ADVERTISEMENT

I think WBB is about to go on a UConn/UCLA type run

Cocky 45

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2019
Columbia, SC
Multiple national titles, 100 game win streaks, I am thinking 5+ titles this decade easily. Only two seniors on this years team, no one and dones in WBB, Dawn is just getting started. What say y'all?

Multiple national titles, 100 game win streaks, I am thinking 5+ titles this decade easily. Only two seniors on this years team, no one and dones in WBB, Dawn is just getting started. What say y'all?

I think the chances of something like this playing out are very strong. This team is dominant and very deep. Easily the best team in women's basketball this season. And three of the starting five are freshmen. Scary. Perhaps even more impressive, there seems to be zero drama with this team, and despite all the talent, they seem to be having fun with no evident locker room pouting about playing time, or lack of same. A true credit to Dawn and her staff.

As soon as Coach Staley took over HC responsibilities for the US Women's Olympic team, my thought was that she was positioning herself to have long term Auriemma or Krzyzewski-like success.

Of course, Staley's Gamecocks play in the SEC - the toughest women's basketball conference in the land, unlike Auriemma's Huskies, who play in that joke of a conference, the American Athletic. Be that as it may, there is no team within striking distance of USC this season. Upsets happen, but there is every reason for optimism that this team brings home a National Championship this season, and perhaps multiple championships over the coming years.

They are on the first leg of a dominant run. But the kind of run you're referencing is no longer possible. About 10 programs are making big investments in wbb. Those programs have great coaches and are recruiting well. Also the transfer portal, will keep those top 10 rosters stocked and highly competitive. Dawn's crew will likely win 2 or 3 nattys in the near future. But you will not see the kind of dominant UCONN achieved ever again.

I think South Carolina has a chance to be good for several years when you look at the freshmen and sophomores on this roster. The key will be the recruiting class for the year after next. This year's class will be small because most kids saw that USC was stacked and chose to sign elsewhere. Barring a grad transfer, USC will have just one signee and the Littleton kid who had to sit out this year. Key for next year is replacing everything that Ty Harris gives USC. Certainly plenty of talent with the likes of Littleton, Cooke, Henderson, but the intangible decision making/game awareness of Ty will be tough to replace. Kiki has stepped up big time this year. Amihere has potential to be really good (remembering she missed last 2 years of high school), but will still have to make a big leap next year. It took Kiki 3 years to be really good.

For this year: USC is obviously one of the top 4 teams in the country. They could certainly win it all, and they have faced a ton of tests this year. BUT, there are several other teams that are just as good IMO and have a good chance to win it all. Oregon is really good, efficient, and they play in a good league as well. There are some very good teams in the PAC 12 this year. A healthy Baylor team is capable of repeating as champions as well. There are several other teams that if they get hot, I think can do damage. Among them, despite their loss the other night, I think Miss. State is a Final Four caliber team. They certainly played great vs USC here and USC could not contain Danberry. I also harken back to the 2016 USC team that was upset in the Sweet 16. USC was coming off a Final Four in 2015 and played a Syracuse team (whom I believe they stomped earlier in the year) that got hot at the right time and made it all the way to the title game.

Unlike years past when UCONN was unbeatable, there are more teams that are closer talent-wise. UCONN is down by their own standard. Stanford and Louisville are other teams that can make a run this year IMO.

Hoping USC can keep it up and they certainly have talent to be good for a while if they continue to add to the roster (and not have a lot of misses like they did that first year after 2017). Go Gamecocks!

Titles are not won easily and a 100 game win streak is next to impossible. Uconn won about 70 of those games in the AAC, not going to happen in the SEC. A final four is a major accomplishment, and anything can happen in a single game, so I would say multiple final fours and several National Championships - but not a Uconn like streak.

This is going to sound crazy, but it’s my opinion. Dawn is an outstanding coach, but I think she will solely determine whether our program reaches the “dynasty” level...

1) She knows how to recruit TALENT. To stay at the top for an extended period of time, you have to out recruit your competition, and I think she has proven that - especially these last 3-4 years.

2) She has built the right CULTURE. To sustain long periods of championship teams, a winning culture must be established, the teams must have chemistry, and recruits must want to come to our university. I think Dawn has done a great job of this.

3) A dynasty not only requires great talent, but it also requires incredible COACHING. I believe this is the biggest question mark still remaining. I believe Dawn is an incredible coach, but I think she still has some runway to improve with in game decisions. Aside from talent gaps in the past, I think this was one of the reasons that Geno has had more sustained success. In other words, if you put two teams on the floor with the exact same talent, I think Geno would out coach Dawn. I think the potential for greatness is there, but experience trumps all. The faster Dawn gains that wisdom and experience, the quicker and more likely we sustain long term excellence.

We are in the right path. We just need to keep building on our momentum and let time and experience prevail.

Just my opinions for what it’s worth...

They are on the first leg of a dominant run. But the kind of run you're referencing is no longer possible. About 10 programs are making big investments in wbb. Those programs have great coaches and are recruiting well. Also the transfer portal, will keep those top 10 rosters stocked and highly competitive. Dawn's crew will likely win 2 or 3 nattys in the near future. But you will not see the kind of dominant UCONN achieved ever again.
I hope they do better than "nattys".

Reactions: FORKCOCK
To add to everyone's point, it's also been Dawn's ability to allow the offense to evolve & improve over time. They have had numerous games this year where they've scored over 90+ points. That would have been unheard of just a few short years ago when the team would struggle just to score 70 points a game.

There has been a lot more movement on offense, more cutting to the basket, pick & rolls, isolations, etc. Not to mention warp speed fast breaks. I was always hoping Dawn's "philosophy" on offense would improve from the ole 'dump it in the post no matter what' type of offense, but I never imagined her team would one day look this good & this fluid scoring the basketball.

Schedule is too tough for that kind of run. Plus basketball hinges on hot shooting a lot of times. So you can always run into THAT team. We barely beat Miss St at home this year. Too close for comfort. But I like where we are at. Especially in women’s hoops where they stay all four years.

Schedule is too tough for that kind of run. Plus basketball hinges on hot shooting a lot of times. So you can always run into THAT team. We barely beat Miss St at home this year. Too close for comfort. But I like where we are at. Especially in women’s hoops where they stay all four years.
Do they? Depends somewhat on their age, does it not? Also depends on the poaching through the portal.

I love the enthusiasm of the OP, and I love the team. But wow, I just don’t see a UConn type run of a hundred wins and 3-4 straight titles with an occasional bump in the final four. Not coming out of a tough conference like the SEC. Not with other great programs becoming established at other schools like Baylor. And not with Geno still coaching. Seriously, we have only been ranked number one for half the season so far, and we have one (glorious) title in the books. I’m not sure anyone, even UConn, could go on another run like that.

I’m not being pessimistic about this - that’s not my style generally. But I would be thrilled if we just keep pushing, we become regulars in the final four, and we win a title occasionally (or a little more than occasionally). And I think that’s the ceiling. But a pretty nice place to be. :)

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
Do they? Depends somewhat on their age, does it not? Also depends on the poaching through the portal.

More likely than any other major sport. Backups? Yeah they are likely to transfer nowadays. But not the starters. And I don’t think the women leave early to go play pro ball right?

More likely than any other major sport. Backups? Yeah they are likely to transfer nowadays. But not the starters. And I don’t think the women leave early to go play pro ball right?
Not as frequently yet. It's coming. You don't win championships with starters alone.

What is your advice for Coach Staley regarding the in-game decisions?

This is going to sound crazy, but it’s my opinion. Dawn is an outstanding coach, but I think she will solely determine whether our program reaches the “dynasty” level...

1) She knows how to recruit TALENT. To stay at the top for an extended period of time, you have to out recruit your competition, and I think she has proven that - especially these last 3-4 years.

2) She has built the right CULTURE. To sustain long periods of championship teams, a winning culture must be established, the teams must have chemistry, and recruits must want to come to our university. I think Dawn has done a great job of this.

3) A dynasty not only requires great talent, but it also requires incredible COACHING. I believe this is the biggest question mark still remaining. I believe Dawn is an incredible coach, but I think she still has some runway to improve with in game decisions. Aside from talent gaps in the past, I think this was one of the reasons that Geno has had more sustained success. In other words, if you put two teams on the floor with the exact same talent, I think Geno would out coach Dawn. I think the potential for greatness is there, but experience trumps all. The faster Dawn gains that wisdom and experience, the quicker and more likely we sustain long term excellence.

We are in the right path. We just need to keep building on our momentum and let time and experience prevail.

Just my opinions for what it’s worth...

I believe we will be a top ten team for the foreseeable future, win multiple championships and go to many Final Fours. The SEC is not quite as strong as it was when UT, UGA and LSU were all elite. As far as next year's team, the biggest question is who will be the leader. Even though she will only be a sophomore, I think it will be Aliyah. She just has "it" and she has leader written all over her.

Don't jump the gun so quickly OP. (11 nattys, a bunch of those titles consecutive) those types of prominence is over in WBB. Staley will get her's for sure. But, talent is getting better and spreading out to many different programs. Plus, this generation is to fickle

Remember this; after finishing #4 in the nation in FB, we thought we were on the brink of greatness. Then USC happened.
I’m enjoying this season, this run, and watching these ladies dominate. I’m confident in CDS, but things happen when you’re a Gamecock fan. I’m going to enjoy the moment but not let myself look too far ahead.

Don't jump the gun so quickly OP. (11 nattys, a bunch of those titles consecutive) those types of prominence is over in WBB. Staley will get her's for sure. But, talent is getting better and spreading out to many different programs. Plus, this generation is to fickle
Another guy who says "nattys".:rolleyes:

Reactions: FORKCOCK
This is crazy, UCONNs run might be the greatest run ever in any sport . We haven't done anything yet that comes close to it.

Reactions: king ward
I think this is likely as good or maybe even the best team Staley has had here while also paying respect to A’ja and the teams of the past! I think we will make multiple final four appearances over the next four years and will win one or more titles. This team certainly has the”it” factor going for them as teammates. One observation I have had over the years that has changed this year (I have not seen all the games but have seen quite a few) is the use of the bounce pass in getting the ball down low both on fast breaks and in half court. I think this might be attributable to Cooke and Henderson’s tendencies more than being coached. I think that little change has contributed to our success a bit. In the past it seems like we have always “gone over the top” consistently— with success mostly but not always. I heard Dawn (and would never second guess her really), criticize them for doing it a few games back. She’s forgotten more than I will ever know, but it just seems like there has been more diversity in our approach to offense this year, primarily due to the super talented freshmen and really all of them. LeLe and Saxton and Henderson have been awesome. It has been delightful to watch!

OMG. We finally beat UCONN - once. Now, we are the next UCONN.

Let's win the title THIS year before we start talking about 100 game runs and 5 titles in a decade.

We have a very good team and a bevy of young talent. We are ranked number 1 but somebody above said "we are clearly the best team in the country." I doubt that people in Baylor or four PAC teams would agree. We deserve our number one ranking, but that doesn't mean we are clearly the best.

Somebody else said we are the best team in the best conference. I doubt anybody who knows wbb would agree with that. The PAC looks like it is "clearly" the best.

Go Dawn. Let's get one this year. Then we'll worry about getting three in a decade.

BTW, UCONN has a recruiting class coming in next year that may rival our freshman class this year.

I think South Carolina has a chance to be good for several years when you look at the freshmen and sophomores on this roster. The key will be the recruiting class for the year after next. This year's class will be small because most kids saw that USC was stacked and chose to sign elsewhere. Barring a grad transfer, USC will have just one signee and the Littleton kid who had to sit out this year. Key for next year is replacing everything that Ty Harris gives USC. Certainly plenty of talent with the likes of Littleton, Cooke, Henderson, but the intangible decision making/game awareness of Ty will be tough to replace. Kiki has stepped up big time this year. Amihere has potential to be really good (remembering she missed last 2 years of high school), but will still have to make a big leap next year. It took Kiki 3 years to be really good.

For this year: USC is obviously one of the top 4 teams in the country. They could certainly win it all, and they have faced a ton of tests this year. BUT, there are several other teams that are just as good IMO and have a good chance to win it all. Oregon is really good, efficient, and they play in a good league as well. There are some very good teams in the PAC 12 this year. A healthy Baylor team is capable of repeating as champions as well. There are several other teams that if they get hot, I think can do damage. Among them, despite their loss the other night, I think Miss. State is a Final Four caliber team. They certainly played great vs USC here and USC could not contain Danberry. I also harken back to the 2016 USC team that was upset in the Sweet 16. USC was coming off a Final Four in 2015 and played a Syracuse team (whom I believe they stomped earlier in the year) that got hot at the right time and made it all the way to the title game.

Unlike years past when UCONN was unbeatable, there are more teams that are closer talent-wise. UCONN is down by their own standard. Stanford and Louisville are other teams that can make a run this year IMO.

Hoping USC can keep it up and they certainly have talent to be good for a while if they continue to add to the roster (and not have a lot of misses like they did that first year after 2017). Go Gamecocks!
I don't think that is the case. I believe the WBB programs are allowed 13 scholarships. She has 12 players on the roster and 2 of them are walkons. She also has 2 seniors on the team. She could potentially bring in 5 new players next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT