ADVERTISEMENT

If expansion is about footprint, why is SEC not focused on Miami, rather than Talahassee or Clemson?

bigsirspur

Nov 12, 2012
I think Miami could thrive in an era with very few rules. Look at what they did during the Jimmy Johnson era. Huge media market (esp for a small private school). Nothing against Talahassee or Clemson (I'm fine with either joining), but if it is markets you want . . . .

In truth, the ACC implemented its own poison pill. They bound each other to an exit fee to stop the bleeding years back. That pill must be starting to taste pretty bad for some of these schools that have an opportunity to do something else. TV money will go to B1G and SEC.

Expansion isn't the same this time. It is more about getting the power teams. The SEC probably prefers clemmy over Miami.

• Sad
Reactions: LakewoodCock
I don’t think it’s footprint as much as money. FSU has been able to maintain their brand much better than Miami has since joining the ACC. There is still a perception that FSU can be competitive which A&M helped promote with the coaching move. Miami just isn’t seen as any kind of draw anymore.

Many of Florida's best recruits are leaving the state. This is why Miami, FSU and UF are not what they used to be. Some bad coaching hires at Miami and FSU contributed also.

Expansion isn't the same this time. It is more about getting the power teams. The SEC probably prefers clemmy over Miami.
I think you might be right. Clemson vs. Alabama and Texas v. LSU mid season games will get eyeballs from all over the country. It's basically the Notre Dame value proposition, which never had anything to do with the South Bend market or the size of the ND alumni base. That is a real change of thinking, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

I don’t think it’s footprint as much as money. FSU has been able to maintain their brand much better than Miami has since joining the ACC. There is still a perception that FSU can be competitive which A&M helped promote with the coaching move. Miami just isn’t seen as any kind of draw anymore.
Exactly. Miami doesn't have have the alumni base to be considered. Nobody even attends their games last I saw.

Reactions: vehemon and Dizzy01
I checked on line just a minute ago and there was absolutely no discussion of Clemson to the SEC going on. The money to get out of the ACC would be an impediment for any ACC school. Check behind me if you want to.

Exactly. Miami doesn't have have the alumni base to be considered. Nobody even attends their games last I saw.
Exactly right. Miami has a sorry fan base that has never shown up for the college game. They hardly show up for the Dolphins. Their fan base is spread all over the US. It is not a venue the SEC should consider. FSU on the other hand packs 80000 I'm their stadium every Saturday
and is more like an SEC fan base.

Reactions: mannblack
Exactly right. Miami has a sorry fan base that has never shown up for the college game. They hardly show up for the Dolphins. Their fan base is spread all over the US. It is not a venue the SEC should consider. FSU on the other hand packs 80000 I'm their stadium every Saturday
No disrespect, but you are focusing on an outdated model. As we all know attendance has been dwindling for CFB for several years now. The reasons have been discussed/debated, but the facts do point out this is a trend.
So the main qualifier would be "eyes on the tv set" whether it be broadcast/cable/streaming. FSU is not there.
I can't recall the source (apologies) but I read that Miami had several of the most watched games on ESPN.
Not saying that sways anyone who makes the decisions, but that would be a factor to consider.

No disrespect, but you are focusing on an outdated model. As we all know attendance has been dwindling for CFB for several years now. The reasons have been discussed/debated, but the facts do point out this is a trend.
So the main qualifier would be "eyes on the tv set" whether it be broadcast/cable/streaming. FSU is not there.
I can't recall the source (apologies) but I read that Miami had several of the most watched games on ESPN.
Not saying that sways anyone who makes the decisions, but that would be a factor to consider.
Not saying you are wrong (I don't know), but it is difficult to envision a model where people are tuning in to watch poorly-attended games. My theory about Miami is that the new Wild West era we clearly are entering will breathe life into "the U." But if attendance can be bad and ratings are still high, then this all becomes studio wrestling. In fairness to your point, however, as a kid I watched a lot of studio wrestling.

Reactions: caughtlookin
According to Paul Finebaum, there has been some talking going on. I doubt anyone involved wants to make it public yet.
Talk:

Sankey: Hey, FSU and Clemson, is there any chance you can get out of that Grant of Rights before 2035?
FSU: Not a chance, we are locked up tighter than the Unabomber at Supermax.
Clemson: Yeah we would be there is a heart beat but lawyers say it would cost $600,000,000.
Sankey: Oh well, let me know if anything changes.

Reactions: chief2791
They have really good attendance for Jai Alai, a much more popular sport than football in Miami.

Reactions: rogue cock
It isn't about TV footprint anymore, it is about brand and eyes that may follow that brand. At one time when Miami was "The U" they had a brand and would have been attractive. But they lost that almost 20 years ago and haven't found it again. The folks in Miami don't even care.

It isn't about TV footprint anymore, it is about brand and eyes that may follow that brand. At one time when Miami was "The U" they had a brand and would have been attractive. But they lost that almost 20 years ago and haven't found it again. The folks in Miami don't even care.
Honestly, I don't think the folks in Miami cared 20 years ago. The U is close to Miami, but definitely isn't a part of it, geographically or culturally, and its a relatively small university.

Reactions: midline
I have lived in Florida.for 40 years and people here are either Gators or Seminoles. There is a rare appearance of a Miami fan flag, tag or sticker, but rare. Where I live is not close to either of the three. Miami, if in South Carolina would be equivalent to Furman in popularity. Harvard, maybe the figures you saw were skewed because nothing else was on TV at the time.

I have lived in Florida.for 40 years and people here are either Gators or Seminoles. There is a rare appearance of a Miami fan flag, tag or sticker, but rare. Where I live is not close to either of the three. Miami, if in South Carolina would be equivalent to Furman in popularity. Harvard, maybe the figures you saw were skewed because nothing else was on TV at the time.
Not sure if Furman is the same, but over 50% of Miami students are from OOS and they also have a pretty high percentage of foriegn students. I've understood that Miami is not that popular of a school for Florida residents.

I have heard the University would rather not be a major football power, than to repeat the glory days of "thug U" during the Jimmy Johnson era.

Talk:

Sankey: Hey, FSU and Clemson, is there any chance you can get out of that Grant of Rights before 2035?
FSU: Not a chance, we are locked up tighter than the Unabomber at Supermax.
Clemson: Yeah we would be there is a heart beat but lawyers say it would cost $600,000,000.
Sankey: Oh well, let me know if anything changes.

Not so fast, one could argue that without Clemson and Florida state the The media rights of the ACC would drastically decrease. Furthermore espn can come back to the table after two teams leave and could say your worthless to us now good day so long.

Not so fast, one could argue that without Clemson and Florida state the The media rights of the ACC would drastically decrease. Furthermore espn can come back to the table after two teams leave and could say your worthless to us now good day so long.
All that could be true, but they would still own Clemson and FSU's video rights until 2035 if they came to the SEC.

Reactions: chief2791
I have lived in Florida.for 40 years and people here are either Gators or Seminoles. There is a rare appearance of a Miami fan flag, tag or sticker, but rare. Where I live is not close to either of the three. Miami, if in South Carolina would be equivalent to Furman in popularity. Harvard, maybe the figures you saw were skewed because nothing else was on TV at the time

1. If you're living north of Orlando I will agree with you, start heading south and the appearance of UM apparel starts becoming more pronounced.
Not that school apparel has anything to do with conference expansion.

2. That is stretch to propose that argument, and of course there is no way ,or certainly not worth the effort to research, of either opposing or supporting that statement.

2. That is stretch to propose that argument, and of course there is no way ,or certainly not worth the effort to research, of either opposing or supporting that statement.
I did read that back in the day Florida made more off Tim Tebow's jersey sales alone than all of the other Florida school's merchandise combined. Tebow has to be wishing his college career were starting now, can you imagine the NIL money he would get?

I think Miami could thrive in an era with very few rules. Look at what they did during the Jimmy Johnson era. Huge media market (esp for a small private school). Nothing against Talahassee or Clemson (I'm fine with either joining), but if it is markets you want . . . .

In truth, the ACC implemented its own poison pill. They bound each other to an exit fee to stop the bleeding years back. That pill must be starting to taste pretty bad for some of these schools that have an opportunity to do something else. TV money will go to B1G and SEC.

Definitely. Miami, USC, UCLA & Texas, in particular, should surge.

I did read that back in the day Florida made more off Tim Tebow's jersey sales alone than all of the other Florida school's merchandise combined. Tebow has to be wishing his college career were starting now, can you imagine the NIL money he would get?

He would have made a boatload. His signed jersey was going for north of $500.

Although, he doesn't seem like a guy who is overly concerned with money. All about purpose.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
I think Miami could thrive in an era with very few rules. Look at what they did during the Jimmy Johnson era. Huge media market (esp for a small private school).
Miami had success when they were signing a fair number of thugs who would be arrested for stepping foot on campus if they weren't a player, Schnellenberger started the trend and they followed the blueprint to a lot of success. The number of high draft picks they had during their run was incredible. But that success came with lots of issues.

Their President stated basically that if they had to sign that caliber of student to field a football team they'd cancel the program.

I was responding to the OP's question of why the SEC should focus on Miami not FSU. Miami fan base is much smaller than the other major universities including UCF in Orlando. As far as conference expansion, my argument is they would add nothing to the conference so why should the SEC bother? FSU on the other hand adds much more, larger TV audience, bigger fan base, better facilities etc. This is all JMHO of course. I just know from experience having been here for such a long time.

The SEC is not focused on FSU, Clemson, or Miami. Neither of those schools brings anything to the SEC table.

Reactions: lostcock
Not sure if Furman is the same, but over 50% of Miami students are from OOS and they also have a pretty high percentage of foriegn students. I've understood that Miami is not that popular of a school for Florida residents.
Well, another big difference is Miami is a private school and FSU and UF are public.

Miami tuition = $52,000 per year
FSU in-state tuition = $6,381 per year
UF in-state tuition = $5,656 per year

As I am sure you can see, many in-state residents would be drawn to UF or FSU if only for the dramatically lower cost.

Another interesting comparison....South Carolina in-state tuition = $12,688 per year

Keep Clemson out!
With our luck they join with a seasoned vet at QB and somehow win the SEC in their first year. You could never talk to a tater ever again.
Dont worry, Clemson is not going anywhere they have to strap it on every week. I think they are real happy being 12-0 or 11-1 every year. They waltz into the payoffs well rested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT