ADVERTISEMENT

I know this has been beat to death but I promised a friend I would find out for

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
sure.

Did our WBB team get an official invitation to the WH shortly after winning the NC?s Or was the invitation the backhanded one that supposedly came after the next season started?

I would like to know an official version if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Even if they had been invited the day after, many would have found a reason that they were disrespected by President Trump. Unfortunately many people in this country would tell you now that he has done absolutely nothing positive since taking office, and will always find a reason to be offended no matter when they are invited, what food is served, how many other teams are being honored, etc

Rehashing a subject that has been dug in the ground. How bout ending it before the same stuff is gone over?

It's been gone over more than a dozen times but still didn't know for sure until the poster above answered. I perhaps could have found it in another thread. But this ends it for me. I will convey this information to my friend.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Even if they had been invited the day after, many would have found a reason that they were disrespected by President Trump. Unfortunately many people in this country would tell you now that he has done absolutely nothing positive since taking office, and will always find a reason to be offended no matter when they are invited, what food is served, how many other teams are being honored, etc
That wasn't the question. Staley said the team would have gone. That would have been the end of the story.

sure.

Did our WBB team get an official invitation to the WH shortly after winning the NC?s Or was the invitation the backhanded one that supposedly came after the next season started?

I would like to know an official version if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Here's a story on it. LINK
It's not fake news. It's true.

Reactions: cockylady50
Here ya go:
https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...a/usc-womens-basketball/article185136828.html

South Carolina women’s basketball finally invited to White House, but it’s too late
BY MATT CONNOLLY

NOVEMBER 16, 2017 09:40 PM,

UPDATED NOVEMBER 17, 2017 12:25 PM

South Carolina’s White House invitation saga finally came to an end.

USC released a statement from Dawn Staley on the matter Thursday night following the Gamecocks 66-36 win over Clemson.

South Carolina was invited to the White House earlier this month, but the Gamecocks will be unable to attend.

“We did hear from the White House about attending [Friday’s] event, but we will not be able to attend,” Staley said. “As I’ve been saying since our practices for this season started, all of our focus is on the season ahead. The only invitation we are thinking about is to the 2018 NCAA Tournament.”

The White House is holding Collegiate National Champions Day on Friday. The Florida baseball team is among those that will be honored.

South Carolina has a game on Sunday, with a practice scheduled for Friday.

USC is 3-0 on the season and earned a 94-86 win at No. 15 Maryland earlier this week. No. 4 South Carolina will host Wofford on Sunday.

The Gamecocks won their first national title last season. Staley said in June the team would go if invited. An invitation was reportedly not forthcoming, and after a promise from former Governor Nikki Haley, scheduling still proved problematic.

Nikki Haley actually was the first to mentioned they would get a invitation shortly after the National Championship game...

Then this thing in Charlottesville happened and Dawn made some comment about maybe not wanting to go to the White House and Trump was slow to invite her until both Nikki and Graham asked Trump to invite the team. By the time the invite was extended, it was late September for the date sometime in November...

Nikki Haley actually was the first to mentioned they would get a invitation shortly after the National Championship game...

Then this thing in Charlottesville happened and Dawn made some comment about maybe not wanting to go to the White House and Trump was slow to invite her until both Nikki and Graham asked Trump to invite the team. By the time the invite was extended, it was late September for the date sometime in November...

This is how it went down

Do you have a link to those comments? I haven't seen them and it sounds a lot like people making up excuses.

This is the only article I found on it:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-hoops-coach-no-white-house-invite/106152336/

And here is the only comment that I heard her make on the situation:

"“We haven’t gotten an invitation yet and that in itself speaks volumes,” the women’s basketball coach told The Associated Press in a phone interview on Friday night. “We won before those other teams won their championships. I don’t know what else has to happen.”

Staley said she isn’t even sure her team, which won the NCAA women’s basketball title in April, would go now if invited. The night her squad won the school’s first national championship, the Hall of Famer said the team would go to the White House because “it’s what it stands for. It’s what national champions do.”

That was before “some things,” as Staley put it Friday night, “transpired over the last few months. I haven’t talked to anyone about it. I got bigger fish to fry than worry about an invitation.”

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment."

Do you have a link to those comments? I haven't seen them and it sounds a lot like people making up excuses.

This is the only article I found on it:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-hoops-coach-no-white-house-invite/106152336/

And here is the only comment that I heard her make on the situation:

"“We haven’t gotten an invitation yet and that in itself speaks volumes,” the women’s basketball coach told The Associated Press in a phone interview on Friday night. “We won before those other teams won their championships. I don’t know what else has to happen.”

Staley said she isn’t even sure her team, which won the NCAA women’s basketball title in April, would go now if invited. The night her squad won the school’s first national championship, the Hall of Famer said the team would go to the White House because “it’s what it stands for. It’s what national champions do.”

That was before “some things,” as Staley put it Friday night, “transpired over the last few months. I haven’t talked to anyone about it. I got bigger fish to fry than worry about an invitation.”

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment."
This quote is from September. Charlottesville was August 12. The WBB NC game was April. Just to give some perspective.

giphy.gif

This quote is from September. Charlottesville was August 12. The WBB NC game was April. Just to give some perspective.
If there is a quote from her regarding what has been attributed to her in this (and other) thread(s), it shouldn't be hard to find. I haven't found it....found quite a bit to the contrary though.

Reactions: HI Cock
We were invited right before the next season started, and would be lumped in with 15 other teams. Definitely not invited until later on

Donald Trump welcomes 18 NCAA championship teams to White House
Nov 17, 2017

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump on Friday congratulated college sports champions at the White House, hailing the players as "great athletes."

The White House said 18 NCAA attended the reception; South Carolina's women's basketball team declined the invitation.

Teams including the Texas A&M women's equestrian team, Penn State women's rugby team, and the Washington's women's rowing team gathered around the White House grounds to be recognized for their championships.

Charlottesville was August 12 - 4 months after winning the NC. Your timeline doesn't add up.

Roy Williams did not take his team to the WH that year either due to scheduling conflicts. He was invited before Staley, but won his title the day after Staley's.

The only overtly political WH spat was with the Golden State Warriors, where several players stated they would not go to the WH. Then the president uninvited them on Twitter. Classy.

If there is a quote from her regarding what has been attributed to her in this (and other) thread(s), it shouldn't be hard to find. I haven't found it....found quite a bit to the contrary though.
I wouldn't be surprised if she made some comments about the Charlottesville mess. After all, she was all-world there as a player and was the #1 target for their coaching opening.

I would like to see comments that she made that were directed (or indirectly about) the president. Before or after the NC. Maybe her Twitter.

I wouldn't be surprised if she made some comments about the Charlottesville mess. After all, she was all-world there as a player and was the #1 target for their coaching opening.

I would like to see comments that she made that were directed (or indirectly about) the president. Before or after the NC. Maybe her Twitter.
Considering her position in the top women's sport, I can't believe someone wouldn't have printed her comments....they do anyone else's. Did find this article on her comments regarding politics in sports....and again nothing regarding what has been attributed to her in this thread:

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...a/usc-womens-basketball/article189643114.html

Charlottesville was August 12 - 4 months after winning the NC. Your timeline doesn't add up.

Roy Williams did not take his team to the WH that year either due to scheduling conflicts. He was invited before Staley, but won his title the day after Staley's.

The only overtly political WH spat was with the Golden State Warriors, where several players stated they would not go to the WH. Then the president uninvited them on Twitter. Classy.

Do the time line does add up, Nikki said several times and Graham have repeated that Carolina’s Women’s team would get an invite.

It took awhile until he invited the team with other National Championship teams...

Why worry about it??? They had their opportunity and Dawn chose not to take it...

Even if it was during the start of the season playing nobody teams in November...

Then this thing in Charlottesville happened and Dawn made some comment about maybe not wanting to go to the White House and Trump was slow to invite her until both Nikki and Graham asked Trump to invite the team.
Do the time line does add up, Nikki said several times and Graham have repeated that Carolina’s Women’s team would get an invite.

It took awhile until he invited the team with other National Championship teams...

Why worry about it??? They had their opportunity and Dawn chose not to take it...

Even if it was during the start of the season playing nobody teams in November...
I guess when you say "shortly after" that would mean within a couple of days or a week in April - not several months later.

Whatever Charlottesville had to do with it, I'm not sure, but you're implicating that DS made comments in response to the president's "both sides" comments. And that Dawn's (non-existent) comments were the cause for the delay. Doesn't add up because the invitation had already been delayed by 4+ months. Maybe maybe you're saying it delayed the invite for another couple weeks.

Your last sentence reveals your true feelings (shared by many of those on this board) about the issue - that it was a purposeful snub by DS - for which you have absolutely no evidence.

That is the point: no evidence that Dawn Staley snubbed the president by declining to attend the WH. It's also important to consider that she and her team should have been invited "soon after" winning the NC. Not months later.

Reactions: rogue cock
Exactly. Some people love to be outraged even when they have no idea why.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT