ADVERTISEMENT

I think Coach got convinced that...

the-iceman

Jan 30, 2001
his passing game won't work unless the QB can run a la Connor shaw. He may be right but what's happening can't go on and he's got to take it back on his shoulders. I think he ceded the offense to Mangus and Elliott and Jr. by saying I don't like this running QB offense so y'all run it til you need a pass play, then call me. Problem is, his pass plays are built on sequence and are reactionary to defensive patterns of play calls, so his pass plays don't follow any flow nor are they called with the same kind of purpose and scheme in setting up the other team for a later play call. All that is to say, he needs to reclaim the offense, if Nunez can't run it then give it to Orth or Scarnecchia but what we've done the past 3 weeks with Nunez is not an offense. Still think tools are there to be competitive but not with the current offensive structure (or lack of it). If Coach won't run the offense then why keep coaching, that's really the main thing he likes doing.

Go cocks! Find a way. Don't give up. Never, ever....EVER give up.

Do you really think Orth or Scarnecchia can fix what's wrong with this program right now?

I think Orth can run the offense as well as Dylan did, yes. Save the program, not by himself but he won't have to. Just run a real offense instead of this hodge podge. At least give the offense a chance. And Nunez just can't yet in my opinion. Orth knows it.

I think Orth can run the offense as well as Dylan did, yes. Save the program, not by himself but he won't have to. Just run a real offense instead of this hodge podge. At least give the offense a chance. And Nunez just can't yet in my opinion. Orth knows it.

So Orth gives us our best chance to get back to Shreveport? You may be right...but that does nothing for me. Might as well play for the future.

We aren't playing for the future. What we are doing with Nunez won't look any better 2 years from now.

So you'd rather go 3-9 this year instead of 6-6? Nunez needs time to learn and he can play next year or the next.

Our o line doesn't know what they're blocking for which is at least part of why they look so bad.

Good post. Without a good SEC RB, we have no chance to run the offense that Mangus likes. Put too much on the QBs shoulders today and it showed (right now, he cannot throw at all...needs to play situationally) . They're playing scared on O and D and its unwatchable.
No Fun or Gun. Its really sad because I've loved watching him call the plays for so long.
I think, if Wilds comes back strong, the offense is fixable. However, unless Hoke starts benching the rest of the softies that still plague our defense, they won't stop the Citadel. They play like they're scared to hit somebody, scared to bust an assignment. The latter is correctable, the prior only by the bench. Watch these other teams! They fly to the ball like maniacs! Ever since Ward took over, our defense plays like they're playing in a flag league. Its embarrassing. It would go a long way to firing at least one D (I'm in favor of Ward and Botkin now, Adams after the season)assistant right now because by bringing everybody back after the worst D in Carolina history, that sent a message of zero accountability.

Reactions: GamecockFanFirst
We don't have the players to go 6-6. We are playing for 3-9 or4-8 weather we want to or not.

I agree with the idea of what the-iceman is saying.
Coach Spurrier has let Elliott and Mangus recruit for and take over our offense and now we are stuck with and endless stream of running QB's that don't fit what Coach Spurrier likes to do.
Unfortunately it's too late now to change that up and we are stuck with Mangus and Elliott and a running QB system until Coach Spurrier hangs it up because he likes them and will not change.
I for one hope that is at the end of this year.

Now wait just a minute.

I don't necessarily think Elliott is a great offensive line coach. But the problem with this offense is Spurrier. No one else. And it has always been that way.

It's late in the season to put in a whole new passing tree, but this make three or four reads and find the open guy doesn't work anymore. At least for us. If we had an offensive line like Stanford had under Harbaugh, or LSU always has maybe. We cannot protect long enough, nor run block well enough to make this system work.

But we have some half-ass conglomeration of SOME spread running plays, with a passing game that is still pretty much stock Spurrier. It definitely isn't some one read, then take off system (and there are a lot of teams with gaudy passing stats that do just that). It isn't even the air raid level of simplicity. If you have to go to your third checkdown in that system, you did it all wrong.

I choose to believe that what we saw on the field today is Spurrier. Or maybe Junior, but Spurrier could have called that mess pretty easily. The only games I know for sure GA called are quarters one and three of Kentucky last year.

Guys, do any of you remember the offense from 2005 to 2009? The same problems that offense had are still there. They got hidden by Garcia and Shaw running the ball. Garcia eventually got crushed by Spurrier's Sith mind tricks, but Luke... I mean Connor shook him off and took off running a lot.

Put Nunez in an Art Briles offense, heck put him in an Auburn uniform and we see a big difference in how he plays. (And Auburn would be really happy too)

What you see is the way it is going to be until Spurrier hangs it up. Nunez will look as mystified throwing next year as this if we have the same staff next year.

Now wait just a minute.

I don't necessarily think Elliott is a great offensive line coach. But the problem with this offense is Spurrier. No one else. And it has always been that way.

It's late in the season to put in a whole new passing tree, but this make three or four reads and find the open guy doesn't work anymore. At least for us. If we had an offensive line like Stanford had under Harbaugh, or LSU always has maybe. We cannot protect long enough, nor run block well enough to make this system work.

But we have some half-ass conglomeration of SOME spread running plays, with a passing game that is still pretty much stock Spurrier. It definitely isn't some one read, then take off system (and there are a lot of teams with gaudy passing stats that do just that). It isn't even the air raid level of simplicity. If you have to go to your third checkdown in that system, you did it all wrong.

I choose to believe that what we saw on the field today is Spurrier. Or maybe Junior, but Spurrier could have called that mess pretty easily. The only games I know for sure GA called are quarters one and three of Kentucky last year.

Guys, do any of you remember the offense from 2005 to 2009? The same problems that offense had are still there. They got hidden by Garcia and Shaw running the ball. Garcia eventually got crushed by Spurrier's Sith mind tricks, but Luke... I mean Connor shook him off and took off running a lot.

Put Nunez in an Art Briles offense, heck put him in an Auburn uniform and we see a big difference in how he plays. (And Auburn would be really happy too)

What you see is the way it is going to be until Spurrier hangs it up. Nunez will look as mystified throwing next year as this if we have the same staff next year.

Great post. Every single year without Connor Shaw at qb we've lost at least 5 games. We should have had a a dual threat ready to go last year to replace him. Instead, we wasted time while SOS tried to relive his "Fun n' Gun" days, and now here we are with no offensive identity.

Here is a question- why not put guys in motion get mismatches and have multiple guys in the backfield? We have nothing that looks like an offense. We have to try something different

i agree the Garcia/shaw years where spurrier started his new offense is the problem. He lost confidence in his old system which is a shame because I still think a smart QB with 2 years in his system, a stout RB, 2 smart wr and a decent TE can still run his old scheme with success.

i agree the Garcia/shaw years where spurrier started his new offense is the problem. He lost confidence in his old system which is a shame because I still think a smart QB with 2 years in his system, a stout RB, 2 smart wr and a decent TE can still run his old scheme with success.

See, I totally disagree with this. I don't think he could duplicate his success at Florida if he were there now.

There was a post here today, that got ignored, by some Georgia fan speculating that defenses built to stop spread teams also performed very well against what Spurrier did on offense. I kind of think he is right.

It's funny, but all the pro set teams (and I formation) teams I can think of now, are all known for power running and smash mouth, not passing trickeration. Maybe you can think of an example somewhere, but I can't.

It's not hard to see. Without wilds we have no rushing game and Nunez is not a great or even a decent passer. This is what i suggest. Just quit complaining and watch us fold like a cheap tent and win 4 games this year. There is no quick fix since this staff has put us here . we need some major overhauling of we want to be a winning program again.

He was never so much about passing trickeration as he was about match ups and timing and a stout running game. And he needed a good defense too.

Round peg....square hole offense and defense.....playing an NFL defense against a college offense and running a read offense with a pocket passer.....or an option QB.....yea...that looks 6-6 to me.....NOT !

O line turns around and looks at our running back who has just been nailed. They don't know how to run block. This zone blocking doesn't work. Watch Alabama block for their backs. They fire out, trap and blow people off the line. We suck.

Reactions: PC31 and big9cock
O line turns around and looks at our running back who has just been nailed. They don't know how to run block. This zone blocking doesn't work. Watch Alabama block for their backs. They fire out, trap and blow people off the line. We suck.
Just watched UF's OL create holes for their RBs and had beautiful pockets for Grier to view the field. And this was against an Ole Miss defense that Bama struggled against.

Reactions: big9cock
Just watched UF's OL create holes for their RBs and had beautiful pockets for Grier to view the field. And this was against an Ole Miss defense that Bama struggled against.

Bama scored 37 points on Ole Miss, so I wouldn't say they struggled. But I agree Florida looked good on offense tonight, better than they did against Kentucky and UT.

Reactions: big9cock
Great post. Every single year without Connor Shaw at qb we've lost at least 5 games. We should have had a a dual threat ready to go last year to replace him. Instead, we wasted time while SOS tried to relive his "Fun n' Gun" days, and now here we are with no offensive identity.

Every "both years"? We haven't lost 5 yet this year (but it's coming.)

Spurrier cannot coach the type offense being run in today's game. Without a pro style qb and our Oline issues, we are doomed until he leaves.

Every "both years"? We haven't lost 5 yet this year (but it's coming.)

We will have 5, maybe 6 before you go trick or treating.

I think what the op meant is that every year before and after connor, Spurrier has put 5 in the L column.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT