ADVERTISEMENT

If an SC grad reported on Clemson players inaccurately

If they got it wrong on bad information, fine. That sucks and it's not responsible journalism, but it is what it is.

But I'd like to see an article of equal exposure from them acknowledging their false reporting and apologizing to the wrongly accused. I sickens me that newspapers, politicians, teachers, cops, lawyers, etc. can ruin a person's public image with no consequences. A bar fight in 5 points is a relatively mild example, but it shows you how easily a hack newspaper can destroy lives if they want to.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Fine. Do we agree that the writer was NOT instructed by the police to not publish the police report?

I think when the police tell a reporter the witness account wasn't credible or confirmed, one could reasonably infer the police were suggesting that the newspaper ought not to run the piece. At least, by making such a comment, they would have been suggesting this to any reputable news outlet. But here we are dealing with Josh Kendall ethics. So it was yippee kayay, let's sell some papers with sensationalism.

Reactions: rogue cock
If they got it wrong on bad information, fine. That sucks and it's not responsible journalism, but it is what it is.

But I'd like to see an article of equal exposure from them acknowledging their false reporting and apologizing to the wrongly accused. I sickens me that newspapers, politicians, teachers, cops, lawyers, etc. can ruin a person's public image with no consequences. A bar fight in 5 points is a relatively mild example, but it shows you how easily a hack newspaper can destroy lives if they want to.
I get the Greenville News online and there was an article today from the same reporter (guess GN decided to carry it), pretty much defending everything he initially wrote. They aren't going to admit to any wrongdoing.

I think when the police tell a reporter the witness account wasn't credible or confirmed, one could reasonably infer the police were suggesting that the newspaper ought not to run the piece. At least, by making such a comment, they would have been suggesting this to any reputable news outlet. But here we are dealing with Josh Kendall ethics. So it was yippee kayay, let's sell some papers with sensationalism.
Eventhough a newspaper is hard to beat in court on this matter, I would love for a firm like Motley Rice to go after them and make the State and McClatchy sweat a little. This is a case and circumstances that could make them sweat.

Eventhough a newspaper is hard to beat in court on this matter, I would love for a firm like Motley Rice to go after them and make the State and McClatchy sweat a little. This is a case and circumstances that could make them sweat.
I know you really, really want it to be some sort of intentional persecution, punishable by law, but it's really nothing of the sort. As a lawyer, I'd expect you to know this. Police file report. Newspaper publishes report. That is literally the entire story. No law firm is going to waste a second of time on something like that.

I know you really, really want it to be some sort of intentional persecution, punishable by law, but it's really nothing of the sort. As a lawyer, I'd expect you to know this. Police file report. Newspaper publishes report. That is literally the entire story. No law firm is going to waste a second of time on something like that.
As I previously noted, hard to win these cases against newspapers even when they outright lie...but you did leave out one key element: Police tell reporter that individuals are not actual suspects. And you never know what a jury will do.

Reactions: fightingcock103
...Police file report. Newspaper publishes report. That is literally the entire story...
Except for sensationalizing it by adding the part about the "victim" being a Marine war vet and feeding it to ESPN as fast as he could.

The Greenville news would never hire a USC grad to report on Clemons...Plus their editors would kill any hit pieces before it got to press...For some reason our top brass thinks being the major University in the state, means we should tolerate this kind of crap..I feel the opposite is true..I have always believed USC should buy that awful rag and give it to the School of Journalism as a teaching project

AMEN TO THAT!!! But, won't happen. Clemson has a lot of newspaper and radio hacks on the take. They've been doing this since the 70's for sure. Just ask Herman Helms. That dude made a living at the State trashing USC st every opportunity.

The Greenville news would never hire a USC grad to report on Clemons...Plus their editors would kill any hit pieces before it got to press...For some reason our top brass thinks being the major University in the state, means we should tolerate this kind of crap..I feel the opposite is true..I have always believed USC should buy that awful rag and give it to the School of Journalism as a teaching project
The Clemsux News in Greenville SUCKS! Yes, it sucks and is Pathetic! I hate everything associated with that POS for twenty years. And by the way, Furman isn't even the Upstate by the way they non report anything good. Yes, occasionally they will give USC positive press, but they kiss that redneck orange a$$ to the hilt!

Reactions: rogue cock
At this point, going on about it is just making it worse. It has been publicly stated that Deebo and Skai are clear. Sucks it happened but I'd guess the damage to their reputation is pretty minimal given they've been completely exonerated. Hopefully this will make the paper and cops more careful in the future. Minor incident we should move on from IMO

The only tater stories released are from tater insider dot com. That fan base takes after its Sheeps heritage. One leader, everyone else follow. Even stories from grille news are repost from tater insider. No self opinionated stories or they lose their jobs.

Who cares if this "victim" is a Vet? I'm one too, and I separated when I was about his age, and one thing I learned from being a Vet is to have a shred of self-discipline at all times, and not go around starting $&@&&@ bar brawls

In the spirit of the thread title (excepting Bart is not a Carolina grad) there was a pretty good thread on another Gamecock site (I won't link here) from early 2011 stating he wrote a less than flattering article about Dabobo and that he (Bart) would be fired eventually. How right they were. Of course, some Tates think it because of something or things he wrote about George Zimmerman. Doubt it. Clemsin fans live in a vacuum where they believe 18 year old 4-5 stars actually want to live in a sleepy little town, everyone farts sunshine, and Clemsin Football is their only raison d'être....kinda sad actually

Actually the Greenville News employs numerous USC grads. Rudy Jones who recently retired was a USC grad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT