ADVERTISEMENT

I think we’re living in the worst time ever to be a Gamecock

Tall Squirrel

Nov 1, 2019
One might could argue the early 80s (81-83), or the early to mid-90s (90-95). We simply are not good at any of the most important 3. This time, I believe, is worse because clemson is the most dominant force in college football right now to top off our shittyness. It also makes matters worse because we’ve tasted baseball titles, real football strength, & a final four.

For me, personally, I don’t know if I’ve ever been this dejected as a Gamecock.

It was this bad in the 90s. Football was bad that decade, baseball fell off the map at the end of the Raines Era, and other than a 3 year stretch, basketball was awful. However, as TS said, at least Clemson wasn't at the top of the hill.

It was this bad in the 90s. Football was bad that decade, baseball fell off the map at the end of the Raines Era, and other than a 3 year stretch, basketball was awful. However, as TS said, at least Clemson wasn't at the top of the hill.

Yes, this is the worst time ever to be a Gamecock. At least since I've been a Gamecock fan circa, 1960.

Meh. Being a Gamecock is about lots more than football scores.

I’m a Gamecock and I’m always going to be a Gamecock. I don’t back down.

i know it’s hard to appreciate right now but our kids are having success in lots of sports not called football.

I could have gone to Clemson but I didn’t. I already went to high school!

To me 1993 was possibly the worst.

Gamecock basketball in Foglers first year recovering from Fig Newton. Loses to George Washington, Campbell, Old Dominion, BYU, Coastal. Barely survived S.C. State!

Gamecock football-says 5-6 but we were 4-7 but win the Alabama “forfeit”. Lost 3 close games that could’ve made it a decent season...a lot like this year.

Gamecock baseball....we made the tournament but we weren’t very good and we were fixing to embark on a 5 year journey of not making the NCAA tournament

Reactions: Brace1
One might could argue the early 80s (81-83), or the early to mid-90s (90-95). We simply are not good at any of the most important 3. This time, I believe, is worse because clemson is the most dominant force in college football right now to top off our shittyness. It also makes matters worse because we’ve tasted baseball titles, real football strength, & a final four.

Hang in there. See my post above about 1993

With Clempson being on top of the world and our big 3 down with no improvement in the foreseeable future is the worst I've seen it since the early 80's when I started following CAROLINA.

Last edited:
Things are bad, for sure. I'm normally a pretty optimistic guy, but my give a damn is almost busted. Of course the Clemson dominance on a national level exacerbates the misery, but looking at Carolina sports across the Big 3, there seems little to be optimistic about.

At least in the 90's we had competent leadership in the AD office.

You might argue that the early to mid 80's were worse from the standpoint of institutional stability (Holderman was mad as a hatter, we had three men's basketball coaches, three football coaches and two women's basketball coaches on the payroll at the same time thanks to contract disputes and firings).

Have to agree given the state of our men's programs, Clemson's football dominance and our tasting success in football and basketball (final four) in the last ten years. The biggest problem now is I don't think we have any evidence to be hopeful.

We've had a lot of dark times in football as everyone old enough knows. But back then our rival was only just better than us. Now they are in a different galaxy so it feels much worse.
Clemson’s huge success has really added to our feelings. A winning season in the past gave us a smile on our face and each year we had a ‘hope’ of beating CU and going to a bowl. Now we are in the same state as a school that goes to the NC every year and we have losing records in most men’s sports. Yeah...kind of depressing!

Last edited:
Yeah, that was a rough stretch.

Take up golf. You will experience a level of dejection that will render what you are feeling now trivial.

Not even close 1999-2000, at least won sec 1996-1997 (E. Fogler). You’d think winning consistently in bb sec wouldn’t be so difficult, but .....idk.

Yes we are and here’s why . Spurrier proved that with the right coaching and winning culture we can win big here . He proved the people wrong who said USC would never have success . When he left we still had a chance to do big things and our inept baseball coach made possibly the dumbest hire in SEC history . This decision will set us back at least 10 years if not more . Before Spurrier we kinda just expected mediocrity and embraced it . It almost feels like we did a weird time skip over the Lou and Spurrier years and we landed back in the mid nineties and we didn’t even need a flux capacitor and a Delorean , just an idiot AD and a dolt of a coach . Buckle up boys , ain’t looking much better the next few years .

Take up golf. You will experience a level of dejection that will render what you are feeling now trivial.
Great analogy.....cost alot, took up a lot of time, and could never perform well. I quit golf, guess I should quit the gamecocks. I'll just watch on TV...that's what I do with golf!

It’s always been pretty bad to be a Gamecock except between like 2010 to 2013. Spurrier threw a program together when he first got here built for one good run, which we had. then he set things in cruise control and we coasted into a dumpster fire and he retired mid season.
Muschamp accepted the task of getting us back on track. But things haven’t looked to great. Hopefully this BoBo hire will get the offense scoring some points. Maybe bring in some big talent and depth.

My thing is coaches come and go. We as fans are here forever and shouldn’t settle for a staff that sucks. I’m not ok with the football team getting blown out by ACC teams, losing to junior colleges and getting blown out by Clemson. Seasons like last season was a national embarrassment and shouldn’t be tolerated by fans. Yet I think we have the only fanbase that will accept such performance because they think if we don’t then we aren’t being loyal.

Last edited:
...I could have gone to Clemson but I didn’t. I already went to high school!
I enjoy picking on Clemson for their agricultural / A&M history and rural location as much as anyone, but we need to at least occasionally face reality.

They are generally ranked higher than we are academically in the national college and university rankings.

Go to the archives and check the 60s, terrible records, but the fans loved their Gamecocks.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I agree this is the worst.

1. I have zero faith in the leadership.
2. Clemson's success.
3. No light at the end of the tunnel.

Muschamp will indeed be fired. What's so disheartening is we will be sitting here next year (or god forbid) the year after and we will have known the entire time what was coming; yet the people that are entrusted to know better and are paid millions to do so are clueless.

3i4lbe.jpg

Always the darkest right before dawn fellow Gamecocks. (Not sure that pertains to USC sports though)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT