ADVERTISEMENT

I forgot that TANNER gave MUSCHAMP a

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
4 year contract extension.

Result: A cumulative record of 17-22 vs. the SEC and only 11-8 vs. mainly weaker non-conference foes.

it's hard for me to understand the need to have ever extended his contract.

Were there other teams knocking down Muschamp's door to hire him away?

There goes $12.9 million we will never see again!

Result: A cumulative record of 17-22 vs. the SEC and only 11-8 vs. mainly weaker non-conference foes.

Really? The single most discussed contract in the history of these boards... You forgot? Dead horse meet club. SMH

The dude is GONE!! Why not just let it die????

Reactions: jimnasium
It was the second extension after a meager 7 win season that really put us in the hole. Muschamp already had 4 years left on his contract at that time and Good Ol' Boy Ray saw fit to extend him again.
Right, because we were poised to go undefeated the following year after failing to score in the second half against Akron and getting hammered by UVA in the Belk Bowl.

But it's water under the bridge now.

Regardless of coach, you have to back him/her that they will be around for all four years that a potential recruit is. Muschamp, Spurrier, Beamer, etc, notwithstanding.

It was the second extension after a meager 7 win season that really put us in the hole. Muschamp already had 4 years left on his contract at that time and Good Ol' Boy Ray saw fit to extend him again.
It's a "rolling contract." It extends annually until stopped....once it stops, the coach is gone...and that also doesn't look good for recruiting purposes. Plus the last one had some concessions to hire the new OC.

It's a "rolling contract." It extends annually until stopped....once it stops, the coach is gone...and that also doesn't look good for recruiting purposes. Plus the last one had some concessions to hire the new OC.

That's not the way this sounds, especially since it was announced that his and other coaches' contracts were approved by the BOT. Did all those other terrible coaches also have rolling contracts as well?

Reactions: rogue cock
I blame that 9 win season on Skai Moore !

This is often overlooked, but he was a key reason we won 9.

I still wonder what happens if Bentley hadn’t found a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against Louisiana Tech that year. If we lose that game, we probably spiral downward like the past few and not even Ray gives an extension. Muschamp might have been gone after 3 years.

Oh well, it happened. Can’t do anything about it now. Now we just have to hope Beamer is something special and shocks the world.

That's not correct. Every extension was negotiated and approved by both parties. There were no automatic extensions.

And the contract happened right after we got BLOWN OUT by UVA in a bowl and humiliated on national television after a horrible season....... (shakes head) How was it approved and allowed?

That's not correct. Every extension was negotiated and approved by both parties. There were no automatic extensions.

Interesting. I stand corrected. I thought there were a couple of years where they simply added the additional year with no other adjustments to the contracts being made.

From my understanding, there are very few of these coaching contracts that can be defined as an "automatic" rollover, but they are simply treated that way by both parties after the appropriate end-of-season "review."

That's not the way this sounds, especially since it was announced that his and other coaches' contracts were approved by the BOT. Did all those other terrible coaches also have rolling contracts as well?
I stand corrected. See my response to Old Wise Cock's post below.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Let it go. We're not an independent anymore and this is not 1990. Auburn just paid $24million to get rid of a coach who won 2/3 of his games. They then doubled assistants salaries that they poached from us.

Tennessee paid $12million to get rid of Pruitt, worst coach in school history who is gonna land them on probation. They extended Pruitt last year and he never had a 9 win season like Muschamp.

If you're piss gonna piss with the big boys, you have to offer up extensions and buyouts that stack up to the rest of the league. Those fan bases don't cry about a buyout. They use the $50 million dollars in tv revenue alone, and pay it, and move the hell on.

Reactions: rogue cock
Let it go. We're not an independent anymore and this is not 1990. Auburn just paid $24million to get rid of a coach who won 2/3 of his games. They then doubled assistants salaries that they poached from us.

Tennessee paid $12million to get rid of Pruitt, worst coach in school history who is gonna land them on probation. They extended Pruitt last year and he never had a 9 win season like Muschamp.

If you're piss gonna piss with the big boys, you have to offer up extensions and buyouts that stack up to the rest of the league. Those fan bases don't cry about a buyout. They use the $50 million dollars in tv revenue alone, and pay it, and move the hell on.

If you don't think Tennessee fans are crying about that Pruitt buyout, you aren't paying attention.

Also, there literally was no one looking to hire Muschamp at that time. USC had zero chance of losing him to another school yet Tanner offered the big bucks anyway. The buyout amounts were insane in context of Muschamp's value on the market and his performance.

No

Unless something has changed, UT didn't pay Pruitt's buyout.

Pruitt was fired for cause Monday for alleged NCAA violations under his watch, according to people at the University of Tennessee with knowledge of the situation. Firing for cause means the university will not pay his buyout.

Unless something has changed, UT didn't pay Pruitt's buyout.

Pruitt was fired for cause Monday for alleged NCAA violations under his watch, according to people at the University of Tennessee with knowledge of the situation. Firing for cause means the university will not pay his buyout.

They think they're gonna get away with not paying it because they fired him "with cause".
No chance. He's already hired a top notch law firm. Ole Tennessee will be writing a fat check for fat Fulmer's awful mistakes.

They think they're gonna get away with not paying it because they fired him "with cause".
No chance. He's already hired a top notch law firm. Ole Tennessee will be writing a fat check for fat Fulmer's awful mistakes.
If being hit with NCAA sanctions is considered being fired for cause in his contract, the best he can hope for is a negotiated buyout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT