ADVERTISEMENT

I remember telling Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only coach I remember that was convinced to stay by the AD was Holtz. From my understanding, Jerri was the only one who talked to Spurrier about staying or leaving. Have trouble believing Tanner would do that considering his own circumstances....he of all people knew what it was like coaching past the time you were ready to get out of it. Just don't see him trying to convince someone else doing something he didn't want to do. Makes the Jerri story much more believable...especially since Spurrier said it was Jerri. Not sure either that Spurrier was ready to quit coaching, he just didn't want to rebuild all over again what he let slip.
Maybe in the next 10 years or so, we'll all hear the real story?

Ray is doing just fine and no we dont need to fire anyone right now. Some people are just plain stupid. These idiots that talk crap about spurrier and ray are complete fools and could not run a company or lemonade stand successfully if their lives depended on it.

Ray is doing just fine and no we dont need to fire anyone right now. Some people are just plain stupid. These idiots that talk crap about spurrier and ray are complete fools and could not run a company or lemonade stand successfully if their lives depended on it.

Ray personally may be doing just fine but or men's athletic department isn't.

This is what a Gamecock Sunshine pumper or Clemson fan would say, but that is just me

USCALUMNI

How so? Again, what has Ray done that shows he has that bad vision as you say? Who has he hired or not fired?

Most of the hatred spewed about Ray is just all speculation about what he will or won’t do.

Well the most glaring example is the process, in its entirety, of "transitioning" from Spurrier in 2015. Completely botched.

And since you asked, I'm still not quite sure why we don't have new blood in men's soccer despite being more or less irrelevant for so long. Berson must have been given a lifetime contract in the 70's. Pre-announce a "farewell tour" season for 2019 to give him his just due, and let's get on with it.

Reactions: ddw1263
A lot to unpack here.

First, I've payed plenty of attention to the hirings of coaches over the years. And Ray had the biggest head start in the country and still chose to outsource to a hiring firm.

As far as Muschamp winning the most games in three years, what's being held against him is only one of those games came against a ranked team -- which proved to be vastly overrated. And Spurrier beat the traditional powers of the East when the East was still pretty good. Can he "do it?" Has he "peaked?" Who knows? I hope he can. But I do know he hasn't out-schemed or outcoached another team to a big win yet. And he still hasn't beaten Kentucky and his closest game against Clemson was a 21 point loss.

I haven't said a single thing about how Ray should have handled Frank prior to this point. You're making a straw man argument there.

Chad wasn't going anywhere after failing to make the playoffs in year 3? At South Carolina? Why? And that's not Ray's fault? How is that?

Should we not expect improvement in how our Athletic Department runs in this day and age? If not, why should we even care about wins and losses? What's the point?

Well, this whole thread started because of Frank Martin and the basketball program. Straw argument?

But we’re never going to agree on all of this so it is what it is. I just know Tanner needs to fire Frank Martin after this season.

Last edited:
First, Ray didn't beg Spurrier to stay. Jerri convinced him to stay.

Agree on Horn and Holbrook. Ray gave his friend, Holbrook, an additional year and he made the super regionals. Had to wait until he whiffed the next year to fire him then.

Spurrier himself said Ray asked him to stay in an interview. Jerri may have wanted him to stay, but it was Ray.

Well, this whole thread started because of Frank Martin and the basketball program. Straw argument?

But we’re never going to agree on all of this so it is what it is. I just know Tanner needs to fire Frank Martin after this season.
Well we do agree on that one. It's sad, because I really wanted Frank to get it done here.

Reactions: Carolina4
Spurrier himself said Ray asked him to stay in an interview. Jerri may have wanted him to stay, but it was Ray.
The only time that Tanner has been mentioned in any report that he asked him to stay was to finish out the season that he quit.....but not prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT