ADVERTISEMENT

I owe some on here an apology.

section907

Sep 16, 2000
to me, many on here appear to be taters. I’m thinking it’s prob more just seeing glass half empty.

Most of the ones I assumed were taters. Tend to post about every game and most of the time during the games. Every game. No way a tater fan would hate USC enough to watch every game and give play by play criticism.

Go gamecocks.

to me, many on here appear to be taters. I’m thinking it’s prob more just seeing glass half empty.

Most of the ones I assumed were taters. Tend to post about every game and most of the time during the games. Every game. No way a tater fan would hate USC enough to watch every game and give play by play criticism.

Go gamecocks.
I think most of us are just fed up with sub-par, less than mediocre men’s sports and coaching.

Go gamecocks.
It a'int easy being us. Learned to live with a lot of disappointment over the years.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Given our overall history, (not to mention current status) is it really surprising to be glass half full kind of fans?

We've been conditioned that way.
It's also a recipe for insanity though when there are over 100 years of history. The idea that we have almost always hired poor coaches in men's sports is a ridiculous notion at this point. Fans want to point to coaching because it's the only variable that they feel they can influence. They don't want to discuss the overall limitations of school resources.

As of today, the reality is that Beamer is one win from being tied for the best start in football ever after three seasons. Paris went 26-8 in his 2nd year and made the NCAA Tournament for one of the few times in history. Kingston has had us in the Top 10 for most of last season and in the Top 20 for most of this year. However, he should probably be let go unless we make a splash in the CWS because of the baseball program's history of success given he's had 5 years.

Any other comparison at this point is The Thief of Joy and runs counter to any basic level of common sense. We'll continue to have our shining moments from time-to-time. It's just not going to be as often as some of the other schools with far more resources.

Personally, I believe because the heightened success is so fleeting at USC, it means alot more when it occurs. Sports is a entertainment diversion. Anyone who is tying any level of overall life happiness to Gamecocks Sports is going to be in for a hard time.

The idea that we have almost always hired poor coaches in men's sports is a ridiculous notion at this point.

The reality is we've hired 3 good coaches in our entire history.

Pretending Beamer, Muschamp, Scott, and Woods were good coaches in bad situations is just being intellectually dishonest. Otherwise, they would have success at other places after us. None of them did nor will Beamer when he's fired next year.

The reality is we've hired 3 good coaches in our entire history.

Pretending Beamer, Muschamp, Scott, and Woods were good coaches in bad situations is just being intellectually dishonest. Otherwise, they would have success at other places after us. None of them did nor will Beamer when he's fired next year.

How many good coaches have we really hired though? Holtz and Spurrier came on their own whim.

This is just one reason why it's not a good idea to spend $10-15mil and churn coaches until you see what they can do over a 5-year or so stretch. Our selection options and process are typically not what the big schools produce.

How many good coaches have we really hired though? Holtz and Spurrier came on their own whim.

This is just one reason why it's not a good idea to spend $10-15mil and churn coaches until you see what they can do over a 5-year or so stretch. Our selection options and process are typically not what the big schools produce.

We've never just churned and burned coaches. That's our problem. We hold on to coaches for too long when it's obvious they won't be successful.

We've literally hired 6 coaches in the last 40 years. You don't get many opportunities to hire a coach and it's so important to hire the right one.

As far as Baseball goes, the bar has been set really really high. Unfortunately for Kingston, that is the case, and he can’t reach it.. Beamer and Paris’s teams are a little less scrutinized IMO!!

Last edited:
We've never just churned and burned coaches. That's our problem. We hold on to coaches for too long when it's obvious they won't be successful.

We've literally hired 6 coaches in the last 40 years. You don't get many opportunities to hire a coach and it's so important to hire the right one.

It's not as if we're swimming in money. Can you provide any evidence that churn and burn is consistently effective? From what I've seen, it's almost always a bust.

We've literally hired 6 coaches in the last 40 years.

If true, that average tenure is above average for football programs nationally. That certainly dispels the "revolving door" comments that sometimes get bantered about.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21
It's not as if we're swimming in money. Can you provide any evidence that churn and burn is consistently effective? From what I've seen, it's almost always a bust.

You don't have to churn and burn once you hire the right coach...

Go gamecocks.
Tater.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123
You don't have to churn and burn once you hire the right coach...
You say we have hired 3 good coaches in USC history and they didn't win anything, so what makes them better than what we have currently? I am assuming we are only talking about football.

You say we have hired 3 good coaches in USC history and they didn't win anything, so what makes them better than what we have currently? I am assuming we are only talking about football.
It's not that they didn't win anything. They in fact won a lot more games than we are currently and in the near foreseeable future.

This is such a weird argument. "We've historically been bad so we should be happy about sucking now."

• Haha
Reactions: Robhawk29
It's also a recipe for insanity though when there are over 100 years of history. The idea that we have almost always hired poor coaches in men's sports is a ridiculous notion at this point. Fans want to point to coaching because it's the only variable that they feel they can influence. They don't want to discuss the overall limitations of school resources.

As of today, the reality is that Beamer is one win from being tied for the best start in football ever after three seasons. Paris went 26-8 in his 2nd year and made the NCAA Tournament for one of the few times in history. Kingston has had us in the Top 10 for most of last season and in the Top 20 for most of this year. However, he should probably be let go unless we make a splash in the CWS because of the baseball program's history of success given he's had 5 years.

Any other comparison at this point is The Thief of Joy and runs counter to any basic level of common sense. We'll continue to have our shining moments from time-to-time. It's just not going to be as often as some of the other schools with far more resources.

Personally, I believe because the heightened success is so fleeting at USC, it means alot more when it occurs. Sports is an entertainment diversion. Anyone who is tying any level of overall life happiness to Gamecocks Sports is going to be in for a hard time.
Please. Isn’t Beamers record right in line with Muschamps? We are back to blaming the schedule before the season starts in football. We back to being happy with 6 wins. We back. lol

Please. Isn’t Beamers record right in line with Muschamps? We are back to blaming the schedule before the season starts in football. We back to being happy with 6 wins. We back. lol

We've reached the point where guys are happy with 5 wins.

Reactions: jonesz21
Just repeat "NIL" over and over and pretend this is the best we can do. With a little effort, I bet you could convince yourself 5 wins is pretty darn impressive.
Yep. That’s the difference between us and Clemson

Well, you may have something there. 5 wins would be 1-2 wins more than I'm expecting. But hoping Sellers and Sanders show out.

We have like 4 guaranteed wins so it only takes one upset to get to 5. Even 6 wins shouldn't be impressive right now.

Record around best in class. Schedule is definitely more difficult this year than we've had in a while. NIL/Portal situation at USC is a disaster -- Death by 1000 cuts.

Like, who guarantees these games? You?

Good point. But those 3 ooc patsies are old dominion, Akron and wofford. If we are thinking we might lose to one of those, then we're basically saying that we have no confidence in this team or staff.

Those 3 and vandy have to be wins we can chalk up ahead of time.

Good point. But those 3 ooc patsies are old dominion, Akron and wofford. If we are thinking we might lose to one of those, then we're basically saying that we have no confidence in this team or staff.

Those 3 and vandy have to be wins we can chalk up ahead of time.
I hope I'm wrong. Those are games we SHOULD win but nothing is guaranteed.

Record around best in class. Schedule is definitely more difficult this year than we've had in a while. NIL/Portal situation at USC is a disaster -- Death by 1000 cuts.
Honestly all that matters is wins and losses. No one cares that Florida and Tennessee were down some when Spurrier beat them. You are defined by your record if you a coach

Honestly all that matters is wins and losses. No one cares that Florida and Tennessee were down some when Spurrier beat them. You are defined by your record if you a coach

And right now Beamer is 2 wins from having the best start ever at USC after over 100 years of playing football.

Do believe in this new era that a coach at USC should be able to overcome the fact they are working with a small fraction of NIL budget versus most other SEC teams?

You have to buy teams now. Any quality SEC player demand money and that threshold to obtain them increases each year. If a school doesn't have that money, what exactly is a coach supposed to do about that?

It would have been nice to have Wells back for his final year. He would have been the top starter on offense. Instead, he's off to Ole Miss to compete against us this season because we couldn't pay him enough.

Until the system changes or we land a windfall of donations, our best comparative in the SEC in football is Mississippi State.

And right now Beamer is 2 wins from having the best start ever at USC after over 100 years of playing football.

Do believe in this new era that a coach at USC should be able to overcome the fact they are working with a small fraction of NIL budget versus most other SEC teams?

You have to buy teams now. Any quality SEC player demand money and that threshold to obtain them increases each year. If a school doesn't have that money, what exactly is a coach supposed to do about that?

It would have been nice to have Wells back for his final year. He would have been the top starter on offense. Instead, he's off to Ole Miss to compete against us this season because we couldn't pay him enough.

Until the system changes or we land a windfall of donations, our best comparative in the SEC in football is Mississippi State.
Miss St has won 8 or more games five out last ten years. Not a bad place to start

Reactions: Ward Jr
As far as Baseball goes, the bar has been set really really high. Unfortunately for Kingston, that is the case, and he can’t reach it.. Beamer and Paris’s teams are a little less scrutinized IMO!!
Beamer's team will quickly become highly scrutinized if he gives us another 5 win season this year, which is a distinct possibility, even a 6-win season will bring in the wolves.

Beamer's team will quickly become highly scrutinized if he gives us another 5 win season this year, which is a distinct possibility, even a 6-win season will bring in the wolves.
I don’t see Vince Lombardi giving this team more than 6-7 wins a year, just so many factors involved. That occasional 9-10 win season will be rare. Just too tough a conference. We can dream though.

I don’t see Vince Lombardi giving this team more than 6-7 wins a year, just so many factors involved. That occasional 9-10 win season will be rare. Just too tough a conference. We can dream though.

A lot of the factors involve the lack of talent on the roster and at both coordinator positions. Both of which are controlled by the HC.

Let's not act like the poor expectations are outside his control.

Talent on the field and on the sidelines is controlled by MONEY. Those with the most money will have the most of both.

It really is that simple,

B

Beamer could win 9 games this year and the crybabies on here wouldn't be happy. They would claim it was huge, "missed opportunity" because if we would have had whatever random coach they incorrectly believed we could have hired, we would have won 11 games.

Some people just hate Beamer no matter what. Every fanbase has those idiots. It's an impossible situation for Beamer with those folks. Reminds me of TDS.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT