, are not a fan. You are a fair weather fan who would find the one bad play if we won the national championship. You don't have to bother responding, you're now on my ignore list so I won't see it anyway

Reactions: tngamecock#
Yes. Agree with pretty much everything except for a few, tackling on that Najee Harris (on 4th and 3) no less play, and the fact that Bama seems to love that route, so why isn’t it covered? Even have a LB hit him reroute his a$$ (like my coaches used to say) and throw off his timing on what has to be a quick pass. The tackling and effort on that play is the players, the lack of fundamentals on D (still) and letting the backs run wide open with no adjustments is coaching. And yes, it was imperative to get a TD before the half, and after the 2nd half kickoff. 24-24 game then. Imagine that. Great post.

People keep talking about poor tackling but other then the Run by Harris I didnt see many missed, I saw wide open receivers blasting past them with no chance to tackle them.

That is the way I feel about it. Cant be mad at anyone, and thought our players gave a lot of effort . Dowdle is running with more polish, attitude and determination than I have seen since his freshman year. Feaster didn't have a productive day , but if Dowdle is better because he is being pushed by Feaster, then so be it.

Very well said, as usual, @king ward .

You should be on the Rivals' big board. You'd fit in well and be an excellent ambassador for your team.

Last edited:
As a 62 year old, 37 year GC and season ticket holder, what impressed me were these aspects from yesterday:

1. The team overall gave outstanding effort and never quit, even to the last TD with less than :10 on the clock. I expect effort, at a minimum, as a fan. Yesterday we got that until the last play.

2. Our Freshman QB, starting just his second collegiate football game against the #2 ranked team in the country, with a HOF defensive minded HC played outstanding. Sure he had a few passes he'd like to have back, but considering all of the above, Hilinski played a hell of a game.

3. The safety positions are getting us killed on a lot of pass plays. Pathetic angles and poor tackling abound.

4. Our coaches tried some ST trick plays, one of which was executed fairly well for a TD, unfortunately called back on a holding penalty.

5. We went for a fourth and short in the second quarter, well on our side of the fifty, and converted. Please shut up about Muschamp being too conservative, in THIS GAME.

6. If USC can get the defense on the same level as THAT offense yesterday, we're pretty damn good by season's end.

My take on this game. USC MUST take this same effort to Columbia Missouri next Saturday, and then against UK in Columbia the next Saturday.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong

Couldn't have said it better my fellow Gamecock brethren... kudos

Go Gamecocks, Go Ryan Hilinski, the O, the D and 3 fingers up!

Reactions: king ward
I this game is not the measuring stick. The indicators lie ahead, save the one on opening day. We have to go on from here and beat Missouri. We simply have to.

Please, at least consider an opposing view.

I believe we may be reacting Today, out of relief that, we did not get massacred yesterday. I wasn't able to watch the game until today, ... after reading all the posts and opinions. Then I watched the game,

The game wasn't nearly as close as the score. Bama scored at will. Their scoring plays were never in doubt. Receivers, runners, blockers, wide open, no one even close to them. They were moving the chains on second down constantly. And they went something like 7 for 9 on 3rd down conversions because they didn't need 3rd down. And there is so much more that is obvious and doesn't need repetition.

Defense is non-existent.

I want the Gamecocks to do well. I believe Hilinski is the real deal.The best I can say is, we didn't embarrass ourselves.

And Ryan is the real deal. Totally different attitude on O with him out there. That pass to Shi was a top 10 play, and Tom Brady couldn’t have made that throw any better.
Ryan definitely proved he deserves to be QB1, the fact is he is only 18 years old and wasn't scared of the Alabama defense full of 5 stars, says a lot about him. Nobody on our team played scared which is a good thing to see.

Game Left me with mixed feelings

Players gave max effort. QB is legit
But....
Overall lack of talent and poor coaching shows me we will be lucky to make a bowl game

Reactions: lostcock
For the people who say we never gave up, I would ask you what the defense was doing exactly on that 4th down pass that became a highlight reel TD. Jones looked like he wanted no part of Harris and made a very half-hearted attempt at the tackle. The defense looked like they were running in mud at several different junctures, and I'm not talking about just the talent differential.

And Ryan is the real deal. Totally different attitude on O with him out there. That pass to Shi was a top 10 play, and Tom Brady couldn’t have made that throw any better.
He might be another Tom Brady in the making. But unless we clean up this defense, which is hard to do midstream, it's not going to elevate this program.

My feelings to a t. Not angry at all, not happy though. Had more bright spots than the UNC game that’s for sure. Tackling is an Achilles heel though. Good Lord it’s awful.
Thats because they need to quit trying ro strip the stinking ball...just take that mofo to the ground hard.

Reactions: king ward

Unfortunately this is how I felt toward the end of the Fat Brad/Sparky days. Proud we gave a good effort but contempt in the fact we just were not good enough. Speaks volumes about where the program is.

damn im proud of you king! sure wish i could say that about others

King we discussed numerous times in the game thread , the effort is there , the ability isn’t . When five stars face 2 and 3 stars these are the results . If I throw a very hardworking goldfish in a tank of Piranhas then guess who wins . If you don’t have the ability you gotta have a coach that can out maneuver and out coach the other guy and Champ , bless his heart , ain’t never gonna be that guy . Our 2010 that beat Bama was very talented but that Bama team was LOADED . They were miles ahead of us but the Ole ball coach out coached Saint Nick plain and simple . I saw a lot of effort and heart out there today but effort and heart doesn’t beat Elite Athleticism very often . Especially EXTREMELY well coached Athleticism . Do I think Champ will eventually get those type of players to come here ??? Honestly ... Nope . Those kids want to play for the best and right now we are way down the totem pole . Kids like Hillinski and Pickens are great pickups but what some don’t understand is teams like Bama , OSU and Clemson have guys like that sitting on the bench waiting for opportunity. It just is what it is
what a load of crap, garcia had an unconscious day and they didnt have an answer for alshon and spurrier lost to kentucky the next week in case you forgot

I have to disagree with only one of the statements made. "This game was not the measuring stick". If in his fourth season as our head coach, to get blown away by the second-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide, and for a coach to be known as a defensive guy, then this is truly a measuring stick of things to come. Blown assignments and tackling woes fall clearly on the shoulders of the coaches. Someone on that side of the ball should have been fired before this season but yet the missed tackles just keep on coming. Tue would have easily topped 500 yards passing and with probably six touchdown passes had Saban intended to run up the score on USC. I can assure you that "DAT-BOY" will keep his starter in the entire game in November and they will indeed try to curb stomp us as their QB vies for the Heisman Trophy. Winning games against inferior teams mean nothing. The true measuring stick is how one plays against the best. And after four years, we are not even close to being competitive with those seeking national championships every year.
hmm, wonder why venables didnt get fired when a crappy team like ours actually threw for over 500 yrds against his defense...yall should actually try thinking before speaking

I loved the effort but were still getting beat by 3 plus TDs. Very little progress since Muschamp second season. Hilinski was great.

Mismanaged was an understatement. And our tackling is terrible. Not upset just kinda confirmed to me that this program is not making progress. Did not expect to beat Bama but did expect to go into the 4th with a punchers chance and it was over middle 3rd.
really? theres about 4 teams that are head and shoulders above everybody else...we might lose to others but we are right in the pack with everybody else...its a different landscape..it is bama uga osu and clemson, then everybody else

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT