ADVERTISEMENT

I saw my first game at WB 50 years ago this month.

Damn, I didn't think people old as you would be into internet chat boards. Haha.

What do you remember about
The Gamecocks played Maryland. Dickie Harris was a senior and was a star nationally. He played defensive back and was also a punter or kick- off players. He lead the nation in punt returns or kick-off returns (I can't remember which). He also had a lot of interceptions. I don't know if he ranked nationally for that category or not.

USC won the game handily.

It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I sat in the South End Zone and just remembered looking around the stadium and saying to myself, "this is the most prettiest stadium I've ever seen".

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't think people old as you would be into internet chat boards. Haha.
Oh yeah, I keep up with technology as best as I can. Well let just say this, technology that is beneficial to me. LOL! I had to before I retired.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAV31
For some reason I just felt a need to commemorate the event.

EDIT: I've been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but I didn't see my first game at WB until 1971.
I saw my first game 64 years ago. East Stand. Sec 43 Row 17 Seat 8. Game time 8:15 vs Duke. Price $4.25. Hope we won do not remember.

• Wow
Reactions: caughtlookin
I saw my first game 64 years ago. East Stand. Sec 43 Row 17 Seat 8. Game time 8:15 vs Duke. Price $4.25. Hope we won do not remember.
My first college game was Army vs. Wake Forest at West Point. Brian Piccolo was playing for Wake. My first game at WB was Nebraska in '86? Hard to believe, but it ended with a Todd Ellis interception.

Reactions: caughtlookin
The Gamecocks played Maryland. Dickie Harris was a senior and was a star nationally. He played defensive back and was also a punter or kick- off players. He lead the nation in punt returns or kick-off returns (I can't remember which). He also had a lot of interceptions. I don't know if he ranked nationally for that category or not.

USC won the game handily.

It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf at WB. I sat in the South End Zone and just remembered looking the stadium and saying to myself, "this is the most prettiest stadium I've ever seen".
That was the last time we played Maryland on the gridiron. The ACC asked all members to honour the ACC football contracts with USC for 1971. And there have been no more contracts with Maryland ever since.

Reactions: TIGERDAD1252
First game I was 11 years old ... SC lost to Ole Miss 21-0 (09.23.72) ... next year 12 years old and lost a very close game to LSU (33-29) on 10.27.73 ... Jeff Grantz was nearly unstoppable that night ...

First game I was 11 years old ... SC lost to Ole Miss 21-0 (09.23.72) ... next year 12 years old and lost a very close game to LSU (33-29) on 10.27.73 ... Jeff Grantz was nearly unstoppable that night ...
I was at that LSU game in ‘73. We had that game halfway through the 4th qtr. Dang!

I hadn't thought about it until this thread, but mine was 29 years ago this month - USC upset tennessee and Heath Shuler on Halloween.
Was that the one that led to Majors being fired and replaced by Fulmer? I believe it went into OT. I was at that particular game.

Was that the one that led to Majors being fired and replaced by Fulmer? I believe it went into OT. I was at that particular game.

That one was definitely the nail in Major’s coffin.

And it wasn’t quite OT. Tennessee scored a TD with seconds remaining to get within one and then failed on the 2 pt conversion attempt. Was Hank Campbell on the team then? If so, I’m pretty sure he stuffed the conversion attempt.

Reactions: king ward
That one was definitely the nail in Major’s coffin.

And it wasn’t quite OT. Tennessee scored a TD with seconds remaining to get within one and then failed on the 2 pt conversion attempt. Was Hank Campbell on the team then? If so, I’m pretty sure he stuffed the conversion attempt.
It was he.

It was he.
Yes, Hank Campbell was on the team and made the stop on the 2 point conversion. The funny part about that was Hank Campbell was a walk on at the time. UT fans blamed Majors because a walk on made the stop, as if Majors could have done something about that.

Yes, Hank Campbell was on the team and made the stop on the 2 point conversion. The funny part about that was Hank Campbell was a walk on at the time. UT fans blamed Majors because a walk on made the stop, as if Majors could have done something about that.
Who was the player who guaranteed an upset over a favored opponent in a game he wasn't even going to play in due to injury? Was that also Campbell or was that somebody else?

For some reason I just felt a need to commemorate the event.

EDIT: I've been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but I didn't see my first game at WB until 1971.
My first game was in Columbia on November 2, 1963 to watch Carolina take on a winless Tulane team, 20 days before JFK was assassinated. Tulane won that game 20-7, their only win of the season. You would have thought THAT would have been a warning to me not to go to Carolina and become a Gamecock fan. But, I'm a slow learner. As the old adage goes: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
My first game was in Columbia on November 2, 1963 to watch Carolina take on a winless Tulane team, 20 days before JFK was assassinated. Tulane won that game 20-7, their only win of the season. You would have thought THAT would have been a warning to me not to go to Carolina and become a Gamecock fan. But, I'm a slow learner. As the old adage goes: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
I didn't attend that game but I remember it sadly to say. Here's the bad part, after Tulane won that then made Wake Forest have the longest losing streak in the nation. A few weeks after the Gamecocks lost to Tulane they then played WF and lost that game.

Reactions: gamecock stock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT