ADVERTISEMENT

If I’m Jake Bentley...

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I’m graduating this year and transferring to a high powered offense in the AAC or something. Kid has no chance here. Only chance he has is to go somewhere else and show that he was held back by playing on a Will Muschamp coached team like Jeff Driskel. He may very well just suck, but his only shot to show otherwise is to go elsewhere. And the fans at SC won’t complain if he does. To me it makes too much sense for Jake.

It would set up awkward family holidays and dinners, if your father's boss doesn't want you to transfer

If I'm Jake, I'm asking Pops for some money to buy some more football Jug machines, since we don't seem to have enough and our receivers cant catch consistently during games.

I'm not sure what machine helps Jake throw consistently.

Reactions: gcobob
I’m graduating this year and transferring to a high powered offense in the AAC or something. Kid has no chance here. Only chance he has is to go somewhere else and show that he was held back by playing on a Will Muschamp coached team like Jeff Driskel. He may very well just suck, but his only shot to show otherwise is to go elsewhere. And the fans at SC won’t complain if he does. To me it makes too much sense for Jake.

All this is way over the top. Over reaction at its best. Just let things play out

Wish I had the ban button. I would hit right now. Maybe you suck, but unless you go to another board we may never know. It could be your only shot to show us if your just plain stupid or dumbest poster alive. I think it’s the latter.

Why are you blaming Muschamp. Did Bentley just have too much time to throw the ball? Did Muschamp do something to make Jake underthrow his receivers. This was Jake's doing, not Muschamp, except for the 4 dropped passes. Those were on the receivers. But the interceptions were on Jake.

Reactions: rogue cock
Why are you blaming Muschamp. Did Bentley just have too much time to throw the ball? Did Muschamp do something to make Jake underthrow his receivers. This was Jake's doing, not Muschamp, except for the 4 dropped passes. Those were on the receivers. But the interceptions were on Jake.

I’m not blaming Muschamp. I’m not blaming anyone. Just pointing out he hasn’t played well and his only chance is to go somewhere else and prove himself because this system isn’t working out for him. I’ve supported him all along. Personally I just want it to work out for Jake. He could probably dominate at that level and build some confidence.

But I’m not the only person that realizes no QB has ever played well for a Muschamp coached team. Not blaming him...but the possibility exists.

I’d love nothing more than to see Jake turn it around here and play well. But the longer this thing goes, for some reason things are not clicking.

Last edited:
Wish I had the ban button. I would hit right now. Maybe you suck, but unless you go to another board we may never know. It could be your only shot to show us if your just plain stupid or dumbest poster alive. I think it’s the latter.

You can always block me. Any objective thoughts? I mean, he wouldn’t be the first QB to leave to ever transfer. Gamecock fans certainly don’t appreciate Jake. Not sure why you think it’s such a dumb thought. Will it happen? Absolutely not. But part of me wishes Jake would say screw everyone that turned on him because I believe he can be a decent QB.

I mean...how dumb is this thought? Sure as hell worked out for Jeff Driskel. I bet he didn’t think it was dumb. Not sure if you are assuming I’m saying Jake needs to go...I’m not. I firmly believe Jake is our best option at QB and typically defend the kid. I want nothing more than to hear the Jake bashers silenced and for him to finish his career as strong as any QB we’ve ever had. But the fact is things aren’t progressing and I feel this season could put a ton of added pressure on him...something he doesn’t seem to handle well. Next season’s schedule is brutal.

Last edited:
All this is way over the top. Over reaction at its best. Just let things play out

By no means do I think it will happen. But as I mentioned in the last couple of posts I think he could succeed somewhere else and I’m not sure he’s going to be able to get it done here.

Driskel was a 5-star QB who led UF to an 11-2 record his sophomore year completing almost 70% of his passes and broke his leg in the 3rd game of the next year. Didn't play as well when he came back the next year (completed about 53% of his passes), so they tried another highly rated QB. Not exactly the same situation.

Driskel was a 5-star QB who led UF to an 11-2 record his sophomore year completing almost 70% of his passes and broke his leg in the 3rd game of the next year. Didn't play as well when he came back the next year (completed about 53% of his passes), so they tried another highly rated QB. Not exactly the same situation.

Doesn’t have to be the same exact situation. He was able to finish his career strong, something he couldn’t get done at Florida. I just think Jake is better than we have seen here. It was 63% of his passes and only for just over 1,600 yards. That defense won the title for Florida. That’s 137 yards per game. Not exactly lightning it up.

He threw for over 4,000 in his senior season at La Tech. Sure you can see the difference there?

Doesn’t have to be the same exact situation. He was able to finish his career strong, something he couldn’t get done at Florida. I just think Jake is better than we have seen here.
Why in the world would you think that? It gets plenty of opportunities to throw the ball, short, long and intermediate, to a variety of receivers and backs. He even makes the decisions on the RPO. There is absolutely nothing holding him back but himself.

Why in the world would you think that? It gets plenty of opportunities to throw the ball, short, long and intermediate, to a variety of receivers and backs. He even makes the decisions on the RPO. There is absolutely nothing holding him back but himself.

Because Jeff Driskel sucked at UF too but threw for over 4,000 yards in his senior season at La Tech and was drafted in the NFL draft. Many experts thought Jake had the tools to be an NFL QB. I’m not saying it’s a sure thing but I’d guarantee he’d have more success in a high powered offense against less competition.

Something just doesn’t add up here. Again, that’s the point of this post. You are basically confirming what I’m saying....it’s clear he probably won’t succeed at SC. So what does he have to lose? Go somewhere in the AAC and see what happens. What does he have to lose?

Again, I don’t think any of this will happen. But I do think it would be Jake’s best personal shot at having a career in football. It’s funny to me that we’ve seen players leave this program only to blossom elsewhere.

8v0royc.gif

Because Jeff Driskel sucked at UF too but threw for over 4,000 yards in his senior season at La Tech and was drafted in the NFL draft. Many experts thought Jake had the tools to be an NFL QB. I’m not saying it’s a sure thing but I’d guarantee he’d have more success in a high powered offense against less competition.

Something just doesn’t add up here. Again, that’s the point of this post. You are basically confirming what I’m saying....it’s clear he probably won’t succeed at SC. So what does he have to lose? Go somewhere in the AAC and see what happens. What does he have to lose?

Again, I don’t think any of this will happen. But I do think it would be Jake’s best personal shot at having a career in football. It’s funny to me that we’ve seen players leave this program only to blossom elsewhere.
After a great year in 2012, here was his stats in 9 games of 2014:
Completions: 114
Attempts: 212
Comp %age: 53.8
Yards: 1,140
TDs: 9
Interceptions: 10

You're telling me you wouldn't have benched him.
He threw a LOT at La. Tech, but still only completed 62% of his passes...not exactly tearing it up.

And who has left this program and blossomed elsewhere?

After a great year in 2012, here was his stats in 9 games of 2014:
Completions: 114
Attempts: 212
Comp %age: 53.8
Yards: 1,140
TDs: 9
Interceptions: 10

You're telling me you wouldn't have benched him.
He threw a LOT at La. Tech, but still only completed 62% of his passes...not exactly tearing it up.

Yes I would’ve benched him. That’s exactly the point! He was terrible under Muschamp. His career was resurrected somewhere else and the guy was drafted by an NFL team. Not many QBs can say that. 62% was obviously good enough to pro scouts.

All we know to this point is no QB has lived up to expectations under Muschamp. So hell, why not give it a shot somewhere else? Fans want him gone anyway.

Yes I would’ve benched him. That’s exactly the point! He was terrible under Muschamp. His career was resurrected somewhere else and the guy was drafted by an NFL team. Not many QBs can say that. 62% was obviously good enough to pro scouts.
Well, he completed 64% and 69% under Muschamp the previous two years.

Well, he completed 64% and 69% under Muschamp the previous two years.

Is that all you care about is completion percentage? 62% is not bad. Heck, many NFL QBs don’t have a career completion percentage that high. How about TDs to Int’s? How about yardage...almost THREE TIMES his highest output at UF. You’ll say, well he threw it more. EXACLTY! I’m not saying this is Muschamps fault. I’m simply saying what would Jake have to lose? He could go somewhere, throw it 400 times against less talented players, in a simple system, gain some confidence and get a fresh start.

Do I want Jake to leave? Hell no. But I do believe it’s his best shot to play football for a living, which is probably slim anyway based on what’s happened so far.

Is that all you care about is completion percentage? How about TDs to Int’s? How about yardage...almost THREE TIMES his highest output at UF. You’ll say, well he threw it more. EXACLTY! I’m not saying this is Muschamps fault. I’m simply saying what would Jake have to lose? He could go somewhere, throw it 400 times against less talented players, in a simple system, gain some confidence and get a fresh start.

Do I want Jake to leave? Hell no. But I do believe it’s his best shot to play football for a living, which is probably slim anyway based on what’s happened so far.
His inaccuracies here would be interceptions in the NFL. He simply is not accurate enough....receivers make catches on balls thrown behind them consistently or slow down for balls thrown short.....those are interceptions in the NFL. And he doesn't have the arm to throw into tight windows like he often tries to do....that caused two interceptions in the past two games.

I truly wonder if he would be a full-time starter if his dad didn't coach here.

His inaccuracies here would be interceptions in the NFL. He simply is not accurate enough....receivers make catches on balls thrown behind them consistently or slow down for balls thrown short.....those are interceptions in the NFL. And he doesn't have the arm to throw into tight windows like he often tries to do....that caused two interceptions in the past two games.

I truly wonder if he would be a full-time starter if his dad didn't coach here.

Every time you criticize Jake you are making my point. He’s bad here. He wasn’t supposed to be. Scouts liked him. He was supposed to have the tools. Something isn’t clicking. Why not try something new?

I doubt Jake has a long NFL career even if things go well. That’s why I said chances are slim anyway. But he could get drafted. He could be in a practice squad. Who knows? It probably wouldn’t happen anyway. That definitely will not happen here.

Jake would be our starter regardless of who is here because we have nobody else to play. That’s not a lot of credit I’m giving to Jake. I still remember how much better we were when Jake came in 2 years ago. We just haven’t improved. But we could still be climbing to this piss poor level with McIlwain or Scarneccia.

I really believe if you and I were sitting across from a table we’d realize we agree more than it seems. I think a lot is lost in the communication through typing. I know I miscommunicate things wrong at times and it’s also easy to focus in on one comment rather than the whole argument which I have also been guilty of in the past.

Again, I don’t think this will happen. I just know as far as Bentley goes here, what you’ve seen is what you get. And that isn’t great for us or for him.

Every time you criticize Jake you are making my point. He’s bad here. He wasn’t supposed to be. Scouts liked him. He was supposed to have the tools. Something isn’t clicking. Why not try something new?

I doubt Jake has a long NFL career even if things go well. That’s why I said chances are slim anyway. But he could get drafted. He could be in a practice squad. Who knows? That will not happen here.

Jake would be our starter regardless of who is here because we have nobody else to play. That’s not a lot of credit I’m giving to Jake. I still remember how much better we were when Jake came in 2 years ago. We just haven’t improved. But we could still be climbing to this piss poor level with McIlwain or Scarneccia.
Well, Muschamp went out and hired one of the best QB coaches available and Jake has not improved...one that has coached top QBs in the SEC. Two reputable QB coaches, same Jake. You figure it out.

Well, Muschamp went out and hired one of the best QB coaches available and Jake has not improved...one that has coached top QBs in the SEC. Two reputable QB coaches, same Jake. You figure it out.

I can’t. That’s the problem. I honestly agree with just about everything you say. My solution is there seems to be no solution here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT