ADVERTISEMENT

I was there Saturday- Observations

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
The Game

• Sellers looked like a redshirt freshman QB without experience. Being at the game, he had a number of open RBs and tight-ends open in the flat. He didn't didn't throw the ball or was off-target when he did. He did have nice touch on the deep ball in the 1st half that was dropped. But overall, he was way high most of the game, and the most troubling thing was he was so late (like really late) on most every pass, even ones he completed. He never looked comfortable at all.

• The offensive line-well- just looked bad. It never looked good. It looked overwhelmed, especially on the edges. I tried to watch the unit as a whole as much as I could. My impression was that they quite honestly seemed slow. Some were having a hard time getting up off their knees before the 1st quarter was over. Just not impressed.

• I really hate to say it, but the wide receivers were the worst looking group on the field. I also tried to watch them way down the field and I could understand why Selles didn't want to throw the ball to them. Maybe that is why he looks so late so much- he likely has no confidence in them. I saw nothing from the unit that looked promising. They simply can't get separation. It's like they were running with a short rope tied on to the defensive back, like a boat pulling kids on a tube. Almost as bad, they don't look that athletic running-as if they are giving it 100% effort but it's just not enough. I don't think this can be solved this season.

• I thought the defense played hard. I saw some good stuff from them, and we have some really good speed on the edges. Linebackers, as a group, look like they have a lot of talent. I'm not sure what to think of the secondary. I saw some very poor decisions, but I also saw some nice plays.
Game Experience

For fans, it was hot. Saw a man taken away by an ambulance pre-game outside the stadium after laying on the ground for a while being tended to by responders. I suspect a number of folks were in the same position. It was a nice crowd but wasn't full.

After not having attended a game in person in a number of years (after having season tickets for about a decade), the atmosphere outside the stadium is much improved. The Gamecock Village area (or whatever it's called) is very nice and there are a lot of things going on over there that are fun for the fans. I enjoyed hanging out in the area near the band as they played a number of songs at a pep rally sort of thing. That was fun to see.

We have a lot of fat fans. Letting people in and out of their seats was tough. There are some folks that are way too big trying to sit in those seats.

USC, the police, the city could really, really use an over the road cross over from the fairgrounds over George Rogers to the stadium. That sure would be nice for everyone involved and make the job of police a lot easier. Probably could do the same thing over Bluff Rd but there didn't seem to be as much traffic there when I walked across.

Final words: I am not sure who the people are that are driving down Bluff Rd. right outside the stadium an hour or two before the game who are clearly not going to the game. I imagine it's the same people who don't know what day of the week it is or aren't sure if they are in Columbia or Charleston. But you deserve to have to sit, stopped by police, while the band and hundreds of people cross the road in front of you.

and NO THANKS to the SCDOT efforts to block traffic on Bluff Rd at the I-77 interchange to prevent people from driving toward Charlotte on I-77- forcing everyone to head toward Cayce on I-77. That made ZERO sense and was an absolute mess- and was totally unnecessary. It turned what would have been slow but still moving traffic into a parking lot.

Last edited:
Oh- and I am not sure I understand the folks that get to their seats, typically in the middle of the row- and within 10-15 minutes are having to get back out and go back down- somewhere. Have no idea where. A few people on my row and the row in front of me must have got up and down 6-7 times during the game to head out. At least a few times, they came back with food. I can only assume they couldn't go more than a quarter without eating.

Only heard one fan in the stands getting over the top with language. He was yelling at someone a section over (the guy he was yelling at was ignoring him- never said a word back) using some pretty rough language during the weather break. Finally, a guy near me stood up and yelled at the guy to knock it off. Thankfully, the guy did and sat down. The odd thing was- he seemed like he had his wife or a girlfriend with him. She was quiet. I felt sorry for her having to deal with that guy.

I was about to text stadium security because he was so over the top with the cursing and a few others said they were about to do the same.

oh- one more thing

I heard someone say last night that Sellers has been practicing against a defense that we've heard has been winning all the practice battles against the offense and that doesn't exactly make a QB feel good.

I think that might explain a lot. That sure would explain why he didn't look comfortable, except when he was running the ball.

He can't run as much as he did yesterday or he will get injured. He took some hard hits in that game- including a head butt that should have been called when he was on the ground.

The Game

• Sellers looked like a redshirt freshman QB without experience. Being at the game, he had a number of open RBs and tight-ends open in the flat. He didn't didn't throw the ball or was off-target when he did. He did have nice touch on the deep ball in the 1st half that was dropped. But overall, he was way high most of the game, and the most troubling thing was he was so late (like really late) on most every pass, even ones he completed. He never looked comfortable at all.

• The offensive line-well- just looked bad. It never looked good. It looked overwhelmed, especially on the edges. I tried to watch the unit as a whole as much as I could. My impression was that they quite honestly seemed slow. Some were having a hard time getting up off their knees before the 1st quarter was over. Just not impressed.

• I really hate to say it, but the wide receivers were the worst looking group on the field. I also tried to watch them way down the field and I could understand why Selles didn't want to throw the ball to them. Maybe that is why he looks so late so much- he likely has no confidence in them. I saw nothing from the unit that looked promising. They simply can't get separation. It's like they were running with a short rope tied on to the defensive back, like a boat pulling kids on a tube. Almost as bad, they don't look that athletic running-as if they are giving it 100% effort but it's just not enough. I don't think this can be solved this season.

• I thought the defense played hard. I saw some good stuff from them, and we have some really good speed on the edges. Linebackers, as a group, look like they have a lot of talent. I'm not sure what to think of the secondary. I saw some very poor decisions, but I also saw some nice plays.
Game Experience

For fans, it was hot. Saw a man taken away by an ambulance pre-game outside the stadium after laying on the ground for a while being tended to by responders. I suspect a number of folks were in the same position. It was a nice crowd but wasn't full.

After not having attended a game in person in a number of years (after having season tickets for about a decade), the atmosphere outside the stadium is much improved. The Gamecock Village area (or whatever it's called) is very nice and there are a lot of things going on over there that are fun for the fans. I enjoyed hanging out in the area near the band as they played a number of songs at a pep rally sort of thing. That was fun to see.

We have a lot of fat fans. Letting people in and out of their seats was tough. There are some folks that are way too big trying to sit in those seats.

USC, the police, the city could really, really use an over the road cross over from the fairgrounds over George Rogers to the stadium. That sure would be nice for everyone involved and make the job of police a lot easier. Probably could do the same thing over Bluff Rd but there didn't seem to be as much traffic there when I walked across.

Final words: I am not sure who the people are that are driving down Bluff Rd. right outside the stadium an hour or two before the game who are clearly not going to the game. I imagine it's the same people who don't know what day of the week it is or aren't sure if they are in Columbia or Charleston. But you deserve to have to sit, stopped by police, while the band and hundreds of people cross the road in front of you.

and NO THANKS to the SCDOT efforts to block traffic on Bluff Rd at the I-77 interchange to prevent people from driving toward Charlotte on I-77- forcing everyone to head toward Cayce on I-77. That made ZERO sense and was an absolute mess- and was totally unnecessary. It turned what would have been slow but still moving traffic into a parking lot.
Based on what you said about the OL, I question what our Strength and Conditioning Coordinator has been doing. I was surprised that he and our OL coach Teasley did not lose their jobs after last season. Beamer might have gambled his job on them.

Thanks for your honest update on your new game day experience. What did you think inside the stadium atmosphere was like?. Before the lightning delay. 2001 and train entrance. We dodged a huge bullet having the big cloud over head. Bluff rd hasn’t changed in 20 plus years. I’m good with it. It’s my out to Greenville. It’s quicker.

My 2cents. I thought they should have cancelled half time band after the long delay. That was useless - especially with threats of weather still in the area. They didn’t need two 30 min breaks . Maybe they wanted to keep band parents in the stadium a little longer. I’ve been through one before and 1/2 time was like 5-10 min tops.

We have four rows of aisle seats. Best seats ever. Makes letting peeps in and out a breeze. Plus can fit extra people in when needed.

I’m 35 and had a heat stroke at 33; it literally took me 11 months to get over that. Plus, any type of hot weather, my body literally cannot take it. I don’t know how some people deal with it.

I’m 35 and had a heat stroke at 33; it literally took me 11 months to get over that. Plus, any type of hot weather, my body literally cannot take it. I don’t know how some people deal with it.
Sorry to hear that. You are too young to go through that. Be careful to take care of yourself.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Thanks for your honest update on your new game day experience. What did you think inside the stadium atmosphere was like?. Before the lightning delay. 2001 and train entrance. We dodged a huge bullet having the big cloud over head. Bluff rd hasn’t changed in 20 plus years. I’m good with it. It’s my out to Greenville. It’s quicker.

My 2cents. I thought they should have cancelled half time band after the long delay. That was useless - especially with threats of weather still in the area. They didn’t need two 30 min breaks . Maybe they wanted to keep band parents in the stadium a little longer. I’ve been through one before and 1/2 time was like 5-10 min tops.

We have four rows of aisle seats. Best seats ever. Makes letting peeps in and out a breeze. Plus can fit extra people in when needed.

They couldn't. There were a few hundred high school band students there yesterday that played with the USC band on the field at halftime. If they had canceled their performance, that would have made 30-40-50 band programs mad across the state. Plus, I thought they sounded good. If the team played as well as the band did, we'd have won by 3 touchdowns.,

plus, the way we were playing, I think we needed all the breaks we could get.

and I imagine, tv has halftime scheduled out. You mess that up, you mess up lots of stuff for them too.

Reactions: PC31
The Game

Game Experience

Thank you for your Synopsis. Enjoyable reading.

Nick Harbor=track star, Calvin Johnson build, completely MIA on a football field

At the game, you can watch him and see it just doesn't come naturally to him and I don't think it ever will. The coordination just isn't there.

If it did, they could have easily got the ball to him 2-3 times on the very first drive and let him turn short passes into longer ones.

Reactions: sclawman77

EC -

Some ideas for this:
+ Heat intolerance at your age very well could be due to low B vitamin and methylation status. In particular, thiamine (B1) is a root cause.
+ Low Vitamin D is another driver.
+ Hyperthyroid would be the other angle. However, I doubt you had that issue at 33.

Potential Fixes:
+ Eat Grassfed Liver - Either 1oz a day or 4oz twice a week. (US Wellness Meats)
+ Take Methyl- B vitamins (Amazon) (if you can't eat liver and/or on days you don't)
+ Take extra B1 from a high quality supplement like Thiamax
+ Take 5000-10000IUs of a vitamin d3/k2 liquid. (Thorne is good)
+ Check Thyroid status with the old fashion way (Thermometer under arm) after a month if you decide to try this
https://dannyroddy.substack.com/p/demystifying-thyroid-supplementation

All of these recommendations should help energy with many more thing beyond heat intolerance as well.

Nutritional Therapy is far better than Medication Therapy. Your body knows what to do with nutrition.

*Not medical advice.

Last edited:
At the game, you can watch him and see it just doesn't come naturally to him and I don't think it ever will. The coordination just isn't there.

If it did, they could have easily got the ball to him 2-3 times on the very first drive and let him turn short passes into longer ones.
The 49ers tried putting Renaldo Nehemiah on the field. One of the fastest, most athletic men who ever lived (multiple Olympic medals). But somehow the cleats, the pads and helmet, and holding the ball, he was suddenly slower and less agile than a backup O-lineman. It just didn't work. On the other hand, Bob Hayes made it work.

Reactions: DeeDave
EC -

Some ideas for this:
+ Heat intolerance at your age very well could be due to low B vitamin and methylation status. In particular, thiamine (B1) is a root cause.
+ Low Vitamin D is another driver.
+ Hyperthyroid would be the other angle. However, I doubt you had that issue at 33.

Potential Fixes:
+ Eat Grassfed Liver - Either 1oz a day or 4oz twice a week. (US Wellness Meats)
+ Take Methyl- B vitamins (Amazon) (if you can't eat liver and/or on days you don't)
+ Take extra B1 from a high quality supplement like Thiamax
+ Take 5000-10000IUs of a vitamin d3/k2 liquid. (Thorne is good)
+ Check Thyroid status with the old fashion way (Thermometer under arm) after a month if you decide to try this
https://dannyroddy.substack.com/p/demystifying-thyroid-supplementation

All of these recommendations should help energy with many more thing beyond heat intolerance as well.

Nutritional Therapy is far better than Medication Therapy. Your body knows what to do with nutrition.

*Not medical advice.
UK fan here . Thank you for posting this .

Reactions: cockn'fyr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT